Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Madkal posted:

I learned that you can't read in dreams because of Batman.

A really odd oversight on the Mad Hatter's part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
LOL, Katana and Psylocke combined forms Kokoro, the most Japanese character ever!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

muscles like this? posted:

One kind of skeezy thing the Marvel Heroes developers did was exploit a loophole in Metacritic. They changed the game's name and were able to get it re-rated as if it was a new release, thus ignoring any older reviews.

Considering metacritic isn't really equipped to deal with games that evolve as much as diablo-likes or MMOs, that's fine. A review of vanilla world of warcraft literally has no meaning today.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah, Marvel Heroes was like dogshit bad when it came out, but extensive patching saw it improve to be playable and even fun. But they were still rated at Metacritic of "dogshit bad" due to that initial launch.

They changed the name again this year, and they'll do it again next year.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Did the Amalgam guys run out of ideas by the time they got to JLX? Impulse combined with Quicksilver, Namor combined with Aquaman.

I mean, that's not even Amalgaming anymore.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Please do not bad mouth Quickpulse and Aquamor.

Nah-man?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ghostlight posted:

Please do not bad mouth Quickpulse and Aquamor.

Nah-man?

Mercury and Aqua Mariner

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not the Sub-Aquatic Man. :doh:

I also remember Nightcreeper, who is Nightcrawler but for the lulz; and Captain Marvel, who combines Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel. Except he's a mutant.

They combined Hawkman + Falcon, right? And Green Arrow + Hawkeye? Even in the '90s, I knew they should have gone with Hawkman + Hawkguy.

e: Ah, it was Hawkman + Angel. Close enough.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 7, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quickpulse would actually be a kickass name for a superhero. I've gotta steal that someday.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I would read 100 issues of Bat-Thing

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Seriously, a gritty, street-level police procedural about the cops, the criminals and the civilians of Gotham, and every now and then the loving Bat-Thing flies in and melts the bad guys face

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ATTN JASON TODD COLLECTORS: an appearance you probably overlooked!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Huh. Weird that came a decade before Red Hood.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

boom boom boom posted:

Anybody here read Conqueror of the Barren Earth? It's on old DC 4 issue mini. The first issue, it's the future, a spaceship is sent out to rediscover Earth. It gets attacked by aliens, gets blowed up, the single survivor is a short haired blonde lady who allies with a couple tribes and decides to unite the Earth against the aliens. It ends on a cliff hanger with her captured by this barbarian warlord. I read it, and was like, holy poo poo, this owns. Why did this not go anywhere? The really need to bring back Conqueror of the Barren Earth!

Second issue. The barbarian demands the blonde lady be his bride, she tries to kill him, so he makes her his slave. Makes her walk along the mounted tribe, makes her wear a sexy harem lady outfit, etc. ends with her proclaiming her love for him and begging to be his bride. Not even a wink to the audience or a "I need him to think he's broken me" thought bubble.

So I guess that's why nobody talks about it, no one read past the second issue
I've heard of it!

(collects all the Warlord backups and the 4-issue mini that closes the story out)

Don't worry, she completely shivs his rear end in the last issue and it's pretty great when it happens.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 7, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No matter how many times I reread Miracleman the sudden massive tonal shift in the final book always knocks me for a loop.

I love it though. I think it holds up better than V in a lot of ways.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, since February is the designated month of romance, I've been considering setting up a thread to celebrate couples in comics. Anyone think it's threadworthy?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Die Laughing posted:

I think you're thinking of Avengers Alliance.

Egg meet face. I should probably try Marvel Heroes actually.

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, since February is the designated month of romance, I've been considering setting up a thread to celebrate couples in comics. Anyone think it's threadworthy?

:justpost:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Yvonmukluk posted:

This forum is really heavily tilted towards megathreads, so the worst that could happen is it gets a short run and then sits on page 2.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

Lightning Lord posted:

Egg meet face.

:yeah:

:hellyeah:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This forum is really heavily tilted towards megathreads, so the worst that could happen is it gets a short run and then sits on page 2.

I think that megathread bias makes BSS less active, or at least less inviting. Conversations inside a megathread tend to sputter out after tge first few pages, kicking back in when there's a new issue of the megathread's topic. At the same time, I suspect that someone who just wants to bullshit about Beta Ray Bill or whatever is less likely to do so if the Thor thread is a few dozen pages long—who wants to either read up for a few hundred posts (or pages), or feel like they're derailing ongoing conversation?

I want to post some more focused threads to try and tilt the balance, but it's just annoying enough to prep a new thread on my phone that I haven't yet had the gumption.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And if you want to take the argument a step further, I'm not convinced that we need lightly-trafficked threads for Spider-Man, the X-men, Superman, etc. plus moderately-trafficked (in a good week) threads for general Marvel and DC. We're terrible at staying on-topic in those threads anyway: witness the long derail in the X-men thread about Superman and the Fantastic Four. If they're all going to be effectively general threads, just fold all the Marvel and DC discussion into the general Marvel and DC threads for a few months. Let the pace of conversation step up within them. Wait until April or May before breaking out character/franchise megathreads again, if desired.

(Not that it would be the end of the world if someone stumbled in and drunkposted a well-intentioned HOOFDOK, AIM'S PSYCHIC HORSE MEGATHREAD in that time; I'm thinking more of an informal understanding among BSS regulars, to refrain from posting such.)

e: So like a MARVEL GENERAL MAGNA-THREAD that catches the discussion of ongoings and random chatter, alongside a Let's Read Walt Simonson's Thor thread, an Apocalypse - The Twelve thread, and a Panel-by-Panel Fumetti Remake of Every Issue of Dick Rider Nova vol. 2 Using Heroclix Hot Glued to Rhyno's Ceiling While He's Sleeping thread.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 7, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hm...I'm getting mixed signals here.

So you're saying I shouldn't post the thread?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It would go 20 pages just before you finish talking about Cyclops.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hm...I'm getting mixed signals here.

So you're saying I shouldn't post the thread?

Make the loving thread!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lightning Lord posted:

Make the loving thread!

I made the loving thread!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Wait so what happened to Egg Fu 2, 3, and 4 then? Are there unaccounted Eggs Fu?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
What shocks me is that it apparently hatched from another egg, like some kind of racist Chinese matryoshka doll.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Like you weren't born from a slightly larger person.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

CapnAndy posted:

Wait so what happened to Egg Fu 2, 3, and 4 then? Are there unaccounted Eggs Fu?

There are. There are only two appearances of Egg Fu in the Silver Age, and this is the second one.

The first appearance of Egg Fu is one of the weirdest comics ever, and I think Egg Fu is maybe only the third weirdest thing in it.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Benito Cereno posted:

There are. There are only two appearances of Egg Fu in the Silver Age, and this is the second one.

The first appearance of Egg Fu is one of the weirdest comics ever, and I think Egg Fu is maybe only the third weirdest thing in it.
Oh my God there are unaccounted Eggs Fu and nobody's ever done anything with that? I have lost a great deal of respect for literally everyone who's ever written a comic book ever today.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

CapnAndy posted:

Oh my God there are unaccounted Eggs Fu and nobody's ever done anything with that? I have lost a great deal of respect for literally everyone who's ever written a comic book ever today.

In sure given the chance Morrison would make then pivotal characters in Final Crisis 2.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ghostlight posted:

Like you weren't born from a slightly larger person.

...Touche.

Madkal posted:

In sure given the chance Morrison would make then pivotal characters in Final Crisis 2.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

s-same...??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

52'S EGG-FU: A BRIEF ASSESSMENT

Good: MODOK with the creepy↔comedic slider centered

Bad: Difficult to write without slipping into actual comedy or grim, bloody overcompensation

Ugly: Impossible not to make him at least a little bit racist—just completely impossible

Conclusion: It's best that you go away, my ovoid friend. I'll never forget you. :sadwave:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
When her hair is short, my sister looks exactly like Squirrel Girl's new look. I've always wanted to get the latest series for her, but it's got so many superhero in jokes, I'm not sure it's very accessible.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's got plenty of normal jokes too, and the references don't really weigh it down.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Don't the Deadpool cards help?

The letters pages are full of six year old girl fans/readers. The comic is probably fine for just about any new person.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 8, 2016

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I guess I should probably read the first couple of issues again, it's been ages and my memory is terrible.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I hate the months-long process of unpacking from a move. Pretty sure I got a mild not-hospital-worthy-but-enjoy-headaches-and-intermittent-nausea-for-days concussion when, while unpacking today, I slammed my head into a goddamn cabinet door made in whatever period of history it was when people thought it :krad: to make built-in cabinetry from the heaviest, hardest goddamn wood they could grab.

Since you've been kind enough to read my bitching above, here as compensation is a picture of Grizzly Atoms (lower right) & friends:

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Madkal posted:

You may know this, but he already made Egg Fu a pivotal character in 52, so I wouldn't put it past him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Given the choice, what two Infinity Gems would you want to control?

• Locked thread