Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

First of all, Happy New Year!

That's right, chums: February means Chinese New Year, so here are Great Ten Things to Do in the Chat Thread!
  • BS with BSS: A chat thread is a :krad: place to post any sort of crap. Have a weird dream? See a terrible movie? Eat a sandwich? Go ahead and tell us.
  • PYF Comics Goats: February also means Lupercalia—time to dress the thread in goatskin to banish evil spirits.
  • Derail: If conversation has wandered too far afield of its thread's topic, move it to the chat thread.
  • Mummies: We haven't even begun to explore the wonder, the power, and the potential of mummies in comics—or in our hearts.
  • Deadpool: February includes both World Cancer Day, and the release of the Deadpool movie. Both events are important moments in the struggle for a cure. Discuss this beautiful, awareness-raising film, and celebrate Fox’s choice to release it.
  • Marmots: Of course, the second of the month is Marmot Day, celebrating Alaska’s heritage and larger squirrel-like rodents. Post weird Squirrel Girl and/or Alaska fan art.
  • The Gipper: Since the sixth is Ronald Reagan Day, this month is the perfect time to discuss comics’ unusually many depictions of Hawk’s and Hawkman’s favorite POTUS.
  • Romance: Of course, we can't forget the softer side of the month: Freedom to Marry Day, on the 12th! Combine that with Canadian Flag Day, and celebrate the most important maple-clad married man in comics: Northstar!
  • Mummies: Mummies…mummies...MUMMIES…MUMMIES!!!!! :siren:MUUUUMMIIIIIIEEEES!!!!!!!!!:siren:
  • 29 Days: In honor of the shortest month, let's talk about the shortest man in the shortest comic. That's right, chums: February is Ziggypalooza!

Welp that's the op, let's chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

Werewolves rule, mummies drool.

I will meet this challenge, on the field of European erotic horror comic covers:

(mildly) :nws: Werewolf :nws:

:nws: Mummy :nws:

ADVANTAGE: MUMMIES

quod erat demonstrandum

Rhyno posted:

Deadpool hates balls.

While impressive, that's nothing compared to the level of thrilling ball-handling peril you'll find in mummy comics!

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 31, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

Savage Dragon has always seemed too dumb & juvenile to me, and that doesn't help.

Haven't read it, but based on the above, it sounds dumb and sophisticated. Goofy pop-trash, done with craft.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

DrProsek posted:

I said at some point I'd make it my monthly chat thread gimmick to tie in every post I made to a random X-Men character each month but even ignoring how tedious to read that would be, I also realized there's no good "random X-Men picker" tool I can find, or even a list of every X-Men in a simple list I can copy and paste anywhere so I guess this is me officially saying I'm not going to do that unless I can find that random X-Men picker.

Although my other chatthread commitment of reading one backlogged TPB I own a month worked out. Harbinger Vol 1 was pretty good. It's the first volume of a series and is mostly doing setup so it's hard to have too many strong feelings, but I'd totally check out Vol 2 once I have time/have cut down on my existing backlog. Still gotta pick a book for next month.

I will do it

me

I can be the picker

and this month
your character

is Buford Wilson
aka

Beef

Beef

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Madkal posted:

You jerks are making me nostalgic for Hackers and I didn't even like the movie the first time around.
Speaking about crappy 90's movies, any other guilty pleasures for folks here from stuff from the 90's? I am still partial to Spawn myself.

I am to this day not entirely un-fond of Earth: Final Conflict. The first season had a handful of great ideas, executed about as poorly as possible—but the ideas were there! And the show predicted smartphones more accurately than anything else on television did which is neat.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SHOCK MY BAUDIN' ZARKS, A GIGABYTE?????

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

This is absolutely a war crime.

Guessing that you mean the low-effort background.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

My principles force me to suggest burning the Brian Wood book and eating the ashes on a hamburger bun.

No see you misread, those comics aren't the ones with Beef.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you have a good way of reselling the trades you don't want, it could be fun. Otherwise, it's a great way to have a bunch of things you'll never read/re-read sitting on your shelves.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Lurdiak is a super thoughtful guy and I think that's commendable.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Alaois posted:

just sittin on the bus, reading Incognegro, listening to Turbonegro and wearing my Jean-Michel Basquiat "Irony of the Negro Policeman" print t-shirt

This is during your vacation in Montenegro, right? Where you carried that flask full of pre-mixed negroni?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Nice to see DC animation willing to go outside of their house style, even if I'm not sure this is the best fit for The Obsidian Age.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Mummies: The Most Versatile Characters

Mummies work in all genres.

Superhero:

Comedy:

Romance:

Science fiction:

Crime:

Military action:

Child's adventure:

Sword & planet:

Mystery:

Pulp noir:

Giant fetish:

Medical drama:

Man:

Things written in devanagari:

As you can see, there is no type of fiction that cannot be improved by adding one or more mummies.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 4, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Original recipe Trek is Twilight Zone with a steady cast of characters.

—an observation I stole from a friend

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The twist was one of the TZ's stylistic signatures, but it was almost always in service of an episode's larger exploration of the shape of our humanity. Trek was all about that exploration, with some fun asides for like gangster world or a lady who turns into a cat, but saved time on character introductions by coming at you every week with the same Dr. Pathos, Mr. Logos, and Captain Ethos (+ supporting cast like Drunk Mechanic).

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Zachack posted:

I feel the main difference and what really makes them different shows is that ST was much more focused on societal concepts vs TZ's focus on individuals. Plus being able to kill off or abandon the characters results in very different types of stories. TZ (and Outer Limits) share a lot with the type of storytelling found in the EC comics line, while ST is definitely not.

Edit: having those established characters is part of what really changes things, as TZ rarely dealt with established group dynamics in the way ST did. It's like comparing Law & Order to Murder, She Wrote or Divorce Court.

I think the second paragraph there is true enough that the first paragraph doesn't matter, which is good because I think a bunch of the assumptions in it are inaccurate. (TZ was all the hell about social dynamics, probably more than it was about individual people. Trek killed off redshirts and guest characters by the truckload.)

achillesforever6 posted:

Meanwhile Jean looks blazed as gently caress

(From another thread.) Imagine what it'd be like if an untrained super-telepath got high as poo poo. Her brainwaves would probably give the entire county a contact high.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

WickedHate posted:

As did James Bond Jr.

Aaaaaand now that theme song is stuck in my head all day.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I just assumed that was running through your head 24/7.

Oh Rhyno, you always know the truth of my innermost self. 👨‍❤️‍💋‍👨

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

Found some Amalgam Comis at the used book shop. Gonna read the poo poo out of Magneto And His Magnetic Men.

That comic is no bullshit the reason I to this day remember what diamagnetism is. Big "ups", as the youth say, to both it and X-Patrol.

e: And Super-Soldier. And Spider-Boy. And Bat-Thing, Dark Claw Adventures, Generation Hex, Lobo the Duck, the Challengers of the Fantastic...

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 6, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not the Sub-Aquatic Man. :doh:

I also remember Nightcreeper, who is Nightcrawler but for the lulz; and Captain Marvel, who combines Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel. Except he's a mutant.

They combined Hawkman + Falcon, right? And Green Arrow + Hawkeye? Even in the '90s, I knew they should have gone with Hawkman + Hawkguy.

e: Ah, it was Hawkman + Angel. Close enough.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 7, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

ATTN JASON TODD COLLECTORS: an appearance you probably overlooked!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yvonmukluk posted:

So, since February is the designated month of romance, I've been considering setting up a thread to celebrate couples in comics. Anyone think it's threadworthy?

:justpost:

Lightning Lord posted:

Egg meet face.

:yeah:

:hellyeah:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This forum is really heavily tilted towards megathreads, so the worst that could happen is it gets a short run and then sits on page 2.

I think that megathread bias makes BSS less active, or at least less inviting. Conversations inside a megathread tend to sputter out after tge first few pages, kicking back in when there's a new issue of the megathread's topic. At the same time, I suspect that someone who just wants to bullshit about Beta Ray Bill or whatever is less likely to do so if the Thor thread is a few dozen pages long—who wants to either read up for a few hundred posts (or pages), or feel like they're derailing ongoing conversation?

I want to post some more focused threads to try and tilt the balance, but it's just annoying enough to prep a new thread on my phone that I haven't yet had the gumption.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

And if you want to take the argument a step further, I'm not convinced that we need lightly-trafficked threads for Spider-Man, the X-men, Superman, etc. plus moderately-trafficked (in a good week) threads for general Marvel and DC. We're terrible at staying on-topic in those threads anyway: witness the long derail in the X-men thread about Superman and the Fantastic Four. If they're all going to be effectively general threads, just fold all the Marvel and DC discussion into the general Marvel and DC threads for a few months. Let the pace of conversation step up within them. Wait until April or May before breaking out character/franchise megathreads again, if desired.

(Not that it would be the end of the world if someone stumbled in and drunkposted a well-intentioned HOOFDOK, AIM'S PSYCHIC HORSE MEGATHREAD in that time; I'm thinking more of an informal understanding among BSS regulars, to refrain from posting such.)

e: So like a MARVEL GENERAL MAGNA-THREAD that catches the discussion of ongoings and random chatter, alongside a Let's Read Walt Simonson's Thor thread, an Apocalypse - The Twelve thread, and a Panel-by-Panel Fumetti Remake of Every Issue of Dick Rider Nova vol. 2 Using Heroclix Hot Glued to Rhyno's Ceiling While He's Sleeping thread.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 7, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

s-same...??

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

52'S EGG-FU: A BRIEF ASSESSMENT

Good: MODOK with the creepy↔comedic slider centered

Bad: Difficult to write without slipping into actual comedy or grim, bloody overcompensation

Ugly: Impossible not to make him at least a little bit racist—just completely impossible

Conclusion: It's best that you go away, my ovoid friend. I'll never forget you. :sadwave:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I hate the months-long process of unpacking from a move. Pretty sure I got a mild not-hospital-worthy-but-enjoy-headaches-and-intermittent-nausea-for-days concussion when, while unpacking today, I slammed my head into a goddamn cabinet door made in whatever period of history it was when people thought it :krad: to make built-in cabinetry from the heaviest, hardest goddamn wood they could grab.

Since you've been kind enough to read my bitching above, here as compensation is a picture of Grizzly Atoms (lower right) & friends:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Given the choice, what two Infinity Gems would you want to control?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Reality gem would be tempting as heck, but if I had Power +Time, I don't think I'd miss it. As much fun as dicking around with laws of physics etc. would be, I think I'd end up getting more absolute enjoyment out of unrestrained time-travel shenanigans.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Reality and Power gems don't, as far as I know, have any sensory aspect. Space, Time, Mind, and Soul each give you some ability to understand and study the thing that the gem able to affect. (Maybe Power gives some sort of energy-sense?) Reality on its own makes for a great monkey's paw, if you're not careful.

Plus, the Reality Gem alters reality directly. Want something? Want the world to be something? It's done. Over the long term, that seems like it would get p. unsatisfying. There's no challenge, delayed gratification, or possibility of not getting what you want. And since it's a non-sensory gem, you can't try to assuage your boredom by chillaxing and studying things for a while, until you get some new ideas.

If you gave me one use of any of the gems, though, I'd probably pick Reality.

e: Were the gems created intentionally to work together? If so, it makes sense that four (or five) of them exist primarily to let the user handle the Reality Gem in a competent and informed manner, and the Power Gem gives the whole setup its oomph.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 10, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The Soul Gem should definitely confer some wisdom, imo. Otherwise, lovely gem that just fights ghosts???

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you had the whole gauntlet, you could use the four sensory gems to crowdsource wisdom from everyone who had ever lived. Add the Reality Gem, and you could conference in every possible version of every possible person.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

SynthOrange posted:

I'll take the butt and boob gem.

Imagining Thanos in the Infinity Corset now, having some powerful new feelings.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Gonna meatship Lurdiak x Sausages. 👴 💘 🌭

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Vincent posted:

I never got the whole "bacon" internet thing. Bacon isn't even that good.

It's the right balance of good enough, accessible, easy to make, and funny-sounding word. The perfect blend for Internet Meat.

e: And if you eat it about as often as is healthy to eat it, it's honestly great. I always loved it growing up, when my mom made it for breakfast. It was an uncommon morning delight.

Got to get one of her breakfast casserole recipes, now that I think about it.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 10, 2016

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

If you think about it, insanity is just another form of ghostfight.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Not even the Infinity Gauntlet lets you drink from the Stan Lee Cup.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

It's not a backlog, it's a library. :colbert: It's a sad person who doesn't own more books than they'll ever be able to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

TwoPair posted:

As far as well adjusted immortals go, didn't DC One Million have Superman and Lois living happily ever after in the center of the sun or something like that?

That's "and they lived happily ever after", which is narratively different from a character who's all "can't die but feelin' fly" as the story unfolds.

And it's not a comic, but the guy in The Man from Earth is p. emotionally with-it, despite being older than than agriculture.

Tangent here: Immortal cave man is a great archetype and I'm glad it pops up in any sci-fi/pulp setting that runs long enough.

• Locked thread