Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Way back when I first started doing LPs on Something Awful, I started with an LP of Gobliiins, a quirky, nonsensical, and very difficult game, intending to go through all three games in the series. Technical limitations got in the way, and I burned out at the end of the second game. I didn't have it in me to do a bonus video for that LP, let alone take on the third game. Now that technology has caught up to my needs and I've got a lot more experience at making videos of games, what say we take it from the top and revisit the games, doing them a bit more justice this time?

Welcome to the Gobliiins series by Coktel Vision Software, the French developer who brought us Woodruff and the Schnibble, Lost in Time, and Urban Runner, among many other adventure games. Coktel's games all share a similar type of logic which can be summed up thus: Whatever you think makes sense, fuhgeddaboutit. The correct answer is always the last thing you try, and even when you've solved a puzzle, it's not always obvious what you've accomplished or why you've done it. At least this series doesn't have us wearing a Poohsmurgl and eating Boozouioli while chanting around a Chprotznog in the center of Vlrxtrznbnaxl. (A sentence that actually makes sense in another context.) Instead, we go to a variety of distant places and do equally strange things.

The Gobliiins series features a somewhat unique gameplay element, at least for its time - multiple controllable characters, each with his own skills and abilities that will be needed to complete the game's objectives. Sometimes, that adds to the complexity of the puzzles by forcing you to think about which character is best suited for a particular action. At other times, it just means they had to shoehorn in more reasons for punching to be the solution to life's problems. Not that I mind, exactly.

So, in the spirit of sharing puzzle-solving duties between two or more characters, I've decided to do this LP in two distinct styles, concurrently. In one set of videos, I'll be going through the CD versions of the games in my usual style, which will be familiar to anyone who's watched any of my adventure game LPs before. (If you haven't, my biased opinion is that you should, but you don't need to do that before starting this one.) In the other set, a guest commentator will be trying to solve the puzzles in the floppy versions with me as their mostly benevolent but also aloof guide, keeping them on track without providing more direction than they need, so you can get the proper outsider's perspective on how difficult the games are when you don't know what you're doing. You can watch either set of videos, or both, or even neither, although if you don't watch any of the videos, you're probably just wasting your time even reading this thread at this point.

Updates are likely to be pretty slow because I'll need to coordinate with my guest to record the guest videos, but I'll try to keep on top of things enough to keep a steady pace and post the videos for future updates as I finish them rather than waiting to release a batch all at once. I'll also correlate the videos in each set so you can switch back and forth if you want without missing any of the game content. There will almost always be more videos with a guest to cover the same amount of the game, since I know the quickest way to get through everything while the guest will have to figure them out as they go. You'll see what I mean. So sit back, grab a can of Kindness Elixir, pull on your shaded sunglasses, and watch us present all four - yes, FOUR - Gobliiins games.

Gobliiins
Guest videos with Leavemywife:
Part 1-1: "I know I shouldn't, but I feel so stupid right now." Polsy Youtube
Part 1-2: "So were there certain puzzles you were thinking, 'He's never gonna figure this poo poo out'?" Polsy Youtube
Part 2-1: "There's gotta be some poor gently caress out there who understands this. He's sitting in a cave, eating his own feces, works at Wal-Mart, and he's got cicada husks for shoes, and I am not that level of batshit crazy." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-2: "You've gotta be loving kidding me. How the he- oh, all right, whatever." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-1: "Okay, we found a buttplug." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-2: "Can we, like, light his pants on fire to wake him up?" Polsy Youtube
Part 3-3: "I feel so accomplished... What the friggedy-gently caress is this?" Polsy Youtube
Part 4-1: "You have no idea how badly I just want to Google these puzzle solutions." Polsy Youtube
Part 4-2: "What is this, the final boss fight? What the hell's going on?" Polsy Youtube

Solo videos:
Part 1: Helping the wrong side Polsy Youtube
Part 2: A surprising number of skeletons Polsy Youtube
Part 3: Rip van Shadwinkle Polsy Youtube
Part 4: I've had tacos more supreme than this weapon Polsy Youtube

Gobliins 2
Guest videos with Leavemywife:
Part 1-1: "All right, this is gonna sound strange, but stick your sausage in the hole." Polsy Youtube
Part 1-2: "I loving quit." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-1: "It looks like he's got that string coming out of his rear end. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-2: "Hey! Are you always nekkid? Fantastic." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-3: "I should've guessed we were using the mushroom to make drugs." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-1: "Let's go offer Focus some mayonnaise for his meat. I really wish I had that phrased better." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-2: "I will kill your family." Polsy Youtube
Part 4: "All right, go through that convoluted series of events again." Polsy Youtube
Guest videos with The Splash:
Part 5-1: "We were gonna get salty at some point, I'm sure." Polsy Youtube
Part 5-2: "So now we can stick our head freely into orifices without fear." Polsy Youtube
Part 5-3: "C'mon Winkle! I always cheer him on because I expect him to do the worst possible thing." Polsy Youtube
Part 6-1: "I'm getting P.E. flashbacks." Polsy Youtube
Part 6-2: "So we've got a bowl, and we need mushrooms... is this California?" Polsy Youtube
Part 6-3: "I'm gonna turn this into a drinking game." Polsy Youtube
Part 7-1: "Attack the demon with a projectile Winkle. Can you think of anything scarier than that?" Polsy Youtube
Part 7-2: "This level's going to be the DEATH of me." Polsy Youtube

Solo videos:
Part 1: Okay, EVERYBODY gets to starve but the giant Polsy Youtube
Part 2: Trenches and Trees, Music and Mushrooms Polsy Youtube
Part 3: The Key to the Chest with the Carved Fish Polsy Youtube
Part 4: Fools of Ships Polsy Youtube
Part 5: Some Kind of Elixir Polsy Youtube
Part 6: Two and a Half Kidnappings Polsy Youtube
Bonus video: The Epic Quest for Water Polsy Youtube
Part 7: The Land of Gloom and Doom Polsy Youtube

Goblins 3
Part 1-1: "Even with a coin, there's no change." Polsy Youtube
Part 1-2: "Of all things I expect to be a thing, I expect that thing to still be a thing." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-1: "Finally, something goes the way I was thinking it should go!" Polsy Youtube
Part 2-2: "I need to look through these videos and take a tally on how many seesaws have been made or utilized in some way in this series." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-3: "What am I gonna put my ukulele on now?" Polsy Youtube
Part 3-1: "That's not a doinamoite! THIS is a doinamoite!" Polsy Youtube
Part 3-2: "There are limits to curiosity. Spaghetti on the ground? Don't do it." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-3: "It's like cooking with Rayman." Polsy Youtube
Part 4-1: "It's the father of Master Hand from Super Smash Bros! In that case, I'm glad we're on Normal difficulty." Polsy Youtube
Part 4-2: "Don't drop the soap! Trust me." Polsy Youtube
Part 5-1: "Can we give the giant a growth elixir?" Polsy Youtube
Part 5-2: "I can't stop looking at the absurdity of the whole thing. It's hard to make a comment. Everything is silly. It's great. We knocked out a goat." Polsy Youtube
Part 5-3: "I want this exact screen, subtitle and everything, just plastered on the side of a van." Polsy Youtube
Part 6-1: "I'm never entirely sure when we're talking about a group of eight pixels." Polsy Youtube
Part 6-2: "Should we shoot the kid?" Polsy Youtube
Part 6-3: "This is why you don't let QA do a Let's Play." Polsy Youtube
Part 7-1: "I think tiny books are the epitome. Just really obscenely tiny books are probably the most ridiculous things in existence." Polsy Youtube
Part 7-2: "If you tell me I can't shove a horse into things, the first thing I want to do is shove a horse into things." Polsy Youtube
Part 7-3: "Am I making this too exciting?" Polsy Youtube
Part 8-1: "I'm getting some Twin Peaks flashbacks." Polsy Youtube
Part 8-2: "If I was stuck on a cliff because I rode a magical flying crygoldfish across a castle and the only thing I could do was either hop off, jump down into, I'm guessing, a giant orifice in the corner there, or grab a dragon pickle, I would grab the dragon pickle." Polsy Youtube
Part 8-3: "I can't imagine what playing this game would be like if I had to drink every time I made a wrong decision." Polsy Youtube
Part 9: "Everything is quacking in this last level. Stage. Area." Polsy Youtube

Solo videos:
Part 1: Blount's covering a war, you know Polsy Youtube
Part 2: Bat and Dragon and Mouse Polsy Youtube
Part 3: Consequences always come back to bite someone Polsy Youtube
Part 4: Faster than a speeding bullet, yet unable to leap small gaps between buildings Polsy Youtube
Part 5: Blount and Ooya's Magical Adventure Polsy Youtube
Part 5-2: The Shadow of Colossus Polsy Youtube
Part 6: Headgear and Footwear Polsy Youtube
Part 7: How about a messed-up game of chess? Polsy Youtube
Part 8: Scrambled Egg Polsy Youtube
Part 9: Hate to spring this ending on you Polsy Youtube

Gobliiins 4
Part 1-1: "Please don't make me take the gherkin out of the bird." Polsy Youtube
Part 1-2: "Take that, game! I've solved your second-screen mystery puzzle!" Polsy Youtube
Part 1-3: "Man, I love that this level is just making skeletons vomit. That's the whole level." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-1: "So the one thing we haven't figured out is how to also get Stucco to the other side. And also everything else." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-2: "I apologize to any feet people that may be watching this video." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-3: "Use stick plus bear's navel is probably the way that somebody has died in the past." Polsy Youtube
Part 2-4: "Don't worry. At this pace, we'll have this done... probably by about four in the morning." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-1: "There's something wrong with this old man. I'm sending him back. Get a new one." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-2: "Get in there. Get in your hell pit." Polsy Youtube
Part 3-3: "All right, let's do it! Let's put - let's just... pea everywhere." Polsy Youtube
Bonus video: "If I ever die, make sure no one eats my sandwiches." Polsy Youtube
Part 4-1: "This has to be the only game where I want to do something, but I don't actually know if I want it to work or not." Polsy Youtube
Part 4-2: "(unintelligible whining)" Polsy Youtube
Part 4-3: "Is this the level?" Polsy Youtube
Interlude: "It doesn't even have a line to it! It's just a bump!" Polsy Youtube
Part 5-1: "Did I just kill a vegetable?" Polsy Youtube
Part 5-2: "If you ever want to introduce someone to this game, just show them the last five seconds." Polsy Youtube
Part 5-3: "I'm saying all kinds of sentences for the first time in my life, every time we do a recording." Polsy Youtube
Part 5-4: "It just hit me, these guys have some serious thigh gap." Polsy Youtube
Part 6-1: "Man, this reminds me of back when I did tech support." Polsy Youtube
Part 6-2: "Probably should do something besides trying to grab everything in space." Polsy Youtube
Part 6-3: "Oh, this is a piece of cake." Polsy Youtube

Solo videos:
Part 1: Detective Tchoup gathers his friends Polsy Youtube
Part 2: Riri ranran Polsy Youtube
Part 3: Hey, Vern! It's Gobliiins! Polsy Youtube
Part 4: It's about this point when I realized that we could probably just keep riding these animals and never stop Polsy Youtube
Part 5: I've Found the Weed; You Can't Fool Me Polsy Youtube
Part 6: Well, that takes the cake. Polsy Youtube

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Grabbing the second post in case I need it later...

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Awesome. I liked those games a kid. In hindsight they are kind of bullshit sometimes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Air is lava! posted:

Awesome. I liked those games a kid. In hindsight they are kind of bullshit sometimes.

Don't worry. Now that I'm playing the games for you, you can shed the blinders of hindsight and see that they are in fact kind of bullshit all the time. But still fun and interesting for that.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I think I tried to play gobliiins 2 or 3 on some 500 games on a cd thing. I made it 2 screens. Good luck Leavemywife!

grimlock_master
Nov 1, 2013

Fuck you, suzie

Major_JF posted:

I think I tried to play gobliiins 2 or 3 on some 500 games on a cd thing. I made it 2 screens. Good luck Leavemywife!

Oh god I had 3 on such a disk myself when i was a kid. That game was buuuuullshiiiiit

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Will you be doing the fourth one as well? That one was the fairest of them.

e: reading is hard

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 31, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Nidoking posted:

Don't worry. Now that I'm playing the games for you, you can shed the blinders of hindsight and see that they are in fact kind of bullshit all the time. But still fun and interesting for that.

I don't know. I think I had some genuine fun with he third game at least. The part with the picture in you OP was interesting.
The thing I remember most about the second game is that my copy always crashed on the second to last screen

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 21, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I will be sure to point out where, in the first two games, I had to resort to hint books to proceed. In the third game, it will be much faster to mention the screens where I DIDN'T have to use hints. I think there were three of them. And I mean three individual screens, not three parts of the game. I did a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling back in the day.

The fourth game I completed without any outside help. The last level took absolutely forever, but most of the rest wasn't too bad. It's pretty much the first game again, but with no health bar.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I don't want to even imagine how much editing you did to get past all of the sitting around and thinking that I did.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

I don't want to even imagine how much editing you did to get past all of the sitting around and thinking that I did.

Honestly, the only thing I had to do editing-wise was compensate for a recording issue where the game audio got time-distorted, likely because it was silent for too long near the end of that recording segment. From now on, I'll probably idly move the characters every so often just to have footsteps to keep the timing, at least until we get to the second game and there's music. It probably feels longer when you're the one trying to solve the puzzles.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

I'm glad you're doing this, these games are ridiculous and I'd like the chance to experience them where it's not going to be me with a headache (thanks Leavemywife).

I'm particularly looking forward to Gobliiins 2 and have just done a GIS to find the part I feel like I spent years stuck on as a kid, which may well have been the first screen. I'd like to see how much was child stupidity and how much was genuinely awful logic.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
Finding that little plant at the base of the statue's hand took me years to figure out. But holy poo poo, there's a Goblins 4?! Why isn't it on Steam or Gog? I don't even know how to buy video games that aren't on one of those platforms anymore.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

MartianAgitator posted:

Finding that little plant at the base of the statue's hand took me years to figure out. But holy poo poo, there's a Goblins 4?! Why isn't it on Steam or Gog? I don't even know how to buy video games that aren't on one of those platforms anymore.

It was released much, much later (2009). Can't find it for sale anymore.

gschmidl fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Feb 1, 2016

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Oh goodie, I needed some motivation to finish the first 2 games.

...:smithicide:

Fwoderwick posted:

Gobliiins 2
It's Gobliins 2. 3 i's for the first game, two for the second, one for the third.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Pierzak posted:

Oh goodie, I needed some motivation to finish the first 2 games.

...:smithicide:

It's Gobliins 2. 3 i's for the first game, two for the second, one for the third.

so shouldn't the fourth be "goblns 4"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Acne Rain posted:

It shouldn't be many things. :v:

Or it might be based on the number of characters you control at a time, or something.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

MartianAgitator posted:

But holy poo poo, there's a Goblins 4?! Why isn't it on Steam or Gog? I don't even know how to buy video games that aren't on one of those platforms anymore.

I got mine from the unfortunately named Gamersgate, where it comes with the first three games as an extra. You just can't install both the original trilogy and 4 at the same time, for whatever reason. I think there are a couple of other sites that have it, but I don't know offhand what those are. If you get your copy from Gamersgate, be aware that the license key they give you only covers one installation, but you can get another key by E-mailing support.

Acne Rain posted:

No, it's Gobliiins 4 because you have three characters again, basically the same three as in the original game but with different names. Or maybe the original names before the English-language version changed them. I don't know which is the case. I'll talk a bit more about the details of later games when we get there, but they're Gobliiins, Gobliins 2, Goblins 3 (or "Goblin's Quest 3" in the U.S. both to fit with Sierra's other titles and because a single character isn't usually referred to in the plural), and Gobliiins 4.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Ah yes, Gobliiins. For some reason I really loved this game - I had the floppy version on the Amiga. In retrospect, I don't know why I loved it, because it's crap.

I don't think I ever got out of that dungeon and I remember absolutely nothing about Gobliins or Goblins, even though I know I owned them both. I don't think I can bear watching Leavemywife's pain, so I'll stick with your solo cd LP, I think.

I'm looking forward to watching this entire thing, purely to see the answer to these "puzzles" that have gone unanswered for so many years.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Conversely, I love the Leavemywife edition because it's kind of fun to see if I can recall how the solutions to the different screens went from the older videos before he gets it. Also the schadenfreude of screwy adventure game logic never fails to amuse me.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette
Watching the first video is a surreal experience. I can remember every element of this game, but I have no real memory of playing this game, this should be an interesting experience in half memories and forgotten parts of childhood.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
These games are the worst and i love them.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I hate to do this so early in the LP, but obviously, there's been a delay in new videos and it's going to continue for a while. Leavemywife's schedule was pretty full until this weekend, and my mom was involved in a car accident yesterday that's left her too functional for a hospital stay, but not really able to do much on her own. I'm taking care of her this week and can't do any LP work until she's able to handle herself. I've got something else in the works that should help bridge the gap, but obviously, that's out too until I'm back home.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Nidoking posted:

I hate to do this so early in the LP, but obviously, there's been a delay in new videos and it's going to continue for a while. Leavemywife's schedule was pretty full until this weekend, and my mom was involved in a car accident yesterday that's left her too functional for a hospital stay, but not really able to do much on her own. I'm taking care of her this week and can't do any LP work until she's able to handle herself. I've got something else in the works that should help bridge the gap, but obviously, that's out too until I'm back home.

By all means please do not feel any pressure to tide anyone over while you have actual problems. Best of luck and a speedy recovery to Nidomom!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I hope your mom recovers as quick as she can. Focus on that, and don't worry about giving us content.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
No worries Nidoking, thanks for keeping us up to date.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

For some good news for this thread, folks, Nidoking and I recorded another video (or two) today!

I think my head is threatening to explode from some of the applications of logic.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Oh man I loved this series as a kid!

The mummy level still dredges up some old anxiety for me.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

I think my head is threatening to explode from some of the applications of logic.

Head explosion is much more of a Goblins 3 thing. They go for more slapstick humor in that one.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Awesome. I loved those games and played them as a kid (in post-Soviet Russia) on a black and white laptop. Good memories. I have not seen anything past goblins 2 though. Looking forward to the later games especially. I watched the old LPs of these games by Nidoking and enjoyed them thoroughly. Lots of great nostalgic value there.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Welcome back, everyone, and thanks for your patience. We're back for the thrilling dungeon escape and our continued campaign to get into the wizard's house, now that we know he's a bad guy. It's just a bit more complicated than that, like every other thing in this game. We're going to have to take a side trip and climb a tree. Why? We'll find out eventually.

Part 2-1: "There's gotta be some poor gently caress out there who understands this. He's sitting in a cave, eating his own feces, works at Wal-Mart, and he's got cicada husks for shoes, and I am not that level of batshit crazy." Polsy Youtube

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Praise be! By the way, the one-eyed skeleton scared my 6 year old self. I had to ask my parents to play through that part for me. Also, I don't think the game is as bullshit as people make it out to be. Yes, some of the logic is non-existent, but by the power of permutation, you can try all of the things in a reasonable time period. I think my parents beat the game in 1 or 2 weekends.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It's still really bad adventure game design. The amount of things you can try may be low enough here that it doesn't matter a lot but it scales extremely poorly - too much content beyond an hour and a half of that and nobody who hasn't already succumbed to Stockholm Syndrome or bought the hint book will think favorably of the game that does this. Tolerating this type of under/unexplained logic that must be brute-forced for years is what lead to the cat-hair mustache. :colbert:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Oh absolutely. it just seemed fine for 1991.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
How is anyone supposed to complete this game without dying multiple times? :psyduck:

I am loving some of the results, though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

If you didn't run the risk of being killed for testing things, I'd like it better.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
I'm glad they got rid of the energy bar in 2, the game was a loving nightmare on the amiga because it loaded scenes off the floppy which took a while.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Shei-kun posted:

How is anyone supposed to complete this game without dying multiple times? :psyduck:

You aren't. It was the early 90s, death was expected.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Anime Reference posted:

You aren't. It was the early 90s, death was expected.

But death wasn't the handicap it used to be in the olden days, to borrow a phrase. Sierra games from the very start had save files that you were expected to use, and death was an instant end to the game that forced you to reload, ideally to a state immediately before the death from which you could continue seamlessly. In Gobliiins, the only way to restore is to restart the level, which is simply inefficient if you don't know how to complete the rest of the puzzles. So the pattern is stumble through the level, figure out everything you need to do, use a full-health password from earlier when your health gets low enough to be frustrating, and replay the levels with the known solutions so you can continue. There are plenty of jokes about mathematicians not wanting to repeat problems they've already solved*, and this game is the antithesis to that idea. There's no challenge in a repeat playthrough (if you remember your first playthrough well enough) and most of the potential for fun is removed as I'll get to shortly. Replaying this game simply isn't fun, and I honestly have no idea why I did it so many times when I was a kid. There are two fundamental principles of game design that almost nobody does correctly - "What are the strengths of my game, and how can I bring those to the forefront? What are the weaknesses of my game, and what can I do to mitigate them?" The health bar violates both of those principles. The main strength of the game is the humorous animations for failure states, and the health bar turns those into an annoyance and a penalty. The weakness is that you have to experiment almost randomly to solve the puzzles, and the health bar makes that a chore and repetitive. Perhaps someone thought that a game requires failure states - even Lucasfilm Games/Lucasarts were still making games where you could die at that time. I think The Secret of Monkey Island was a relative contemporary of the first Gobliiins, and I don't think LOOM would have made enough of an impact to be a big influence on this game's development.

* Here's my favorite: An engineer and a mathematician are hired to work at a company full of pranksters with low safety standards. One day, while they're at lunch, their officemates set fire to their trash cans. The engineer comes back from lunch, sees the fire, grabs the fire extinguisher, and puts out the fire. The mathematician returns shortly after that, grabs the fire extinguisher, and puts out the fire. The next day, the pranksters set another fire, but hide the fire extinguisher in a closet. The engineer gets back from lunch, sees the fire, searches the building, finds the fire extinguisher, and puts out the fire. The pranksters naturally hide the fire extinguisher again before the mathematician returns. The mathematician gets back from lunch, sees the fire, searches the building, finds the fire extinguisher, puts it back where it belongs, says "This is a known state," and sits down to work next to the burning trash can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Oh boy, this series. The nostalgia is riding high for me right now.

As an aside, the cyclops skeleton puzzle I never properly figured out. What I did as a kid was enter that screen with full health, pick up the mask, bring everyone but the mage down next to the hunchback, set off the skeleton and then cluster everyone up. Since the turn-point down there is the moment of least travel and you can mitigate one scare from the skeleton by using the mask so that everyone's busy during the first scare check, it turns out you can in fact just brute-force your way through that screen with about 2 hits left.

I never knew about that little plant or punching the statue or anything.