Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Okay, the joke's run its course. I hope everyone enjoyed at least the idea of the annual April Fools' video, particularly since I haven't been able to bring my ideas to life for the past few years and it's been really frustrating. This time around, the last video left off right at a big block of silence that was otherwise just taking up space on my hard drive, it was episode 4-1... it was just too perfect. I wasn't kidding, however, when I said that Leave would spend over five minutes failing to make any progress in the next video. The problem really just comes down to being trained to think outside the box so much that sometimes, the most obvious solution just doesn't seem wacky enough to work anymore. It's also about the only thing in this video that I think should have been obvious - about the first time you see the Statue of Serenity, everything in the game stops making even the kind of sense it did at the start. Don't worry, though - Leave's intuition makes short work of pretty much everything after this point. You'll be sad today, but proud whenever I get around to posting the final video of this set.

Part 4-1: "You have no idea how badly I just want to Google these puzzle solutions." Polsy Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
... are you making GBS threads me :psyduck:

You just... magic the door. The lever does nothing.

Those assholes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Oh, the lever does something all right. But you can't get to it until you come back to this screen. Like the statue, it's just there to distract you from the actual puzzle the first time.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Shei-kun posted:

... are you making GBS threads me :psyduck:

You just... magic the door. The lever does nothing.

Those assholes.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It's time for the end of the first game! At least, from Leavemywife's perspective. I still need to finish the final solo video, and then there may be a bit of a hiatus because I don't know when we'll have time to start recording the next game. In this video, Leavemywife finds the supreme weapon and turns it on its intended target - fruit. And the evil wizard, but mainly fruit. The wizard actually has a few tricks up his sleeve, although probably not tricks he intended to use, and the resulting mechanic turns out to be pretty interesting, almost a Lost Vikings scenario where different combinations of characters can accomplish different parts of the entire solution. And then the game just sort of ends, although it's probably the least silly ending in the series. The end of the video probably seems a bit abrupt, but the video sharing program crashed when the game exited and we lost the call, so I just edited together Leave's solo thoughts on the end of the game and freeze-framed the last frame of video rather than trying to make it loop or something like that.

Part 4-2: "What is this, the final boss fight? What the hell's going on?" Polsy Youtube

Old Man Mozz
Apr 24, 2005

I posted.
ok I must never have finished the game as a kid (and no wonder) but the last few screens of that were bonkers. What was up with the giant's tears? Why did you ride a fish/dolphin? the final battle was pretty sweet though

Deathwind
Mar 3, 2013

Wow, even for the time this game was lacking. Total moonlogic, threadbare story, a pointlessly punishing life system, and a lack of any real payoff in the end. This is the same wizard that would kill you on sight a few screens back, what's stopping him from zapping you? What keeps him trapped in the bag?

Compare this to the transforming wizard's duel that ended King's Quest 5 (starts at 4:40):
https://youtu.be/41QdTeMg0bI
This was released a year before Gobliiins by the same company that handled it's north american publishing.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's so weird to think we actually finished a game. It seemed kind of sudden to me, really. I'm not sure what sort of batshit insanity is coming up in the second game, but I, for one, cannot wait to get to it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Deathwind posted:

Wow, even for the time this game was lacking. Total moonlogic, threadbare story, a pointlessly punishing life system, and a lack of any real payoff in the end. This is the same wizard that would kill you on sight a few screens back, what's stopping him from zapping you? What keeps him trapped in the bag?

I want to post a picture of that "aliens" guy meme with the caption "Coktel", but that would probably get me probated, so just pretend I did if you're not a mod. If you are a mod, you saw no such thing.

Really, what stops the wizard from killing you when he turns back to his normal form is just that the puzzle resets, rather than reloading the level. It's a lot simpler to program that way, and a bit less tedious for the people who had slow computers that took a long time to load each screen. I don't know what computers it might have been released on in France. But this sort of thing was typical of the Coktel games I played, as well as other games from French developers. Anyone remember the Alone in the Dark series? That was full of puzzles that only sort of made sense once you knew the solutions and situations that required randomly poking things with other things or prescience (or dying and using the information gained from that to solve the puzzle). I don't know that I can necessarily distill any given culture down to a certain style of adventure game, given my limited exposure to most of them, but it seems from that limited experience that some countries tend to produce games that American audiences will find inscrutable and terrible and to be quite proud of them. I point to Next Life and Limbo of the Lost as about all the examples I have and all I could ever need. There will be a particular puzzle in Goblins 3 that will likely prompt further discussion of this concept, including why I think it might happen, and perhaps the answer to a question I've had for a very long time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

At last, I've finished the first game. There was a weird audio glitch when I was recording, but you may not be able to hear it in the video because I turned the volume way down for fear of blowing out the eardrums of anyone using headphones. Otherwise, the last stretch of the game is pretty straightforward, with only one instant death condition that I know of and puzzles that are mostly pretty simple, aside from the screen with the giant. I really think I've heard a legend about a monster dissolving when drenched with tears or something like it, but I can't find any evidence of it on the Internet, which means the only place I've probably actually read about it was in the hint book for this game. In any case, this finishes the LP of the first game, and after a delay to get together with Leavemywife to record some, the second game will begin.

Part 4: I've had tacos more supreme than this weapon Polsy Youtube

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Water on monster = wicked witch in the wizard of oz. It might be elsewhere but that is the only place I know of.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I was thinking of tears more specifically, but that makes sense too.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I think the idea is that tears are a bit like holy water.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I remember playing the first game on my Atari ST as a kid and getting nowhere, very much looking forward to seeing Leavemywife doing this blind. I didn't realise just how punishing this game is early on.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Oh man, memories... I had Goblins 3 packaged with the educational games I was given as a kid and could never get past the halfway point. It's cool to see what the earlier iterations were like. I can't wait 'til we get to 3 though.. :allears:

Major_JF posted:

Water on monster = wicked witch in the wizard of oz. It might be elsewhere but that is the only place I know of.
Wizard of Oz didn't have nearly the same influence in France as it did in the US, so I'd be surprised if that were the case.
Maybe it's a bad pun on the French idiom for "burst into tears" which is "fondre en larmes" (melt in(to) tears). It fits with the brand of humor I've seen in franco-belgian comics.

Some of the more confusing items interactions did remind me of "classic jokes" I used to see in kid comics, so I guess the bottom line is... if something seems incredibly obtuse, it might just be a French humor thing. :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Miacis posted:

Some of the more confusing items interactions did remind me of "classic jokes" I used to see in kid comics, so I guess the bottom line is... if something seems incredibly obtuse, it might just be a French humor thing. :v:

I need you in this thread. I need explanations for so many things. I need to know what the hell is up with sneezing! But we can wait until those things show up in the LP.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Deathwind posted:

Dude, this is the game that brought us mole rat tits. Have some respect.

Word on the Wind
May 23, 2014
Thanks for playing through the game. Was interesting to take a stroll down memory lane. My father and I actually completed this without the hintbook. As mentioned before, I ended up brute-force breaking past a puzzle in the cyclops skeleton map, and thanks to a notary error by wee little me, we inadvertently skipped the first map with the statue and the dragon, bringing us to the second trip to the statue map. We did go back and do them properly though, armed with knowledge from the future.

Looking forward to part 2.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Thanks for your patience, everyone. It's time for the start of Gobliins 2! This game introduces numerous quality of life improvements over the first game, particularly the removal of the health mechanic and the addition of an unlimited inventory, both of which will remain in place for the rest of the series. Also improving our experience a bit are people to talk to and the ability to have both characters acting simultaneously, rather than having to wait until one finishes what he's doing to issue a command to the other. That last upgrade, of course, comes with an increase in the difficulty of the puzzles - since we now have the ability to have one character set up a situation for the other character to act upon, that will come into play many times throughout the game. We'll see a few examples of it in this first video, and while it may seem at times that Leavemywife is missing something obvious, this mechanic really represents a completely new way of thinking compared to anything in the first game, and it takes some getting used to. It's not the only thing that will cause problems, either. But perhaps the most disconcerting new mechanic in this game is the ability to move from room to room rather than being told to advance once you've accomplished the (generally unannounced) objective. The areas still aren't all that large, but it's a little more difficult to solve puzzles when you can't necessarily see all the components of them at once. There's probably more I could say, but you'll see it all for yourselves eventually, so let's just get on with the game!

Part 1-1: "All right, this is gonna sound strange, but stick your sausage in the hole." Polsy Youtube

In answer to Leave's question at the start of the video, the first game came out in 1991, this one in 1992, and the third in 1993. The fourth one came out much later, and that will show, but I'll get into that later.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I found the animations incredibly hilarious as a kid.
The staring contest with the dog still slays me.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I'm amazed that Leave didn't make a joke about choking that chicken. Also this game definitely looks like a step up from the last one.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
Seems like the only thing that hasn't improved any from the first game is the adventure game logic.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Yapping Eevee posted:

I'm amazed that Leave didn't make a joke about choking that chicken. Also this game definitely looks like a step up from the last one.

Well, let's see, you:

- Choke a chicken
- Distract two old guys with your friend failing to play hide the sausage
- Hide the sausage
- Put the sausage in the hole
- get some balls wet

kjetting posted:

Seems like the only thing that hasn't improved any from the first game is the adventure game logic.

On the one hand, yes. On the other, as you can see above, it's... Mostly consistent? :haw:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

JamieTheD posted:

Well, let's see, you:

- Choke a chicken
- Distract two old guys with your friend failing to play hide the sausage
- Hide the sausage
- Put the sausage in the hole
- get some balls wet
:golfclap: Truly we are mature adults, as are the people who made this game.

Also, one of our heroes is called Winkle. I mean, c'mon.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

kjetting posted:

It gets better.

For a certain value of better :unsmigghh:

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I'm still waiting for Winkle to choke the chicken while the other Goblin ... extracts ... an egg from it.

(spoilered just in case I'm right, but I definitely don't remember)

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I'm still waiting for Winkle to choke the chicken while the other Goblin ... extracts ... an egg from it.

(spoilered just in case I'm right, but I definitely don't remember)
There's a certain theme of unusual procurement and usage of foodstuffs going on in this game.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Illegal Username posted:

There's a certain theme of unusual procurement and usage of foodstuffs going on in this game.

:allears:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I gotta say, I don't know how much you've recorded already but given how much more detailed the backgrounds are now you might wanna consider pointing out to Leave which important objects are interactable in advance-- one of the first things I did in this game was basically mouse over the entire screen to see which things popped up. If he'd known the hole was there earlier we might have gotten a few more entertaining failed solutions, and I don't know how long it's going to take him to figure out what he needs to do with one of the items you can get in this area since what you need to use it on basically looks like nothing until you mouse over it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Son Ryo posted:

I gotta say, I don't know how much you've recorded already but given how much more detailed the backgrounds are now you might wanna consider pointing out to Leave which important objects are interactable in advance-- one of the first things I did in this game was basically mouse over the entire screen to see which things popped up. If he'd known the hole was there earlier we might have gotten a few more entertaining failed solutions, and I don't know how long it's going to take him to figure out what he needs to do with one of the items you can get in this area since what you need to use it on basically looks like nothing until you mouse over it.

I'm not going to let him get too stuck on anything amounting to a pixel hunt, but at the same time, I'm not going to deprive him of the opportunity to surprise me by coming up with non-obvious solutions that turn out to be correct. As for more failed solutions, I have no idea what more you expected him to do other than throw objects into it - there's nothing entertaining about using an item in the wrong place, and it wasn't until later in the session that Leave really got the message about trying to interact with things not using items. Like I said, it's a real change from a game where your entire list of actions was punch, cast magic, and use item. There actually is a reason to randomly click on things now just to see what happens, because you don't choose what action the characters will take.

I'm still trying to decide whether doing Gobliiins 4 in this way is even feasible, given how much of the game is pixel hunting, but at least the pixels for the non-optional objectives are usually visible. The hole was visible, all of the things I can think of that you could possibly be talking about are visible, and as long as it's visible, Leave will probably see it and attempt to stick a sausage into it.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I like the start of gob 2 a lot. The whole romantic notion of pastoral fantasy landscape and all that... It gets utterly bizarre pretty fast. By the second half of the game, I had to use the hint manual more often than not.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

pokie posted:

I like the start of gob 2 a lot. The whole romantic notion of pastoral fantasy landscape and all that... It gets utterly bizarre pretty fast. By the second half of the game, I had to use the hint manual more often than not.

This has me concerned for the latter half of the game. I'm going to have to have Google ready.

:negative:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Hey, at least Gob 3 mostly makes sense (I have not finished it yet).

Rhiodise
Feb 22, 2013

pokie posted:

You poor poor fool, never underestimate Coktel Vision

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Leavemywife posted:

This has me concerned for the latter half of the game. I'm going to have to have Google ready.

Or possibly someone who's familiar with the game at the controls. Either or.

pokie posted:

Clearly not. While there are a couple of parts in 2 where even I, a person who hates drug-related humor, have to concede that drugs were likely involved in the creation of those areas, the entire final act of 3 is a succession of those. Although it does contain one of the three rooms in the game where I DIDN'T use a joker.

But to curb the discussion of future parts of the series that Leavemywife hasn't seen yet, here's the conclusion of the first chapter of the one we're playing now, containing the solutions to all of the puzzles in the first part and a few we didn't even see earlier.

Part 1-2: "I loving quit." Polsy Youtube

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
Goddammit. I was sure that Fingus was just going to pluck a feather off the chicken to tickle the giant's feet with. Instead that happened. Complete with making breakfast by putting it directly on burning logs. :doh:

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I too was stumped on scene 2 of gob 2 as a child. The loving clock scene. gently caress it so much.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

Is that a facepalm i hear just before "I loving quit" :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

So let's talk a bit about the differences between the CD and floppy versions for just a second. It was fairly obvious in the first game, since the floppy version had no music at all, but the music is the main difference between the two. The sound effects are identical in both versions, but the CD version uses audio tracks on the CD to play the music. Back in the DOS days, most CD-ROM drives had a direct audio connection to the motherboard or sound card, so you could just put in an audio CD, hit the Play button, and hear the music directly through the computer's sound system. Nobody actually used this, but the creators of some CD games used software controls to play their audio this way, including the Gobliiins titles. (Incidentally, this was the technical problem I mentioned in the OP that made me give up on completing the original LP of the series.) The music in these games is a single track, which also includes all of the dialogue. In the first game, there was no dialogue when music was playing; the only speech was in the cutscenes between levels. In Gobliins 2, the music cuts away to dialogue frequently, then restarts at the beginning of the song. The chapter marks tend to be imprecise, so you'll often hear bits of dialogue from before and after the conversation you're listening to, or miss a bit of speech at the beginning. (Funnily enough, the game I remember most having this problem was Woodruff and the Schnibble, which didn't even use CD audio.) The CD version music is almost identical between the first two games, with very few unique tracks. That will change when we get to the third game. I think the second game is the hardest to choose a favorite version - the CD version of the first game is superior in almost every respect due to being the only version with any music, and we'll get to the third eventually. I rather like the twangy sound of the floppy version music in the games that have any, while the music here is just the same as we had before. On the other hand, the floppy version's "voices" are pretty annoying, while the voices in the CD version... may be slightly less so. I'll let you judge for yourself. My playthrough will be focusing on the shortest path through the game, mainly minimizing screen transitions while still doing as much as I can.

Part 1: Okay, EVERYBODY gets to starve but the giant Polsy Youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Good news! If anyone's frustrated with the slow pace of the LP, the Gobliiins trilogy is a buck and a half at GOG through the weekend, so it will probably never be cheaper to check the games out for yourself. They come with both the floppy and CD versions, plus the hint books. It's good timing, because I'm going to have to slow down releases yet again due to personal reasons. I've got the entire second session with Leavemywife recorded, so I'll spread out those and any solo videos I can get published before my hiatus begins over the intervening time - you may not even notice I'd stopped. For now, we're trying to get into a well-guarded castle. Clearly, entering through the door is out, but the actual method for entering is a bit... involved. This video will cover the part of the quest that sort of makes some sense. Our final objective, which we'll spend the rest of the chapter trying to tackle, is the sort of thing that may leave you wondering whether it can even be done. Well, of course it can. This is Gobliins 2, and we're taking our ball and going home.

Part 2-1: "It looks like he's got that string coming out of his rear end. I don't know if I'm comfortable with that." Polsy Youtube