Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

AKA "An Ambitious but Rubbish Bachelor Party"

AKA "Therapy is Expensive, Gas is Cheap"

AKA "AB:AI Roadkill Baller Crawl 2016"

So what is going on? Well, I'm getting married in September and because I'm not exactly sane I've decided that my bachelor party should be an unholy abomination comprised of a Top Gear cheap car challenge, an episode of Roadkill and The Smoking Tires All cars go to heaven.

Who
Team Hellica - SeatSafetySwitch & Slung Blade
Team Sweet Chili Heat - DrakeriderCa & McTinkerson [ DoritoPower gets full credit for the team name ]
Team Cool Ranch - DoritoPower (best man 2) & my buddy David (best man 3)

What
It's a Shitbox™ Road Rally where the vehicles cannot cost more than $1000CAD.

When
:siren: The week of July 18, 2016 :siren:

Where
The route is Calgary, AB to Tofino, BC and back in 7 days.
See attached - As time allows I will add a custom Google map - Added (2016.02.20) https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Calg...d49.1529842!3e0

This route is not necessarily set in stone and open to AI's suggestions for better / more exciting stretches of road.

The plan is to camp for the night along the way.

Why
Why the gently caress not?

The Rules
  • $1000CAD maximum vehicle purchase price
  • Following items excluded from vehicle budget
    1. Steering components
    2. Brakes
    3. Tires
    4. Lights
    5. Horns
    6. Cosmetics - There should be a theme after all and who am I to deny the team who wants to spruce up their chariot with leopard print vinyl, airbrush murals features naked men/women and dragons and/or spikes a la Mad Max.
    7. Registration / Insurance
    8. Front tow hooks
  • No vehicle type limitations - If you find a limo or under $1k, fantastic!
  • Dashcams mandatory for each vehicle.

Scoring
Points Penalties:
  • AWD / 4x4 -100pts
  • Automatic Transmissions (Excluding shift kits) -100pts
  • Over price limit : -1 point per $1 over budget
Points Bonus:
  • RWD + 100pts
  • Forced Induction (including chemical supercharging) +100pts
  • Engine cylinder count > 6 +50pts
  • Rolled back or non-functional odometer (should you end up with a proper FOB JDM whip) +50pts
  • Fire (any source outside of the actual engine combustion chamber) +50pts
  • Doors of vehicle > 5 +50pts
  • Non-traditional door hinges (lambo, suicide, scissor) +25pts
  • "Exotic" aka anything British for instance +100pts
  • Best / Most Heroic fix +250pts
  • Endo / Wheelie ability - actual daylight under 2+ wheels +100pts
  • Cross family engine swaps +250pts
  • PA systems +25pts
  • Home made aero (Points penalty should it not survive the entire trip) +50pts
  • Convertibles +100pts
  • Scoops (hood/roof/etc) as long as they're functional +50pts/per
  • Under price limit: +1 point per $1 under budget

Challenges
  • Initial / Pre-Trip ( Mid June ?, 2016 )
    1. Drag Race
    2. Auto-X
    3. 0-100-0 (in km/h you heathens)
    This is the cut off date for each team to have their vehicle to a point they consider drivable and should provide enough stress for a decent shake down run prior to the actual rally.

• Ongoing
    1. Ricer fly bys +- 10pts
    2. New permanent decorations done to other teams vehicle (max $50) +50pts
    3. Complete conversation with trucker over CB using only F&F quotes (recorded) +100pts
    4. Survived down-town Vancouver during rush hour +100pts
    5. Fastest to navigate down-town Vancouver during rush hour +100pts
    6. Most attention (with picture evidence) from the opposite sex +100pts - HAHAHA - who are we kidding
    7. Most attention (with picture evidence) from the same sex +-100pts?

8. AI's suggestions
  • End Challenges
    1. decibel of vehicle (loudest / quietest) - Alberta Traffic Act will be references and duplicated in regards to testing procedure +50pts (25pts for second place)
    2. Most oil consumed over rally +25pts
    3. Most / least fuel consumed over rally (volume) +25pts
    4. Most all other fluids consumed (coolant, trans fluid, brake fluid, etc) +25pts
    5. Bridesmaids favourite +250pts
    6. Post rally sale (deadline is day of wedding) - +1 point for every dollar over total spent (including cosmetics & safety items)

Safety Equipment
All safety equipment will be split up between each team so that between all of us we have everything on the list
  • Jack / Hi-lift
  • Jack stands
  • Vehicle tool kit
  • Jerry cans of fuel (4x)
  • 12V air compressor
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Safety triangle / road flare
  • First aid kit
  • Tire repair kit / slime
  • CB Radios - one for each vehicle
  • Water - both potable and de-ionized

As the teams purchase their vehicles, repair and modify them - they should/will post in this thread.
We will all be posting pictures during the rally to Instagram and this thread. Highlights post trip will follow.

A trophy (possibly a custom WWE style belt) will be issued to the winning team at the wedding. Please post with trophy suggestions / designs for the WWE style belt.

Hellica

1991 Toyota Celica GT-S
Purchase Price: $1000

Budget remaining: $0

Sweet Chili Heat

1981 Mazda RX-7 GS
Purchase Price: $200
Used tail lights, wing, misc FB parts: $100
Rear window louvers: $50

Parts Car: $700
Parts sold: $700

Many many parts to make the car worse: $650

Budget remaining: $0

Cool Ranch

1980 Mazda RX-7 GSL
Purchase Price: $600
FB body panels: $100

Budget remaining: $300

Follow along on both Instagram and Twitter with #tm2twrally!

Edit: Team updates. Brother can no longer make it due to far more import things taking priority.
Edit 2: Google Map route added & Individual Team car breakdown
Edit 3: Points added, more challenges, more vehicle bonuses
Edit 4: For those who do not have SA accounts - should you or anyone else wish to share this: http://tm2twrally.com/

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

:tviv:

Instead of 3 from Creston to Oosoyoos, you need to take 23 and 6 up through Nakusp. It's basically the best driving road in Canada and to miss it on something like this is probably a criminal offense.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Cannot loving wait. This is gonna be rad.

I totally forgot to ask yesterday, how many points are the various bonuses worth? One per criteria met? 10 per? Judge's discretion?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

This is going to be amazing, best bachelor party ever!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slung Blade posted:

Cannot loving wait. This is gonna be rad.

I totally forgot to ask yesterday, how many points are the various bonuses worth? One per criteria met? 10 per? Judge's discretion?

If you get 1 per every $1 under budget, some of those bonuses should definitely be worth a lot more.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Super stoked to see updates from this. This is a loving fantastic idea and real life top gear challenges should happen more often.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Oh god. That sounds like a ton of fun. Jealous!

You need to incorporate the ferry into a challenge somehow. I don't know how exactly but since part of it will literally take place on the sea it's a must. Also, if something is happening for the return trip go through the lower mainland and be forced to take Hwy 7, the Lougheed right smack through the middle of Vancouver, Burnaby and Coquitlam. Preferably during rush hour(s)

MrChips posted:

Instead of 3 from Creston to Oosoyoos, you need to take 23 and 6 up through Nakusp. It's basically the best driving road in Canada and to miss it on something like this is probably a criminal offense.

Yeah, or even 31 or whatever it's called and spend the night at Ainsworth Hot Springs. The Crowsnest route is a far better for sightseeing/having fun than the #1 so good choice there, but the Kootneys is gorgeous. Even if you go north just to make your way back south again. You might want to make it 2 days.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

I am not comfortable with returning to Nakusp since the incident.

If we do go, I will have to wear a motorcycle helmet and adopt a Mexican accent when questioned by the ferry operator. Debe haberme confundido con otra persona, senor.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I'm in it to win it

My appeal lies mostly with the ladies, so I'm betting on my car's raw sexual charisma to win over the bridesmaids for the clinching points

Also SSS and Slung Blade, do you guys feel like investigating a sick ride for us?

http://m.kijiji.ca/classic-cars/calgary/1985-buick-century/v?adId=1136891677&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454304741431

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm in it to win it

My appeal lies mostly with the ladies, so I'm betting on my car's raw sexual charisma to win over the bridesmaids for the clinching points

Also SSS and Slung Blade, do you guys feel like investigating a sick ride for us?

http://m.kijiji.ca/classic-cars/calgary/1985-buick-century/v?adId=1136891677&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454304741431
Hey stud, if you're going for charisma nothing screams it like bright yellow AZTEC with minor body damage.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2001-aztek/1134825989?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Yeah, auto and FWD but I bet you could get it for less than asking.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Hey stud, if you're going for charisma nothing screams it like bright yellow AZTEC with minor body damage.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/2001-aztek/1134825989?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Yeah, auto and FWD but I bet you could get it for less than asking.

Holy poo poo yes. An Aztek must qualify as "exotic". And there's nothing the other teams could do to it to make it less attractive.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Holy poo poo yes. An Aztek must qualify as "exotic". And there's nothing the other teams could do to it to make it less attractive.

True. Writing PENIS in purple on the side and strapping a roadkill to the roof would probably improve the looks.

Eazee
Sep 10, 2012

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm in it to win it

If you ain't first, you're last.

Let the hunt begin.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Just throwin' this here for someone
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1991-buick-roadmaster-estate-wagon/1134201952?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1978-chevrolet-impala-stationwagon-900/1112894269?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1992-mercury-topaz-ls-sedan/1136713142?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1992-oldsmobile-ninety-eight-regal-elite-sedan/1135798112?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

I'm in it to win it

Sure man, give the guy a call and send me a list of questions to go over.

I'm free Monday, Tuesday, and Friday nights this week.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

poo poo, that's not all that far from where I live. If either SSS or Slung Blade can't or don't want to trek all the way too the deep south of the city, I might be able to fill in!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That era is FF and V6 only. It's also boring and slow and likely to make it without issue which is no fun at all.

We've done far better for $1000 cars in ABAI.

What you need to win is a mystery mileage auction audi.

That $300 lincoln Mark VIII would have been ace. $300 for a RWD IRS coupe, $400 for a 150 shot of nitrous. a big rear end spoiler, ready to roll.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
This is the most insanely awesome (awesomely insane?) thing I think I've seen on these forums. I wish you all the very best of luck as you attempt to cross the frozen wastes of Canadia.

Go Team Mayor Slung Blade :black101:

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES. SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU. HEAR THE LAMENTATION OF THEIR WOMEN.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

That $300 lincoln Mark VIII would have been ace. $300 for a RWD IRS coupe, $400 for a 150 shot of nitrous. a big rear end spoiler, ready to roll.

Where the gently caress do you get $400 nitrous kits because that's about the size of the hole in our budget.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you steal a nitrous tank and some HVAC components from a hospital and then buy about 6.5 grams of yayo, you'll be all set.

e. But for real: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nex-ml1000

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Feb 2, 2016

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where the gently caress do you get $400 nitrous kits because that's about the size of the hole in our budget.

There was a snowmobile wet kit on kijiji for $250 for the longest time, i can't seem to find it now. all you'd need is a bigger bottle and some more fuel line.

Safety Dance posted:

If you steal a nitrous tank and some HVAC components from a hospital and then buy about 6.5 grams of yayo, you'll be all set.

e. But for real: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/nex-ml1000

That's $400 american dollars, or roughly $18,000 canadian i think

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
:suspense: Much anticipation, very eager.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
SLIDEBITE SLIDEBITE SLIDEBITE

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1986-ford-e-150-full-factory-conversion-van-ski-coach/1137313962

Also thanks to the Calgary guys who were open to looking at the Buick, but I think it's a bit boring compared to some of the stuff we've seen over the last few days.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

DrakeriderCa posted:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/lethbridge/1986-ford-e-150-full-factory-conversion-van-ski-coach/1137313962

Also thanks to the Calgary guys who were open to looking at the Buick, but I think it's a bit boring compared to some of the stuff we've seen over the last few days.

OH MAN. Somebody needs to pick this up and just rip the muffler off and haul rear end.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

DrakeriderCa posted:

If you need me to look at anything let me know.

Also it's too bad you guys weren't doing this last year when I was buying the kart van because I literally could've bought a second GMC Safari/Chevy Astro from the same guy.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Big thanks to Slidebite for checking out that lincoln for me today.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

I am scanning the skies for the Alberta AI version of a bat signal an erect penis...? to go view this thing. :awesome:

e: That Z31T I sent you, I'm tellin you man. Hilarity guaranteed when you fall through the floorboards.. :cool:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Feb 3, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I am scanning the skies for the Alberta AI version of a bat signal an erect penis...? to go view this thing. :awesome:

e: That Z31T I sent you, I'm tellin you man. Hilarity guaranteed when you fall through the floorboards.. :cool:

Haha, yeah I can only imagine. Eazee got ahold of the Z31T guy and apparently it needs a battery and rack and pinion. Which isn't super expensive, but would definitely push us out of our budget. Too bad, that would have been a terribly amusing horrible decision.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Get a cheap battery from Pick N Pull and rebuild the steering rack yourself, it's not super hard.

edit: Hm, RockAuto doesn't have a rack seal kit for the '87 Z31T, only the pump.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Those racks are a nightmare. I would pass on it too knowing that.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Those racks are a nightmare. I would pass on it too knowing that.

Let us all pray for the everlasting soul of slide bite as he ventures into the unforgiving wasteland of north Lethbridge to investigate a conversion van that may or may not be a crime scene

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
All conversion vans are crime scenes, it just matters where along the timeline you place your DNA in them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

Let us all pray for the everlasting soul of slide bite as he ventures into the unforgiving wasteland of north Lethbridge to investigate a conversion van that may or may not be a crime scene

If you don't hear from me by the end of the day, please call Mrs. Slidebite and tell her I love her. :(

You can also tell her you call dibbs on my guns

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

gently caress no I'm calling dibs on your guns.

Also does anyone in the south of Edmonton or near gull lake feel like grabbing these for me?
http://m.kijiji.ca/electronics/red-deer/2-x-cobra-cb-radios-for-sale/v?adId=1137242879&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454515295862

If not, I might go pick these up this weekend. Would any other team like in on this action?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slung Blade posted:

Nah, his DNA is on them already anyhow.

Either way, I seemed to have survived. :buddy:

This time.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

Nah, his DNA is on them already

Yep, from butt to muzzle

Also SKI COACH is looking more possible now. The seller is a bit hard to deal with, which I know is probably hard to imagine on a $500 conversion van from kijiji. But it's true. If we can determine if it's a runner, it might be a go.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

Also does anyone in the south of Edmonton or near gull lake feel like grabbing these for me?
http://m.kijiji.ca/electronics/red-deer/2-x-cobra-cb-radios-for-sale/v?adId=1137242879&ck=CK&from=Search&ts=1454515295862

If not, I might go pick these up this weekend. Would any other team like in on this action?

Do they come with mics and antennas? I've been seeing the Cobras with the full kit for about $70, so that's what I was aiming for.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

Do they come with mics and antennas? I've been seeing the Cobras with the full kit for about $70, so that's what I was aiming for.

No idea. Want me to call and ask?

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Slung Blade posted:

No idea. Want me to call and ask?

Sure. If they come with, I think we'd be in. That would be a decent price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Whelp, looks like I'm picking up a $500 Buick next Friday. That should leave enough room in the budget for a thumpr cam.

• Locked thread