Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

McTinkerson posted:

All I'm hearing is that you have a guy who can sign off on our cars...

As soon as I win him over on the first RX-7 sitting in front of his house I'll tell him about the other two and the celica he also needs to sign off on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I have obtained a plate now. Prepare your anus, Alberta's back roads.

And yeah the inspection checklist is hilarious. Twenty line items, all yes/no answers.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

McTinkerson posted:

I put fire and theft on ours and it lowered my overall monthly insurance costs. Multi vehicle discount = $125/yr where as the cost of fire & theft on a $1000 RX-7 = $74/yr.
Ours will also need an insurance inspection within 30 days of my tossing PLPD on it. As soon as the engine goes in and we have tires on it - :getin:

I've long since run out of leeway with my insurers. This is vehicle #5 in a single driver household.

Insurance is my #2 expense after my mortgage :v:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Cool, the Celica has directional wheels and apparently directional centre caps. This makes my job of finding a replacement centre cap only a teensy weensy bit harder.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

This battery hold down we got a the junk yard is poo poo. The rusty part is paper thin. Still, I wirewheeled it off and gave it a splash of paint. Didn't get a picture of that, it was drying and it got dark before it was done. I'll put it on tomorrow.

Why tomorrow you ask? How about because I want to hose this poo poo off. :barf:

The little plastic tray isn't much better.

The brake light bulbs were loving destroyed on BOTH the original tail light housings AND the donors we got at the yard. Amazingly, the Coronet uses pretty much the same bulb so I had a couple spares to use. Replaced the housings and hosed around with minor poo poo for a while, looks ok now.

I also drilled out the nylon bolts that are supposed to hold the plate on (gently caress you toyota) replaced them and mounted the plate with some lovely cheese grade bolt hardware (gently caress you china) and refilled the wash bottle with decent fluid (gently caress you road salt). Got it booked in for a windshield replacement on friday, then I need to get it safetied for the insurance company. I registered it and got a plate yesterday after I got it insured.

Fun fact: SSSwitch managed to reef the handbrake lever so hard the dash light won't turn off now.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

Fun fact: SSSwitch managed to reef the handbrake lever so hard the dash light won't turn off now.
I didn't choose the tug life, the tug life chose me.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
SSS abusing a handbrake? Colour me surprised :haw:

And yes, the inspection will be completed after the vehicle is roadworthy but before it is rallyworthy :toot:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

On the suggestion of irc, I checked the brake reservoir cap to see if it was loose as we were messing with it on Sunday, no joy there. Might be down on fluid a touch so I will top that off today.

Rear defroster works, and the rear window sprayer works after a fashion. Defrost vents work fine when you remember to open the loving things so they can actually move air. Heater and blower motor works good.

It was a little reluctant to start in the cold, but it got going after an extra second or three of cranking. I was actually somewhat glad the glass frosted over last night, because it took some of the dust and grime off when I scraped the ice away.

Brought it to work today, time to give it a bath.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

So I know that being nice to the cars and doing preventative maintenance is sort of outside the point of this thing but I've got half a case of OE oil filters just kicking around that happen to fit that Celica, you guys want a couple?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

So I know that being nice to the cars and doing preventative maintenance is sort of outside the point of this thing but I've got half a case of OE oil filters just kicking around that happen to fit that Celica, you guys want a couple?

You know it. If nothing else, we'll fill the trunk with it when it comes time to sell the car along with a bunch of worn out used parts and go "look at all these spares!"

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A few millilitres of brake fluid cleared up that dash light. SSSwitch surmises that the brake pads are irredeemably hosed now. Quite possibly true.

I drove it to work today. Gave it a cleaning, sucked out five pounds of gravel and poo poo from the interior, refilled the gas tank, and gave it a spirited run on backcountry highways.

I cannot believe what a sweetheart this car is. It just wants to run and go, it seems happy to be in our hands now. We got a killer deal.

I also visited my folks for their anniversary tonight, had my dad drive it. He loved it, and was amazed we got it for the price that we did.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It was meant to be. It's like rescuing a pound puppy that ends up tearing the throat out of a home invader.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It was meant to be. It's like rescuing a pound puppy that ends up tearing the throat out of a home invader.

You've been reading too much Dean Koontz, dude.

But that Celica is every kind of excellent, fantastic find. I'd like to see a video that includes the pop-up headlights, please.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
That Celica is way bitchin', but beware those of us who do not have pop-up headlights. You might go searching on craigslist and find things like this 924 and question all your past vehicle purchases :ohdear:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Got the windshield replaced this morning. It has improved my driving experience at least 35%.

Timing belt, brakes, some suspension bits, and a couple gaskets and we'll be ready.

Probably.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I have secured our engine swap time and location. March 19 - 0800 MDT. :toot:

I also visited the car at said location and made a list of items I should probably bring so that we can drive it back.

• Coolant
  • Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Battery
  • Brake Fluid
  • Rad Cap
  • Seafoam
  • 25L of Fuel
  • New Battery Terminal ends
  • 3' of 2" exhaust pipe - I'm 90% sure based on the PO's description of how the car broke that the cats are clogged.
  • Throwout bearing - this one is optional if I can't source one locally for cheap

The plug wires, rotor cap and plugs were done 5k km prior to the engine making GBS threads the bed so I'll be re-suing those.

The only thing on that list that will count against the budget is the exhaust piping I think.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you do a Bosozoku exhaust it's decorative, isn't it?

Especially if you tune the runners into harmonics so that the 13B can play it like a pipe organ.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I really want to replace the muffler on it with a single in / dual outlet. Then bosu the poo poo out of the rear pipes. Make them form a rotor or something.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I have secured our engine swap time and location. March 19 - 0800 MDT. :toot:

I also visited the car at said location and made a list of items I should probably bring so that we can drive it back.

• Coolant
  • Oil
  • Oil Filter
  • Battery
  • Brake Fluid
  • Rad Cap
  • Seafoam
  • 25L of Fuel
  • New Battery Terminal ends
  • 3' of 2" exhaust pipe - I'm 90% sure based on the PO's description of how the car broke that the cats are clogged.
  • Throwout bearing - this one is optional if I can't source one locally for cheap

The plug wires, rotor cap and plugs were done 5k km prior to the engine making GBS threads the bed so I'll be re-suing those.

The only thing on that list that will count against the budget is the exhaust piping I think.

no cats best cats

gently caress emissions qtiyd

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

no cats best cats

gently caress emissions qtiyd

Quoted. (For old cars only)

I sure hope this snow fucks off by the weekend, I need to get the celica 'insurance safety' inspected.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

TSD in the Claresholm area as a challenge in May. Yay or Nay? Add to that the camping that Slung Blade mentioned? Should be doable over a weekend.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I'm all for it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Accept groupies?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

Accept groupies?

Only ones that put out. :colbert:

Also I'm on call from the 9th until the 24th, so if we could do this after the may long weekend that would be ideal.

If that doesn't work for you guys though, it'll be fine so long as we stay in cell reception range, just more of a pain.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

slidebite posted:

Accept groupies?

drat right we do, it's also not too late to join in!

I'm also trying to convince my friend who is resto-modding a 1980 RX-7 to buy this for the intake manifold/carby alone: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1982-mazda-rx-7-12a/1148339286

So that I can buy the rear axel and exhaust and Cool Ranch can have the door and fender (after some trimming).

EDIT: :ducksiren: Just bought the FB! Going to be a three way part out. Selling the entire front end body work + door to Cool Ranch and the Holley kit to a friend for the entire purchase price. :ducksiren:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 17, 2016

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Lol this is just ridiculous now

All hail McTinkerson, King Of Doritos

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I feel like we've all been roped in by this "bachelor party" story so that Tink can just buy more loving RX7s.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

For a minute there I thought he was going to try to rope us into also running a Wankel.

I'm sticking with the reciprocating clan.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I would like to go on record that in this very thread, I attempted to purchase a 1980 Buick LeSabre Coupe. It's not my fault that all two door rear wheel drive coupes cost more than a grand when running - except for RX7's.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

drat right we do, it's also not too late to join in!

I'm also trying to convince my friend who is resto-modding a 1980 RX-7 to buy this for the intake manifold/carby alone: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/1982-mazda-rx-7-12a/1148339286

So that I can buy the rear axel and exhaust and Cool Ranch can have the door and fender (after some trimming).

EDIT: :ducksiren: Just bought the FB! Going to be a three way part out. Selling the entire front end body work + door to Cool Ranch and the Holley kit to a friend for the entire purchase price. :ducksiren:

I might make an appearance and offer garage services if needed while in the far south of AB, but I don't think I want to be officially affiliated in some blatantly obvious homo-erotic "bachelor party"

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

I might make an appearance and offer garage services if needed while in the far south of AB, but I don't think I want to be officially affiliated in some blatantly obvious homo-erotic "bachelor party"

Yeah

Slidebite will only be ~unofficially~ affiliated in blatantly obvious homo-erotic bachelor parties :colbert:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

2 things:

1) Plausible deniability
2) Don't remember it, didn't happen. It's easier to forget 1 day than 3 or 4. :colbert:

Besides, I am not a rabid dorito fan like everyone else so I'd definitely be even more of an outsider.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Even my dad has become a dorito fan now, I think its contagious if you get too close to one. He's gone round and told all his neighbors about how my RX7 has a rotary engine and I don't think I'm allowed to work on it without him anymore.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Even my dad has become a dorito fan now, I think its contagious if you get too close to one. He's gone round and told all his neighbors about how my RX7 has a rotary engine and I don't think I'm allowed to work on it without him anymore.

I didn't expect that.

Actually yeah I did. He was probably just tired of you being around German cars.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

slidebite posted:

2 things:

1) Plausible deniability
2) Don't remember it, didn't happen. It's easier to forget 1 day than 3 or 4. :colbert:

Besides, I am not a rabid dorito fan like everyone else so I'd definitely be even more of an outsider.

I didn't even like them until we got ours now I LOVE IT COME JOIN US COME JOIN US COME JOIN US COME JOIN US

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

You should sell your astro van and buy an Italian cargo truck.

Complete the Axis (of poor decisions).

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
The Kart I specifically bought that van for is Italian with an Austrian engine, that has to be close enough.

Also I'm now insanely disappointed that nobody bought a Fiat x19.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I tried, but they're thin on the ground, especially under a grand.

My dream car (regardless of this event) was a 164. I think it would make the rotary guys' breakdowns even more entertaining.

"Hey guys, I was just driving by in my perfectly reliable 20 year old Italian car and it looked like you were having a spot of trouble."

About five seconds later it would explode into a ball of flames and burn to the ground after I neglected to check the oil every thirty three kilometers exactly.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

1500quidporsche posted:

The Kart I specifically bought that van for is Italian with an Austrian engine, that has to be close enough.

Also I'm now insanely disappointed that nobody bought a Fiat x19.

That totally counts. Well done.

Maybe put some canvas under the cart engine to capture any oil spray so you can claim it's a painter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Well today worked out alright.

$700 bought us this. Which has had it's Racing Beat Intake, glass and various trim bits sold for $600.
Cool Ranch has agreed to buy the entire front end body work, mirrors and drivers window regulator assembly off of us (aka the doors) for $100.

Tomorrow is engine compression test time - based on a parking lot pull a plug ear test and the previous owners description, I'm going to say there's a 99% chance we have a good engine to go in to ours.

The body is Swiss cheese on it - so any one asking why we don't just run this instead of ours, well there's your answer. It's also a GS not a GSL, so no LSD and rear disk brakes. Makes things easier that way. At least now we don't have to go through the hassle of swapping everything.

It has a RB Street Header and straight pipe exhaust which we're keeping, really nice seats, etc, etc, etc. We'll have pictures and a comprehensive list tomorrow.

Based on how many guys locally need odds and ends - this whole car might allow us to build Sweet Chili Heat for free.

• Locked thread