Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The equal opposite of this thread, including movies that were just overlooked by the viewing public or got unfairly bad reviews.

Mud: Like Huckleberry Finn plus True Detective. Plus it's nice to see a movie about the south and southerners that's more than just a punchline.

Though I guess they're not that recent, also Zodiac and Eastern Promises

Terminator Genisys wasn't great, or even that good, but it was a lot better than 25% on RT. Yeah, there's a lot of jumps in time, but it's not THAT hard to follow. And Skynet merging with John Connor is kind of loopy, but I thought it was a fun twist. A good airline movie at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
e.t. was pretty good

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

apparently Inside Out was a great movie despite being Pixar kiddie fodder

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
Edge of Tomorrow

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Al Cowens posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

yeah, I forgot about this one

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I thought Knock Knock and The Final Girls were good light hearted horror though the former only comes across as light hearted because of Reeve's goofy but still endearing performance, the plot is actually real hosed up.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

Furious 7

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I dont know about underrated, but Tangerine was surprisingly good. The confrontation scene in the donut shop toward the end of the movie was really well done.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

this was a good adrenaline rush

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2965466/

Last Shift was surprisingly pretty good if you're into scary movies. It got a 5.7 on imdb but that's like 9.5 for horror movies since they get panned by a bunch of LITERAL PUSSIES.

Also, John Wick got a 7.2 but that movie loving RULES!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The Act of Killing is a documentary that is about a bigger issue than any other documentary has ever covered, redefined the genre, and is somehow also a really good example of cinematic surrealism and a better documentary will probably never be made. It is as good as movies get.

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I think the raw insanity of Compliance and how well it's handled is worth praise

Salem Saberhagen
Feb 23, 2009

symbolic posted:

apparently Inside Out was a great movie despite being Pixar kiddie fodder

I watched it and I disagree with "great". More like, marginally better than mediocre and overall forgettable. I saw it last week and I had completely forgotten about it till this thread.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

pushpins posted:

I think the raw insanity of Compliance and how well it's handled is worth praise

I thought that movie was universally lauded? Not popular or well know, of course, but given the subject matter...

Off topic but an underrated performance Idris Elba got snubbed hard Oscar wise. He was really good in Beasts of no Nation.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Palin does Hollywood was pretty good, Lisa Ann is aging pretty good iMO

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Cowens posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

i loved this movie. i think they changed the name to live die repeat for the dvd relelse or something which i find hi-larious

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
another really good movie i thought was good was it follows

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford

ehhhhhhnnnnnn
Jun 3, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Sheep-Goats posted:

The Act of Killing is a documentary that is about a bigger issue than any other documentary has ever covered, redefined the genre, and is somehow also a really good example of cinematic surrealism and a better documentary will probably never be made. It is as good as movies get.

Act of killing is a seriously good movie but maybe you should calm down

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Al Cowens posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

That movie was so fun I forgot it even had tom cruise in it.

Another movie with #1 Bad Bitch Emily Blunt in it is Sicario, which just came out on redbox and streaming, I would definitely recommend.

HollywoodDialysis
Jan 19, 2005

not doing nothing
Grimey Drawer

ehhhhhhnnnnnn posted:

Assassination of Jesse James by the coward Robert Ford

loving spoiler alert.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Hotel Transylvania and its sequel are good.

Watch 2 at least for Jon Lovitz as the Phantom of the Opera

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

It Follows was real good and weird.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Kingsman

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Kingsman was very good.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
John WIck.

Kingsman.

Dragonball Z: Resurrection

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ehhhhhhnnnnnn posted:

Act of killing is a seriously good movie but maybe you should calm down

Maybe but it's really head and shoulders above any other documentary and I think it's pretty amazing to have something like that appear in my lifetime.

Sorry to be positive in the Geebous

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I saw "Wrestling for Jesus" three weeks ago.

It's a documentary about people who live in the south and are Christian backyard wrestlers. It's from 2011 and was on Netflix which is how I saw it.
If you like tales of addiction, redemption, and happy (non-sexual) endings, you'll love this movie.

It was really entertaining. Maybe it's already famous, but I just saw it.

Angela Lansburial
Feb 9, 2005
Nothing to see here.

Inzombiac posted:

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I'd like to see that. I read it was a horror movie that is a metaphor for STDs. Is this true? I don't get out much.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Ex Machina is pretty good and is on Amazon prime

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Al Cowens posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Fury

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Not exactly a movie, but Man in the High Castle is pretty awesome.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Turbo Kid owned pretty hard and is now on Netflix.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Mud: Like Huckleberry Finn plus True Detective. Plus it's nice to see a movie about the south and southerners that's more than just a punchline.

Al Cowens posted:

Edge of Tomorrow

Inzombiac posted:

Jastiger posted:

John WIck.

the man from uncle and american ultra were alright too

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Cartouche posted:

Not exactly a movie, but Man in the High Castle is pretty awesome.
that more has to do with Phillip K. Dick being a fantastic author

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Frequency is not that recent but it is a very good movie and no one seems to have ever heard of it.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

the man from uncle and american ultra were alright too

I liked that Landis guy's YouTube video about wrestling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
i cant believe how underrated Mad Max: Fury Road was
its a great movie but everyone says its the worst movie ever, especially all goons in gbs

• Locked thread