Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Played with the dog a little bit before I left for work. Just checked in with work to let them know I'm ready for orders, and looked down...

Shorts are covered in dog hair. Damnit. At least it'll be dark fairly soon, so people hopefully won't notice... much.

I have a lint roller in my car just in case this situation arises. Pugs shed way more hair than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tomarse posted:

looks like it might have just been 'hacked' because the root account was enabled and had a default password and someone found my SSH port.

I am a linux beginner (I pretty much solely work with Windows stuff) and had assumed that the root account was disabled for any sort of interactive logon (raspbian makes you use a 'pi' account) - but when I restored my backup from around Christmas I could see a previous logon by root from a few days earlier on a remote IP - and could ssh to it myself as root and it has a generic default password.

I am now reinstalling it and shall take note of the lessons I have learnt this time and shall move any NAT rules onto more random ports, and enable SSH key based auth (and sort out the root account!).

Amusingly, I spend far too much time at work hacking windows devices (often using default passwords which are not strong in education systems!) and one of my jobs for the next few weeks is to finish writing a script that attempts to brute force passwords on all the windows servers, various common windows services and switches inside the corporate network of one of my clients (with permission!)

That sounds like a lot of fun. I would love to be able to get a job like that.

If you're interested in learning more about Linux hacking, you can probably use Kali Linux. It's a Linux distro dedicated to pen testing. Might be useful to you.

88h88 posted:

Can you hack our campus security please? I feel ours is lacking and the people in charge need a kick up the arse about it considering we have some 25000 students...

*edit @tomarse

It's probably easier than you think.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
While I was filling up, I saw a high schooler pull into a gas station in a newish Buick LaCrosse.

He got out of the car and started walking inside. He immediately jumped back into his car, as it was rolling backwards towards my car.

I guess someone forgot to pull the handbrake.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Raluek posted:

The newer ones have an electric parking brake. They're... not very intuitive.

sounds like he also forgot to put it in park, though

Based on how long it took for him to accelerate and park again, I think it was a manual and he probably just learned how to drive stick.

Edit: can you even take out the key of the car isn't in park?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

spog posted:

Juet found out my blood pressure is literally off the chart.

But on the plus side, I have an automatic; so when I stroke out, at least I can continue to drive as I don't need the left side of my body.

So, good job me I guess.

Please get this taken care of. It's something that's pretty manageable and might be signs that something else is wrong.

Enourmo posted:

ok but what about vaccines causing autism

i mean being autistical is literally worse than dying at age 7 of a disease that was supposed to be eradicated decades ago

My friend is a doctor and hates dealing with anti-vaxxer parents. They want you to do everything you can up until vaccination.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Cage posted:

I was looking at renting a challenger r/t for my father sometime this summer. When he got out of vietnam the first thing he spent his money on was a plum crazy challenger which unfortunately he no longer has and theres a local place that rents it out for $149/day as long as its Mon-Thurs. Hes battled 2 cancers over the past five years, just had both of knees replaced and he deserves a little slice of his youth for a few days.

Not sure if I want to do a 3 day M-Th rental ($450) or a 2 day weekend rental ($490).

Are you my long lost sibling? My dad was in Vietnam, had a double knee and hip replacement, and battled cancer. He loves it when I take him out in the miata. Do your, sooner rather than later.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
People don't believe me that you can cut an onion without crying.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Edit: I forgot to quote broken knuckles.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
It's the trend of cars these days. Each generation keeps getting bigger and bigger. I noticed last night that modern F-150s are too long for some parking spots these days.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I admittedly am not current at all on the Honda line up but if I was only shown this photo and someone told me it was a Civic and NOT an Accord I would tell them they were full of crap. Every generation of Car X gets fatter. This is because consumers are stupid. When asked what they would want improved on their current car they say things like "I wish it had a bigger trunk, and more room in the back seat". Rather than telling them "Then you bought the wrong car you rear end clown, let me introduce you to a Camry/Accord/5 series" they take a great proportioned car for a given market segment and turn it into a fatty. The title of my E36 M3 is rated as a "Sub-Compact" for craps sake. The current 3 series is so huge it dwarfs a mid 90's 5 series.

Maybe it's a price thing too? Sure an accord or mid sized car would have been a better fit but they could only afford the civic. I'm probably grasping at straws though since that doesn't usually stop people from buying things that they can't afford.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

iwentdoodie posted:

My in laws, who are both 50ish, are flying in tomorrow. They've never flown anywhere in their lives.

Trying to walk them through how airports and connecting flights work is worse than explaining consequences to children.

Any reason why they've never flown? I can't blame them post 9/11. They're probably only heard about how much flying sucks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

drat..you just gave me a thought. I never list a number because I don't technically have a burner #...but I do have a second line that I don't use for ANYTHING that is technically work related, but work uses my primary cell... I should just list that #. Might make things easier.

Do you have a Google voice number? If not, they're easy to setup.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

ssjonizuka posted:

Sharky/marioon - I have not set one up. I don't sell much, so never thought it was worth the bother. But maybe I just need to bite the bullet and get it going.

They're really handy. I used to give it out whenever I didn't want to give out my real number. It's easy to block numbers and discontinue forwarding.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Aren't you out of space for cars?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Can you use a nexus phone on either of those carriers? Through personal experience and watching my friends go through various android phones, get a nexus or don't bother. With all of the vulnerabilities found in android these days, at least you'll get a chance at getting them patched in a reasonable amount of time too.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Deeters posted:

One of my coworkers and I (we're both MechEs) were reviewing some resumes that my office got. I was surprised at how many there were without any sort of mechanical experience. I don't expect everyone to go out and get an internship with a major company, but there was barely even any "I work on my own vehicles" listed.

Does that kind of thing help on a resume? Obviously, it can't beat out an internship but could that decide between two almost equal candidates with no experience?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I still never watched the second captain America movie because I used to work near where they filmed it. It made my commute much worse and the few times I had to deal with the film crew they were dicks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Sandbagger SA posted:

It was fantastic. You should reconsider.

I probably will before civil war comes out.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Texas goons, I may be going to Houston next month. Are there any restaurants to check out? I don't know where I'll be staying but I'll be working at the MD Anderson hospital.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Of course, you know I went there first :doh:.

I just went to podcasts on my iPhone menu and just searched from there.

The native podcast app kind of sucks IMO. Try Downcast.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

some texas redneck posted:

Never thought I'd wind up with my pants soaked in piss while at work. Or, well, anywhere. :stare:

One of our regulars is a guy with MS who can't get around very well. He usually uses an office chair to scoot around his apartment, using his arms to pull himself along. He also keeps the door unlocked (it's a higher end gated apartment complex, and he's on the top floor, so I don't blame him). Got there tonight, knocked, heard "come in!"... and... he'd been on the floor for over an hour. And had knocked over a urinal.

Tried to help him back into his chair several times, but I couldn't lift him. He finally insisted that I go back to work and said he'd call someone, but asked me to call and check on him in a bit. So I did, and couldn't get an answer. So I did the needful and sent paramedics over there, telling them that a diabetic with MS was down and I wasn't able to reach him, and asked if they could check on him.

He called me a bit later and thanked me for sending someone. :3: Spending a bit of time helping him kinda hosed us on deliveries for a bit since we're already on a shoestring staff on Mondays, but the dispatcher called my other orders and told them why I was running late and comped their orders for them.

You're a good dude for doing that.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BloodBag posted:

Welp, FUCK2016 is official for me. My Wife got a call from her Aunt on her birthday. The police entered my FIL's house and found him deceased. He lived alone in CA. We are both in shock, he was so fit and really quirky. What do I do now? I've never had to deal with losing a parent. Will we have to go out there I guess? Any help figuring out what to do would be appreciated. :negative: This sucks, he was so cool.

Sorry man. I would suggest taking a breath and try to relax. The next week's and couple of months are going to be difficult. First, I would notify any relatives that your aunt hasn't already notified. You'll want to find out if he had a will. It will be easier if he did. If your relatives sucks, you may have to go and grab anything that's not nailed down.

Notify your work what's going on and be prepared to take some time off of work. There's not a lot you can do today but there will be plenty of things to do in the upcoming week. I'd start looking at flights or ways to get out there in the next few days.

Go out to dinner tonight with your wife. I find out best not to sit around and mope.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BloodBag posted:

We're going to pack running clothes and do a 'Run for Dad' up there :unsmith:

That sounds really nice.

BloodBag posted:

I'm just here to do logistics and be supportive for now. I'll mourn in my own time. All of this just feels so surreal.

You're allowed to mourn too. Don't hold it in, it just makes it worse. The next few days are going to be surreal.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
That's a super cool video literally a fish.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Maybe I'm just lazy but I've always just made rice in a rice cooker.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Enourmo posted:

see i keep seeing those recommended but before i could always do it perfectly and quickly so it was never an issue for me

tonight though i let it sit a good 25 minutes including rest time and it was still grainy with water in the bottom

I know the rice cooker is slow. Mine takes about 40 minutes to make a pot. I like it since I can walk away and do other things or cook something else while I wait.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

goatse guy posted:

The weather was so nice here this weekend. A few more weeks and it will be time to take out the Miata.

Glad you didn't sell yours. Getting excited to take mine out too in a few weeks.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, this.
Avoid the distractions.
In my case, I lived off campus, so this was also what to do between classes.
I should note here that I never finished, but that was because I waffled on what to do, not because of bad grades (4.3 @ 120 hours, thankyouverymuch, not that any of those credit hours are still valid after 20 years.)

You'd be surprised. At my school, they base it off the year you started so you could go back after 20 years and not have to take a ton of classes. Might be worth looking into for you if you're interested.

Enourmo posted:

mostly i freak out cause ive got like a 3.06 at 170 credit hours.

You're fine. If you have a 3.0+, you can put it on your resume. If not, leave it off.

alternate.eago posted:

All this college talk is reminding me that one of the conditions I had for this position was I need to go to college. I graduated HS in 2006. gently caress, it's been 10 years and I'm actually scared of enrolling. I hated school, tests were cool, and actually fun, but everything else about it sucked. I hate sitting in classes, and I especially hate homework, but I know that when I go, its gotta be in a classroom otherwise I'm not really gonna pay attention. I'm super anxious (I mean like almost panic attack levels) and not at all excited. I'm actually envious of everyone who went to college immediately out of high school, because now I feel like I'm gonna be the old dude in the room even though I just turned 28. I just don't feel as sharp as I used to. But I have to go to school, and I know I can't put it off any longer. But I'm kinda freaking out about it.

Are you planning on going to a four year school? I'd recommend going to a community college first and testing the waters. School isn't for everyone and that's okay. It's going to sound weird but you'll have an advantage over a lot of college freshman. You've been in the real world. If I had known what the real world was like, I would've worked a lot harder in school. The people that seemed to work the hardest in all of my courses were those returning to education.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

He had 20 people giving sincere advice trying to help, and what does he choose to focus on? The two posters who were negative and flippant. And I don't blame those posters, this is SA and you have to expect that at some point.

When you have that many people giving you advice, it kind of feels like everyone is ganging up on you. I don't think we were trying to gang up on you, we just wanted to help and see him succeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Deeters posted:

None of them were ever good movies, but I've enjoyed watching all of them (except 2). Just gotta turn your brain off completely.

This. They're not good movies but they can be fun to watch.

• Locked thread