Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Le Saboteur posted:

This is the face of a man who has not got his steak on in quite some time.

It looks like his head doesn't belong to that body. Like when you do a character creation in a video game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sprecherscrow posted:

Could Sage even get in?

If he can't get into McGill, Concordia is still a pretty good undergraduate institution, though neither of them are that close to Tristar. He has made enough money in the UFC so far (disclosed) to pay for a whole degree there, even with international tuition fees.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

This is so mesmerising.

e: Apparently Northcutt's going to Tri-Star full time next time out and is the only MMA fighter at his current gym and as such did not have the ability to spar during camp.

I hope he doesn't get homesick, Montreal is a long way from Uncanny Valley

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

DoombatINC posted:

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bigg Rigg actually dieted and is at the lowest weight he's ever been on a tuesday before a fight.

Wow, Trevor looks a lot better on the PC version

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
The submission monster Ben Rothwell speaks. http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/ben-rothwell-my-submissions-are-like-cheat-codes-no-one-knows-what-i-m-doing-020116

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Reportedly, the UFC's offer to Benson Henderson was going to pay him a lot more than the Bellator deal.... but only if he became a champion. That seems unlikely, so if we presume he wasn't going to win a UFC belt, the Bellator offer was higher than the UFC's offer.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

In a profession where his career could be sidelined or ended by injuries at any moment, it seems the wiser decision to take the bigger pay check up front, along with the presumably much greater sponsorship money available to him in Bellator.

I don't follow Bellator at all so I don't know what the level of competition is there, but I hope to see Benson murk some dudes and collect some paychecks soon.

threeagainstfour fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 2, 2016

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I would quite like to see Overeem fight Bigfoot Silva again.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Bigg Rigg now mid sized SUV

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Bigg Rigg finally drives through weigh station without incident.

Would that fit for a GDT title? It is quite good.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
let's not jump the gun on johny hendricks just yet, there's plenty of time for him to encounter kidney stones or clinically too hard poo

mewse
May 2, 2006

DoombatINC posted:

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
This may not be newsworthy, but the NY Senate passed the MMA legalization bill for the 7th year in a row.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
That sage northcutt is 19 and has no one to spare with, yet is still 2-1 in the ufc is impressive

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Dangersim posted:

That sage northcutt is 19 and has no one to spare with, yet is still 2-1 in the ufc is impressive

Imagine what he could do with a couple years of real coaching, away from his insane family? Hopefully his talent is not wasted

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

threeagainstfour posted:

In a profession where his career could be sidelined or ended by injuries at any moment, it seems the wiser decision to take the bigger pay check up front, along with the presumably much greater sponsorship money available to him in Bellator.

I don't follow Bellator at all so I don't know what the level of competition is there, but I hope to see Benson murk some dudes and collect some paychecks soon.

I think he'd murk a lot of the shittier lightweights, beat Chandler, and have a close fight with Brooks.

fake edit: aaaand he's fighting some scrub for the welterweight title.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Northjayhawk posted:

Imagine what he could do with a couple years of real coaching, away from his insane family? Hopefully his talent is not wasted

The reason he has talent is because his insane family forced him to do martial arts and lift weights since he was 4

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Powerful insanity is the best base for MMA

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Work Friend Keven posted:

As is being forced from a young age to do a high level workout regimen by your family as manyak pointed out, but this is a chicken-and-egg, yin-and-yang kind of situation that we can never truly resolve

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sage may Marinovich at any time.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Ronda and Sage going to get together and trade parental war stories.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Ronda: "My mom would wake me up by trying to choke me out."
Sage: "My dad would wake me up by screaming the feds are coming and injecting me with a strange syringe"

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Exactly

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

In a way Dana must be glad that Cerrone isn't champ, it's probably better for his heart.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Ronda's mom is cool and good though.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Jordan mein also had a crazy dad who made him do fighting, he went pro and fought Rory mcdonald at age 16, by age 19 he was way better and had way more upside than Sage (he was like 20 when he KOd cyborg, Zaromskis, and went to decision with Tyron woodley that he probably should have won), eventually he got his face broken by Matt Brown and had way too many miles on him and retired at age 25. MMA isnt a sport where being decent at age 19 guarantees that youll just keep getting better and stay motivated to fight once you are an adult who doesnt have to answer to your abusive dad

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Northjayhawk posted:

Reportedly, the UFC's offer to Benson Henderson was going to pay him a lot more than the Bellator deal.... but only if he became a champion. That seems unlikely, so if we presume he wasn't going to win a UFC belt, the Bellator offer was higher than the UFC's offer.

Benson was right to assume he would never be successful in the ufc

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hendricks hair is getting better and better. hopefully his poop stays soft enough to fight. is anyone picking wonderboy?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Lyoto machdia's insane karate dad told him to stop fighting after he lost to Jon Jones (maybe shogun?) because of the brain damage so instead Lyoto started training under 10th Dan tramautic brain injury black belt sensei melvin

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Skip My Posts posted:

hendricks hair is getting better and better. hopefully his poop stays soft enough to fight. is anyone picking wonderboy?

The fight became five rounds on short notice, which favors his cardio. That said, Hendricks' style theoretically favors a decision as well, seeing as Wonderboy has shown a weakness to wrestling before. There are a lot of weird variables and x factors here that make it so I wouldn't be surprised at most outcomes, but I do pick Hendricks.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
You did everything you set out to do, you proved karate's effectiveness in mma, revolutionized the sport, became the best fighter in the world for a brief period, became the most interesting fighter in the world, have nothing left to prove, made a pile of money, got free lugz, etc.

What is left to do?

Go learn how to get ever increasingly knocked out on team Melvin fight team, I guess

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

david carmichael posted:

You did everything you set out to do, you proved karate's effectiveness in mma, revolutionized the sport, became the best fighter in the world for a brief period, became the most interesting fighter in the world, have nothing left to prove, made a pile of money, got free lugz, etc.

What is left to do?

Go learn how to get ever increasingly knocked out on team Melvin fight team, I guess

on the other hand, he got tanned and lost weight and raised his sexual market value

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Out from under his dad's opressive yoke he finally got a non-home haircut so it seems worth it.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Cowboy flips and wrecks his Raptor two weeks before a fight and the perfectly normal reaction is absolutely none whatsoever.

I love this sport.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

manyak posted:

Jordan mein also had a crazy dad who made him do fighting, he went pro and fought Rory mcdonald at age 16, by age 19 he was way better and had way more upside than Sage (he was like 20 when he KOd cyborg, Zaromskis, and went to decision with Tyron woodley that he probably should have won), eventually he got his face broken by Matt Brown and had way too many miles on him and retired at age 25. MMA isnt a sport where being decent at age 19 guarantees that youll just keep getting better and stay motivated to fight once you are an adult who doesnt have to answer to your abusive dad

I remember when Stefan Struve was 22 people were all like "Man this dude is gonna be such a stud in five years" and instead he has remained, and will always remain, Stefan Struve.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

attackmole posted:

I remember when Stefan Struve was 22 people were all like "Man this dude is gonna be such a stud in five years" and instead he has remained, and will always remain, Stefan Struve.

To be fair, Northcutt just went up to train full time at a very high-level gym, whereas Struve continues to train with "Dirty" Bob Schrijber

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Northcutt is basically the MMA Draco Malfoy

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Melvin Manhoef cornering Lyoto Machida was a special moment in time and I'm glad it happened for reasons that I will never understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sportsgenius86 posted:

Northcutt is basically the MMA Draco Malfoy

That is a terrible analogy.

• Locked thread