Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico
Settle the gently caress down you bunch of kids.

Just because this countries state of affairs regarding many things is far below where it should be, doesn't mean this thread should be filled with utter poo poo. Just maybe can we try to keep slightly more on topic, and not act like a god damned group of wild enraged children mid-tantrum.

It was the first day back in parliament today with Question Time, and being an election year I was hoping for more educational loving discussions.

Feel free to ignore me, but gently caress you if you do, for you are bringing down the level of discourse for everyone, and that poo poo enrages me, comedy forum or not.

Edit: I'll take of advantage of this snipe to hopefully lead a more thoughtful debate about 1: How hosed we are, but more importantly 2: What we can do to improve our situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

all of you should make better posts. not me though, I'm just here to point out that your posts are poo poo and tell you to do better.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Redcordial posted:

Just because this countries state of affairs regarding many things is far below where it should be, doesn't mean this thread should be filled with utter poo poo. Just maybe can we try to keep slightly more on topic, and not act like a god damned group of wild enraged children mid-tantrum.

It was the first day back in parliament today with Question Time, and being an election year I was hoping for more educational loving discussions.

Feel free to ignore me, but gently caress you if you do, for you are bringing down the level of discourse for everyone, and that poo poo enrages me, comedy forum or not.

Edit: I'll take of advantage of this snipe to hopefully lead a more thoughtful debate about 1: How hosed we are, but more importantly 2: What we can do to improve our situation.

The Commonwealth of Australia is directly responsible for the rape and torture of children who have fled war and persecution

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

BBJoey posted:

all of you should make better posts. not me though, I'm just here to point out that your posts are poo poo and tell you to do better.

I had more to write but had to help a neighbour out for something much less serious than the loud yelling implied..

Now I'm just annoyed rather than annoyed and productive, looking for better employment has been wearing me down to be honest. I'm going to get back to writing and use my spare time to get some solid work done.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

Redcordial posted:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Do you reckon you could maybe cut the poo poo with the dude pics that are bordering on NSFW or better yet just loving stop posting all together?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Laserface posted:

Do you reckon you could maybe cut the poo poo with the dude pics that are bordering on NSFW or better yet just loving stop posting all together?

More Pavel please

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
It's Pavel all the way down

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I'd like some more Pavel with that post please.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Laserface posted:

I'll stop posting Pavel when the thread posts stuff that is better than Pavel

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

One serve of Pavel with toast plz

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Birb Katter posted:

I'll stop posting Pavel when the thread posts stuff that is better than Pavel

Not being able to post any better. Auspols one weakness!

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Can't stop raping Mr Speaker

starkebn posted:

More Pavel please

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MrsMachineGun was outraged this morning about the proposed changes to the senate voting laws this morning - while I argued that the current system is less than representative the other side of the coin is Libs and Labor want to change it so they can have more seats for themselves. Is it worth changing to keep nutballs like Leyonhelm out or worth keeping for the occasional good 'un like Muir to slip through?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Leyonhelm is still better than having the Lib that would be in his place.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
High Court has thrown out the case about offshore processing being illegal

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

MysticalMachineGun posted:

MrsMachineGun was outraged this morning about the proposed changes to the senate voting laws this morning - while I argued that the current system is less than representative the other side of the coin is Libs and Labor want to change it so they can have more seats for themselves. Is it worth changing to keep nutballs like Leyonhelm out or worth keeping for the occasional good 'un like Muir to slip through?

More democracy is better than less - the two party system has to end, but not at the expense of the senate. Less lab/lib has to come from votes going directly to other parties, not indirectly through preference whispering

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Birb Katter posted:

Wait, that means those 30+ babies will be sent to Nauru right?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Wait, that means those 30+ babies will be sent to Nauru right?

Along with 50 odd children and 100 plus women iirc

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Birb Katter posted:

This post needed more Pavel to counter news that poo poo

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Muir was on ABC24 this morning saying that he'd like to see the end of preferences altogether.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

An end to preferences meaning a first past the post system?

The idea that changing the rules around preferences will make our system 'more democratic' is a bit of a stretch. What will it achieve except making it easier for the major parties to say one thing before the election and do the opposite afterwards?

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Knorth posted:

This post needed more Pavel to counter news that poo poo

Pavel Legal are unable to save you from this I'm sorry.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
Bold the whole thing.

The Guardian posted:

Sri Lankan asylum seeker tells of terror on Nauru: 'If I am sent back, I will kill myself'

An asylum seeker brought to Australia after she was allegedly drugged and sexually assaulted on Nauru has spoken of her terror at the prospect of being sent back to the island.

Durga* a Sri Lankan Tamil, has a two decade-long history of torture and trauma, including rape, both in Sri Lanka and while in the Australian-run detention on Nauru, but faces the possibility of being returned to the Pacific island’s detention centres pending a high court challenge on Wednesday.

“I am too scared to go back to that place, my life will not be safe,” she told Guardian Australia through an interpreter from immigration detention on the Australian mainland. “If I am sent back to Nauru, I will commit suicide.”

Durga is one of 267 asylum seekers – including 72 children and 33 babies born in Australia – who could be removed to Nauru on 72 hours’ notice, if the high court decides on Wednesday it is within the government’s constitutional powers to detain people offshore.

Several of the asylum seekers at risk of being sent back to Nauru have told Guardian Australia they fear going back to the island, regardless of the status of the centres, saying they will be attacked there, or sexually assaulted, or that they will not receive required medical care.

Durga is one.

In 1996 in the northern Sri Lankan city of Jaffna, she was arrested by military officers who suspected her of links to the separatist Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE). Durga was 22 and had undergone, as almost all teenagers had, basic training with the LTTE. But she told Guardian Australia: “I was never a fighter, I was only involved in political activities.”

Durga says she was beaten and tortured, despite being pregnant, and gave birth to her son while in military custody. She was held for two years without charge or trial, before escaping to Colombo. Her husband disappeared while she was detained and has not been seen since. He is presumed dead, one of the tens of thousands “disappeared” during Sri Lanka’s civil war.

In Colombo, having been visited by friends from Jaffna, Durga was arrested again by military intelligence, interrogated and tortured. Even after being released, Durga says, she was almost routinely raped by the state’s security personnel.

“The military officers would come to my house. Every time they would come two or three men, they would grab me and force me to have sex with them. They expected me to cooperate, but I never did. I would resist. So they would tear my clothes from me, they would tie my hands and they would push clothes in my mouth so I could not scream. Then they would rape me,” she said.

“After they left, I would sit with my child and cry. They came back many times.”

Friends helped Durga escape to India in 2007 where she lived in a quasi-legal camp in Tamil Nadu, but further harassment by authorities caused her to board a boat, with her son, bound for Australia in 2014.

Durga was one of 157 Tamil asylum seekers on board a boat that was intercepted by an Australian customs vessel in July 2014. They were held on board the Australian ship for a month while the Australian government tried to return the people to India.

India refused to accept them, because they were not Indian citizens, and Australia was forced to bring the people to the Australian mainland, from where they were transferred to Nauru.

On Nauru, Durga says she never felt safe.

“In the tents, there were no locks, there could come into my tent at any time, and guards would threaten me and grab me. I was scared all the time,” she said.

“I was taking sleeping tablets because with my injuries from Sri Lanka, and my fear of being assaulted, I could not sleep. In the morning I woke up and my clothes were taken off me and things in my room had been moved. I felt like I had been raped.

“I was raped while I was taking the sleeping tablets I had been provided. I told the mental health nurse, who took my complaint seriously, and I was moved to Australia.”

Durga has been in detention in Australia with her son, now 19, since January 2015. She says she could not face being returned to Nauru.

“If I am sent back to Nauru, I will commit suicide. I cannot go back to that place.

“I don’t want any special treatment, I just want protection and freedom, that is all. I want to live without fear of being sent back to that place. I want to feel safe again.”

In a statement, Nauru police commissioner Corey Caleb said refugees regularly fabricated allegations of assault in order to garner publicity.

“They tell us they have been assaulted but their stories rarely add up: there is usually no physical evidence or witnesses or even any details.”

But the police force’s independence and capacity to properly investigate has been questioned.

A senate inquiry heard that detention centre operators had referred 50 cases to Nauruan police in recent years, but charges had been laid in just five cases, and nobody successfully prosecuted.

Nauru’s former resident magistrate, Peter Law, told the ABC last year Nauru’s police force was “politicised”.

Immigration minister Peter Dutton told Lateline on Tuesday night allegations of assault and sexual assault in detention centres were taken extremely seriously.

“The approach that we’ve taken and consistently is that if there are allegations that are being made we want those allegations to be properly investigated because, like any Australian, I won’t tolerate any thought of people, in particular children, being abused, by other refugees, by people otherwise.”

He said the government remained committed to its offshore processing policy, a key tenet of which is that any person who arrived in Australia by boat would not be settled in the country. Dutton said that policy had saved lives at sea.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
How many lives at sea equals how many kiddie rapes? I think the maths here may have gotten a little bit confused.

If anyone has the time a commentary on the text of the ruling would be awesome.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Cartoon posted:

How many lives at sea equals how many kiddie rapes? I think the maths here may have gotten a little bit confused.

If anyone has the time a commentary on the text of the ruling would be awesome.

The last paragraph of the High Court Judgement Summary does a decent job of it.

Judgment Summary posted:

The Court held, by majority, that the plaintiff was not entitled to the declaration sought. The
conduct of the Commonwealth in signing the second MOU with Nauru was authorised by s 61 of
the Constitution. The Court further held that the conduct of the Commonwealth in giving effect to
the second MOU (including by entry into the Administrative Arrangements and the Transfield
Contract) was authorised by s 198AHA of the Act, which is a valid law of the Commonwealth.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
From the Guardian live blog

quote:

Individual High Court asylum seeker findings

The main orders were written by justices French, Kiefel and Nettle.

Bell then agreed with the answers to the questions of law.

Gageler agreed with the substantive answers to the questions, while noting that “the plaintiff’s central claim (that the commonwealth and the minister acted beyond the executive power of the commonwealth by procuring and enforcing her detention at the regional processing centre between 24 March 2014 and 2 August 2014) to have been well-founded until 30 June 2015, when s 198AHA was inserted with retrospective effect”.

Keane also found 198AHA was a valid law of the commonwealth.

Gordon believed 198AHA was “beyond power and therefore invalid”.

(It would seem section 198AHA made the big difference to the government’s case.)

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

Birb Katter posted:

The last paragraph of the High Court Judgement Summary does a decent job of it.

It was a 6:1 majority, the only dissent was from Gordon said it was constitutional but beyond the scope of the Migration Act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM

fiery_valkyrie posted:

From the Guardian live blog

quote:

Gageler agreed with the substantive answers to the questions, while noting that “the plaintiff’s central claim (that the commonwealth and the minister acted beyond the executive power of the commonwealth by procuring and enforcing her detention at the regional processing centre between 24 March 2014 and 2 August 2014) to have been well-founded until 30 June 2015, when s 198AHA was inserted with retrospective effect”.

This is the section of the report that talks about that.

• Locked thread