Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold
re: the new NHL website.

If I try to go to the NHL home page, Firefox tells me their security certificate doesn't match and won't load the site.
If I try to go to any of the sub-pages (stats, scores, etc) it just doesn't connect at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

bewbies posted:

I'm not a marketing man but it seems like time spent on the site is way more important than things clicked on the site insofar as ad efficiency goes.
Marketing people, especially for big companies, give zero shits about that sort of thing. They pay per impression, not per seconds their ad is viewed.

beepo posted:

Making your website difficult to use in an attempt to make a couple extra ad dollars seems really short sighted if you want to sell people on your product.
Definitely this. Going for a higher CPM ad rate works fine for websites where that's their main monetization method, but for a company where it should really be an afterthought it's totally counterproductive.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I can't watch :scott:'s highlights from last night and not get a big, dumb, happy grin on my face even today. His genuine surprise at being named MVP, the entire roster being behind him, Taylor Hall's giddiness when Scott got MVP, Bettman being a oval office with the check presentation. :3:

DJExile posted:

I got curious and looked at other leagues' sites and oh god NASCAR what the poo poo is going on with that sport

Fixed.

But seriously, SASCAR has been saying this for years about the site. I just opened NHL.com for the first time and it reminds me of NASCAR.com.

Furnaceface posted:

Lost in all the :scott: fun was the fact that Burns and Pavelski were going all out in making sure the guy had the time of his life. I have to wonder if it would have been as memorable if those 2 werent constantly pushing the guy to just roll with it.

Doc was saying in the commentary just before the first goal that Sutter had said everyone on the Pacific team wanted a shift with him, so without Burns/Pavelski saying "Just go to the net and we'll get it to you", he might still have had some help.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Uh I don't think the NHL is selling ad space on their website anyway (ads just redirect you to NHL products). It's just lovely design. (looks fine on my phone though and I don't use the NHL site other than for game stats sooooo)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Cartoon Man posted:

Watch Patrick Kane get introduced at the All Star game! You won't believe what happens next...

I like this

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Yeah I get the bitching about the milquetoast-ness of the NHL website, but I don't really get the bitching about the ads. The only ads I can see are for GCL (and it's not like the last website overadvertised GCL, nosir) and the NHL app.

I can see them getting some ads later on down the track, but I can also see it being used to advertise things like the Stadium Series games, Hockey Fights Cancer and the Draft similarly to the... uhh... similarly to the old site.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

beepo posted:

Making your website difficult to use in an attempt to make a couple extra ad dollars seems really short sighted if you want to sell people on your product.

So is forcing hockey teams on southern American cities that aren't interested in hockey and never will be, and so is allowing coaches and players to play suffocating defensive strategies that largely rely on maneuvers that have always been against the rules, but, welp, welcome to the NHL

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

adorable

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Cartoon Man posted:

Watch Patrick Kane get introduced at the All Star game! You won't believe what happens next...

This is probably my favorite part of the entire proceedings. That arena was good at booing him for the entire game, too.

fits posted:

adorable

[NHL]

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Because nothing in this world can happen without an accompanying change.org petition...

https://www.change.org/p/nbc-nhl-nbcsn-a-petition-to-remove-nbc-sports-network-desk-analyst-mike-milbury

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Hockles posted:

Because nothing in this world can happen without an accompanying change.org petition...

https://www.change.org/p/nbc-nhl-nbcsn-a-petition-to-remove-nbc-sports-network-desk-analyst-mike-milbury

You say that like it's not a good cause, though. :colbert:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

fits posted:

adorable

What's :scott:'s rating in NHL16? Got to be like a 72 or something.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

So is forcing hockey teams on southern American cities that aren't interested in hockey and never will be, and so is allowing coaches and players to play suffocating defensive strategies that largely rely on maneuvers that have always been against the rules, but, welp, welcome to the NHL

Putting teams in non-traditional NHL markets is a long term play to expand the reach of the game that will eventually pay off in revenue and talent.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Hockles posted:

Yeah, they're not wrong

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
John Scott has been approached for endorsement opportunities? Like for $1,000 he'll show up for 4 hours at your favorite pub in St. John's?

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy
Anyone having trouble signing up for the nhl.tv? I cancelled my monthly sub after it refused to let me upgrade and now it's not letting me go through to purchase the rest of the season pass, saying I'm already registered under something else. Is that something I need to call on or just wait until my monthly runs out?

Also, can you just paypal for international and fill in any billing address? If this isn't an appropriate question just let me know and I'll delete it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

Anyone having trouble signing up for the nhl.tv? I cancelled my monthly sub after it refused to let me upgrade and now it's not letting me go through to purchase the rest of the season pass, saying I'm already registered under something else. Is that something I need to call on or just wait until my monthly runs out?

Also, can you just paypal for international and fill in any billing address? If this isn't an appropriate question just let me know and I'll delete it.

It's probably just bugged out, give it a day or two and try again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/PxPOttawa/status/694290585193152513

Cowen.... good?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

If I've learned anything from my admittedly few years in web development, it's that I feel bad for the poor fuckers who had to do a midseason release. They're going to be be working crazy hours for at least two weeks until the bugs die down

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3

Luceo posted:

I've gone from hating :scott: when he was a Shark to loving him. :allears: Now I'm glad I was there when he scored a goal against the Caps.

Thanks NHL, for loving this up so badly that it turned out so great in the end despite your best efforts. Godspeed, John Scott.

:scott::scott::scott:

I never hated :scott: all that much when he was a Shark, because Mike Brown was right there.

And still is right there.

Still.

Doug Wilson :argh:

John Scott has also made tofes many returns on the :10bux: he invested for the lolz, which is infinitely more than Mike Brown has ever done for any member of SJAS ever.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
buying :scott: is my single greatest contribution to humanity as far as I'm concerned

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

tofes posted:

buying :scott: is my single greatest contribution to humanity as far as I'm concerned

definitely your greatest contribution to SAS heh

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

tofes posted:

I love you

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Canucks sign Biega to the contract that Sbisa should have (been turned down for)

2 years 1.5 million funbucks (0.75m aav)

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

nature6pk posted:

Canucks sign Biega to the contract that Sbisa should have (been turned down for)

2 years 1.5 million funbucks (0.75m aav)

He's actually been okay since he was called up this season.

And by "ok" I mean better than Bartkowski and Sbisa, though that's not a difficult feat.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

tofes posted:

Don't say that, I'm sure you do a lot of good stuff.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!

grack posted:

He's actually been okay since he was called up this season.

And by "ok" I mean better than Bartkowski and Sbisa, though that's not a difficult feat.

That's the perfect contract for a depth guy.

Immolate Benning.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I hope he fills his boots

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

So, without the internet creating and jumping behind the Scott for ASG train, Scott would have never gone to an ASG and probably would not have found a contract next year. Career over. Instead, he got $90k a new car, possibly at least an AHL contract for next year/beyond (speculation but looks so much more likely), some endorsements and a movie deal? Just think about that for a second. It is legitimately life changing. You know, the internet hive mind can do some really cool poo poo when we're not all too busy looking at cat memes :shobon:

-Don't read this as if Scott himself did nothing to bring this though, I mean, he still scored 2 goals in the ASG and handled this whole situation with a humble grace I doubt many others could have pulled off.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

On new NHL site chat: Infinite scrolling is the Cool New Thing all the hot web design schools are teaching now. Because reasons.

I understand that so far as Marketing is concerned desktops are a thing of the past and everything is designed for smartphones now. It's just that, uh, NHL.com's new design is terrible on a smartphone too. ESPN's current design that they brought out last year is even worse, it's the single worst design I have ever seen on a major website and it's not close.

Uniforms are getting worse too and my theory is that it's all connected and we're getting into a Bad Design trend that's going to take some years to run its course.

So I'm not the only one that sees it too

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Holtby gets to wear the baseball cap tonight, Grubauer gets the start. Not sure why, I think it's better to get Holtby going again, but I guess with Ovie and others out, Trotz doesn't want to hurt Holtby's win record? That doesn't make sense though, maybe he tweaked something at the All Star game and needs a day or two.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
All things considered uniform wise there's been a noticeable tick upwards from what they brought us when Reebok first took over in 07-08, at least in my opinion. There's a lot more color, and a lot less needless piping.

I just really hope Adidas leaves the majority of uniforms alone, except for maybe Phoenix, San Jose, Ottawa, and Colorado.

Edit: And Anaheim, they have the worst set in the league.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Cartoon Man posted:

Holtby gets to wear the baseball cap tonight, Grubauer gets the start. Not sure why, I think it's better to get Holtby going again, but I guess with Ovie and others out, Trotz doesn't want to hurt Holtby's win record? That doesn't make sense though, maybe he tweaked something at the All Star game and needs a day or two.

Well that and, I mean, it's the Panthers. Let him get going for the Metro games after.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

LumpyGumby posted:

All things considered uniform wise there's been a noticeable tick upwards from what they brought us when Reebok first took over in 07-08, at least in my opinion. There's a lot more color, and a lot less needless piping.

I just really hope Adidas leaves the majority of uniforms alone, except for maybe Phoenix, San Jose, Ottawa, and Colorado.

Edit: And Anaheim, they have the worst set in the league.

I think I'd like if Anaheim switched to the burnt orange as a primary color. Their alts now are pretty cool and good imo.

e: i suppose it's technically not burnt orange but it is a darker orange than the flyers i think?

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Look Around You posted:

I think I'd like if Anaheim switched to the burnt orange as a primary color. Their alts now are pretty cool and good imo.

e: i suppose it's technically not burnt orange but it is a darker orange than the flyers i think?

Their alts feel too busy for me, and I just have never liked their colors since they wore eggplant. The orange and black mixed with the beige lines just feels gross.

The old Mighty Ducks unis were distinctly Californian, and while a little goofy, they fit and were unique.

And I'm not sure if it's a shade or two darker than the Flyers or if it's just because it's a secondary color to black.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

darkwolf220 posted:

So, without the internet creating and jumping behind the Scott for ASG train, Scott would have never gone to an ASG and probably would not have found a contract next year. Career over. Instead, he got $90k a new car, possibly at least an AHL contract for next year/beyond (speculation but looks so much more likely), some endorsements and a movie deal? Just think about that for a second. It is legitimately life changing. You know, the internet hive mind can do some really cool poo poo when we're not all too busy looking at cat memes :shobon:

-Don't read this as if Scott himself did nothing to bring this though, I mean, he still scored 2 goals in the ASG and handled this whole situation with a humble grace I doubt many others could have pulled off.

Truly we have helped the less fortunate. Couldn't have happened to a man more in need.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

LumpyGumby posted:

Their alts feel too busy for me, and I just have never liked their colors since they wore eggplant. The orange and black mixed with the beige lines just feels gross.

The old Mighty Ducks unis were distinctly Californian, and while a little goofy, they fit and were unique.

And I'm not sure if it's a shade or two darker than the Flyers or if it's just because it's a secondary color to black.

They're just a touch darker/deeper, but not by much.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Can any of you with gamecenter/.tv logins actually use the service as of right now? My credentials get rejected each time. I'm going to assume it's hosed for the time being, but I hope it's fixed by game time.

All Gamecenter accounts carry over correct?

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
That's what I thought, just wasn't sure.

That picture also shows the Flyers third, which I dislike for the same reason, the "off white" beige color. It doesn't work with orange and black.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

LumpyGumby posted:

That's what I thought, just wasn't sure.

That picture also shows the Flyers third, which I dislike for the same reason, the "off white" beige color. It doesn't work with orange and black.

You're crazy the cream color totally works on that jersey. They should make an away version for the next inevitable WC.

• Locked thread