Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The citizens forum lets them kick the can down the road a bit. Fine Gael relies on a hard-line catholic votership in a much more tangible sense than most political parties in the country. The idea that they might be the political party to introduce godless baby murdering into legislation will hurt that vote in years to come. They are probably afraid of driving said voting bloc into the arms of the great enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nope, DIT are in Grangegorman. They've been talking about making a Uni out of all the outlying ITs for years. Hasn't happened yet. Probably won't. Tallaght IT changed to IT Tallaght when it became clear that the acronym was TIT. Most of the ITs have done something similar.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

As much as I want a gay taoiseach to run our gay little country I want one that isn't a loving blueshirt.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Captain Gordon posted:

I fundamentally disagree with that. Sure, they may not wage wars, kick out immigrants or poo poo on minorities, but they are by far not good people. The big 3 - Charlie Haughey, Bertie and Biffo - robbed the country blind and walked away untouchable millionaires. Irish top brass politicians are the epitome of "gently caress you, got mine", with their head shoved so deep in Reagan-like capitalism, they might as well be American.

On top of that, our country has almost no checks and balances on decisions made by individuals in goverment, with recent decade's examples being Irish water, the sale of Irish natural resources under the table and the Hill of Tara motorway. I am not saying that all those decisions are inherently wrong, but they definitely did not go through a due process - some gently caress made the decision, sent a few brown envelopes and it was a done deal.

That is some straight up hosed banana republic bullshit.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think that's because being an immigrant anywhere sucks. I feel it a lot here, even though I am a white male living in liberal dream state of California.

That said, there is no way in hell I would be able to earn any decent money or afford a house or even a car working an IT job in Ireland. I would probably be a wage-slave for the rest of my life to some celtic tiger era cuck manager that doesnt have an ounce of competence about them, but got the job because they know someone in the org (which is, coincidentally, how our politics work). No, gently caress that, I would rather have the Orange Pissbaby as my president (as long as he doesn't deport me, lol)!

This whole post comes off as a rant, and I am sorry for sounding like that. The whole Irish politics thing is a touchy subject and it was a huge contributor to me immigrating. I would never consider coming back, because I simply do not see any change on the horizon - the literal retards who voted for FG are going to vote for FF next, ergo, the circlejerk of poverty, misery and bipartisan oligarchic politics will continue forever.

FG and FF are losing ground to the left over time, the further we get from the civil war the smaller the differences between the two parties get, change is inevitable. The "Literal Retards" you mention need to be given an alternative to their shyster second cousin who is the local FF/FG'er. This is coming in the form of a growing left. AAA-PBP took West Belfast from Sinn Fein for fucksake. In the next round of elections they'll probably take the social democrat seats in Dublin too. Marriage equality and now the Repeal the 8th campaign are giving visibility to the left on social issues and forcing the larger parties to co opt their language and ideas to remain relevant.

Progress is being made.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Bedshaped posted:

I would categorise Ireland as being a low tax and low public services compared to the rest of the EU-15 but it has good protections built into it.

We're quite big on free-market economics also and public bus services needing to generate rhythmic profits despite being given a fraction of subsidies given to other transport services.

Ireland swallowed the neo-liberal pill in a big way during the late 90s. The spin and circumstances surrounding public bus services are because the government desperately wants to privatise Dublin bus, so all those fat profits can go to them and their mates. Fine Gael and Fianna Fail, who have very little representation in the city see Dublin as a big monopoly board to be divvied up and packaged off to multinationals and other interests. The culture of the city of Dublin is being ruined in favour of manipulating the property market and maximising profits.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Between the two of them, they have less than half the representation in the city, and they change seats regularly, Dublin is hardly a FF/FG heartland.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yes, fine both parties have always had a presence in Dublin. I wasn't being "disingenuous" I was being *wrong*.

My point broadly being, that if the people have an alternative to bullshit civil war politics they will vote for it, and in my opinion, more so in Dublin than in other parts of the country.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 2, 2017

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

lol Eamonn McCann beside farage

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Poor Eamonn, too beautiful for this world.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

See also nationalism: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfe_Tone

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Less a history of the british isles and more a history of England, in relation to the rest of the isles.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

kustomkarkommando posted:

Idea for campaign ad. Ideally to be broadcast during ad breaks on Sunday GAA matches:

Billy from the Shankill is interviewed directly to camera, "I've never been down south before but with the referendum it got me thinking maybe I should have a look". Series of life affirming still images of Billy enjoying the sights and sounds of Dublin. " I was surprised, everyone was so nice and their was loads to do". Close shot of Billy's face as he stands outside the GPO "I had so much I'll definitely be back..." smash cut to reveal Billy in a sash with lambeg "EVERY July"

Cut to black. VOTE NO fades in.

Love dis.

Though I was on O' Connell St during the Love Ulster March, and that was a hoot.

I think the south would vote overwhelmingly for a United Ireland. Fervent nationalism is bubbling under the surface of basically every party in the country, to the point where I think only the right wing of Fine Gael would actively be opposed to reunification.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

The direction the UUP will go will be dependant on which side of the vote they want to steal, further take some of the DUPs voters or eat into the SDLP share. If they are anything like other british establishment parties they'll skew conservative and lose out, because they aren't fire and brimstone.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I'm for voting rights for residents, not citizens abroad. Give the vote to some poor fucker in direct provision, not some other fucker who left for Australia 20 years ago with no skin in the game.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/theresa-may-i-want-ireland-and-the-uk-to-have-a-stronger-relationship-after-brexit-1.3029328

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Varadkars rhetoric comes straight from the Tory handbook. The name/shame stuff, the guff about freedom and economic opportunity and all that bollocks. It's worked for the Torys he doesnt see why it wouldn't work for him.

Its a toss up between two different flavours of neoliberal fuckhead. Traditional rural catholic. Gay urbane catholic.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Leo beating a "hard left" strawman to death on the six one last night was gas. Typical neo liberal tory horseshit.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Its Ireland, you should just be glad we are getting any kind opportunity for change in the first place. The distribution of the referenda is sensible, the cost is irrelevant. 20m is gently caress all to this government.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nilbop posted:

Why do I ever bother going to reddit for news on political issues? It’s been another day of articles on “The Irish government says THIS on topic THAT” that just turn into threads full of a bunch of Americans and English people saying that Ireland doesn’t want to be unified because of that Belfast Telegraph poll they read or that the DUP are the “new UKIP.”

Ugh, DUP are the old UKIP!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Plus he's also a bit ridey so that doesn't hurt

I'm not fibbing for even a second when I heard he has a tiny penis. Friend of a friend slept with him. Also skinny legs...

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Nov 27, 2017

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Minister for justice is such a poisoned chalice at this point that I wouldn't be surprised if they all knew this would come down the line, but hoped it wouldn't. Atleast thats what varadkars response leads me to believe.

Irelands never going to have a corbyn style mainstream labour party while people remain dismissive of the left wing partys we already have. Vote Solidarity-PBP if you want the left presence amplified.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

irlZaphod posted:

All this Brexit lark is shining a light on just how incompetent Senior figures in the Tory party really are.

And they've been running britain for 100s of years.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Leo used that campaign as the start of his leadership campaign shortly after. He's such a gargantuan oval office.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Literally the best thing that can happen in Ireland is Corbyn getting in next door.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah and? "Politicians talk at cross purposes" so what? You actually think that makes a hair of difference compared with The Tories?

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Feb 24, 2018

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah very good nice hot take. Getting skooled on Pol sci here. Great stuff. gently caress off.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

NO POPE would be great.

I do think it will be a low turn out vote, its an issue most people don't want to think about.

There's a phenomenon I've noticed in town, and that's that normal people, who look like functional members of society are walking around with yes badges on, and the kinds of person who you see on the street wearing a no badge are basically piss stained lunatics.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Yes will win, it'll be slim though. I think the No side literally don't have the kind of social presence that they had in years past. They are dying out. They are grossly over represented in the media, the why of that I'm not sure of though. Something to do with wealth, power and class.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

irlZaphod posted:

I'm hesitant to blame the Gardai. I don't think they shot to kill, they are trained to shoot at the body mass since it's the largest target. We don't really know what the situation was.

And yeah, he likely murdered someone but there's no justice in his death.

Aiming at center of mass is shoot to kill, all police forces do it because it results in fewer ricochets and poo poo. Chances are good that he shouldn't have been shot. A detective or the armed response unit are the only possible shooters so who knows what the circumstances actually were.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Drugs, sex work and the housing crisis next lads yeah?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Same, the other two are things easily co opted and monetized by the ruling class, solving the housing crisis, through social housing or even through putting more property on the market takes money out of their pockets.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Hold on a second. A DUP Teachta Dála surely they would have an aneurysm first.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Defense/Justice is also where our intel services live. Which with brexit happening is probably more important than you'd think.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

FF are more truly centrist than FG. Good to the rich and the middle classes, throw crumbs to the poor. They'll align with anyone to go into power, maybe even the DUP.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

irlZaphod posted:

Don't get me wrong, I still think FG are still all about demonising poor people and inflicting as much suffering on them as possible. They simply realised they can do that and still get people to vote for them by saying that they're in favour of LGBT rights and pro-choice.

They are just bogstandard neoliberals running another pump n' dump on the economy. Eagerly awaiting the next financial crash.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Yeah instead of nationalist fash dudes we end up with a weird revolutionary heritage crowd instead. Living close to a national monument around 2016 was eye opening. There are an awful lot of people for whom the struggle isn't over.

SF are guaranteed to flip-flop and hedge their bets on basically every issue that isn't one of their traditional tent poles. I wouldn't consider them left wing, not really. They can't be trusted to stick to their guns economically (which is the only way that matters at this point.)

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Honestly I think the realpolitik of the situation is they get into power and suddenly they have banks and other powerful interests telling them what they will and won't play along with.

i.e. You can build *some* public housing, but you better not eat the mortgage market doing it, if not we'll stop playing ball about xy or z and we'll make sure your constituents blame you. And so forth.
This might have been the case in the past for left wing parties, but at this point the economic situation has gotten so bad that things like housing and loans are out of the reach of the majority. So why listen to the banks? Governments need to go back to governing with a big G. Taking banks and other powerful private interests to task. The fear is that this sort of government will be smothered by external neoliberal forces and if it happened in Ireland, those external forces would be the EU, Troika etc. We call FG and all the rest of them bastards, but the only difference between FF/FG in power and some fictional Left wing alliance in power is that FG/FF will do the EUs bidding with a smile on their faces. I think this is why Corbyn is causing such a genuine freakout in Britain. If he gets elected he starts to rollback the free market, which due to the nature of the free market, kills speculation which in turn produces a downturn. (Obviously there are loads of other factors, but the flavour of governance that the commons has called for influences theses things.)

edit: im a brokebrain who spends too much time in CSPAM

tldr; short of a bunch of communists hanging bankers nothing changes in our politics.

Southpaugh fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 22, 2018

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

this budgets going to be a loving disgrace.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Blut posted:

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2018/10/25/leader/

Casey leading in so many online polls is really odd. I really didn't think there were so many 4chan alt-right types in Ireland.

These creeps tend to be both tech saavy and have a lot of time on their hands, I'd be surprised and annoyed if casey gets upwards of 5%.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Well, that result was a fuckin disgrace. Renua offered casey leadership. I suspect there isn't enough money in it to keep him hanging around Ireland to actually go into politics full time.

Business as usual politics until next March?

In other Fash-watch news, the Irish proud boys had their facebook page shut down. Would love to behold an Irish proud boy in the flesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Apparently there was about 100ish members of the page. Probably the majority of the extremely online right in ireland.

• Locked thread