Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have dreamed of making this thread but I'm glad to see it's an actual good poster who beat me to it :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are hardly any houses for sale in Cork where the last time I heard (Evening Echo lol) the average house in the city was €230k.
It's not London or Singapore or San Francisco. It's Cork!

Not sure what can be done about this as people will have another poo poo attack if the value of their homes plummets so I can't any remotely courageous government action on the cards.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

School Nickname posted:

OP didn't include the sordid history of Fine Gael/Fianna Fail [...]

While interesting, I'm not sure what it adds to the discussion in 2016. None of the parties hold any consistent line or ideals anymore and sway whatever way will allow them survive the next election.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Badger of Basra posted:

So does Ireland have a similar libel problem to the UK, or is it worse?

It's something that is getting more attention of late since in the last year, Ireland's richest man Dennis O'Brien is now suing/injunctioning anything that mentions him. As mentioned above, he owns a lot of the press and has always been litigious.
This article from the Irish version of Onion was a fairly big story https://m.reddit.com/r/ireland/comments/3g19eu/as_removed_from_waterford_whispers_the_denis/
While it's just another spoof news site, their beef with O'Brien is real and produces some good stuff

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Great photo

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I lasted a minute

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd say separate thread for NI as there is so much insane

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where is there a glossary for the social class part?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Some of the leaflets coming in the door are awful I mean how was that the best photo of you considering its plastered everywhere I your district ?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
You may find some fun stuff here:http://irishelectionliterature.com/2014/05/22/canvass-card-from-cormac-manning-green-party-ballincollig-carrigaline-2014-local-elections/

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kustomkarkommando posted:

The continuity IRA have claimed responsibility for the shooting at the regency over the weekend. Seems a bit out of left field that.

:pwn: that's just bizarre. My money was on some members of the travelling community as it was a boxing event but I'd never have though the IRA.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can someone who isn't a TD be Taoiseach? I'm guessing not

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Are you actually serious?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

That was a real question. Everyone just looked awkwardly at him and mumbled "ambulance" before the ads started

High point may have been when the moderators starting interrupting each other complaining that everyone was interrupting each other

It's a shame Vincent Browne wasn't there but I'd also imagine that was key to certain people showing up in the first place

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
TG4's debate has been cancelled due to Gerry Adams and Joan Burton apparently not cutting it in the Irish department.
Both suggested substitutes (Pearse Doherty and Aodhan O'Riordain) but FF said it was leaders or nothing...

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well there was supposed to be...I'm a bit surprised at Gerry actually.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Is it still/again about pay?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Irish Rail money is....a lot

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Enda has hardly bossed it so far.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
She is a terrible speaker which is a pity as she can articulate points fairly well. She just needs a permanent voice over

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boyd Barrett is getting a round of applause for everything he says now.

He seems to have won the audience at least.

Social Democrats guy has done alright as well but he is a little dry. Gerry hasn't spoken in nearly 15 minutes which is extraordinary

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The comment from Joan that he sounds a bit too much like a management consultant rings a little bit too true, the SocDems needed to stand out a bit more for a bump - beginning to think they should have sent Catherine Murphy instead

You're right. He seems to know his stuff but he isn't much of a politician which is both a good and a bad thing. I don't see leadership there unfortunately.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Serious voter that I am, I didn't notice that Cork South Central doesn't have a SocDem candidate. Feck

Somehow I don't see both Michael Martin and Michael McGrath being elected this time around

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 17, 2016

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Enda is nailed on but I'd be less confident about Martin.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
:pwn: obliterated

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Marenghi posted:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2016/watch-mary-lou-mcdonald-confronted-by-incensed-man-on-dublins-grafton-st-34468268.html

Interesting bit of news from the other day. A well dressed man who identifies as a small business owner confronted a Sinn Fein politician on the street. He said they follow a tax policy which punishes people who want to work hard and get on. He also said he was apolitical but would vote Fine Gael.

The media hasn't covered it since but he was outed on Twitter and Facebook as CEO of the Irish branch of Sarasin & Partners, a wealth management firm that manages £13.4B worldwide.

Lol I thought it was some shopkeeper

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'll be interested to see what the turnout is like. A piece in the Irish Times suggested the referendum last year had got a lot of people interested in politics who wouldn't have had an interest before.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
And a medium who will act as a satellite link for the deceased Jackie Healy-Rae

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eamon Ryan has some proper balls laying into Facebook's tax avoidance schemes while sitting in their HQ

good on him

Indeed and it reminds people of the Green Party. They are still a thing!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does anywhere liveblog these things?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Well any good will Eamon Ryan may have built up from attacking Facebook over their tax avoidance may have just evaporated after he started insisting that women where having abortions because as a culture we don't value motherhood

:stare: RIP Greens

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Many banks are doing this also. Free banking if you keep more than €2000 in your current account at all times (AIB), lodge more than €1500 a month (Ulster Bank).

It could easily cost you €100 a year just in banking fees if you don't adhere to the above.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Resurrecting cork south central chat from previous pages it's looking like 2 FF, 1 FG (Coveney not Buttimer) and 1 SF based on some recent constituency polling

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/poll-shows-big-breakthrough-for-sinn-fein-in-cork-south-central-721735.html

I haven't heard much good or bad either way about O'Laoghaire so why not. The other three have to be nailed on by now.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GimpChimp posted:

B) I know people joke about Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael being interchangeable, but I find it really hard to grasp what even the nominal distinction is between the parties as it seems nothing to do with typical European political division lines. Is there anything that would make an Irish voter choose one over the other, beyond who most recently hosed up in government

Thank you for your time and best of luck generating a tolerable electoral outcome

The OP of this thread is really well put together and covers this. It also has this which explains the voting habits of at least half the population, regardless of policies https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjl8OIZijjY

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Could have taken the job for money

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
No audience and everyone on Twitter says the stage is...creaking? Our national broadcaster....

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd view Gerry as being a tougher sell than McGuinness for president....

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's the election tomorrow....

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Teflon Taoiseach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010