Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

It's February! It's the heart of conference play, and the "quiet" before March Madness begins.

Buddy Hield and Ben Simmons faced off over the weekend and Hield probably sealed up the Wooden award.

Duke will probably fall out of the top 25, and Kentucky will probably hang on for at least another week.

And somehow Iowa is projecting as a 1 seed, despite my pleas.

Here's the AP Top 25 on 2/1

1. Oklahoma (45)
2. N. Carolina (20)
3. Villanova
4. Maryland
5. Iowa
6. Xavier
7. Kansas
8. Texas A&M
9. Virginia
10. Michigan St.
11. Providence
12. SMU
13. Iowa St.
14. West Virginia
15. Baylor
16. Oregon
17. Miami (FL)
18. Purdue
19. Louisville
20. Kentucky
21. Wichita St.
22. Indiana
23. Arizona
24. Dayton
25. South Carolina

Coaches

1. N. Carolina (18)
2. Oklahoma (14)
3. Maryland
4. Villanova
5. Xavier
6. Kansas
7. Iowa
8. Texas A&M
9. Virginia
10. Michigan St.
11. Providence
12. West Virginia
13. Baylor
14. Iowa St.
15. Miami (FL)
16. Purdue
17. Oregon
18. Louisville
19. Kentucky
20. Arizona
21. Indiana
22. Wichita St.
23. South Carolina
24. Dayton
25. St. Mary's

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
UNLV is doomed :smith:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Thread title is dope

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I put in the new rankings. ISU barely moves after beating KU and losing to A&M. ISU really needs to get a solid win away from Hilton because I think the voters don't really give any credit to wins in Hilton right now. Kentucky doesn't move after losing at KU, which makes sense. Duke is out of the top 25 for the first time in 8 years.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Get hosed Duke

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bird in a Blender posted:

I put in the new rankings. ISU barely moves after beating KU and losing to A&M. ISU really needs to get a solid win away from Hilton because I think the voters don't really give any credit to wins in Hilton right now. Kentucky doesn't move after losing at KU, which makes sense. Duke is out of the top 25 for the first time in 8 years.

Yeah, a bunch of ISU fans were saying before the game that they didn't care if we won or lost since it was a non-conference game. But I think a win would have been huge to show that the team can win away from Hilton and also could have easily been worth moving up a number, or at least in to a better region, come March.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 1, 2016

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Lessail posted:

Get hosed Duke

:agreed:

I too really wanted a win at A&M, but they really got ISU out of their game. Niang getting into foul trouble, again, and also playing a little hurt, did not help our cause either.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Who will be the next Illinois head coach?

Gregggg Marshall, Archie Miller, and Chris Mack are probably the dream candidates, but are all probably going to be too expensive and/or not willing to leave.

Just right: Bryce Drew, Valpo

Low-budget option: Brad Underwood, Stephen F. Austin

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gregg Marshall is insane and loves Wichita and has turned down a number of schools to stay there. I'm not sure I will ever understand it. I doubt Illinois is the one that finally pulls him away from that bulging Koch teet, no offense to UI.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Iowa St is a top 10 team easily. The bias in these polls is loving garbage.

I mean I know its just a stupid number, but its frustrating to see a team like NC lose the EXACT SAME TEAMS as Iowa State, not beat as high a caliber opponents, and still be ranked ahead of IA State. Its garbage and I'm mad about polls.

I mean poo poo 3 of the 5 teams ahead of Iowa State on the list that IOwa State played, they BEAT. That isn't the case with other teams, particularly Iowa.

gently caress a Hawkeye.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa has a bunch of good wins, has won almost every game in a blowout, and other than I guess maybe Dayton (which isn't a bad loss by any stretch) has lost only to good teams in very tight games. That's a really good resume. ISU does have better wins but they have worse losses. They should definitely be top 10, but it's not like they're that far out. They'll be fine and should get a high seed come tourney time.

A one point game on your home court is not nearly as definitive as y'all want it to be.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 2, 2016

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

gvibes posted:

Gregggg Marshall, Archie Miller, and Chris Mack are probably the dream candidates, but are all probably going to be too expensive and/or not willing to leave.

Bill Carmody

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

gvibes posted:

hands off archie is unlv's :negative:

edit: also ben carter is out for the rest of the year with an acl tear :negative:

Lessail fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 2, 2016

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Texas with the win over baylor bitch national champs on the road. Shaka knows how to coach em up.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

buddhanc posted:

Texas with the win over baylor bitch national champs on the road. Shaka knows how to coach em up.

Texas one of the best teams in the country, probably about top 15, Baylor is a consistent top 20-25 team. Still have no idea why Texas isn't even close to being ranked yet. Bet on them while you can.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MourningView posted:

Iowa has a bunch of good wins, has won almost every game in a blowout, and other than I guess maybe Dayton (which isn't a bad loss by any stretch) has lost only to good teams in very tight games. That's a really good resume. ISU does have better wins but they have worse losses. They should definitely be top 10, but it's not like they're that far out. They'll be fine and should get a high seed come tourney time.

A one point game on your home court is not nearly as definitive as y'all want it to be.

Still mad about basketball rankings

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

MourningView posted:

Worse losses from ISU: @#1 OU, Best Team Ever Baylor, Should be Top 15 Texas and Everyone WHo Watches BBall knows Texas owns so you are all Fake Fans if you dont, and #5 lovely Aggies (who also beat Baylor so that's how good they are, super good Baylor beaters but gently caress them)

I guess you're comparing Northern Iowa and Dayton which is the only difference.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dayton is a lot better than UNI. UNI is awful this year

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

MourningView posted:

Dayton is a lot better than UNI. UNI is awful this year

I just wanted to show off my extreme knowledge of the state of Texas basketball, where Texas is extremely underrated this year and Baylor Bitch they suck they'll lose 50 in a row now and then win 2nd in the Big 12 tourney to sneak back into a 8 seed.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

anne frank fanfic posted:

Texas one of the best teams in the country, probably about top 15, Baylor is a consistent top 20-25 team. Still have no idea why Texas isn't even close to being ranked yet. Bet on them while you can.

I'd say we're a top 25 team. I don't know about top 15. Just have to see how the rest of the conference schedule goes. So far so good though.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

anne frank fanfic posted:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Lessail posted:

edit: also ben carter is out for the rest of the year with an acl tear :negative:

I was afraid it was gonna be an ACL. That looked brutal.

Hope he has a fast recovery

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

If the rest of the favored teams win in the Big 12 this week, there will be OU at 7-2, and 5 teams tied at 6-3. Jesus.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

If the rest of the favored teams win in the Big 12 this week, there will be OU at 7-2, and 5 teams tied at 6-3. Jesus.

WVU is going to go 0-2, so

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

This chaos is all fun and good until Kansas ends up with another Big XII title.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

WVU is going to go 0-2, so

I actually didn't look at Saturday, I was really just thinking today and tomorrow's games. Saturday will change things up a little, but KU and OU play K-State and TCU, so those are likely both wins for each team. ISU goes to OSU Saturday, which they should win, but who the hell knows. After Saturday it will probably be OU on top, 4 teams tied at second, and then WVU one game behind that. Still crazy.

Edit: Kansas I think has three more losses this year. They go to Oklahoma, Texas, and Baylor, and ISU comes to Lawrence for the last game. I think they lose three of those four.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Indiana v Michigan should be interesting. Neither team has really lost to anyone they shouldn't have, but they don't really have many good wins either. I guess Notre Dame for Indiana and Maryland and maybe Texas for Michigan is it. Should learn a lot more about both teams this week.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Lessail posted:

I don't think either of us has a prayer.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I actually didn't look at Saturday, I was really just thinking today and tomorrow's games. Saturday will change things up a little, but KU and OU play K-State and TCU, so those are likely both wins for each team. ISU goes to OSU Saturday, which they should win, but who the hell knows. After Saturday it will probably be OU on top, 4 teams tied at second, and then WVU one game behind that. Still crazy.

Edit: Kansas I think has three more losses this year. They go to Oklahoma, Texas, and Baylor, and ISU comes to Lawrence for the last game. I think they lose three of those four.

The refs won't let Kansas lose because they want Kansas to win the Big 12 every year that's why they always home cook the games even though there's no such thing as Big 12 refs and it's bad for the conference.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kiimo posted:

The refs won't let Kansas lose because they want Kansas to win the Big 12 every year that's why they always home cook the games even though there's no such thing as Big 12 refs and it's bad for the conference.

Exactly.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Thoguh posted:

Exactly.

The real Hilton Magic

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We all know Hilton isn't benefitted by refs. Hilton just owns. Ku on the other hand rely on refs.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Jastiger posted:

We all know Hilton isn't benefitted by refs. Hilton just owns. Ku on the other hand rely on refs.

Can we truly claim anything in Ames owns?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

KU players get fouled more than they foul because refs like KU because KU is an inside job that faked the moon landing.

Not because KU has generally better players and defending better players requires more fouling.

Hilton gets calls and wins though because of ~~magic~~ and Hilton is a wizard Harry but Allen is a squib and therefore has to pay refs to accomplish fake magic.

:tinfoil:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
All home courts get bullshit reffing. There. I solved the mystery. Let's move on.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

All home courts get bullshit reffing. There. I solved the mystery. Let's move on.

Some get more than others, generally the really loud ones. Which ends up being a recipe for KU conspiracy theories.

And other than Iowa State throughout history and maybe Oklahoma State in the past no one else was even close, so KU didn't have memorable calls go against them as much either.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Apparently Michigan is the only team to not have a player foul out this season. This is almost certainly bad as Beilein has an unfortunate tendency to bench guys forever the minute they get 2 fouls, even if they rarely commit them normally.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Probably Magic posted:

Can we truly claim anything in Ames owns?

Battle's BBQ owns.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Apparently Michigan is the only team to not have a player foul out this season. This is almost certainly bad as Beilein has an unfortunate tendency to bench guys forever the minute they get 2 fouls, even if they rarely commit them normally.

I'm actually of the opinion that people get benched way too much when drawing early fouls. Sometimes it's good because players can just get into this weird fouling groove where they rack them up quick, but a benching is like voluntarily accepting a foul out. Saving a guy for the end of the game is useless if he could be giving you productive minutes in the middle of the game. Plus if he doesn't foul out, then you got more time out of the guy than letting him ride the bench for fear of fouling out. Unless there's data out there proving me wrong, it just seems like cliche coaching decisions to bench the guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm sure I'm wrong but I think 2 fouls in the first is too few to bench someone the whole first half and it happens all the time.

• Locked thread