Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Brad Ausmus sez: "Soon, it begins."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

According to The Internet™, the D'Backs have interest in Tyler Clippard.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

The Ham Fighters are doing their ST in Arizona, so if you are a degenerate prospect follower, brace your dick for the Shohei Otani hype

Whereabouts? I'd probably go. I'm trying to go to a bunch of Cactus League games in the valley this year; I want to check out those fancy new Cubs and D'Backs fields.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Haven't been to a Buffalo Wild Wings in years, but my brother asked me if i'd be okay with going there for dinner tonight. I said why the hell not. Got there, and Shea Hillenbrand was there selling raffle tickets for his youth baseball camp and animal charities. 10 bucks bought ten tickets, and the prize was your choice of one of a dozen throwback NFL jerseys.

Bought some tickets, and we started talking about baseball. I sat there for something like 20 minutes, and inbetween hot wings and beer, discussed things like him being on the field for Randy Johnson's perfect game, hitting against Justin Verlander, Tony Clark being one of his favorite teammates, and being given batting advice from Nomar Garciaparra.

It was a pretty rad night. I ended up winning the jersey raffle, and picked out a Jerry Rice throwback away jersey. Also got Hillenbrand's autograph on an 8 1/2 x 11 he had prepared.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

I was debating asking him to sign the autograph with THIS IS A SINKING SHIP and/or PLAY FOR YOURSELF, but he was so pleasant and friendly, I decided against it.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Clippard to D'Backs; 2 years, $12.5 million.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tigers extended JD Martinez for 2 years, $18.5 mil

Al Avila is cool.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

AJ Pollock agrees to two year, $10,250,000 deal to avoid arbitration.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Worked at BASE BALL

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Tigers have given ex-Mets reliever Bobby Parnell a minor league deal, and have invited him to Spring Training.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

That is far better quality than Allen Robinson's.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Went to the D'Backs Fan Fest at Chase Field earlier today.

Thoughts:

* The 2001 World Series Trophy is still rad as hell.

* There were quite a few people there today; they said it was their biggest crowd ever. Probably 30,000+ people there this year; maybe more.

* I dig these new alternate home/away jerseys with the grey and the red and the teal and the white.

* Tyler Clippard and Shelby Miller are cool dudes with strong handshakes and good signatures.

* I met Tony LaRussa and got his autograph, but as he was signing it, I caught a glimpse of his 2006 World Series ring and I wanted to bite him on the face right afterwards.

* Dave Stewart is pretty stingy with giving autographs. Team President and CEO Derrick Hall is not.

* All the players whose autographs I got signed theirs in silver marker, except for relief pitcher Matt Reynolds, who signed his in black marker. On a dark background. Thanks, Matt.

* They had a huge rummage sale in center field featuring used BP helmets, exploded bats taped back together, game-used balls and locker room name plates.

* The field was in terrible condition, but the grounds crew said they were going to start re-sodding it in the next week or so. I'm kinda surprised they don't keep it up during the offseason (open the roof; water and mow it, etc;etc)

* Good times had by all. Turns out that all the really top tier autograph session vouchers were sold out a week ago. (Vouchers were 5 bucks per table, per session, and all the money went to the D'Backs cancer charity). I had hoped to get the likes of Goldschmidt, Greinke, Luis Gonzalez, Mark Grace and Matt Williams, but according to the box office, those sessions were all snatched up less than 5 minutes after they went on sale. Regardless, i'll pester more players for autographs at spring training next month. Shelby Miller, Tyler Clippard, Randall Delgado, Matt Stites and Matt Reynolds was a halfway decent get for 10 bucks.

* Greinke says "Uhhhhhh" and "Ummmmm" a lot while staring at his shoes.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 21, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

I've heard Salt River is a great place to get lots of players if you are going for autographs.

Yeah; it's a really fantastic stadium. Very fan friendly. There are specific areas where they even tell people "If you're looking for an autograph during BP or before/after the game, stand over here".

I want to try and catch some games at SRF and that gigantic new Cubs stadium in Mesa next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

What were their prices like for the game-used stuff? It seems like after years of ignoring this market entirely teams started selling literally anything but for ridiculous prices (and they wonder why that game-used pitching coach jersey has sat around unsold all season).

Off the top of my head:

$40 for the batting helmets
Anywhere between $30 and $60 for the bats (bigger the name=bigger the price)
Locker name plates were $15-$20
Authenticated lineup cards were $15
Game-used balls were $20-$30 (and had labels on them showing the history of the ball)
Game-used hats were $20-$30

There was some other stuff, but that area was so busy, I never made it over to certain sections.

• Locked thread