Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is it time for BSOHL articles??

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/mariners/a-slimmer-and-healthy-james-paxton-shows-up-to-mariners-fanfest-ready-to-pitch-a-full-season/

James Paxton isn't fat anymore and says he'll pitch a full season!

quote:

The big left-hander arrived at Safeco Field on Saturday for FanFest weekend noticeably slimmer and free from the injury issues that have derailed his past two seasons.

On Thursday, Mariners’ trainer Rick Griffin mentioned that Paxton had lost 20 pounds over the offseason working out. It looked as though he may have lost more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
What do you call it when someone intentionally gains weight over the offseason instead of losing it?

The only example I can think of is Nick Franklin, who in one offseason had a 6000 calorie a day diet to bulk up from 160 to 190. He apparently asked for a bunch of Olive Garden gift cards so he could go eat the neverending pasta bowls.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Spoeank posted:

Number one with a bullet best thing about the Yankees in 2015 was Alex Rodriguez literally flipping people's opinions of him.

Arah :allears:

#forg13ve

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners are apparently answering the question of the 1st base platoon by signing Lee Dae-Ho from Korea. He spent 4 years in Japan and hit 31 dingers last season, which isn't Wlad Balentien levels, but not bad regardless.

I suppose this means the end of the Jesus Montero experiment.

edit: holy poo poo he's 6'4", 285lbs. Prince Fielder won't be the only fat dude in the AL West anymore.

2nd edit: his highlight video owns, mainly because you see a bunch of :smith: pitchers after giving up a massive home run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmOdNEaBvWM

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 3, 2016

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Normally I'm homer as all hell about the Mariners, but I don't see them breaking 80 wins this season unless a lot goes right.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
バツ

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Tell me someone got a screenshot of it because it's deleted now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
A-Rod is basically the most hated sports figure in Seattle alongside Howard Schultz and Ken Behring with the way he left.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Why are people so upset about A-Rod hitting a ball out of a glove? The play was reviewed and he was ruled out for interference. He would have been out regardless.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's funny that Mariner fans still hate A-Rod more than Griffey despite that Griffey left on arguably worse terms (demanding a trade versus leaving in FA). Griffey did make amends for the most part, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

If projections counted for anything the Mariners would have actually made the playoffs sometime in the last decade

:smith:

I need to look at historical projections. Usually I feel projections have the Mariners 2nd or 3rd and it's national beat writers that put the Mariners as a dark horse candidate to win the west and are always wrong.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
UZR also requires 3 years worth of data to be normalized, so you can have a guy who can go -10, -15, then suddenly a +25 UZR season and by golly he's an elite defender!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

It's entirely possible I'm just imagining the projection systems overrating them but it always seems like they do

Hell, this made me look up as much as I could for the Mariners:

2015:
PECOTA: 87 wins
Actual: 76 wins

2014:
PECOTA: 82 wins
Actual: 87 wins

2013:
PECOTA: 79 wins
Actual: 71 wins

2012:
PECOTA: 72 wins
Actual: 75 wins

2011:
PECOTA: 70 wins
Actual: 67 wins

and lastly:

2010:
PECOTA: 86 wins
Actual: 61 wins

Overall, yeah PECOTA tends to rank the Mariners a lot higher than they should be. 2010 is hilariously bad, though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

DrPossum posted:

i would love his hot takes on the current political situation

The most offensive thing about this picture is that facial hair, yeeessh.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pitchers and catchers are starting to report :unsmith:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/Alden_Gonzalez/status/700746538759290880/photo/1

Translation: "I'm so loving happy I don't have to deal with Mike Scioscia anymore." - Jerry Dipoto

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I want to see how they test the new caps, if they have a dummy wearing it and they use a pitching machine to launch 100mph balls at it.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Mariners just signed a Cuban center fielder named Guillermo Heredia. Cool?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Good Dog posted:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/02/predicting-tommy-john-surgeries.html

N: Analysis that is made to predict pitchers who are more at risk for Tommy John Surgeries this year.

V: There is a player less likely to tear their UCL than RA Dickey.

Having RA Dickey at the near bottom of this would actually show that this is a pretty good mathematical model. The author also addresses Dickey directly.

The Mariners only have 2 players above risk. One is Taijuan Walker, which apparently is because he throws a lot of hard pitches. Iwakuma being super low risk is surprising given his injury concerns.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I would pay a lot of money for 3 years of Joey Bats on my team.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Maybe I'm a little crazy, but I could easily see the Mariners going after Joey Bats for a short-ish term, high AAV deal next season. They'll have a COF spot to fill with Seth Smith being a FA. They probably feel confident since they've already had one late-blooming slugger continue to succeed even at Safeco.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/702567789576503299?ref_src=twsrc

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

That's... not surprising? He was dealing with abdomen injuries last year and got a sports hernia surgery in the offseason.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I don't know why but I read every Mariner beat writer's daily spring training recap despite the fact that everything is a non-story. I need real baseball bad.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Nards Pan posted:

Yeah buddy - you hungry enough you join us at the UW game one week from today? 5pm at Husky Stadium! Watch Karl Kani tear up the basepaths and drink whiskey from a flask in the frigid cold while we all pretend it's spring!

poo poo, I'm a UW grad student now, so I may as well take advantage of the student stuff even if I'm never on campus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Fangraphs cool standings are out: http://www.fangraphs.com/coolstandings.aspx

Cliffs: Cubs have the highest chance to win the WS at 18.7%. Red Sox, Indians and Astros are projected to win their divisions with the Blue Jays and Mariners (??) being the WC teams. For the NL, it's the Mets, Cubs and Dodgers with the Giants and Natinals as the WC.

• Locked thread