Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Dunban posted:

When Liverpool fired Rodgers, I'm pretty sure they were hoping that his successor would do better than him instead of worse.

Liverpool fired Rodgers when they did because Klopp was available but might not have been for much longer. Other teams (United, Chelsea) were considering sacking their managers so we made a move.

Klopp is basically given a free pass this season. We're in a cup final and still fighting for two others. We'll probably finish 5th-7th. I don't really see any of our players getting picked off by bigger clubs (particularly after the performances they've put in thus far...). If we're in the same position this time next year then yes he's probably a fraud and Liverpoo and all that jazz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Thom P. Tiers posted:

They were 9 points out of a champs league spot after that match with 16 to play. If the manager they hired wasn't a fraud and literally doing worse than Brendan Rodgers the chance was definitely still there.

Klopp took over when Liverpool were 10th and 3 points away from 4th. They are now 8th and 11 points away from 4th. I don't think that's what they had in mind when they hired Klopp.

I know it's hard to imagine, but I think Liverpool would probably be even worse off right now if Rodgers had stuck around. It was going downhill pretty quickly under Rodgers' tenure and FSG seemed gifted at finding ways to make everything worse while thinking Klopp could fix it all.

The decision to keep Rodgers on after last season was a joke unless Klopp had already been recruited. At the same time, if Klopp had been lined up, then letting Rodgers, Ayre, Gordon and the Barry Hunter spend money last summer with that kind of leadership and vision vaccuum was an idiotic decision too. It led to a bad start and made a lackluster squad even worse.

TL, DR: This season was designed to be a long Scouse Bust Fest because the club is run badly by Americans who think they're smarter than everyone else. The only wrong thing Klopp did was take the job instead of waiting for another better club to come in.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 3, 2016

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think Klopp is sentimental and wants to be a liverpool legend

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Doumbia wasn't allowed to wear 88 as his squad number

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Jose posted:

Did they tell him to choose a more believable year of birth?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jose posted:

Obertan already has 14

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Given the poo poo we've bought in the last few years I'm glad we are actually taking our time to evaluate this properly before buying. The last thing we need is to spend for the sake of spending and bring in sub par players. Lord knows we have enough of those already.

Honestly there isn't a single player in the tear at the moment that I'd she'd too many tears over if they left. Coutinho and Sturridge are the closest things we have to great and the former is wildly inconsistent and the latter is dead (or crazy). Everyone else is either serviceable or poo poo.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
You have El Choclo you ungrateful oval office.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
yes, I'm sure *next year* everything will be beter

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

oliwan posted:

yes, I'm sure *next year* everything will be beter

It's the Liverpool way.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Jose posted:

good

if you have a shirt number above 30 you drat sure better be an awkward youth-teamer who's been thrown in as a stopgap

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Liverpool and their transfer committee is probably the worst decision ever (they got rid of it. right?). That squad has zero tactical cohesion and Klopp will have to offload like 10 players. Also why haven't they recalled Lazar whatever? I thought Klopp loved fast wingers

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Send Joe Allen home.

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

Hegay posted:

Liverpool and their transfer committee is probably the worst decision ever (they got rid of it. right?). That squad has zero tactical cohesion and Klopp will have to offload like 10 players. Also why haven't they recalled Lazar whatever? I thought Klopp loved fast wingers

Remember reading that his loan contract didn't allow for a loan recall without a significant penalty.

He'll be back next year and he'll be amazing mark my words

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hegay posted:

I don't think we were able to. Also I've never seen a player with such little confidence as Markovic. He's obviously talented but seems scared to take any kind of risks. I'm hoping we see a bit more of him next season but I could honestly see him being sold if someone put in a decent bid.

I can't imagine someone with the reputation of Klopp would take a job that is probably beneath him if he didn't have a big say in transfers. Especially given the 'committee's' record. Guess we will find out in the summer. I'm optimistic things will be better but I'm under no illusions this will be a slow process.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Klopp's said he's the one making transfer decisions.

But then Brendan said the same.

I wish nobody ever loving mentioned it, it's not really any different to a number of clubs except we gave it a name.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Klopp took the job because he needed a job. That's pretty much as far as it goes.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Lol Liverpool has spent £291m in transfers the past few years?? jfc, that's the worst scouting ever

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hegay posted:

Lol Liverpool has spent £291m in transfers the past few years?? jfc, that's the worst scouting ever

Yes but Manchester United spent A QUARTER OF A BILLION POUNDS!

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Hegay posted:

Yep, horrendous stuff really.

Rafa made huge changes to the youth and scouting team and thing got a lot better but all that work has been undone sadly. They should give him a director of football role and let him run the club without having to deal with the media and players.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

julian assflange posted:

Yes but Manchester United spent A QUARTER OF A BILLION POUNDS!

And that's just on Januzaj's wages!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
He makes me mad in the same way Nani did

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

julian assflange posted:

He makes me mad in the same way Nani did

Nani actually did stuff sometimes. Januzaj is the biggest myth ever. He'll end up at Stoke or Newcastle next season before going back to Belgium.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Hegay posted:

The ridiculous player turnover is part of the reason Liverpool are so gash. It's hilarious OP, and what's even better is that the fans want more of the same. Truly a great time to be alive.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
And yet Martin Skrtel has been there for about 10 years

Maybe when they finally give him the boot they'll start winning stuff like Perea at Atletico Madrid

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
"Major" Lazar Markovic did not get recalled because the loan deal between Fenerbahce and Liverpool did not allow for it. Fener are too big of a club to put up with poo poo like recall options.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Redundant posted:

The ridiculous player turnover is part of the reason Liverpool are so gash. It's hilarious OP, and what's even better is that the fans want more of the same. Truly a great time to be alive.

Actually most of us in here were pretty happy we weren't spending money this window.

The squad is the worst it's been since it got Hodgson'ed (even then we still had some world class players though) so an overhaul is needed but it needs to be done with an actual plan. Not a plan that involves Downing and Adam hitting long balls to Andy Carroll though.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ewar Woowar posted:

Actually most of us in here were pretty happy we weren't spending money this window.

The squad is the worst it's been since it got Hodgson'ed (even then we still had some world class players though) so an overhaul is needed but it needs to be done with an actual plan. Not a plan that involves Downing and Adam hitting long balls to Andy Carroll though.

Man, I yearn for the days of Jay Spearing, Joe Cole, Paul Konchesky, and Christian Poulsen...

We might just be using different terminology, but I don't think the squad is as bad as you say it is. It's just horribly imbalanced. There are no defensive-minded midfielders besides Lucas and no actual wingers. Fullback cover is almost non-existent. There are way too many No. 10-style players who have to get shoehorned into roles they aren't great at and too many box-to-box runners full of industry (but not creativity or goals). That being said, there's a lot of technical skill in the side and many players are young enough that they will improve and become more consistent.

I wonder how much of this imbalance comes from Liverpool trying to use stat-heavy Billy Beane bullshit. Relying too much on numbers without a critical eye is what makes target man strikers like Carroll look so attractive and why Liverpool continually keep trying to find one who works with the rest of Liverpool's team without success. I suspect other positions like holding midfielders or deeper-lying playmakers probably don't get to goose their stats in the same way, which is why the the Committee don't get excited about them and don't address those squad gaps.

Rodgers didn't help things by having an atrocious eye for talent himself, but his failures have been pretty well discussed at this point.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Brony Car posted:

Man, I yearn for the days of Jay Spearing, Joe Cole, Paul Konchesky, and Christian Poulsen...

We might just be using different terminology, but I don't think the squad is as bad as you say it is. It's just horribly imbalanced. There are no defensive-minded midfielders besides Lucas and no actual wingers. Fullback cover is almost non-existent. There are way too many No. 10-style players who have to get shoehorned into roles they aren't great at and too many box-to-box runners full of industry (but not creativity or goals). That being said, there's a lot of technical skill in the side and many players are young enough that they will improve and become more consistent.

I wonder how much of this imbalance comes from Liverpool trying to use stat-heavy Billy Beane bullshit. Relying too much on numbers without a critical eye is what makes target man strikers like Carroll look so attractive and why Liverpool continually keep trying to find one who works with the rest of Liverpool's team without success. I suspect other positions like holding midfielders or deeper-lying playmakers probably don't get to goose their stats in the same way, which is why the the Committee don't get excited about them and don't address those squad gaps.

Rodgers didn't help things by having an atrocious eye for talent himself, but his failures have been pretty well discussed at this point.

As far as a squad goes I actually think it's okay. Lots of 7/10 players that can do serviceable jobs but there is a distinct lack of tip tier talent that we can base a side around. Under Rafa we had Carra, Gerrard, Alonso, Masch, Torres and Pepe; under Kenny we still had some of those players as we did with Hodgson, when Rodgers took over we still had a performing Gerrard, a fit Daniel Sturridge and quite possibly the best player Liverpool has ever had in Suarez. Who do we have now? Coutinho hasn't improved since he's joined imo (although he's still very good), Henderson looks to have plateued, Sturridge is probably not top far off retiring given his problems...

Our scouting department needs a huge overhaul as we continually are buying the wrong players for the type of football we play. Benteke is a classic example; he's a good player but is so incompatible with how we play that he looks like an amatuer out there.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
lmao at all of the scouse meltdowns in this thread

You support a third rate club that dreams of past glory and imo it's hilarious

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Blinkz0rz posted:

Lol don't you worry, your time will come once United come and steal all your players (and possibly manager) and you return to being a joke of a club that will forever been in your greatest rivals shadow.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Blinkz0rz posted:

They've won a trophy more recently than your lot tbf.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ewar Woowar posted:

Lol don't you worry, your time will come once United come and steal all your players (and possibly manager) and you return to being a joke of a club that will forever been in your greatest rivals shadow.

but enough about everton!!!

8raz
Jun 22, 2007

He's Scouse, He's Sound.
i'd be mad at liverpool as well if i started supporting spurs when they were meant to be on the "up"

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Aguero is basically a slightly worse version of Messi, right?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I love you Josh Lyman

Aguero is a slightly worse version of Jamie Vardy.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Josh Lyman posted:

Aguero is basically a slightly worse version of Messi, right?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Gigi rename the forum:

The Vardy Party - chat poo poo get banged

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Gigi rename the forum:

The Vardy Party - chat poo poo get banged
I can get behind this