Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On a different note, I'm at MAGfest and I realize I mentioned it on the absentee thread but not here. Figured I'd see if there are any TG goons looking to meet up, since the TG scene here is a little more robust that I expected.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier! The tabletop space has gotten pretty big over the past few years; looks like there's a lot of pathfinder play, too, if you're into that. Sadly, the copy of Ogre at the board game lending room was missing this year. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So I haven't been working on my homebrew/D&D clone much, basically due to being busy with real-life stuff, but I think it's kinda at the point where I just need to playtest the drat thing and then bugfix/patch/etc. because I'm bored with theorycrafting up poo poo for it and then not following through with any changes.

Anywho, I was hoping I could get some advice/suggestions for published adventures to convert over and use to run a PbP, so any tips would be much appreciated. :)

PMs work, and also the discussion thread for "The Next Project" is here. (System docs are in the OP)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You know how we sometimes talk about D&D movies and what level of metajokes about saving throws and rules and poo poo they should have? Well I watched Deadpool this weekend. Do it like that. Done. Rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Oh don't worry. Now that a movie with self-aware fourth wall breaking has succeeded at the box office, we're going to be drowning in movies that are trying to cash in on those ideas without any real understanding on why it worked for the next year or so.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't think a Deadpool-type approach for D&D would really work- playing to the D&D nerds isn't really the same as actually engaging with the aspects of D&D that make it unique.

I think using a gaming group as a Princess Bride-esque framing device for a relatively straight fantasy story would probably be the way to go; you could mine a lot of comedy from the contrast between the ultra-badass PCs and the goonlords actually sitting at the table playing them.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

You know how we sometimes talk about D&D movies and what level of metajokes about saving throws and rules and poo poo they should have? Well I watched Deadpool this weekend. Do it like that. Done. Rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I think using a gaming group as a Princess Bride-esque framing device for a relatively straight fantasy story would probably be the way to go; you could mine a lot of comedy from the contrast between the ultra-badass PCs and the goonlords actually sitting at the table playing them.
That's the idea behind Zombie Orpheus' "Gamers" series of movies. They alternate between the players at the table and their characters in the game world.

I enjoy them, but the thing is that style of joke is pretty predicated on the viewer knowing how D&D works to begin with. It's very much laugh-with rather than laugh-at, but a mainstream D&D movie in that style would more than likely be laugh-at.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Just hire John Rogers, do live action Fell's Five.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's the idea behind Zombie Orpheus' "Gamers" series of movies. They alternate between the players at the table and their characters in the game world.

I enjoy them, but the thing is that style of joke is pretty predicated on the viewer knowing how D&D works to begin with. It's very much laugh-with rather than laugh-at, but a mainstream D&D movie in that style would more than likely be laugh-at.

And that's where the Deadpool similarities actually come in: you have to respect the hobby a little bit to make it work, like the Gamers movies do. It can't be a group of Cat Piss Men, it has to be a group of everymen that skew goony; I'm more picturing actors like Seth Rogen, Michael Cera, Ellen Page, etc. as the players, whereas people like Scott Adkins, Kellan Lutz, Gina Carano, etc would play the actual PCs in the fantasy narrative.

e: And I mean, Deadpool got over fine with mainstream audiences despite playing to the comics nerds hard at times. You can have some faith in your audience to be passingly familiar with D&D and what the basic gist is; nerd stuff has invaded regular culture pretty thoroughly by now.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Feb 24, 2016

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Seth Rogen, Michael Cera

But I hate those guys!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

fool_of_sound posted:

But I hate those guys!

Any actor who's generally likable but can handle "nerdy" roles would be a good fit, those three were just the first that came to mind. The trick is to find the sweet spot between "believable D&D player" and "person the audience actually wants to see on screen."

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Sorry Butt Lord, if the likes of Gamers and Zero Charisma are any proof, that idea should be put to death. Never again!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

But I hate those guys!

Dude imagine Seth Rogen rolling out a big blunt and playing videogames while eating doritos. He's so loving funny and relatable.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Dude imagine Seth Rogen rolling out a big blunt and playing videogames while eating doritos. He's so loving funny and relatable.

Imagine me eating a giant bowl of broken glass and then eating the bowl itself

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Lightning Lord posted:

Imagine me eating a giant bowl of broken glass and then eating the bowl itself
I can't, I don't know what you look like.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*le me whilst watching the latest Hollywood flick with epic tabletop gamer injokes which also has some drat nice social commentary and criticizes the poo poo out of the cat pissers* drat this is so funny. Ba! Ha! Ha! Oh that Seth Rogen, he's soooo fat and jolly and beardy and likes to smoke marijuano. Ba! Ha! Ha! Anyway, pass me some more of the fluoride water please.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I honestly wouldn't see much mileage in a movie trying to communicate the "RPG Experience". A TV show might be able to do it properly since there's time to ease the audience into the ideas and concepts, but in general roleplaying is just too esoteric for a general audience and tabletop gamers are too small an audience to target a movie at. I would much rather have a solid, well-done fantasy movie which doesn't require any buy-in or knowledge of D&D than a cheesy in-and-out-of-character flick.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Funny actors role playing as a show? Isn't that... long form improv???

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

LeSquide posted:

Sorry I didn't see this earlier! The tabletop space has gotten pretty big over the past few years; looks like there's a lot of pathfinder play, too, if you're into that. Sadly, the copy of Ogre at the board game lending room was missing this year. :(

I'm not!... which is why I initially ignored it for like, the first two days. I'll have to bring a game or two next time. (Not Ogre. Ogre is heavy.)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://collider.com/dungeons-and-dragons-movie-story/

quote:

This new Dungeons & Dragons will be a Guardians of the Galaxy-tone movie in a Tolkien-like universe. Because when you think of all the Hobbit movies and The Lord of the Rings, they have an earnestness to them, and to see something fun, a Raiders romp inside that world, I feel is something the audience has not seen before.

quote:

I think it will really be moving forward quickly, and I don’t anticipate it not getting greenlit this year, mostly because Warner Bros. has DC now, and LEGO, and the Harry Potter universe that’s being cultivated as their franchises. I believe they see Dungeons & Dragons as something that could be cultivated as a multi-universe movie where there will be spinoffs from the first movie being in Forgotten Realms and subsequent movies being in different worlds.

quote:

Lee also revealed that the movie will take place entirely in the realm rather than having people transported from our world into the realm. He also said that the Yawning Portal will feature prominently and “it’s going to be one of people’s favorite set pieces.”

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

That certainly doesn't sound awful. But given the track record of D&D movies I'll reserve any excitement.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
With special guest star, Vin Diesel as Drizzt!
They're more or less riding the coattails of the warcraft movie, huh?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

the Yawning Portal is my mouth when I'm in the audience

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ominous Jazz posted:

With special guest star, Vin Diesel as Drizzt!
They're more or less riding the coattails of the warcraft movie, huh?

If it comes out before WoW that pretty much is going to seal it as the Olympus Has Fallen to Blizzard's White House Down.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
They really shouldn't be using Forgotten Realms as the setting for this, it's the single most boring D&D setting(well at least the main portion of it is), Greyhawk or Mystara would make better choices

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Forgotten Realms is "the" D&D setting and the only setting with any kind of support or cross-platform tie-ins as of 5e.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Cloud Atlas but with dnd settings.
I just want dark sun :black101:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Ominous Jazz posted:

Cloud Atlas but with dnd settings.
I just want dark sun :black101:

Dark Sun with Vin diesel, The Rock, Tywin Lanninster with Aria and Peter Dinklage as Ringing Mountain halfings.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

drrockso20 posted:

They really shouldn't be using Forgotten Realms as the setting for this, it's the single most boring D&D setting(well at least the main portion of it is), Greyhawk or Mystara would make better choices

How's that? Superficially they're all nearly identical quasi-medieval fantasy worlds and a movie is only going to have the time to cover things superficially. No one's going to the Temple of the Frog or anything. Largely it's just going to determine if someone shouts "By Lathander!" instead of "By Pelor!".

Helical Nightmares posted:

Dark Sun with Vin diesel, The Rock, Tywin Lanninster with Aria and Peter Dinklage as Ringing Mountain halfings.

Well, needless to say, gently caress Yeah.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

the Yawning Portal is my mouth when I'm in the audience

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

oriongates posted:

How's that? Superficially they're all nearly identical quasi-medieval fantasy worlds and a movie is only going to have the time to cover things superficially. No one's going to the Temple of the Frog or anything. Largely it's just going to determine if someone shouts "By Lathander!" instead of "By Pelor!".

As I pointed out in the TG Industry thread, Mystara means there's a chance of tigermen samurai who live on the invisible moon and ride flying sabretooths being involved. Or elf gauchos.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Feb 24, 2016

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Mecha Gojira posted:

Forgotten Realms is "the" D&D setting and the only setting with any kind of support or cross-platform tie-ins as of 5e.

Which is a huge mistake on WOTC side of things(I've never understood how the Realms have any popularity at all, it's completely bland, and so bloated with ultra powerful NPCS that it just seems like a pain in the rear end to have any meaningful adventures, especially if you're starting from a low level)

oriongates posted:

Well, needless to say, gently caress Yeah.

Not really, both Greyhawk and Mystara have a lot that's unique to them, while I can't think of anything unique to the main region of the Realms, it's the single most white bread fantasy setting I can think of that's not a parody or satire(and even those tend to stand out more)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Is Forgotten Realms the one with dozens of gods?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

Is Forgotten Realms the one with dozens of gods?

Every D&D setting but Dark Sun has dozens of gods. Forgotten Realms is known for meddling gods though, and the Avatar Crisis where they fell from the Heavens and proceeded to punch each other out as part of the transition from 1e rules to 2e (because that is necessary)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Forgotten realms, more to the point, is the one with more than one NYT Bestseller in the novel line, which is probably why they're pinning their hopes on it for name recognition.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
An Eberron D&D movie would be pretty sweet, if only for

1. Medieval noir warforged private investigator having sweet fistfights on top of a lightning train
2. D&D nerds literally turning themselves inside out in rag at the most mainstream presentation of D&D being Eberron

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

MikeCrotch posted:

An Eberron D&D movie would be pretty sweet, if only for

1. Medieval noir warforged private investigator having sweet fistfights on top of a lightning train
2. D&D nerds literally turning themselves inside out in rag at the most mainstream presentation of D&D being Eberron

:agreed:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

MikeCrotch posted:

2. D&D nerds literally turning themselves inside out in rag at the most mainstream presentation of D&D being Eberron Points of Light

Fixed for more nerdrage :colbert:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

We'll never get a Dark Sun movie anyway so it's silly talking about it and if we did, it would suck so goddamn bad and ruin the setting

Dark Sun rules so much though :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Mad Max: Dark Sun

• Locked thread