Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

vulturesrow posted:

Any idea about how much I'd be able to sell these for?

Just go to the Auction House and sell them for 1p less than the cheapest ones listed. Without looking I think going price is around 170 ish?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!

goldjas posted:

I will say it's kind of unclear to me what I'm supposed to do with gold besides buy stuff on the AH, I've read that you can apparently open chests and craft stuff with it but I have no idea how, maybe I need to get farther along before any of that opens up though.

Gold is used for rolling chests (very questionable value), buying stardust (not a good use of gold), various PvE stuff like fortunes and resetting character talents (waste of gold), and buying stuff on the AH (probably what you should do with it).

The best use of gold was when they had PvP alternate art commons in the store for 25k gold per piece. You could a bunch of those and then sell them on the AH for a lot of plat (more than 500 plat at the peak). If they ever bring those back, buy as many of them as you can because it's a great way to convert gold to plat.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Having a lot of trouble with the sea hag as elf, i just have no removeable for the 4 / 2 reduce my guys by 1 / 0 when they attack reaver hags :(

Captain Farce
Jun 24, 2004
i think NOT!
Elf is Green/Red isn't it? Pack your deck up with Burn/Crackling Bolt(or Sprout)/Survival of the Fittest/Wild Growth etc.

Shouldn't be too hard to knock out x/2s with that colour combo :)

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Not sure i have those cards but I will try to look for them.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

some of the fights were annoying when I tried to keep in the spirit of the character and use a bunnies only deck with nothing but bunnies and pump spells and such. Once I gave up on the idea of immersion with the character and just made a deck full of good stuff that wasn't even thematically related just to get around some of the power curve these enemies had.

Still can't beat the pirhanas. No idea what I'm supposed to do about a dude that gets 9 2/1 dudes with rage by the second turn other than come back when my character has enough levels to bump starting health up to 50+.

TBH, I'm a little disappointed the PVE portion doesn't reward more PVE-only cards and more frequently so that you can play the PVE side of the game better as you play it. Like, I'd prefer less randomly seeded 5 card packs and more "immersive" class/race centric cards being funneled your way. And maybe more packs in general.

It's a good start, maybe in a year it'll be where it needs to be and hopefully it's not too late.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
To beat the piranhas I just abused the crap out of sorrows and 1/3s. If you start on the play you can play a 1/3 on turn 2 and a sorrow on turn 3 without having life total problems and then you've largely blunted the AI's offense. I was also a cleric so I got to use the steadfast artifact, which was a godsend to let me actually attack that thing.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Telex posted:

TBH, I'm a little disappointed the PVE portion doesn't reward more PVE-only cards and more frequently so that you can play the PVE side of the game better as you play it. Like, I'd prefer less randomly seeded 5 card packs and more "immersive" class/race centric cards being funneled your way. And maybe more packs in general.

It's a good start, maybe in a year it'll be where it needs to be and hopefully it's not too late.

I really enjoy the PvE aspect, but I too wish they would reward with a wider variety of (Pve-only if needed) cards. Most of the netdecks for the PvE campaign have so many cards I don't have, and can't get through PvE. I guess I should spend more time in the AH (which I absolutely detest). Wish there was a way to buy boosters with gold like HS.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dackel posted:

I really enjoy the PvE aspect, but I too wish they would reward with a wider variety of (Pve-only if needed) cards. Most of the netdecks for the PvE campaign have so many cards I don't have, and can't get through PvE. I guess I should spend more time in the AH (which I absolutely detest). Wish there was a way to buy boosters with gold like HS.

You can buy boosters with gold, search the auction house under packs with the currency filter set to gold.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

You can buy boosters with gold, search the auction house under packs with the currency filter set to gold.

One booster is 17,000+ gold.

You get MAYBE 10,000 from the campaign.

come the gently caress on.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Telex posted:

One booster is 17,000+ gold.

You get MAYBE 10,000 from the campaign.

come the gently caress on.

I'm just pointing out the ability to do so is there. With a not terrible deck, if you do a bridge run which takes less than 45-55 minutes as long as you have no major hiccups, you end up with 9 adventure packs and enough gold to buy another adventure pack, that's way more than you are going to get from Hearthstone in that amount of time.

You could probably sell those adventure packs for 2k gold each and buy a real booster. So come the gently caress on.

Edit: It took less than 30 minutes to sell four AV1 packs for 2k gold each. I probably should have been doing this all along instead of selling them for plat, going to need gold to spin chests when set 4 hits.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 8, 2016

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Also, I'm not sure what the exact Expected Value of a booster is in Hex, but in Magic it's a pretty terrible idea to just buy and open boosters if you're after specific sorts of cards to improve your deck and I would tend to assume the same is true here. The calculus is probably friendlier to opening boosters if you have no collection whatsoever and need a massive infusion of commons, but still.

e: for people who have played both Hearthstone and Hex, how do they compare re: the potential frustration of having to grind up from nothing using PvE?

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 8, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

JerryLee posted:

Also, I'm not sure what the exact Expected Value of a booster is in Hex, but in Magic it's a pretty terrible idea to just buy and open boosters if you're after specific sorts of cards to improve your deck and I would tend to assume the same is true here. The calculus is probably friendlier to opening boosters if you have no collection whatsoever and need a massive infusion of commons, but still.

You can figure out a rough expected value using the info on Hexprice, for example the average median value of a set 2 pack is 179.43 plat and that's more than they are selling for. There's other things to consider though like the time it takes to sell those things and you aren't actually going to get 3p for each common, but it's probably not bad if you have almost no cards other than the 200 you start with. I still wouldn't personally recommend cracking boosters, especially since the newer players seem to be intimidated by the auction house. Would be best to just buy what you are looking for.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

I'm just pointing out the ability to do so is there. With a not terrible deck, if you do a bridge run which takes less than 45-55 minutes as long as you have no major hiccups, you end up with 9 adventure packs and enough gold to buy another adventure pack, that's way more than you are going to get from Hearthstone in that amount of time.

You could probably sell those adventure packs for 2k gold each and buy a real booster. So come the gently caress on.

Edit: It took less than 30 minutes to sell four AV1 packs for 2k gold each. I probably should have been doing this all along instead of selling them for plat, going to need gold to spin chests when set 4 hits.

So you're selling off 45 cards to buy 15?

What kind of fuckin retard math is that?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Telex posted:

So you're selling off 45 cards to buy 15?

What kind of fuckin retard math is that?

There's only one thing retarded here. I'm just trying to help out, if you can't figure it out or ask questions without being civil then whatever.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So anyways, the latest installment of my unsolicited advice for people is this: Revert is the MVP of the PvE campaign. A lot of the AI decks are set up to prioritize buffing their troops into something annoying, or debuffing your troops into something useless, and revert deals with both scenarios. Hard removal usually does the trick for dealing with opposing troops, so long as they aren't invincible or spellshielded, but some shards are lacking in that, and it doesn't do anything to help your troops if they get debuffed.

I think the hag fight is also a hint from the developers on that front, as they set up a scenario where using revert is mandatory if you want to complete the bonus objective and get the prize card.

Valatar fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 8, 2016

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

There's only one thing retarded here. I'm just trying to help out, if you can't figure it out or ask questions without being civil then whatever.

Okay then, please tell me how your strategy of selling 45 cards worth of packs to buy a 15 card pack is a solid value strategy for the new player that has a need for cards.

your condescending post about how easy it is to flush away money pissed me off because it's Very Bad Advice for new people.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

I agree that it's really odd, all else equal, to advise selling all your pve packs just to buy a pvp pack, but maybe say so in so many words rather that just starting in calling people retards

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

There's 29 different Adventure Zone specific cards in adventure zone packs, there are several hundred different cards in set 1-2-3. At some point, I'm guessing between 50-100 adventure packs it's not really worth it to keep opening them.

On top of that, you aren't going to get Vampire Kings inside adventure packs. Selling 45 cards for 15 cards makes no difference at all when the cost of 9 adventure packs is the same as 1 booster.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 8, 2016

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

JerryLee posted:

I agree that it's really odd, all else equal, to advise selling all your pve packs just to buy a pvp pack, but maybe say so in so many words rather that just starting in calling people retards

I'm all for discussion of different ideas and disagreement, but if we can not personally attack each other, that would be pretty cool.

Especially not calling people retarded, seeing as that's kind of a Not a Cool Thing To Do anymore.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

All else is not equal. PvP cards are more valuable on a card by card basis than the PvE cards, by far. Eventually the market for the cards in the adventure packs will be totally saturated and the prices will tank. And you're trading something that you're getting for free on the side for playing for something that can only be had for real cashola. katkillad2 is giving good advice.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Telex posted:

some of the fights were annoying when I tried to keep in the spirit of the character and use a bunnies only deck with nothing but bunnies and pump spells and such. Once I gave up on the idea of immersion with the character and just made a deck full of good stuff that wasn't even thematically related just to get around some of the power curve these enemies had.

Still can't beat the pirhanas. No idea what I'm supposed to do about a dude that gets 9 2/1 dudes with rage by the second turn other than come back when my character has enough levels to bump starting health up to 50+.

The campaign doesn't reward just PvE cards because the PvP cards it does reward are basic staple commons that they didn't need to reprint in PvE form. You get 3-4 cards per every other fight or so on average in the campaign. You're not supposed to be able to clear the Piranhas when you first encounter them with a newbie deck. It's intended as a challenge for you to come back to later once you've gotten more cards and a better grasp on the game and what your deck is capable of. They don't focus on race/class centric packs because not everyone wants to play tribal, there isn't that much tribal support to start with, and only giving cards which fit a single theme both accelerates that theme too quickly and makes it so you aren't as tempted to play other themed decks. It also takes more development time.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Valatar posted:

All else is not equal. PvP cards are more valuable on a card by card basis than the PvE cards, by far. Eventually the market for the cards in the adventure packs will be totally saturated and the prices will tank. And you're trading something that you're getting for free on the side for playing for something that can only be had for real cashola. katkillad2 is giving good advice.

You seem to be assuming that whatever you get out of the PvP pack will definitely be more valuable than the gold you spent to buy it, which isn't a sure thing at all given the fact that things like vampire kings, angels, etc. are relatively rare and a lot of packs will just have jank.

Keep in mind also that, unless I've missed a shift in the conversation, the question we're asking is not "what's the best way to get into #hexfinance" but "what is the best way for a brand-new PvE player to get their struggling PvE deck off the ground?" and it may be absolutely true that trading 45 random cards into 15 random cards is not the answer, at least if we assume you can't rely on winning the lottery.

If anything, I'd be more likely to recommend selling the pve packs for 20,000 gold, or whatever it was that you could get for all of them, but then buying cheap singles rather than one Shards pack or whatever.

Zurai posted:

The campaign doesn't reward just PvE cards because the PvP cards it does reward are basic staple commons that they didn't need to reprint in PvE form. You get 3-4 cards per every other fight or so on average in the campaign. You're not supposed to be able to clear the Piranhas when you first encounter them with a newbie deck. It's intended as a challenge for you to come back to later once you've gotten more cards and a better grasp on the game and what your deck is capable of. They don't focus on race/class centric packs because not everyone wants to play tribal, there isn't that much tribal support to start with, and only giving cards which fit a single theme both accelerates that theme too quickly and makes it so you aren't as tempted to play other themed decks. It also takes more development time.

I would love to have at least had the option of picking a "Coyotle pack" every time so I didn't have the completely unhelpful outcome of getting blood orc cards and equipment while playing through the campaign (for example), but at the same time it's not something that really chaps my rear end, it's just "meh, this could be better implemented."

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

JerryLee posted:

I would love to have at least had the option of picking a "Coyotle pack" every time so I didn't have the completely unhelpful outcome of getting blood orc cards and equipment while playing through the campaign (for example), but at the same time it's not something that really chaps my rear end, it's just "meh, this could be better implemented."

Yes, and I would love to have the option of picking an "Angel of Dawn pack" too. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. Again, race/class specific packs require a lot more designer time, probably would have required more actual cards in the pool, and have the problem of promoting too much linear play. They want to encourage you to make multiple champions to play multiple decks, the entire campaign is set up to encourage playing through it with multiple different characters.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Zurai posted:

Yes, and I would love to have the option of picking an "Angel of Dawn pack" too.

Jesus, dude, I know I've made a few iffy comparisons in my time, but in what way is this a logical or helpful comparison to make?

"It would be nice if my rewards in the PvE campaign weren't effectively useless for the character I am playing at the time"

"Yeah, well, why don't you just ask for free copies of one of the game's most busted legendaries, while you're at it"

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

JerryLee posted:

Jesus, dude, I know I've made a few iffy comparisons in my time, but in what way is this a logical or helpful comparison to make?

"It would be nice if my rewards in the PvE campaign weren't effectively useless for the character I am playing at the time"

"Yeah, well, why don't you just ask for free copies of one of the game's most busted legendaries, while you're at it"

You're allowed to play more than one character.

One of the best ways to encourage you to play another character is to give you class for someone else.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
With all this talk about the starting decks I thought it couldn't hurt to put together a list of them; http://imgur.com/a/facSm (I'll put up HexTCG Browser links later)

At first I thought it would be different between Class' but it seems like only Race that determines your starting cards - you still have all these cards, you just might be blocked off from using some because of shard alignment / level restrictions

So other than adding some removal what suggestions might you give to a new player on improving these (maybe without calling each-other retarded or getting snippy ;))? I'm least happy with the Necrotic deck, think you could scrap most of it and throw in some Deadeye Slicers, Ethereal Callers to get some use back out of the Shifting troops, another Spiritbound Spy, Giant Corpse Fly is always good, also I'm pretty fond of the equipment for Fertile Engorgers that gives you a bunch of little Killblades

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I'm actually wondering if playing through that starting castle area with every race is a decent way to just get something resembling a set of cards to play with in the PvE, my Necro is completely stonewalled by the Hag and my Dwarf by the Ambling whatever, and I don't really have any of the cards I'm apparently supposed to have (revert?) to deal with any of it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

goldjas posted:

I'm actually wondering if playing through that starting castle area with every race is a decent way to just get something resembling a set of cards to play with in the PvE, my Necro is completely stonewalled by the Hag and my Dwarf by the Ambling whatever, and I don't really have any of the cards I'm apparently supposed to have (revert?) to deal with any of it.

Play every race (doesn't matter what class) 3 times (AFAIK in PvE the max limit for multiple cards can be 3) and do the starter castle, bridge 1, bridge 2 and handing in the quest in the first "city". This should give you all the race exclusive cards. Depending on how much fun you can have rerolling, it might be worth to do some more quests for extra adventure packs or dungeons for a guaranteed one-time extra dungeon pack for handing in the quest for it.

You can find out what those race exclusives are and what's in all the packs with this link

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde

Valatar posted:

So anyways, the latest installment of my unsolicited advice for people is this: Revert is the MVP of the PvE campaign. A lot of the AI decks are set up to prioritize buffing their troops into something annoying, or debuffing your troops into something useless, and revert deals with both scenarios. Hard removal usually does the trick for dealing with opposing troops, so long as they aren't invincible or spellshielded, but some shards are lacking in that, and it doesn't do anything to help your troops if they get debuffed.

I think the hag fight is also a hint from the developers on that front, as they set up a scenario where using revert is mandatory if you want to complete the bonus objective and get the prize card.

The first time I beat the Hag (last night), I was wondering why there was no bonus. Thought it might involve the above spoiler, it did! I like the extra unmentioned goal (as opposed to "just win" as an objective).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Grim posted:

With all this talk about the starting decks I thought it couldn't hurt to put together a list of them; http://imgur.com/a/facSm (I'll put up HexTCG Browser links later)

At first I thought it would be different between Class' but it seems like only Race that determines your starting cards - you still have all these cards, you just might be blocked off from using some because of shard alignment / level restrictions

So other than adding some removal what suggestions might you give to a new player on improving these (maybe without calling each-other retarded or getting snippy ;))? I'm least happy with the Necrotic deck, think you could scrap most of it and throw in some Deadeye Slicers, Ethereal Callers to get some use back out of the Shifting troops, another Spiritbound Spy, Giant Corpse Fly is always good, also I'm pretty fond of the equipment for Fertile Engorgers that gives you a bunch of little Killblades

They all have some pretty bad vanilla troops (frigid bison, molten slaggard etc) so I think the first goal should be replacing those with just about any troop that actually does something. Although the slaggards are practically the dwarf deck's win condition...

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

That dryad can go die in a fire. Seed pods man, seed pods.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 9, 2016

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Anyone who uses diamond should probably look into Reversion and its equipment for the campaign.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I've got 62 reversions, anyone who is new and needs them send an in game mail to Katkilla and I will send you some. Lucky first 6 people get equipment with it as well.

Edit: Tell me what color shards you are in and I'll probably throw in some extra stuff.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 9, 2016

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Oh snap, didn't even know Reverting was a thing. So it basically turns the card back into what's normally on the card without any effects?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

nightwisher posted:

Oh snap, didn't even know Reverting was a thing. So it basically turns the card back into what's normally on the card without any effects?

Yes, so you could turn that Vine Goliath back into a seed pod, or if your opponent cast a negative effect on one of your troops you can revert it back to normal.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

katkillad2 posted:

Yes, so you could turn that Vine Goliath back into a seed pod, or if your opponent cast a negative effect on one of your troops you can revert it back to normal.

Oh snap, good to know.

Unrelated but am I misunderstanding how Starshield works? It says the "next time this troop is dealt damage, prevent it" and I cast it on my chump who's blocking a single troop with more power than my troop's toughness, and my chump still dies after the combat step. Does it work differently than in MTG?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

nightwisher posted:

Oh snap, good to know.

Unrelated but am I misunderstanding how Starshield works? It says the "next time this troop is dealt damage, prevent it" and I cast it on my chump who's blocking a single troop with more power than my troop's toughness, and my chump still dies after the combat step. Does it work differently than in MTG?

It works how you think it should work, but unfortunately with the latest patch that card and a few others with prevent damage are bugged.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

There's another use of reversion that most people aren't familiar with - damage in this game is an effect that temporarily alters the card's stats, if you Revert a damaged troop it will also heal back any damage it has taken so far this turn. Usually not helpful, especially against the AI, but on rare occasions (eg. getting blocked by two troops, one with swiftstrike and one without) it can save one of your guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Goddamn I love my Tiaanost! Made the Wormoid Queen a complete walk in the park with my Coyotl Cleric White/Green deck, I voided 2/3rds of it's deck in 3 turns, it had literally nothing left to throw at me.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 9, 2016

• Locked thread