Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
hey so we have a shitload of SA smilies. the vast majority of them are cool and interesting, but what is not always clear are the stories behind them.

for a non-obscure example, take :bernget:, for instance. i know it's bernman sanders catching a chicken, but what does the chicken mean? is this based off of another smilie? :henget: is the likely origin, but I don't know what that signifies either

here's some obscure ones that make no sense to me:

:tetten: wtf is this?

:wom: what does wom even mean lol

:chome: I enjoy this fellow, but I don't understand his origin

:nsallears::nsamad::nsavince: - is this about the NSA?
:corrupt::forkbomb::wink::wmwink: - p obscure

:goku: dunno what these pants do

in summary this is a thread about our pre-emoji smilies and what they signify

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
💩

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

That Robot posted:

:wom: what does wom even mean lol

There's this ancient MS Paint/Photoshop thread where the poster attempted to draw attention to it by appending "wom" to the end of the thread title. Wom won over the original idea the OP had in mind and was associated with all kinds of bizarre poo poo like a lady having cherry pie holes dripping cum for eyes and a mouth. The OP got pissed off at the obsession over wom and had a bit of a meltdown, and even tried to pull the "puppet master" trick afterward to no avail.

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

the pants are goku pants from when forums user sid vicious attempted to draw goku but misjudged the size and was only able to draw the pants.

the nsa ones come from a leaked nsa slide which had a diagram were they remove encryption where they shouldn't and it had that smiley face

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

they're called emojis now grandpa

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
thank you leroy and treasure bear for being cool

:derptiel: has never made sense either

:koos: and :whitewater: just don't make sense

I'm also pleased to see the variations of :stare:, like :stonk::stonkhat::stonklol:

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
:russbus:

somuch_gravy
Oct 25, 2014

this place is good and not bad
a simile is when you udr like or as a metaphor is when you dont hth

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

That Robot posted:

:derptiel: has never made sense either

cockatiels are stupid baby dinosaurs

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

:omarcomin: always makes me laugh

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what the gently caress is :palmon: about

like i used to love Digimon when i was younger, so i know what it is, but i don't know why someone made it a smiley

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

treasure bear posted:

the pants are goku pants from when forums user sid vicious attempted to draw goku but misjudged the size and was only able to draw the pants.

it was a good thread

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

ScrotoTurboSperg posted:

:omarcomin: always makes me laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmtuRRhtGQw

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
whats this :) mean??

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Orkin Mang posted:

whats this :) mean??

its satanic, it means hail satan

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

satanic splash-back posted:

they're called emojis now grandpa

this is only because vbulletin or something owns the trademark on "emoticon"

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

What do the cats mean like :cabot: ?

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

ghostter posted:

What do the cats mean like :cabot: ?

get your poo poo together bitch

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

chaosbreather posted:

its satanic, it means hail satan

:)

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

:cenobite:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

didn't sa used to have a smiley of psyduck holding its head? or was that genmay? genmay had good smileys

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

radiatinglines posted:

didn't sa used to have a smiley of psyduck holding its head? or was that genmay? genmay had good smileys

:psyduck:

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I just wonder who had the bright idea to buy :chloe: on a fourm who employs pedophile child molesters as mods.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

:)

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
there are a lot of good smilies now but some of my favorite old school smilies are:
:coal:
:holy:
:phoneline:
:filez:
:hellyeah:
:wtc:
:c00lbert:
:killdozer:
:sissies:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Volume posted:

I just wonder who had the bright idea to buy :chloe: on a fourm who employs pedophile child molesters as mods.

I forget what :chloe: signifies. I saw the video and it's like she's indecisive and skeptical about going to "Disneyland" perhaps?

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
I don't know where Wink started, but WMWink:

:wink:
:wmwink:

It's Alfred E. Neuman's mouth matched up to it. WMWink is What, Me Wink?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
i love :shrek:

but why they call it shrek?

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Volume posted:

A couple of points:

1. Not "Employs" but "Employed" past tense. We are a pedophile - free zone, as far as mods go (To the best of my knowledge).

2. Not "employed" but "We don't pay you a dime, but if you want it, there was this old cheese puff we found behind the fridge. You could have that, if you want."

And where did :monar: come from?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

genesplicer posted:

A couple of points:

1. Not "Employs" but "Employed" past tense. We are a pedophile - free zone, as far as mods go (To the best of my knowledge).

2. Not "employed" but "We don't pay you a dime, but if you want it, there was this old cheese puff we found behind the fridge. You could have that, if you want."

I mean, previous mods acted like they got paid for it. Maybe you should re-negotiate your contract

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

genesplicer posted:

A couple of points:

Do you ever get approached by the CVs guy/goon fitness program guy for free sessions?

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
:laugh: is the dog from the obscure Nintendo Entertainment System game "Duck and Hunt"

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
really missing the :scax: emoji rite now.

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
chome: some yospos guy said chometo make fun of chromeusers. the yospos ik pulled out his "prop"erect penis and juizzed all over an apple pie while saying "chome" in increasingly weirder voices. the dancing guy's an emoticon from gmail from before they switched to android emoji.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

:peanut: :peanut: :peanut:
idk why, just be thankful

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
:nsa: is from a doodle on one of the slides snowden leaked

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
:regd13:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Luxury Communism posted:

really missing the :scax: emoji rite now.

i miss :dramabomb: personally

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

genesplicer posted:

That's mona, a japanese 2chan ASCII art character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

dad gay. so what posted:

get your poo poo together bitch

oops :cabot: :minnie: :todd: :3:

• Locked thread