Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Robots. I hated them. Especially the toy ones with batteries. Because sooner or later the batteries start goign wonky and the robots will start making these slow, ghostlike noises, or start and stop their movements in odd patterns.

I never outgrew my jellufish phobia. Seriosuly, all jellyfish can gently caress right off this planet..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Aesop Poprock posted:

I loved the kings quest games when I was little, including the original ones that I'd play on floppy disk on my aunts old Apple II. The part in Kings Quest 6 with the Sense Gnomes used to freak the hell out of me though. I would always have to mute it because their voices combined with their faces and the fact that you can't escape from them freaked me the hell out. Plus they would murder the poo poo out of you if you didn't choose right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeH6Xxy2E8

Bit off topic but I couldnt help thinking about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqunFIEI1IY

Only thing I can think of that absolutely petrified me as a kid were these 2 toys that me and my brother had. One was a walking robot with flashing lights and one was a toy BBQ, both you could add oil too and they had a smoking effect. The red glow of the BBQ and the smell of the oil just loving freaked me out. Oh and the Mudmen from Moonstone on the Amiga... THat loving noise :(

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

It's actually from his nonfiction book, iirc.

if this were the case literally everyone would have read the book because it would have caused like 15 people to go to prison

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

im pooping! posted:

if this were the case literally everyone would have read the book because it would have caused like 15 people to go to prison

I'm not saying Haunted was nonfiction, I was mistakenly of the impression that "Guts" was from his book Stranger Than Fiction.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh man, I just remembered.

When I was a kid, I remember watching videos of the SNES (and later updated for PSX) game Clock Tower.

It was a Japanese survival horror game released in 1995 that featured a female protagonist named Jennifer whose main goal is to figure out what happened to her friends who suddenly disappeared at the Barrows Mansion and to ultimately escape without getting killed. It had multiple endings, one of which you could even escape prematurely by driving a car out from the garage (leaving you alive or dead depending on certain conditions), and was interesting despite being hampered by archaic SNES-era point-and-click mechanics using the regular controller.

The big draw, however, was this fucker:

The Scissorman. Basically, a demonic child from hell-bent on murdering everyone and everything - especially you.

As a 6 or 7-year old kid with an active imagination, this poo poo-fucker was in my nightmares and in my closet ready to pounce out and rip out my entrails with his giant scissors. It didn't help that the Scissorman would most likely jump out at you in-game when you were least expecting it and start a chase sequence with creepy SNES music.

It's kind of silly looking at it now, but man was I scared of that fucker as a kid. :argh:

E: A lot of the character deaths (besides your own) have a lot of highly detailed (especially for the SNES) close-up animations. The one with Laura tied up to the shower head and Scissorman jumping out of the water with his giant scissors literally gave me nightmares.

gently caress you, Scissorman! :argh:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(Sorry for double-posting, but I doubt anyone would read this otherwise)

Another game that scared me as a kid was Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger. It was released in 1999 and I had just turned 10 at the time, so I was still easily scared by movies and video games at this point. Even though Nancy Drew games were ostensibly for girls, I liked them because a.) I could share playing them with my sister and b.) I liked point-and-click mystery games like these.

Long story short, you're trying to figure out who is trying to murder this high-profile actor and in one sequence you stumble onto a bomb placed in his room that you have to defuse:

Bomb sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzT2IzKm_uQ&t=1996s

Bomb death (sorry about the narrator): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p01GO_8zl2Q&t=16s

It looks and sounds goofy now, and honestly the janky 90s era facial animation when you talk with people is creepier to look at now, but as a kid I was honestly terrified of the bomb sequence and the intense music that kicks in all of a sudden. I didn't want to go anywhere near the tape recorder to defuse the bomb I was that scared.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Speaking of facial animation, this 90's Australian children's show scared the poo poo out of me when I was younger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WW1-N9Q5KA
In hindsight it was some weird rear end poo poo.

Also, The Animals of Farthing Wood got pretty dark.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Speaking of facial animation, this 90's Australian children's show scared the poo poo out of me when I was younger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WW1-N9Q5KA
In hindsight it was some weird rear end poo poo.

Also, The Animals of Farthing Wood got pretty dark.

Got? I'm an American and have only seen TAFW clips on youtube as an adult but wasn't the hedgehog road slaughter within like the first few episodes?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Anachronist posted:

I was very scared of squirrels due to hearing about an incident of rabid squirrels relatively near where I grew up.

I also recall reading a book at age 7 or younger in which a) characters end up in an underwater cave and someone has a snail inserted into their ear and maybe dies from it and b) someone dies or almost dies from the bends. It would've been published before 2000 at the very least and my feeling is that it was fairly old when I read it. Does anyone else remember this book? Did it even actually exist or did I imagine the whole thing?

I'm pretty sure I read this book in the mid 90s cuz those stories are really familiar. Can't remember the name right now though

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
A large Black Forest cuckoo clock

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

oldpainless posted:

I'm pretty sure I read this book in the mid 90s cuz those stories are really familiar. Can't remember the name right now though

Just your confirmation is way better than I was expecting, honestly. Please keep me updated if you recall it or think of any other details that would help while searching for it.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
My mum and dad would always refer to 'Mr Nobody' when I'd done or not done something and claimed it wasn't me. 'Where are your school shoes?'
'I don't know, somebody moved them'
'Who moved them, Mr Nobody?'
Etc

Well Mr Nobody was real. You know that Bosch painting of a Pope sat in his throne? Imagine that, but as a slimey man with glasses in a brown tweed suit. He would wake me some mornings at the end of my bed, emitting a deafening yell.

Clearly I was half dreaming, but drat that was some terrifying imagery from a 7 year old brain. Decades later I saw that Bosch painting and was like 'that's him, that's Mr Nobody'.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
The Day After really hosed me up as a kid. Not exactly fear, but a general anxiety about the futility of life in a MAD world.
I mean, what was the point of doing well in school when the Soviets could nuke us at any time. Life was kinda weird for
an 8 year old kinda-nihilist.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I was like 4 and heard my Mom talking about cobwebs and I asked my 12 year old brother what cobwebs were. He pointed at an light fixture with a frosted glass enclosure on the ceiling that had some dead moths or spiders or whatever. Dark spots.

He said "See those? Those are cobs. They wait until you go to sleep and make webs on your face."

So I spent a few years fearing cobs. Also was afraid I would wake up and see Bigfoot looking in my bedroom window because we lived on the edge of Bigfoot country in central Washington state

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Bathtubs when draining. The noise it makes. I had a fear that a monster would come out of the drain. This fear came from that one scene in Ghostbusters.

Also I loved Barney when I was 5, then I had a dream where he had a nubby bone for a hand and that was the end of my love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Haruharuharuko posted:

Heffalumps and Woozles... I was a very sheltered child.

And trains scared the poo poo out of me until i was like 6.

Haha what up homie :respek:

The entirety of "Winnie the Pooh and the Blustery Day" was eerie to a young me.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CLnADKgurvc

E: oops!

Rolo has a new favorite as of 18:22 on Apr 5, 2016

• Locked thread