Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ein cooler Typ posted:

when I was a kid I had nightmares about the brave little toaster scene where they're gonna get crushed by the garbage compactor

it's hosed up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UfsEj7AOGI

There was no part of this movie that wasn't terrifying. Watership Down had a lighter tone to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

nael posted:

I had no idea what that was, so I looked it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro3Fc_yG3p0

I'm terrified of that thing now.

Ok seriously what the gently caress. That's designed specifically to kill people

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thin Privilege posted:

Elevators.

I was told "you will die" "the elevator will fall" "you'll get stuck in the door" "the elevator will stop and you won't be able to get out" and similar. Living in Russia with elevators that constantly broke so this was pretty true but also people who told me this thought it was *funny* to scare the kid by saying this stuff.

I still am afraid to get into elevators but luckily living in a tall building helps, but I still get nervous to get into elevators, especially if they're old ones.

I grew up in the US in the 90s and I was (and am) still terrified of elevators. I have a memory of using an older elevator in a 20 story hotel building at the beach when I was a 7 year old kid, by myself, to get up to our room on one of the higher levels. Combined with my fear of heights I was completely hyperventilating by the end of it. Any jostling or momentary pause and I was thinking

I still have both of those fears but I'm not a complete retard about the elevator anymore. Heights in general I'm still just immediately dizzy and panicky. I love hiking up mountains but if there's any point with a beautiful, breathtaking vista of a valley that opens up I sometimes feel like I'm gonna pass out

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tim Whatley posted:

Chucky the killer doll

I saw the movie Signs in theaters when I was 11 and for the next year or so I couldn't look at my bedroom doorway without thinking the alien from the Brazilian news report was gonna just walk by in the same fashion. That movie is freaky as gently caress until the end.

M. Night Shyamalan, if nothing else, used to at least understand how a creepy out of place thing shot in a mundane way could be a really effective framing device for creeping horror. How he seemingly lost his only really effective technique is confusing as all hell

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I loved the kings quest games when I was little, including the original ones that I'd play on floppy disk on my aunts old Apple II. The part in Kings Quest 6 with the Sense Gnomes used to freak the hell out of me though. I would always have to mute it because their voices combined with their faces and the fact that you can't escape from them freaked me the hell out. Plus they would murder the poo poo out of you if you didn't choose right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTeH6Xxy2E8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Speaking of facial animation, this 90's Australian children's show scared the poo poo out of me when I was younger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WW1-N9Q5KA
In hindsight it was some weird rear end poo poo.

Also, The Animals of Farthing Wood got pretty dark.

Got? I'm an American and have only seen TAFW clips on youtube as an adult but wasn't the hedgehog road slaughter within like the first few episodes?

• Locked thread