Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'd hate walking through a dark room late at night as a kid trying to get a midnight snack because I'd be afraid that a grue or some other demonic murdery shadow creature would leap out from the darkness to try and kill me. :ohdear:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Feb 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, same. I remember spending a lot of nights while I was younger than nine running to my bed and leaping onto it after turning the lights off. Also wasn't helping that I could see my closet and how it always seemed half open.

What's kind of weird for me is that I don't remember ever being afraid of the dark in my own bedroom, just walking through the living room or a hallway that was pitch black. Maybe it was because I could keep my bedroom secure but a random hallway is where the grue could hide and lie in wait for me?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Roro posted:

The eel from Super Mario 64. It made me terrified of 3D games for a shameful amount of years. Super Mario 64 also made me afraid of when the camera clips out of bounds and you see the nothingness behind. Even now I get the willies when it happens.

Just don't forget your QPUs and half A-presses, and you're golden.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Thin Privilege posted:

Elevators.

I was told "you will die" "the elevator will fall" "you'll get stuck in the door" "the elevator will stop and you won't be able to get out" and similar. Living in Russia with elevators that constantly broke so this was pretty true but also people who told me this thought it was *funny* to scare the kid by saying this stuff.

I still am afraid to get into elevators but luckily living in a tall building helps, but I still get nervous to get into elevators, especially if they're old ones.

On the plus side, you'll get more exercise from using stairs more often. :)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Oh man, I just remembered.

When I was a kid, I remember watching videos of the SNES (and later updated for PSX) game Clock Tower.

It was a Japanese survival horror game released in 1995 that featured a female protagonist named Jennifer whose main goal is to figure out what happened to her friends who suddenly disappeared at the Barrows Mansion and to ultimately escape without getting killed. It had multiple endings, one of which you could even escape prematurely by driving a car out from the garage (leaving you alive or dead depending on certain conditions), and was interesting despite being hampered by archaic SNES-era point-and-click mechanics using the regular controller.

The big draw, however, was this fucker:

The Scissorman. Basically, a demonic child from hell-bent on murdering everyone and everything - especially you.

As a 6 or 7-year old kid with an active imagination, this poo poo-fucker was in my nightmares and in my closet ready to pounce out and rip out my entrails with his giant scissors. It didn't help that the Scissorman would most likely jump out at you in-game when you were least expecting it and start a chase sequence with creepy SNES music.

It's kind of silly looking at it now, but man was I scared of that fucker as a kid. :argh:

E: A lot of the character deaths (besides your own) have a lot of highly detailed (especially for the SNES) close-up animations. The one with Laura tied up to the shower head and Scissorman jumping out of the water with his giant scissors literally gave me nightmares.

gently caress you, Scissorman! :argh:

Teriyaki Koinku has a new favorite as of 08:30 on Feb 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
(Sorry for double-posting, but I doubt anyone would read this otherwise)

Another game that scared me as a kid was Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger. It was released in 1999 and I had just turned 10 at the time, so I was still easily scared by movies and video games at this point. Even though Nancy Drew games were ostensibly for girls, I liked them because a.) I could share playing them with my sister and b.) I liked point-and-click mystery games like these.

Long story short, you're trying to figure out who is trying to murder this high-profile actor and in one sequence you stumble onto a bomb placed in his room that you have to defuse:

Bomb sequence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzT2IzKm_uQ&t=1996s

Bomb death (sorry about the narrator): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p01GO_8zl2Q&t=16s

It looks and sounds goofy now, and honestly the janky 90s era facial animation when you talk with people is creepier to look at now, but as a kid I was honestly terrified of the bomb sequence and the intense music that kicks in all of a sudden. I didn't want to go anywhere near the tape recorder to defuse the bomb I was that scared.

• Locked thread