Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Sandwiches are awesome, and there hasn't been a good sandwich thread since the OG chickencheese. Let's fix that.

I love sandwiches. They're finger food, you can make them hot, cold, spicy, sweet. Doesn't matter. They come from all over the place, and wherever there's bread, someone makes a sandwich. I basically eat some form of sandwich on a near-daily basis. They're amazing.

You've got traditional

Asian and middle eastern
[timg]http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2012/07/vadapav[flickr].jpg[/timg][timg]http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2012/08/20080609XianSammysPorkLambroujia[joedistefano].jpg[/timg]

From the southern hemisphere
[timg]http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2012/07/chacarero[nikkigoldstein].jpg[/timg][timg]http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2012/07/50chivito[andrewstrenio].jpg[/timg]

Things that are wrapped up

Basically whatever the hell you want. So share pics, recipes, ask about stuff. Maybe you've never had a sandwich? That's weird. Talk about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Northern hemisphere here, and it was 12:36 pm when I read your thread,
so I put down my knife and fork, picked up my cellphone and made a picture.

After some post processing, I present:

my open-faced sandwich, with a bit of mayo, a lot of cayenne pepper, some tomato and avocado and a plastic/cheese thing, which I stuck under the broiler for 3 minutes.
it tastes fine, especially if you consider that I normally eat that bread with the piece of plastic/cheese thing on its own, after it has been stored in a sandwich bag for about 4 hours. Yay for working at home, I guess.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Here's a nice toasted sandwich:

And another:

And this chicken and salad in Turkish bread sandwich was particularly nice:

On the other end of the spectrum, here's what I call a "bogan sandwich". It's processed chicken (I couldn't find the really low-grade chicken-loaf or I would have gone with that), processed cheese & butter (margarine for authenticity, but there's some things I won't stoop to) in white bread. It tastes like nothing.

paraquat posted:

Northern hemisphere here, and it was 12:36 pm when I read your thread,
so I put down my knife and fork, picked up my cellphone and made a picture.
Why were you eating that with a knife and fork? :psyduck:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Tiggum posted:

Why were you eating that with a knife and fork? :psyduck:

Because I am working from home today, so I could use actual utensils like a civilized person.
I tried chopsticks first of course, but in the end I figured this was more a knife and fork dish.

btw, I could eat your chicken and salad in Turkish bread sandwich, with my bare hands even. Nice!

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Still bummed this hasn't been updated in nearly a year. :(
http://onsandwiches.com/

quote:

I believe sandwiches do not get what they deserve. As an entire category of food confined largely to a single meal, sandwiches get neither the respect nor the study they deserve. Not too long ago I thought about this and decided that something should be done. There should be a place where someone can look between two pieces of bread, examine what is there and ponder what ought to be. A place where each ingredient is considered on its own and in its relation to the larger piece. A place where someone can speak on sandwiches.

And so here we are.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I googled "bogan sandwich" and found this website:

http://www.rowlandweb.com/reuben

It's a website entirely dedicated to reviewing reubens. There hasn't been a new one since 2012, but it's an effort I can get behind

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
a couple of my favorites:

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

Not a Children posted:

I googled "bogan sandwich" and found this website:

http://www.rowlandweb.com/reuben

It's a website entirely dedicated to reviewing reubens. There hasn't been a new one since 2012, but it's an effort I can get behind

This guy was doing some serious cross-state reuben science. We could put this into a spreadsheet and do some intense state-based sandwich analysis.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I had a reuben that had horseradish cream on it as well as the dressing. It was really good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Not going to deny that a pizza is a type of sandwich, but that is really boring pizza.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Tacos and hotdogs both count as sandwiches

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

club sandwiches supremely underrated

Italian subs with lots of really vinegary dressing are my jam too

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Early dinner became open-faced turkey sandwiches. What started out as "what the gently caress do I have in my fridge" is now something I eat almost every week

Start out with some good rye bread, mayo, sliced tomatoes, sriracha, salt and garlic powder, then put your favorite cheese on top (pepper jack w/habañero, obviously)

Toast the poo poo out of it, then add mustard and turkey of your choice, I'm using deli sliced pepper turkey

Toast it again until everything's been heated/browned to your liking

It can take a while depending on your toaster, but like all my favorite recipes time spent is mostly inactive, just letting the heat do it's thing.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
sometimes i make banana sandwiches

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
YES

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Crusty Nutsack posted:

club sandwiches supremely underrated

Italian subs with lots of really vinegary dressing are my jam too

These are both extremely correct.

Also;

Take a nice fresh pita, and pop in some falafel, rice pilaf and fattoush and you have a really loving amazing sandwich meal. I guess tabbouleh is fine instead of fattoush if that's what you have. Or shwarma instead of falafel I guess.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I been making ham and cheese toasted sandwiches. Leg ham, colby for its melt factor, pecorino remano for sharpness, super finely diced onion, pepper. Mayonaise on the outside, toasted in covered frypan. So tasty. So delicious

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Probably the best sandwich topping is hot giardiniera, especially with some salami and whatever else you like on there.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
My roommate bought a package of tiny overpriced tortillas (no Mexicans around here) so I said "you're dumb", went to the Turkish grocery next door and came back five minutes later with a huge bag of dürüm wraps (12 instead of 6, half the price, each wrap so big they won't fit into any of our pans to heat up) and experimented all weekend with yummy stuff to put in them that isn't falafel. My favorite so far is roasted brussels sprouts and eggplant with feta and plenty of fresh onions / garlic. No idea how I ever forgot about these (I used to have them in the kitchen all the time but these last few years my trusty, crusty panini press that I bought at the post office for 10 bucks somehow became my main sandwichmaking tool) but I'm super glad she triggered the memory.

I'll try to take some pictures next time. Turns out that same store also has a nice selection of flavored halloumi so I see many awesome sandwiches in my future. :)

Does anyone have a good yoghurt sauce recipe?

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 8, 2016

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
There are a bunch of yoghurt sauce recipes, if you mean something like Tzatziki, it's pretty easy, but there's variation. Take some yoghurt, (greek or plain) add some lemon to taste, I like one lemon in a cup of yoghurt. Mince up a garlic clove and add it in. If you're not into spicy stuff, you can microwave it before you dice. It'll also make the skin fall right off. Take a nice size cucumber and dice it (peeling optional). English will do but I like to use Persian cucumbers from the Afghani markets. Dice up some dill and/or mint, and salt to taste. That's the classic. Really, you can add whatever you want to a yoghurt sauce, because it's so plain, there's almost nothing you can do wrong.

Something else I really like doing with a good yoghurt sauce is dry rubbing spices onto pieces of meat, and then throwing them into bags of yoghurt, covering it totally, and letting them sit in the fridge for at least an hour. You can roast them or bake them on some kind of rotisserie type thing and the yoghurt makes a really delicious, moist coating.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This was my lunch today:

I toasted the two slices of read then spread them with butter. Australian mustard on one slice, followed by apple, cheese, tomato, capsicum, some leftover coleslaw from last night, and turkey ham. It was pretty fantastic.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Napoleon Bonaparty posted:

There are a bunch of yoghurt sauce recipes, if you mean something like Tzatziki
I mean the stuff they use in kebab shops that isn't cocktail sauce or hot sauce.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Sammiches are the best food and I would have one for every meal if given the chance.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Still had some of that coleslaw left, so I bought some fresh bread and spread butter on two slices, mustard on one and tomato relish on the other, apple, coleslaw, turkey ham, cheese and a fried egg.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
You should id the Sammie's in the op I don't recognize them all!

Po boys, which everyone should be making this week, are great. Clubs are great too god I love those when drunk

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Open-faced hot pastrami:

Saute a bunch of mushrooms on medium until they start to sweat, then crank the heat up to near high and cook the poo poo out of them until most of their moisture is gone (hissing almost stops). Turn the heat back down to around medium, toss in some sliced yellow or white onion, cook to desired doneness (I like mine translucent but still a little crisp). Optional (but delicious) step: Pour in some chicken broth and wait until the mushrooms have completely absorbed it. Toss in a tablespoon or two of your favorite stone ground mustard (Inglehoffer mmmmm), stir into the mushroom/onion mix thoroughly.

Separate mushroom/onion mix into bread-sized servings, top with slices of your favorite melty white cheese. Swiss is great, jack and provolone work too. Throw some good deli pastrami into the pan (or another pan) until it's hot. Put the pastrami on some nice thick toasted slices of rye or french bread. Pile on the mushroom/onion/cheese. Eat with knife and fork or with a lot of napkins handy.

The mushroom/onion mix is the focus here, when I say pile it on, I mean pile it the gently caress on.

Edit: Forgot the optional chicken broth step.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 10, 2016

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
My two favourites are probably avocado, (good) tomatoes and olives on rye bread, or a simple butter and marmite on toast.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD

THE MACHO MAN posted:

You should id the Sammie's in the op I don't recognize them all!

Po boys, which everyone should be making this week, are great. Clubs are great too god I love those when drunk

No promises, but I'll try.

for some of them I just looked up "delicious sandwich" and copied the pic

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I had kangaroo burgers for dinner last night.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

My kangaroona don't want none of that enormous bun, hon

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Midniter posted:

My kangaroona don't want none of that enormous bun, hon

It's Turkish bread.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
lets not forget the king of all sandwiches: The Cubano!

for further inspiration, Scanwitches is great http://scanwiches.com/

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

Seems like I always have a pork roast of some kind in the fridge, ready to be thinly sliced. My current go-to sandwhich consists of 2 bread slices, mayo on one, brown mustard on the other, sometimes a bit o horseradish, melted cheese on top of pork, and LOTS of pickle slices. Known around the house as the 'pork n pickle sandwich', or a white trash cubano if you will.

It's the best with toasted rosemary no-knead bread :swoon:

On the broader sandwich topic, i am WAY too OCD about making the perfect sandwich. Maybe I read HHGTTG too many times?

whoredog fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 12, 2016

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
All sandwiches are perfect in their own way

except gross rear end egg sandwiches

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

Tiggum posted:

It's Turkish bread.

I've been absolutely obsessed with some airy pide bread at this dope bakery near me. Sooooo god. Haven't tried with sammies yet, but it's fantastic. Used it for my red beans and rice, some curry, soup, etc.

whoredog
Apr 10, 2002

Thread needs more grilled cheeses

Rainbow Brioche Gruyere grilled cheese

Less boring entry in the homemade pizza contest (Chicken/bacon/spinach/alfredo)

YojimboMonkey
Mar 24, 2004

In the savage world of Skartaris, life is a constant struggle for survival. Here, beneath an unblinking orb of eternal sunlight, one simple law p
I am a fan of sandwiches. I've been working on a project where I'm going alphabetically through a list of sandwiches, trying every one and writing about them. I'm up to the Fs currently, so here are some Fischbrötchen I've made over the past few days.

Bonus fairy bread photo:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Fishbrotchen and fairy bread: Are you German-Australian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

YojimboMonkey posted:

I am a fan of sandwiches. I've been working on a project where I'm going alphabetically through a list of sandwiches, trying every one and writing about them. I'm up to the Fs currently, so here are some Fischbrötchen I've made over the past few days.

a hero's task indeed

• Locked thread