Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
didn't DFW hate that people only saw IJ for its irony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

and as someone who first read “Infinite Jest” at perhaps the perfect age (22, as a Peace Corps volunteer in Uzbekistan)

jesus christ

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Illavick posted:

Pfffff human being. I read infinite jest at age 27 in and out of a men's drug withdrawal clinic while attending narcotics anonymous meetings. It's not THAT loving great. It's a really good book but it's not timeless, it's just good. After reading it I tackled gravity's rainbow and that was WAY better. Pynchon is a poet where Wallace is a journalist. In the realm of fiction, which do you think makes for better reading? Wallace's prose is just amateur in comparison. I did get a good laugh out of Hal's underground smoke spot being described as "unfenestrated" though. That and the eschatology game were really the best parts of the book imo.

Journalism is the realm of fiction

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Sandusky Kenshin posted:

The book doesn't end, so once you read it you need to go back to the beginning. That's the "Infinite Jest." Isn't that brilliant? *hangs himself*

not true once you finish it you can go on to another book

• Locked thread