Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
So, i got a call from Microsoft in India, apparently i have alot of errors generating error-reports. They could help me fix it by buying software that comes from a 3rd party, really nice of Microsoft to offer that service. But i started to doubt the nice indian lady, how did Microsoft have my number? It turns out that if you have written your number anywhere on your browser, even if it isnt Explorer, Microsoft have it.

So i googled it while talking to her, and even though she was legit (she told me so) there seems to be a really common scam that works like this. Found this gem from Wired:

quote:

At this point the scammer gets spiteful, takes control of Segura's computer and deletes all of the documents from his computer. The scammer then looks for more ways to corrupt the system, heading to device manager to delete the Ethernet adapter driver. Before deleting, he posts "bye rear end in a top hat" (sic) in the TeamViewer chat log.

Segura asks the operator who was deleting the files on his computer, and why the technician called him an rear end in a top hat. A male voice replies that the "technician is always correct. If he is saying that you are something then you must be. He cannot be wrong."

So, talk about the scams you´ve encountered, or as in my case, the thing that seems like a scam but totally isnt at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i had some guy call me the other day and he asked if my refrigerator was running and when i said "yes" he said "well you better go catch it!" and hung up on me :mad:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Is this the new Star Citizen thread?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
a coworker's wife and mother-in-law are going to a three day seminar on real estate house flipping that cost $2500 to attend
when he brought it up we all kind of looked at each other but nobody said anything

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
social security op

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
so how much did you send her

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

dad gay. so what posted:

i had some guy call me the other day and he asked if my refrigerator was running and when i said "yes" he said "well you better go catch it!" and hung up on me :mad:

Yeah, happened to me aswell. Dont know how they make money doing it, but boy did i feel scammed!

jyrque posted:

Is this the new Star Citizen thread?

Hopefully not, cant control what people post but Star Citizen does have its own thread

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=21b_1454207789

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

a messed up horse posted:

so how much did you send her

About 200 dollars, a bargain really

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i heard that those emissions tests that you have to do sometimes dont really check anything. also that the EPA's sole purpose is to enrich politically connected front companies that serve no purpose.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
There's a scam going on now where some guy calls you and threatens you with kidnapping or killing your kid or something and he reads off info like where your kid goes to school (which I am guessing he gets from Facebook) . This has been going on for quite a while now and is not a priority for the FBI for some reason.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
and "global warming" obviously. what a loving racket :rolleyes:

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Last year, when the medical marijuana amendment was on the ballot in Florida, there was a seminar being held to teach people how to get into the business. For the price of a ticket, they would teach you to grow, get licensed, and sell it once the amendment passed.

They were still selling tickets after the amendment failed.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I once paid $10 to post on an Internet forum.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I was told that there were no more laws in the US and that Armageddon was finally here and to shoot my way to Oregon and kill whoever tried to stop me. After three states and 42 dead, boy is my face red!

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i wish i lived in the hospital :(

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Look up yopur Event Viewer Seer that? I can fix your computer.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

dad gay. so what posted:

i heard that those emissions tests that you have to do sometimes dont really check anything. also that the EPA's sole purpose is to enrich politically connected front companies that serve no purpose.

if you have to go to some state-owned facility for testing then it's a real test

if it's done at a mechanic's shop then it's a fake test and you can just bribe the mechanic

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

City of Tampa posted:

if you have to go to some state-owned facility for testing then it's a real test

actually, its not

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

slow ur role man we're not having a whole thread about ur posting

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

City of Tampa posted:

a coworker's wife and mother-in-law are going to a three day seminar on real estate house flipping that cost $2500 to attend
when he brought it up we all kind of looked at each other but nobody said anything

my old roommate did the same thing during the real estate bubble except his cost $8000. he said there's a money back guarantee though so it's cool

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Zeluth posted:

Look up yopur Event Viewer Seer that? I can fix your computer.

Sweet, are you also with Microsoft? You guys helped me earlier today, with that exact method! Man, 200 dollars well spent

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich

No. 6 posted:

I once paid $10 to post on an Internet forum.

Pssshhhh who the gently caress would fall for something that stupid

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

a hangar full of indian people call me about 4 times a week to steal my credit card number and or address

they try so hard

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Bacon Hat posted:

a hangar full of indian people call me about 4 times a week to steal my credit card number and or address

they try so hard

Are the whole warehouse on speakerphone and talking i unison? If so, give them your money, theyve earned it

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
This whole "existence" thing is a giant racket IMO, especially since this is all just a holographic simulation. Nice try pullin a fast one on ol' Kuato

Aug 4, 2010

the economies of south east asia countries are run on scams

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

www posted:

the economies of south east asia countries are run on scams

also, the economies outside south east asia

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
are you really so bereft of anything to do that you sit around talking to foreign scammers for shits?

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
this guy tried to get me to pay :10bux: to post on an internet forum once

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i got the indian guy from microsoft too, he tried really hard to convince me that my mac ran windows

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
We already have a good Star Citizen thread in games

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Every time I get the Microsoft scam call, the number on my caller ID is my own number, which leads me to believe that India is in my attic.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
"do you have prince albert in a can?"
"what?"
"hwehee do you have prince albert in a can?"
"what the gently caress are you talking about who is this"
"uh gotta go"

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I saw this article the other day and I love the title: "Beware This Evil-Genius Airbnb Scam"

Because you would have to have an IQ of like 12 to fall for this scam, nothing about it is genius, the author is just a loving moron. It's a drat shame she got her money back.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/beware-this-evil-genius-airbnb-scam_us_56a7bc08e4b0172c65944c92

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
That's a terrible scam, it just makes things more difficult for those times when somebody needs to call you an rear end in a top hat over the phone and they're 100% legit

Also, my cousin is selling magical alaskan blueberry juice, I had to kick him off my facebook

He posted a screed where the magical blueberry king said that just because you've encountered MLM plans that were retarded scams doesn't mean they all have to be retarded scams

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Every once in a while I'll get a random phone robot call, usually trying to sell me on "higher education". The first time it happened I talked to the robot for a good 15 minutes, marveling at his slightly ethnic accent paired with a prefect diction and a habit of cutting me of and ignoring questions. It was like talking to a black Brent Spinner.

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

OctoberBlues posted:

I saw this article the other day and I love the title: "Beware This Evil-Genius Airbnb Scam"

Because you would have to have an IQ of like 12 to fall for this scam, nothing about it is genius, the author is just a loving moron. It's a drat shame she got her money back.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/beware-this-evil-genius-airbnb-scam_us_56a7bc08e4b0172c65944c92

I recall reading about how scams are more successfull the dumber they are. Take Nigerian prince-style scams: they´re really dumb and transparent and this weeds out undesireables. What the scammers are left with is the most gullible people imaginable. I dont know if it is by design tho

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Parallax Scroll posted:

my old roommate did the same thing during the real estate bubble except his cost $8000. he said there's a money back guarantee though so it's cool

did he ever get it back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

did he ever get it back

i doubt it lol. haven't talked to him in ages

he did buy some lovely house like 2000 miles from where he lives but last i heard he was never able to flip it so he rents it out

• Locked thread