Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.
"Hey man we just finished a job installing a home theater in a rich dudes place but our company ordered too many speakers. We were going to just bring these back to the warehouse but we saw that they don't appear on the invoice, see? So maybe throw us some money and we'll let you have them! Steep discount, they're a good brand, DaVinci! Look at the MSRP written on the box! $2500.00!
Give us, say $350, and they're yours!
I even have a catalog and website you can check out! "

An acquaintance of mine fell for this... And tried to convince me repeatedly of the awesome deal he got. But they were loving garbage poo poo speakers (obviously) I just smiled and nodded and said "yep what luck those guys stopped you in the parking lot"

This is still happening though they've moved on to video projectors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
"Cold Laser Therapy" and the classic electrolytic corrosion scam that is those foot detox machines.

A friend of a friend got hustled out of $450 by these two.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Landmark Education

They suck unhappy idiots in with promises of the effects of what normal therapy would provide, but offer nothing productive other than ever-escalating-in-price courses. Anyone that tries to sell you on this poo poo has bought in and you should avoid them forever.

wireframeskull fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 2, 2016

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

dev286 posted:

"Hey man we just finished a job installing a home theater in a rich dudes place but our company ordered too many speakers. We were going to just bring these back to the warehouse but we saw that they don't appear on the invoice, see? So maybe throw us some money and we'll let you have them! Steep discount, they're a good brand, DaVinci! Look at the MSRP written on the box! $2500.00!

An acquaintance of mine fell for this... And tried to convince me repeatedly of the awesome deal he got. But they were loving garbage poo poo speakers (obviously) I just smiled and nodded and said "yep what luck those guys stopped you in the parking lot"

If anyone wants to see how crap they are -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3B_KKyntQE

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've only been scammed once in my life and it was back when I was like 19. I tried to sell a brand newish powerbook G4 online and I had a buyer lined up. I was wary of being scammed with such an expensive piece of equipment so I used the UPS cash-on-delivery service to collect payment. UPS accepted a fraudulent cashier's check and I was out the $1,500. Really pissed me off that UPS would offer a service that doesn't offer even the slightest bit of guarantee. Why even offer the service then?

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

I've only been scammed once in my life and it was back when I was like 19. I tried to sell a brand newish powerbook G4 online and I had a buyer lined up. I was wary of being scammed with such an expensive piece of equipment so I used the UPS cash-on-delivery service to collect payment. UPS accepted a fraudulent cashier's check and I was out the $1,500. Really pissed me off that UPS would offer a service that doesn't offer even the slightest bit of guarantee. Why even offer the service then?

yeah the company I used to work for did something like this too, they sent a $3k+ order overnight C.O.D. (to a vacant house it turns out) to some guy and he paid with the fakest, most obviously modified money order ever and UPS was like "lol too bad".

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
Biggest scam? Organized religion :smuggo:

When I was looking for a new apartment I got several messages from people who wanted me to drive past the place they were "renting" and just peer in the windows. If I liked it they would gladly accept a money order and mail me the key.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

There's a scam in Mexico where you'll get a call saying that you won some big prize, you just need to provide some personal details and names of two family members to verify your information. Then they call those family members and say they kidnapped you and demand ransom. My grandmother got a call like this once, and according to my dad she genuinely believed it but she said "Oh, I don't have that much money. Please tell my son [my uncle] I'm sorry" and hung up on them.

My database professor is from China and they have a similar scam there. You get told you can make some quick and easy cash doing some work in an office; only rule is you gotta turn off your phone for 3 or 4 hours. Then they use information you provided to hustle your family members like above, and of course if they try to contact you by cell phone it's off so you don't even know.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rufus T. Turnbuckle posted:

When I was looking for a new apartment I got several messages from people who wanted me to drive past the place they were "renting" and just peer in the windows. If I liked it they would gladly accept a money order and mail me the key.
I had a couple friends get poo poo like this when they were moving across the state a few years ago. Just tons of scammers trying to "rent" them apartments sight unseen that were ripped from legit rental places in Utah or Iowa or wherever. This is in addition to all the assholes trying to pull this on Craigslist which put a big "don't ever agree to rent an apartment sight unseen!" banner in the housing section.

Fortunately my friends aren't idiots and GIS'd the pics sent to them.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Counterfeit gundam models off eBay even though they weren't cheaper it's just the one I wanted was sold out at the place I normally order from. It was a really good fake until it was missing pieces.

Entangled
Feb 24, 2013
Apparently people are making unlicensed bound copies of current technical publications in this digital age?
https://youtu.be/KxZ2oKli64U (Relevant discussion starts about 1:00 in)
Turns out anyone buying a 1224 page book has already been scammed. Coulda got the eBook and had a search function for way less.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How does anyone still fall for the good old Nigerian scam (advanced fee scam)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance-fee_scam

Also, the scambaiters are hilarious.

http://www.419eater.com/

Say Nothing fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Feb 3, 2016

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Say Nothing posted:

Also, the scambaiters are hilarious.

http://www.419eater.com/

Those assholes lost all my respect with this, where their activities got CHILDREN MURDERED. And the site continues to promote it (for a decade now) as a trophy.

Luxury Communism
Aug 22, 2015

by Lowtax
Mangosteen, heh.

PS: mods knew

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Maldoror posted:

Those assholes lost all my respect with this, where their activities got CHILDREN MURDERED. And the site continues to promote it (for a decade now) as a trophy.

The "Question of Ethics" section doesn't mention child murder, and I'm not reading all of those emails, could you summarize?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

dev286 posted:

back around 2000 my dad "fell" for this. Fell in quotes because he knew it was some sort of scam but he got them down to 75 for two floor speakers. Honestly they were great for the price... I used them throughout college where they were treated like poo poo during house parties and such. I still have them in a closet and they work better than you'd expect a 15 year old 75 dollar pair of speakers to.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

revmoo posted:

Similar but opposite as I was the buyer. instead of receiving a PowerBook I bought second hand I'd saved up ages for, some dickhead sent me a ring binder with a bunch of keys taped to it.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I keep getting emails from "Pay-Pal Costomer Supports" :saddowns:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm surprised the white van speaker scam still exists and people still fall for it lol

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
I used to get these young people coming to my apartment in Baltimore asking for my gas/electric bill. They kept talking about how my gas bill was split up and they just needed to verify that my service was being processed correctly or something. I remember once I just stood there and listened to him ramble and I just kept saying "sorry I honestly can't understand what you're talking about" and eventually just closed the door. To this day I don't know know what the hell they were trying to do.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Indian woman on the phone: Hello this is the IRS. You owe a substantial amount of money. Pay up right now or the cops will be at your house shortly.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

Doghouse posted:

I used to get these young people coming to my apartment in Baltimore asking for my gas/electric bill. They kept talking about how my gas bill was split up and they just needed to verify that my service was being processed correctly or something. I remember once I just stood there and listened to him ramble and I just kept saying "sorry I honestly can't understand what you're talking about" and eventually just closed the door. To this day I don't know know what the hell they were trying to do.

That's probably Just Energy or whatever they call themselves now, basically they sign you up for a scam energy plan.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I get very worried every time I get a call that tells me my nonexistent car's nonexistent warranty is about to expire

OH poo poo SON NOT THE BEALEMOBILE

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I avoid getting scammed by refusing to talk to anyone about anything, it's going well so far, other than the crippling loneliness.

AbbadonOfHell
Jul 16, 2004
You know I would try to think of something funny to put here but ill just pass on that and threaten people with a + 2 board with a nail in it.

OctoberBlues posted:

I avoid getting scammed by refusing to talk to anyone about anything, it's going well so far, other than the crippling loneliness.

Yet you still fell for this well known one.
:10bux:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

OctoberBlues posted:

The "Question of Ethics" section doesn't mention child murder, and I'm not reading all of those emails, could you summarize?

Guy tried to trick scammer to travel into the most dangerous parts of Darfur, scammer sent his young teenage nephews instead (who likely had no knowledge of the scam), scambaiter was aware they were minors but went ahead with tricking them, they then disappeared off the face of the Earth (i.e., most likely captured / killed).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

A couple co-workers were talking about a "cleanse" product that, in conjunction with carefully dieting, really helps you shed the pounds.

As diplomatically as I could I suggested the "cleanse" part might be a dumbo feather and the diet was what was doing the heavy lifting, but hey, if it works for you.

probably didn't convince anyone since i am a softbodied fat with no willpower or self control myself :smith:

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I'm surprised the white van speaker scam still exists and people still fall for it lol

The only time I've seen this was in Hazleton, PA, and they actually pulled up the van in the middle of a meeting with some of the company's upper management, and we were all like "seriously?"

A friend of mine got scammed in a Sheetz parking lot one time- somebody sold him a bunch of fake watches and some other poo poo for like $100, and he showed up later that night saying what a great deal he had gotten. Sorry dude, that's fake plastic crap. He killed himself like six months later.

An ex of mine fell hard for one of those apartment scams. We had already broken up, but still sorta talked, and she was going on about how she had found this great deal on an apartment inside DC. The rent wasn't so low as to be an obvious scam, but it was definitely suspicious, and the supposed landlady just happened to be leaving for europe like the day before this chick could meet her to check out the apartment, so she was supposed to send a money order and receive keys in the mail. I flat out told her it was a scam, and that she shouldn't do it, but she went ahead and mailed two or three thousand dollars to a scammer. Dumb bitch...she never put out either, so she was pretty useless all around.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
I was an Army Recruiter for three years. People use the recruiters office all the time as some sort of military information Kiosk. Ask why there are helicopters flying around (like I would loving know)

Anyhow I got to break a few older womens hearts because they eventually thought it was suspicious to send money to a "solder in iraq" money via an address in Nigeria so they could fly home for the holidays because apparently the military left them stranded there.

Meanwhile I was the biggest con artist of all, telling their kids that joining the army was a good idea :mmmhmm:

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I fell for the cross-country apartment scam thing once but luckily it was a real place and the landlord was real

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

BLARGHLE posted:

An ex of mine fell hard for one of those apartment scams.

Ah, Craigslist, magical land of owner landlords who happen to be out of the country so they can't show you the apartment, sorry, but here are some pictures

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BLARGHLE posted:

An ex of mine fell hard for one of those apartment scams. We had already broken up, but still sorta talked, and she was going on about how she had found this great deal on an apartment inside DC. The rent wasn't so low as to be an obvious scam, but it was definitely suspicious, and the supposed landlady just happened to be leaving for europe like the day before this chick could meet her to check out the apartment, so she was supposed to send a money order and receive keys in the mail. I flat out told her it was a scam, and that she shouldn't do it, but she went ahead and mailed two or three thousand dollars to a scammer. Dumb bitch...she never put out either, so she was pretty useless all around.

Yeah, I ran into a few of those when I was apartment hunting on CL. They do a good job making the rent low enough to catch your eye but not so low as to be beyond plausibility entirely. Amusingly through the magic of networking I actually found a bargain 2br with a lot of space that's even cheaper and 100% legit.

Also one of the ones that I replied to that turned out to be a very obvious scam someone else posted a "BEWARE OF SCAM" about it... but he thought the "scam" was that the person was legitimately out of the country and expected you to do yardwork and maintenance on top of the rent. Hey, at least he didn't get taken.

Howard Beale posted:

Ah, Craigslist, magical land of owner landlords who happen to be out of the country so they can't show you the apartment, sorry, but here are some pictures
Hello,

Thanks for the email. The House is very much available and will only be given out to someone who can take very good care of the place and its appliances. Appliances include laundry facilities, Dishwasher, Microwave, Oven, Refrigerator and other necessary facilities. I am giving out the house for rent as a result of my transfer to Malaysia.

I will be giving out the house for $600/month including utilities except electricity with a security deposit of $600. I need to inform you as well that money is not the major reason why I am renting it out but need someone who can take care of it as if he/she owns it while I am away. So let me know as soon as possible if you are that person, so we can discuss the rent further. Pets are allowed in the house

We initially planned to sell the house through a real-estate agent but we changed our minds and decided to rent it out due to the bad economy which has also affected the housing market.

If you are interested, you can go by and have a proper view of it but you will not be able to go inside cause the keys are here with me in Malaysia. Here is the address of the house [address]

I await your reply.

Sarah Stafford

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I was an Army Recruiter for three years. People use the recruiters office all the time as some sort of military information Kiosk. Ask why there are helicopters flying around (like I would loving know)

Anyhow I got to break a few older womens hearts because they eventually thought it was suspicious to send money to a "solder in iraq" money via an address in Nigeria so they could fly home for the holidays because apparently the military left them stranded there.

Meanwhile I was the biggest con artist of all, telling their kids that joining the army was a good idea :mmmhmm:

Yeah, recruiters are the biggest con artists in the armed forces. The Air Force's Recruitment Command was located in the annex across town from my last base, and there was no end to the shady poo poo the former recruiters claimed went on. Also, pretty much anyone in any service will tell you their recruiter lied to them, because they probably did, so good times.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

dev286 posted:

One of my friends fell for this and even with an entire group of people trying to explain what the scam was he still didn't get it. He kept insisting that he knew their story was fake and that they were stolen but he didn't care because he got some awesome speakers for cheap, somehow managing to misunderstand us explaining that the scam works on your assumption that they are stolen when they are actually just lovely speaker not worth even the 'reduced' price.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I popped back in on my recruiter while home on leave and he'd lost a stripe. I diplomatically avoided mentioning it but he noticed me noticing and said he'd get it back and get his career on track.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Back in my early 20's my then-wife and I were renting a house and had someone show up with a 2-liter of "free" soda and offer to sell us a kirby vacuum.

because of the paralysis of that couple thing where we were both deferring to the other neither of us really said "no" and the guy was there for like two goddamn hours while she left for class, super pushy, and did the thing where yeah he calls for a pick up from the home line, which turns out when we filed a police report they told us is how they get your number to call back and see if you're so they can burgle your poo poo.

Basically this lady's experience more or less:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/greenville-spartanburg-area/2235473-kirby-vacuum-scam-knocking-doors.html

like they kept trying to sell me this $500 vacuum to vacuum my rugs and pillows, as we had goddam hardwood floors. :v:

we were never burgled and never really out anything (aside from some sketch late-night hang-up calls I assume were those dudes), they gave up eventually because i explained over and over that didn't have half a grand to buy a vacuum even if i wanted (and i didn't) at the time. but it was weird and if i'm being honest kind of uncomfortable to realize we'd been had.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Feb 3, 2016

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

BLARGHLE posted:

Yeah, recruiters are the biggest con artists in the armed forces. The Air Force's Recruitment Command was located in the annex across town from my last base, and there was no end to the shady poo poo the former recruiters claimed went on. Also, pretty much anyone in any service will tell you their recruiter lied to them, because they probably did, so good times.

It's hosed up because most guys start out pretty honest and poo poo, but the leadership just kinda forces you into that poo poo. If you say you don't want to play that game anymore they send you to a mental hospital and kick you out. That was my experience. I tried to be honest, but lies by omission are still lies.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

It's hosed up because most guys start out pretty honest and poo poo, but the leadership just kinda forces you into that poo poo. If you say you don't want to play that game anymore they send you to a mental hospital and kick you out. That was my experience. I tried to be honest, but lies by omission are still lies.

That's basically the armed forces in a nutshell.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

BLARGHLE posted:

Yeah, recruiters are the biggest con artists in the armed forces.

what about warrant officers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

what about warrant officers

true story i was once worked at a detachment run by a man who wore the mantle "oldest warrant officer serving in the navy" with the airs and graces of it being a royal title.

he pulled strings to get his two kids stationed at the same base, one in the same unit, these two ginger guys aping the "oldest warrant officer serving in the navy" thing like a three-man cult. guy was like a thousand and all Lieutenant Haulk about salutes and being called "sir" every time he was addressed.

at the time i was all like thinking "bitch please if you're 95 or w/e and still wearing the khaki pantssuit you should at least have the self-respect to be a real officer, and a flag one at that."

i remember one of the mini-cult-clan making a big deal about the air force guys in the detachment having a meeting with the door closed, because of some esoteric or possibly made up navy regulation about a meeting with a door closed being forbidden in the navy because it could be plotting a mutiny, and we dare not mutiny against the old man

• Locked thread