Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Booblord Zagats posted:

I'm making this thread after talking to a literally mentally ill person yesterday and wondering "How do they hold this belief despite overwhelming, and even self-verifiable evidence?"

I mentioned having a family friend who was an astronaut. This person then told me how NASA is a lie and the Earth is flat. I proceeded to be a normal person and exited the conversation ASAP while maintaining a polite demeanor because this person is a possible client for my office. But then I started wishing I could have asked themn "Then how do you explain time zones and analemma?" Because now the thought of whatever cookoo bullshit they came up with would probably be a real hoot to hear.

So, GBS, what crazy rear end theories have you heard and what was the reasoning you have heard for them?

Wasn't some rapper trying to make claims via Twitter that the earth is flat earlier last week? Or am I making this up in my sleep-deprived brain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

PBS Newshour posted:

so annie jacobsen wrote a book, called Area 51: An Uncensored History of America's Top Secret Military Base. The main hook of this book is basically "hey we are going to give you a rational explanation to what is really going on at Area 51."

annie jacobsen went on NPR to talk about her book.

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/17/136356848/area-51-uncensored-was-it-ufos-or-the-ussr

this is 46 minutes long, but its amazing. it starts out seemingly normal, and suddenly gets insane. you can tell the interviewer didn't exactly knew what she was getting into, and you can hear the stress in her voice once she realizes "i have to continue interviewing this person for another 20 minutes"

This is amazing! Thank you for sharing it.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

You sound like the crazy person, trying to impose a viewpoint on a stranger. If your point is so universal and easily verifiable then why do you need to go to such pains to convince other people? Sounds like you are trying to seek validity to your potential delusional line of thought, and if it's a particular neurosis surrounding that thought then you might have become obsessed with alleviating the pain of your rational mind trying to intervene by building up a pathological scheme to rationally override apparent facts to the contrary, and potentially forming rituals that involve imparting that mindset on others. Be careful with certainty, it may not exist philsophically, and everyone's viewpoint may have a glimmer of poetic truth to it whether based in reality or fantasy.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Booblord Zagats posted:

I misread as QTE and now I'm imagining a fun Hulk Hogan/Richard Belzer adventure game

I would play the poo poo out of that.

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Smash it Smash hit posted:

people that purposesly have sex with people with STDs oh god why do i know this stuff

I long for the days when I was blissfully ignorant of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyAmbien
Oct 22, 2015

Smash it Smash hit posted:

i think that was the first for me too.

becasue of that, i blame your husband

Me too - high five?

• Locked thread