Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

THE PEOPLE VS. O.J. SIMPSON: AMERICAN CRIME STORY PREMIERES TONIGHT AT 10:00 PM EST / 9:00 PM CST on FX

http://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/american-crime-story/episodes

FX posted:

The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story is a limited series that takes you inside the O.J. Simpson trial with a riveting look at the legal teams battling to convict or acquit the football legend of double homicide. Based on the book The Run of His Life: The People v. O.J. Simpson by Jeffrey Toobin, it explores the chaotic behind-the-scenes dealings and maneuvering on both sides of the court, and how a combination of prosecution overconfidence, defense shrewdness, and the LAPD’s history with the city’s African-American community gave a jury what it needed: reasonable doubt.

From Executive Producers Ryan Murphy, Nina Jacobson, Brad Simpson, Scott Alexander, Larry Karaszewski and Brad Falchuk, The People v. O.J. Simpson: American Crime Story stars John Travolta, Cuba Gooding Jr., Sarah Paulson, David Schwimmer, Courtney B. Vance, Sterling Brown, Nathan Lane, Kenneth Choi, Christian Clemenson and Bruce Greenwood. The limited series is produced by Fox 21 Television Studios and FX Productions.

Billed Cast:

JOHN TRAVOLTA as ROBERT SHAPIRO

CUBA GOODING JR as O.J. SIMPSON

SARAH PAULSON as MARCIA CLARK GETTY

DAVID SCHWIMMER as ROBERT KARDASHIAN

COURTNEY B VANCE as JOHNNIE COCHRAN

STERLING BROWN as CHRISTOPHER DARDEN

NATHAN LANE as F. LEE BAILEY

KENNETH CHOI as JUDGE LANCE ITO

CHRISTIAN CLEMENSON as BILL HODGMAN

BRUCE GREENWOOD as GIL GARCETTI

IMDB link:
Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3

timp fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I'm with The People on this one.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The "They were on a break!" defense tactic.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I was probably going to give this one a pass, but Sepinwall's glowing review piqued my interest.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Does SImpson get paid for this? I'd assume they can't just use his name and story without payment.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Air is lava! posted:

Does SImpson get paid for this? I'd assume they can't just use his name and story without payment.

I don't think he has any rights since he's a federal prisoner

EDIT: Funny, if you knew nothing about O.J. Simpson or this case that could seem like a spoiler. Haha.

timp fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Feb 3, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I haven't read a non-glowing review about this show, it's probably gonna be The Show of early 2016 that captures everyone's hearts like True Detective in 2014 and The Jinx in 2015

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

timp posted:

I don't think he has any rights since he's a federal prisoner

I don't think this is how the law works. The US department of corrections doesn't have to afford him certain rights pursuant to keeping him imprisoned, right to privacy, speech, etc. He doesn't just lose all rights forever or even specifically while being in prison. Also it's important to remember that legally he did not do this crime so he's able to profit from it.

Also he did it and I'm watching it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Botnit posted:

Also it's important to remember that legally he did not do this crime so he's able to profit from it.

dunno if that's true, he was found guilty in civil court, remember

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Toxxupation posted:

dunno if that's true, he was found guilty in civil court, remember

It's the criminal that matters to the Son of Sam laws, which actually ended up being stricken down ultimately and rebuilt up only following Supreme Court declaring they were only constitutional with "extremely precise wording". O.J. being able to profit off it has been a pretty big thing of the last two decades, charging for interviews and writing that awful book, etc.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Botnit posted:

I don't think this is how the law works. The US department of corrections doesn't have to afford him certain rights pursuant to keeping him imprisoned, right to privacy, speech, etc. He doesn't just lose all rights forever or even specifically while being in prison. Also it's important to remember that legally he did not do this crime so he's able to profit from it.

Also he did it and I'm watching it.

Botnit posted:

It's the criminal that matters to the Son of Sam laws, which actually ended up being stricken down ultimately and rebuilt up only following Supreme Court declaring they were only constitutional with "extremely precise wording". O.J. being able to profit off it has been a pretty big thing of the last two decades, charging for interviews and writing that awful book, etc.

Interesting...of course IANAL and all that. That being said I'd love for a civil lawyer goon to weigh in on all of this.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

This is all from the old Ask/Tell about the case. The reason he was/is so desperate for money is that he owes the estate of their families a poo poo ton of money for losing the civil case.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Botnit posted:

This is all from the old Ask/Tell about the case. The reason he was/is so desperate for money is that he owes the estate of their families a poo poo ton of money for losing the civil case.

As I recall, any profit he receives that isn't completely off the books and under the table goes to the victims families.

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

That's the common belief for people who owe from civil cases but the truth off memory was OJ still got to keep a significant portion of his income because it was a structured levy where if he only had a claimed income of $100,000 then he only had to give a much smaller percentage of it because it was seen as necessities, so he was able to do books and big interviews for bigger money but the families also got huge percentages of those because it was all claimed, but he'd also do a ton of road show memorabilia, autograph bullshit off book that were rumored to be in the low millions income a year.

That was one of the things from the robbery where people were amazed that he could afford such a prominent legal defense team when he was supposedly destitute. They weren't Cochran & Shapiro level but they were still way better than he was financially supposed to be able to have access to.

Botnit fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 18, 2016

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Well I think we know what kind of show this is going to be.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Was that Kevin James walking his dog and finding the body?

e: Aw man, no awesome intro sequence like American Horror Story.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Feb 3, 2016

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Hooked already, this is really good.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Im not gonna watch this but I am very excited to see Ross

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I knew it was Kaelin.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Boy, Sarah Paulson looks loving weird with that hair.

90s hairstyles sure were not flattering.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9KyBdPeKHg

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

This is surprisingly entertaining, even if the casting is sort of hilarious.

Don't worry OJ, Ross and Tony Manero will save you!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sash! posted:

Don't worry OJ, Ross and Tony Manero will save you!
I can't take David Schwimmer seriously at all after seeing so much Friends. But Cuba is already killing it as OJ.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is surprisingly great

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Some of these cast choices seem like they'll be distracting but I guess it's worth a shot with all the good reviews.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I can't take David Schwimmer seriously at all after seeing so much Friends. But Cuba is already killing it as OJ.

Yeah, he's doing pretty great.

Selma Blair was a pretty good Kris Kardashian too.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Travolta is a douche but he's nailing Shapiro

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The flashback to early 90's tech was pretty great

casting seems alright so far

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

But Cuba is already killing it as OJ.

looks like he did his homework then :downsrim:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually Cuba was a literal madman well before this show

Botnit
Jun 12, 2015

Grumble grumble method acting.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
My main though, other than he totally did it, is has Schwimmer even done anything since Friends.

and time for the :siren: SLOW SPEED CHASE :siren:

e: next episode I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

spoon0042 posted:

My main though, other than he totally did it, is has Schwimmer even done anything since Friends.

and time for the :siren: SLOW SPEED CHASE :siren:

e: next episode I guess.

Here and there but he's directed stuff for the most part. I don't think he wanted to act much after the show.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

spoon0042 posted:

The Madagascar movies :shepface:

Hell yeah, next week's the white Bronco chase.

e: And Connie Britton! gently caress yeah

e2: Wait, that preview may have been for the rest of the season. Nevermind.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

sportsgenius86 posted:

Here and there but he's directed stuff for the most part. I don't think he wanted to act much after the show.

ah.

Looks like things start to fall apart in the preview. Fun.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I liked it. I was too young to know anything about the whole media circus around this case when it was actually happening, so everything I know about it comes from reading about it years later.

I think the show is doing a good job so far capturing how utterly insane the atmosphere surrounding the whole thing must have been.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Hell yeah, next week's the white Bronco chase..

The Bronco chase has to be its own episode. You could do a whole movie about that chase alone.

In fact they kinda did. If anyone out here hasn't seen June 17, 1994 yet, get your rear end to Netflix and rectify that immediately.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Noticed right away the tall detective with Furman was Sal from Southland.

Mr Muggy
Mar 30, 2010

I'm just gonna do this for about two minutes, okay?

DivisionPost posted:

The Bronco chase has to be its own episode. You could do a whole movie about that chase alone.

In fact they kinda did. If anyone out here hasn't seen June 17, 1994 yet, get your rear end to Netflix and rectify that immediately.

Quote this forever. That is a loving fantastic documentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This is hilariously trashy. Entertaining but I have no idea why the reviews are so good when the flaws are so obvious and dumb.

Take a shot for every dramatic zoom in.

• Locked thread