Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I guess seeing Kris' appearance gave away who she was to me, and pointing out Khloe and Kourtney felt forced.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I watched the 30 for 30: Jun 17, 1994 last night. Definitely worth watching, and stay through the credits, that commercial is crazy. I remember watching the whole bronco chase with my dad and my brother, I was 10 years old and it was actually on my mom's birthday.

They referred to that commercial in the episode. "He's the guy from the Hertz ad." :stare:

Sash! posted:

Nope, our generation got OJ, Space Shuttle Columbia maybe, and 9/11.

Although if those are the only "where you were" moments, we get, I'll take them because there could be a whole lot worse.

In addition to Iraq (as mentioned before), the announcement of the death of Osama bin Laden was one. I was talking to a friend on Facebook and told her "Uhh...you might want to go to CNN. Something big's happened." The suspense of waiting to hear WHAT was unreal.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Geez, I forgot all about the ominous as hell "national security announcement" when bin Laden was killed. I remember exactly where I was for that one.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

i thought the reference to the kardashian children was smart and brief

It was so blatant and forced

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Sash! posted:

Geez, I forgot all about the ominous as hell "national security announcement" when bin Laden was killed. I remember exactly where I was for that one.

Didn't the Rock, of all people, manage to tweet something about it before the White House did?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

I don't remember where I was that night but I remember the next day the papers were all some variant of "WE GOT THE FUCKER".

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

ninjahedgehog posted:

Didn't the Rock, of all people, manage to tweet something about it before the White House did?

Tweet nothing he announced it on raw

Also it was john cena

http://youtu.be/Kw7_Rip9z20

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 6, 2016

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

quote:

At around 9:45 p.m. EDT, the White House announced that the president would be addressing the nation later in the evening.[155] At 10:24 p.m., the first public leaks were made simultaneously and separately by Navy Reserve intel officer Keith Urbahn and actor and professional wrestler Dwayne Johnson on Twitter.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'll take Challenger blowing up, Cobain dying, Magic Johnson announcing he has HIV, Michael Jordan un-retiring & 9/11.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Toxxupation posted:

Tweet nothing he announced it on raw

Also it was john cena

http://youtu.be/Kw7_Rip9z20

John Cena announced it on a pay per view that night. May 2nd is my birthday so I went to a bar after I got done watching the WWE show. Celebrated with the rest of the bar when President Obama came out and announced his death.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, I would certainly be in favor of putting The Rock in charge of hunting down terrorists.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Pretty sure that's what the Fast & Furious movies are about now.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

CBJSprague24 posted:

I get that those were the Kardashians of terrible reality TV show fame, FX, I don't need Kris to point it out.

I took it as a reminder the Kardashian celebrity status stems from their father being involved in a notorious murder trial. Future reality stars running around the wake of a murdered woman is an image that's supposed to make your stomach turn and it worked on me.

Also I don't know if it actually happened but the neck brace on the body in the open casket was such a powerful detail.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

commy gun posted:

I took it as a reminder the Kardashian celebrity status stems from their father being involved in a notorious murder trial. Future reality stars running the wake of a murdered woman is an image that's supposed to make your stomach turn and it worked on me.

Yeah this is a show about celebrities and all the awfulness that comes with celebrity culture. So if a there's a connection to two of the most vain celebrities in recent memory it would actually be weird if they didn't mention the baby Kardashians.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I was 19 in 1994 and never knew about the Kardashian link until now, which is causing me some mild cognitive dissonance.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Sash! posted:

I was expecting either OBL being killed or an imminent terror threat of apocalyptic proportions (dirty bombs, "Badguys have the nukes and they're headed this way, oops sorry"). The wait for an announcement on a Sunday night was surreal.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was in my college's on campus diner and it immediately turned into kids leaving to drink and sing the national anthem all over campus.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Sash! posted:

I don't remember what I was doing when I heard OBL was killed. I do remember it was during a Phillies game and the crowd just burst into a USA chant. I cant remember if I was watching the game, something else that cut to the game, or if I was browsing the forums.

What year was that? 2011?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

DOOP posted:

I don't remember what I was doing when I heard OBL was killed. I do remember it was during a Phillies game and the crowd just burst into a USA chant. I cant remember if I was watching the game, something else that cut to the game, or if I was browsing the forums.

What year was that? 2011?

lol thats right I remember that now, was also watching that game. Philly fans loving own

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CBJSprague24 posted:

I was expecting either OBL being killed or an imminent terror threat of apocalyptic proportions (dirty bombs, "Badguys have the nukes and they're headed this way, oops sorry"). The wait for an announcement on a Sunday night was surreal.

I was lucky enough to have skipped the uncertainty. I think I just saw someone on Twitter cracking jokes about OBL being killed, prompting a "Wait, WHAT" and a frantic scroll down the timeline until I saw "Anonymous sources confirm..."

Funnily enough, my favorite, most vivid memory of the whole thing was seeing a GIF of President Obama walking away from the podium after making the announcement. The guy that made it -- I think it may have originated on the forums, actually -- slowed it down and dissolved it to black and white as Obama walked away, giving it a supremely badass feel.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remember being surprised that Osama was (apparently) a real person that still existed and not a group of body doubles or something.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't really kept up with a TV show in a while, certainly not this season, but since I moved and went from a cable-less household to one with full DirecTV with a DVR, I'm gonna watch the gently caress out of this show. The pilot sold me on it completely, it's a great looking show with some awesome performances. My only knowledge of the case itself is from pop culture references of the last 15 or so years, plus having listened repeatedly to a bunch of Norm McDonald Weekend Updates (I really hope there's a clip of one of those, I don't even need to see his face, just to hear his jokes would be enough), so it's interesting to see something that actually takes it seriously, rather than just parodying the case.

Sash! posted:

Yeah, I remember where I was for 9/11 (5th grade math class), but the bin Laden announcement is the best "where were you" story I have. My family was on vacation in New York City, we had stopped in to the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square for dinner, and I saw the GBS thread about the "national security announcement", so at the end of dinner (before the official announcement) I dashed outside and watched the announcement in Times Square itself. There were news people all around, looking for people to interview. I briefly considered heading down to the WTC site, but we were leaving the next day and I wanted sleep. I saw footage, it seems like it was very cathartic. Actually, I'm fairly certain that Robin Williams' death is gonna be another one of those for me. I was working at a movie theatre, a coworker came out of the bathroom and told us, and it was just a surreal rest of the day. I saw an older gentleman sitting on a couch in the lobby looking at his phone, and I could swear he was crying.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I remember Michael Jackson's death more than Bin Laden's even though I wasn't a fan of MJ because so many people I was working with at the time were affected by it.

afterhours
Jul 1, 2007
Cuba Gooding Jr is a great actor, but I feel like he's a little too... soft for this role. The way OJ has been described in interviews made him seem like someone that was terrifying when they flew into a rage.

Last week, Dr Phil had some family of the victims on his show with the author of the book and some people who worked on the mini-series. It was a lot of "how dare you profit on our pain" accusations. It rang a little hollow to me. This whole incident has been exploited and discussed and dramatized so many times that I don't think this particular series should create a unique sense of outrage. I had to watch the trailer after the show, because the way they described it made it sound like TMZ and the Dailymail were going into the business of dramatic reenactments.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

idris elba as oj simpson

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That would have been great, but he actually has a successful career at the moment. I'm sure it wasn't tough to get Cuba.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

afterhours posted:

Cuba Gooding Jr is a great actor, but I feel like he's a little too... soft for this role. The way OJ has been described in interviews made him seem like someone that was terrifying when they flew into a rage.

Last week, Dr Phil had some family of the victims on his show with the author of the book and some people who worked on the mini-series. It was a lot of "how dare you profit on our pain" accusations. It rang a little hollow to me. This whole incident has been exploited and discussed and dramatized so many times that I don't think this particular series should create a unique sense of outrage. I had to watch the trailer after the show, because the way they described it made it sound like TMZ and the Dailymail were going into the business of dramatic reenactments.

And besides, at what point does something like this become history and open for general examination and critical discourse? Acting quality aside, I don't think this series has been particularly sensationalist and appears to be presenting us with a reasonably accurate portrayal of the events in question, which is a perfectly valid and good thing for a dramatization to do.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the whole notion of "making money off grief" only comes up with events that people forget happened a long time ago.

The film Sid and Nancy happened much less than 22 years after the tragic murder(?) of Nancy Spungen.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Botnit posted:

Wish there was some announcements Fox made about the payments that are or aren't going to OJ for it. Makes you feel dirty just watching it.

This series is entirely about public figures, with all events and dialog vetted by lawyers to make sure they conform appropriately to established facts. Almost certainly, none of the principal participants are seeing a dime from this.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

afterhours posted:

Maybe they felt it would be better if Simpson was portrayed more as unstable rather than prone to rage maybe. But if the season has alot of scenes with him being unhinged and rage filled than, yeah, maybe they should've considered somebody else for the role.

We'll see if Cuba Gooding Jr can pull that off, he wasn't bad when he had to angry in the 1st episode.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
It's my recollection that behind the scenes, once OJ assembles his dream team of a legal defense, he is extremely hands on with the presentation of his case and a ball buster about details. There was one antidote in particular where they're in a closed room and he's in a jumpsuit and full chains standing on the witness stand just verbally abusing one lawyer in particular over a matter, reminiscent of an angry high school football coach dressing down his players.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Dead Snoopy posted:

It's my recollection that behind the scenes, once OJ assembles his dream team of a legal defense, he is extremely hands on with the presentation of his case and a ball buster about details. There was one antidote in particular where they're in a closed room and he's in a jumpsuit and full chains standing on the witness stand just verbally abusing one lawyer in particular over a matter, reminiscent of an angry high school football coach dressing down his players.

I think we may have seen a glimpse of that in one of the previews after last week's episode. OJ yelling "What I saw out there was completely preventable!" would definitely fit that situation

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"Who the hell signs a suicide note with a smiley face?"

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Arnold Palmer's last US Open :allears:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This poo poo with the Kardashian kids is...a little much.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

This poo poo with the Kardashian kids is...a little much.

Absolutely

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Here we go :haw:

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

...a little much.

Ryan Murphy.txt

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh god, and now Sabotage is playing during the White Bronco chase. This is batshit insane.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Oh god, and now Sabotage is playing during the White Bronco chase. This is batshit insane.

In the best way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Sabotage is for an awesome chase with explosions and someone shooting a helicopter down.

The OJ chase requires...elevator music.

Like Mr Shapiro is listening to right now

• Locked thread