Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

texasmed posted:

big agnes makes a good tent. the more you pay, the lighter they normally are so they can be good if you're hiking out to somewhere. the best way to camp though, is to get a big giant tent and just set up next to somewhere you can park a car so you don't have to carry anything

get at least a 4 man tent so you can put your backpack and poo poo inside so snakes and spiders don't crawl up in there

those x person tent ratings are bullshit. they expect you to stack people in there like it was a slave ship. i need space to be me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

if you don't know why it's worth having a nice expensive tent then you probably aren't at the point where you would need a nice expensive tent

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

tankadillo posted:

if you don't know why it's worth having a nice expensive tent then you probably aren't at the point where you would need a nice expensive tent

That's kinda bullshit unless you can enunciate it

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

naem posted:

Like you go back to her $3000 a month apartment and its spotlessly clean with a futon on the floor and like $15000 worth of arctic expedition level camping gear and 14 kinds of herbal tea

heck of turned on rn

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i got a tent from them that's p. good. supposed to be for "backpacking" whatever that is ive just used it for car camping and it stormed pretty good on me once and i stayed high and dry

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

those x person tent ratings are bullshit. they expect you to stack people in there like it was a slave ship. i need space to be me.

I think it's like X 5"6" 110lb people packed in like sardines. I've had a few 1-3 man tents that I couldn't lay in without my feet and head touching the walls, which really sucks when you wake up all covered in condensation in the morning.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
This poo poo is a steal for 50 bucks:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000001978-Parent-Hooligan-Tent/dp/B00V85D0EY

I used that poo poo for three summers, its so easy to set up you can do it in pitch-darkness, it's nice and roomy for one person, and it keeps the wind and water out great. It's tall enough to sit up and move around it, and if you're alone, you can keep your pack in it too. It's also got a vestibule you can put wet raingear or shoes in without getting water/dirt inside.

It's a little tight for two adults but gently caress sharing a tent. And it's cheap.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
You didn't post a link to the tent in question, or even a photo of it. How are we supposed to assist you???? I've seen tents that have multiple rooms and central areas that cost thousands, and I've seen one-person pup tents that cost less than $20. Give us details!!!!!!

banme
Apr 23, 2008

genesplicer posted:

You didn't post a link to the tent in question, or even a photo of it. How are we supposed to assist you???? I've seen tents that have multiple rooms and central areas that cost thousands, and I've seen one-person pup tents that cost less than $20. Give us details!!!!!!

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

I want a 4-person tent for just me, so that I don't have to change clothes while simultaneously sitting cross-legged.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Yes OP, you need it, do you really think space-age sweat wicking thermal nanofiber metamaterial self-heating autoinflating tents come cheap????

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

if im going camping its really just an excuse to get drunk outside somewhere and in that condition ill just enclose myself in a pair of hefty bags and sleep just as well as you would in a $300 tent

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

Ehud posted:

it was a gift from my uncle because I was the ring bearer in his wedding

did you throw the ring into mt. doom

if yes, did he know about this before he gave you the tent

old-timey newspaper gal
Feb 23, 2005

tankadillo posted:

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

That's kinda bullshit unless you can enunciate it

I'll elaborate. A lot of nice expensive tents, especially those designed for backpacking cost so much because they are made of ultralight materials and are designed to minimize pack space. Unless you need a tent that packs down small and weighs only a couple pounds because you are going to be carrying it for many miles and for long periods of time this is a waste of money. By design, these tents are minimalist and significantly less durable because of compromises made to save weight (very thin fabrics, small vestibules, no footprint, etc). If you are going to be parking your car next to your campsite, there is no reason to spend extra money for something that will be less durable, less functional, and have less features than a $75 Coleman tent. I have a couple very nice, expensive tents that I use for hiking but if I'm going to be camping next to my car then I most certainly wont be using one.

Some other expensive tents you'll see are whats called a "4-season" tent. These are designed to be used in winter conditions where maybe you get covered in snow overnight. These will have special design considerations such that the frame can support a load of snow on top, maintain a high degree of water resistance, and prevent you from asphyxiating while you sleep due to being buried in snow. Again if you aren't going to be camping in these conditions, you're wasting money.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Buncha amateur glampers in here

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

You don't need a tent to sleep in the streets!

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

SPACE HOMOS posted:

You don't need a toilet to piss in the streets!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb1pdvvoVoQ

Just get one of these.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i'd rather have him pissing out of the tent into the toilet on the streets than on the toilet in the streets pissing into the tent

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
tbh if you can't construct your own shelter from the various materials you find around you then just go home you loving scrub

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
as a bird i'd have to agree with that sentiment

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Mozi posted:

as a bird i'd have to agree with that sentiment

One of my best friends is a bird

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

If you are going to hike miles into the woods and camp in the rain or during shoulder seasons it is worth it to have a modern, lightweight dome tent. If you are just going to drink bud light in a state park campground full of RV's on labor day, you are fine with a walmart tent.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

Boko Haram posted:

Tarps are way better than tents IMO

This guy knows what's up. If your setup doesn't look like one of "The First 48" episodes filmed in Miami, you're doing it wrong.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Hammocking is where it's at, get your rear end off the ground.

naem
May 29, 2011

Lawrence Gilchrist posted:

heck of turned on rn

You wake the next morning covered in each other's bio fluids and she has no food in the house at all except for like a lemon flavored Luna bar she fishes out of her GORETEX®™©® SmartPack®™® (with advanced action liposomes©®™)

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

naem posted:

You wake the next morning covered in each other's bio fluids and she has no food in the house at all except for like a lemon flavored Luna bar she fishes out of her GORETEX®™©® SmartPack®™® (with advanced action liposomes©®™)

did she smell nice

naem
May 29, 2011

Necros posted:

did she smell nice

they always do

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Clark Nova posted:

If you are going to hike miles into the woods and camp in the rain or during shoulder seasons it is worth it to have a modern, lightweight dome tent. If you are just going to drink bud light in a state park campground full of RV's on labor day, you are fine with a walmart tent.

I live in Texas so yeah I'm just going to drink about 14 shiners by a camp fire and then lay down somewhere.

Based on this threads advice I bought a $40 4 person tent at target. It's currently setup in my theater where I'm sitting right now, lol

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

naem posted:

gently caress you, this wasn't a pattern for me, and now that you've pointed it, it's super obvious and I'm thinking about how many other guys had gone down on her before me. gently caress.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Hot Jam posted:

I'll elaborate. A lot of nice expensive tents, especially those designed for backpacking cost so much because they are made of ultralight materials and are designed to minimize pack space. Unless you need a tent that packs down small and weighs only a couple pounds because you are going to be carrying it for many miles and for long periods of time this is a waste of money. By design, these tents are minimalist and significantly less durable because of compromises made to save weight (very thin fabrics, small vestibules, no footprint, etc). If you are going to be parking your car next to your campsite, there is no reason to spend extra money for something that will be less durable, less functional, and have less features than a $75 Coleman tent. I have a couple very nice, expensive tents that I use for hiking but if I'm going to be camping next to my car then I most certainly wont be using one.

Some other expensive tents you'll see are whats called a "4-season" tent. These are designed to be used in winter conditions where maybe you get covered in snow overnight. These will have special design considerations such that the frame can support a load of snow on top, maintain a high degree of water resistance, and prevent you from asphyxiating while you sleep due to being buried in snow. Again if you aren't going to be camping in these conditions, you're wasting money.

I remember some of my earliest boy scout hiking/camping experiences involved carrying in heavy, World War II era canvas tents on our 50 miler. One thing that made it a tiny bit better was the fact you only had to carry half of the tent. You and your buddy had to button the two halves together.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ive got a pitched tent for ya OP (a BONER!!!!! :grin:)

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

buy poo poo on craigslist now while retards that don't go camping ever bought them during the summer try to sell because they'll never use that poo poo again

naem
May 29, 2011

I knew a family growing up who had a huge military tent set up permanently on land they did not own, with a wooden floor and toilet

It was especially weird because it was like 200 yards from their McMansion style house in a partially abandoned subdivision

If asked its purpose they'd look at you confused and say "fer huntin" OH and they drove ATVs all 200 yards to it because that's what you do, you drive ATVs to "the woods" and drink, in a tent. I don't know what they hoped to murder on state land next to empty subdivision plots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

genesplicer posted:

I remember some of my earliest boy scout hiking/camping experiences involved carrying in heavy, World War II era canvas tents on our 50 miler. One thing that made it a tiny bit better was the fact you only had to carry half of the tent. You and your buddy had to button the two halves together.

im surprised the war effort could spare those tents while fighting the huns

• Locked thread