Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd put a cheeky fiver on leave. Never underestimate the shitness of the Great British Public.
Might be one of those things that people who really really care turn out in droves for like xenophobes and closet xenophobes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

cargohills posted:

I'm sure the Conservatives definitely wouldn't gently caress workers and consumers harder than with EU restrictions.
Thats the nub of it isnt it, whatever you feel about the EU overall our lovely government wants to be able to opt out of all the actual good social things. And think thats good.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The EU as it stands is a force for neoliberalism.

I'm half German and identify primarily as a European but I'm tempted to vote to leave. Going to see varoufakis speak at LSE so will be interesting to see what he has to say.
I think I agree with you I just like all the social stuff but I suppose it doesnt matter if any new arrangment means any member can ignore anything then it just becomes a big gently caress-off trade bloc without the good stuff.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

I wanted to reply to this but it seems you've been struck down with probation syndrome.

To answer one-sidedly, though, the EU as it stands is strongly pro-privatisation and while things like the ECHR is great, it's not wholly tied to the EU. Given we also pay into poo poo like the Common Agricultural Policy which almost entirely benefits landed gentry over actual farmers, I'm not too worried about loving over millionaires.

Arent they (our gov) loving with echr stuff tho? i mean if they are already dont you think they will more outside of eu.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

They want to replace the HRA with a weaker British Bill of Rights, but they can't supersede the supremacy of the ECHR, inside the EU or out.
Ah thanks. Thats what I wanted to know. Im going to have to read further nut if thats the case (which will read on as said) im not sure I give much of a toss about being in or out apart from the unesscary redfining of a zillion other laws and treatys and trade-agreements... oh

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Robot Mil posted:

the probation service has been privatised
hang on really? what?

i had a look and found 'resettlement providers' and its G4D, Serco and PSP

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ctober_2015.pdf

whats a resettlement provider, i dont like the sound of that, bad choice of words whoever thought that one up

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

"Resettlement is where prisoners and their families receive assistance and support from the Prisons and Probation Services, and voluntary agencies to help them prepare for life after prison. This includes advice about their entitlement to state benefits, training, education, work experience and preparation for release."

Basically reads like a service you'd want in the hands of the private sector about as much as you'd want the private sector involved in the benefits system
i betcha the actual service goes down something like this:

a) person gets probation or is released from nick to go on probation, is given contact details for one of those group of cunts, has to turn up for really long loving day of re-education and leaves with lots of leaflets and orders to turn up every period to be stared at and vetted by some unqualifed jerkoff

b) recives regular thinly veiled threats to carry on doing whatever pointless bullshit they have been told to do, puts up with it for a while

c) thinks gently caress it, crime was easier than this poo poo and better paid

d) company gets paid anyway regardless of outcome

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I ask because of this bit from the BBC article on proposed prison reforms, which has triggered a quiet internal scream that will not cease:

quote:

The prime minister said governors would have control over the way they run their prisons. This would include "total discretion" on budgets, and the ability to opt out of some of the thousands of pages of rules and regulations set in Whitehall.
arrrggggghh1

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

I honestly dont know any people in my personal or work life; or even notice any going around, who have that hairsprayed sort of parting haircut thing that all torys have. And there are like 100 people where i work.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

His quote:
"Father Crossan told the newspaper that he took the drugs but said: "It was just the one night and that was it.""

He kinda looked like he had done that before. One is usually a bit 'how do i do this' on ones first go on a line of coke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

This is the worst thing about the whole drug charade. It's either 'no it was just once and I'm very sorry it was a mistake' or 'I experimented back in college but we were all young once'.

There's never 'oh yeah I actually indulge pretty regularly but I don't let it affect my personal or work life' and there's no such thing as a casual user, which implicitly means that all regular users are addicts and all addiction represents some sort of personal moral failing.
Forget priests, they can go nuts for all i care, but from politicians id appreciate a plain 'Ive occasionally used recreational drugs of various sorts at various times across my life but now I'm on the public payroll I'm going to be working like a bastard because of the trust the public has put in me and wont really have time for such fun, but I'm rolling a fat reefer the day I'm out of office!'

Wouldn't that be nice.

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 1, 2016

• Locked thread