Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I love the visuals of it but even as a kid the battle of Hoth never sat well with me. Why does the empire not strike the base with an air attack first? Really when you have space travel like that you would think drone and satellite strikes would happen first instead of sending these big unwieldy elephant things to a location far from the base to have them lumber to the rebel base.

I get this post reeks of autism but I know the real answer is 'because it looks cool'. I just wonder if there is anything in the horrible EU or supplementary books that explain the logic behind that decision. That's one good thing about the new movie, it has issues but all the attacks came from the air outside of that sneaky infiltration by Han and others which actually had a purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Because the shield generators were up you stupid idiot. They literally say that in the movie.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
It's called suspension of disbelief, nerd. There's no other way to watch Star Wars. Try not to overthink it.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Nutsngum posted:

Because the shield generators were up you stupid idiot. They literally say that in the movie.

Why not strike the shield generators from the air? Or in fact, space?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Because that's exactly what Shields are meant to protect you from dumbass.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Artum posted:

Because that's exactly what Shields are meant to protect you from dumbass.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Of all the stupid things to complain about like the Empire using what is possibly the single worst design for armored vehicles in the history of war, you complain about the perfectly reasonable plot device.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so why didnt they generate a shield on the ground too

or i dunno use flying ships instead of big walky trippadoodles

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
page 17 of the rule book, idiot:

quote:

Bombardments
Dreadnought and War Sun units in the activated sys-
tem may bombard a planet before the player under-
takes Invasion Combat (exception: a War Sun unit
may bombard a planet even if no Invasion Combat is
about to take place). Simply roll one combat die for
every Dreadnought, three for every War Sun, and
remove one enemy Ground Force on the contested
planet for every result equal to or higher than the
combat value of the bombarding unit.
Remember that a Dreadnought may not bombard a
planet that contains at least one enemy PDS due to the
presence of a planetary shield.

Ground Forces destroyed by bombardment are
removed immediately, do not receive return fire, and
will not participate in the upcoming Invasion Combat

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
the empire was a largely incompetent body, militarily, and was lead by the galactic equivalent of a 5 year old throwing as perpetual temper tantrum, op.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Obi-Wan Kenobi should have just let the giant eagles get rid of the ring, it would have been a lot easier.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Why didn't they fly straight to the exhaust port instead of to the other end of a turbolaser-lined trench a couple miles away?

poorlifedecision
Feb 13, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Why don't Jedis just the clearly superior laser rifle? You could hit people from afar and still use the force.

Why doesn't Chewbacca just learn English?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Mozi posted:

so why didnt they generate a shield on the ground too

or i dunno use flying ships instead of big walky trippadoodles

Because you need to have ground traction to get through the shield. This has been a well-understood question for decades . God, some fuckers can't be bothered to look up the most basic answers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

poorlifedecision posted:

Why don't Jedis just the clearly superior laser rifle? You could hit people from afar and still use the force.

why doesnt everyone use clearly superior machine guns instead of blasters? people survive blaster shots all the time, and they shoot bolts of light that are super slow. a jedi wouldn't be able to deflect a hail of bullets the same way

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Why does Vader bitchchoke that guy for coming out of hyperspace too close to Hoth? Isn't that exactly what you want for a surprise attack?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

poorlifedecision posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Sniper

Sorry friend, the terrible EU already beat you to it.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
why are all the aliens really stupid looking?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

poorlifedecision posted:

He understood it but couldn't speak it with his dog vocal chords.
Dunno why Han and Jaba spoke to each other in different languages though

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

poorlifedecision posted:

Congratulations, you're a spaceracist

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Let's see a jedi deflect a swarm of shotgun pellets, those smug bastards.

Like literally, blam blam, movie's over Kylo.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i find it disturbing that r2d2 cant speak loving english but everyone understands him

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
same with "chewbacca" :rolleyes: what a load of horse poo poo :wookie:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Ever notice that in all his gargle-wailing, Chewbacca never makes a "Ch", "B" or "Ca" sound? Dude can't even say his own name.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
i have programmed this "droid" for use in situations where he will be in close human contact like being a co-pilot and whatever the gently caress he does. everything he needs except the ability to talk which is technology that is readily avalable. ill just make it so he beeps and squeals *wipes hands together* there all done!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dad gay. so what posted:

i find it disturbing that r2d2 cant speak loving english but everyone understands him

I think you mean "Basic", not English, you see,

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

Ever notice that in all his gargle-wailing, Chewbacca never makes a "Ch", "B" or "Ca" sound? Dude can't even say his own name.

im not sure how anyone would even know what his name was in the first place :confused:

maybe thats just a pet name

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

lilljonas posted:

Mirror Zefram Cochrane: Jedi Slayer

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
hoth is by far the best planet because everyone gets special outfits

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Entropic posted:

This is a very good point, holy poo poo.

I assume he maybe writes it down on space paper when people ask him what his name is.

The shield thing still doesn't make much sense. Ok so it blocks fire from above. Why not use some tie fighters or low flying hover things to attack the shield generators? Why the elephant things?

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I like the part with the tow cables

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why does Vader bitchchoke that guy for coming out of hyperspace too close to Hoth? Isn't that exactly what you want for a surprise attack?

Because bringing the fleet that close to Hoth alerted the Rebels to the Empire's presence which allowed them to get their planetary shield up which prevented bombardment.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

dad gay. so what posted:

im not sure how anyone would even know what his name was in the first place :confused:

maybe thats just a pet name

I think "Chewbacca" is actually not even a wookiee word, it's a racial slur against wookiees from another language.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
its a plot device for a movie, OP

the characters are the real problem here. george lucas is a retarded baby

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

I think "Chewbacca" is actually not even a wookiee word, it's a racial slur against wookiees from another language.

i call them "zoo rear end"

Phlairdon
Apr 15, 2003

If you can't stand up you can't do war!
Why do I, as a non Star Wars fan, always end up reading through Star Wars threads on this forum? It makes no sense.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

Why didn't they fly straight to the exhaust port instead of to the other end of a turbolaser-lined trench a couple miles away?

I don't think the trench in the movie was full of turbolasers like in the games

lilljonas posted:

coincidently that's how you grief people in jedi outcast and the sequels. A lot of weirdos demand LIGHTSABER ONLY jedi duels, then you can shotgun them to their face.

lightsabers confirmed for not blocking poo poo

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

dad gay. so what posted:

its a plot device for a movie, OP

the characters are the real problem here. george lucas is a retarded baby

The guy who runs around with the ice cream maker in cloud city is one of the best characters ever written

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Ginette Reno posted:

The guy who runs around with the ice cream maker in cloud city is one of the best characters ever written

hmm yes, a good design for a space craft would be a pod, wait make it TWO pods and put a pilot in each one. for no reason. makes sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what if... they were racing against each other? and one of them was a kid and you had greg proops as an alien commentator?

• Locked thread