Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

oh god no

Edit: At least we picked COs that weren't featured in the broken game posted, so, bonus for Slur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

KennyMan666 posted:

oh god no

Edit: At least we picked COs that weren't featured in the broken game posted, so, bonus for Slur.
Battle of the maddening 2-star CO Powers :getin:.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

And since I hosed up slightly the game between me and SuccessfulStudent may be over next turn, but the weather certainly didn't help me this turn either.

Edit: And if not next then probs the one after that because I found an additional fuckup, gj Kenny

Edit edit: Nevermind

KennyMan666 fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 26, 2016

Successful Student
Jan 29, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

And since I hosed up slightly the game between me and SuccessfulStudent may be over next turn, but the weather certainly didn't help me this turn either.

Edit: And if not next then probs the one after that because I found an additional fuckup, gj Kenny

Edit edit: Nevermind

Well, just take solace in the fact that you didn't make the biggest fuckup this thread has seen yet!

Pro tip for anyone looking to play a dual CO game: pressing tag CO ends your turn immediately. Do not forget this fact and try to tag COs before doing anything else in your turn!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

tbh I don't know how much that would have actually changed the results but yeah I figured that's what happened.

So anyway, tag game is over. Slur, do your thing.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Pointing out the team game is still open, if no one else takes it in the next day or so I'll just take that slot so it can get started.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Endorph joined the team game, which has now started, and we have Adder/Koal vs. Max/Koal.

Amazing.

EDIT: I can't quite shake the feeling I've made a grave mistake.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 29, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I'm proud of you all for not choosing a single wave damage CO.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
One of these COs is not like the others! I just wanted to avoid using Koal/Adder to mix it up :v:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
Just wish to apologize for the lack of updates lately; 4 games have now finished, and I should be typing like a madman before the games get erased by some unfortunate accident. Unfortunately, events have popped up which are preventing me from getting around to them. I'll probably have one of the updates out by the weekend at the least, though.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Post-Tournament Exhibition Match 2: Einwand vs Endorph - Flak vs Jugger Game

Another day, another update, another map. The gimmick of this exhibition match was a simple one: force both players to play as two of the absolute riskiest COs in the entire game. Rather than give an elaborate intro for this one, I'm just going to get right into the map and CO evaluation:

This map is rather claustrophobic, and I chose it to be that way on purpose: the more that units clash with each other on this map, the more interesting the end results are going to be, especially considering the CO choices: Flak and Jugger. Let's go over their stats quickly:

Flak:

• Day-to-day: Units' luck factor is modified so that units can do up to 25% more damage and 10% less damage with each attack.
  • CO Power: Brute Force - Luck range changes to 50% more damage and 20% less damage.
  • Super CO Power: Barbaric Blow - Luck range changes to 90% more damage and 40% less damage.

Jugger:

• Day-to-day: Units' luck factor is modified so that units can do up to 30% more damage and 15% less damage with each attack.
  • CO Power: Overclock - Luck range changes to 55% more damage and 25% less damage.
  • Super CO Power: System Crash - Luck range changes to 95% more damage and 45% less damage.

They're essentially the same CO, with the only differences being that Jugger has a 5% larger range on his luck, and has 1 more CO bar for his CO power. They're also rare choices among players for any given game due to their erratic luck, which at best can land them a few extra points of damage which will allow them to break through the worst of checkpoints, and at worst leave a perfectly good unit more battered than what they were targeting in the first place. This especially comes into place when their CO powers are activated, as that luck can either grant a player the right to eradicate higher tier units, or make things even worse for the player who activated it. Playing Flak and Jugger essentially adds some luck to the game, but as this update will show, it's not as luck-based as things may seem.

Well, let's begin.

Black Hole - End of Day 7

We've skipped quite a ways into the game, as to get past all of the capture phase shenanigans and right into combat. At this point in the game, Einwand controls a total of 3 properties over Endorph, which puts Einwand at a slight advantage at this point in the game. However, I wish to focus on a few things that Einwand is doing that Endorph hasn't yet. Firstly, Einwand is building a group of artillery to the southern point of the map. Secondly, Einwand is clustering many of his infantry together, creating these sort of "walls" with them.

I've played against Einwand in many matches before in the #AWBW IRC channel, and these set of "infantry clusters" is one of the ways that Einwand tends to get an edge above his opponents: using full HP infantry, he usually surrounds his units in such a way that they cannot be advanced upon, but he can advance freely against his opponents. He also uses these clusters to defend his artillery units, and find openings in his opponent's maneuvers to let his infantry move forward. Rarely have I seen him openly attack opponents with his infantry, as he usually leaves his other units to mount those sorts of assaults. Getting around him has always been a rather difficult task as a result (especially considering my own playstyle and its faults, but that will come up in another update).

Either way, let's see how the match progresses from here.

Brown Desert - End of Day 8

On Endorph's side, we hae a battle copter bolting northbound to assist in the northern assault, and a few infantry sitting along the southern side of the map. An attempt to destroy Einwand's tank on the city was made, but it didn't take; Endorph and Einwand's tanks are both left with 7 HP, but Einwand's tank will recover off the damage next turn. With Endorph being not too well mobilized on either front, Einwand certainly seems to have the advantage. However, Endorph can certainly bring some much-needed assistance to the northern front and perhaps divert Einwand's attention to the northern side of the map.

Infantry, artillery and anti-air are a dangerous combo. The first stonewalls any potential threats coming forward, the second provides a heavy assault which can hit any ground unit with a vicious amount of damage, and the third hold off any potential air strikes which can ruin a good wall like that. As a result, I can't help but wonder if it is a perfect defense, or if there are ways around that sort of unit formation. Furthermore, it makes me question my own banning of the Black Bomb and Stealth Fighter units at the beginning of the tournament, and whether or not that was the wisest decision; when I look back on them, I begin to understand why Intelligent Systems made them in the first place for Dual Strike. The debate on how balanced they are is an open one, and I do encourage the discussion of it.

Black Hole - End of Day 10

Endorph has taken a bit more damage here, with the south side all but eradicated and the north side losing a tank, a few infantry, and various other units going forward. Einwand has also built a battle copter within this turn and the last. With unit mobilization on his side and not much stopping him from marching forward, Einwand has the match pretty well-clenched. However, Einwand still hasn't mobilized too far forward for Endorph to make a bold strategy to counterattack. Within the next turn, the potential for higher tier units being built is there, and Endorph could retaliate accordingly. The other option includes hiding her battle copter behind that sole infantry and using that as a platform for advance.

Brown Desert - End of Day 10

Endorph decides to go bold as it begins to snow, and go right in for the attack against the enemy tank. It will certainly stop Einwand from mobilizing forward for the next turn or so, but with no backup on that counterattack, Endorph's battle copter will be severely damaged or lost within the next turn.

Things aren't looking bright on the southern front either.

Black Hole - End of Day 11

Not shocking to me is the continued and unimpeded forward push by Einwand, but the security of his victory with a single unit: the carrier he just built in the lake. For those of you who don't know what this unit is, the carrier unit is an addition made in Advance Wars: Dual Strike, and is an indirect combat unit. It has the largest range of fire out of any indirect combat unit in the game, hitting any air unit within a 3 to 8 space range of it for an incredibly large amount of damage. It can also load up to two air units and supply them with fuel and ammo at the beginning of the turn (this feature is rarely if ever used, though I can see it pulling off some hilarious Fog of War shenanigans). It is also the most expensive unit in the game, at a total of 30,000G to produce.

It is a niche unit, but Einwand's deployment of it means that after that battle copter which now sits on Endorph's base, Endorph can never build another air unit again unless she destroys that carrier. The reason behind this is because any time a unit is now deployed on top of the airport, Einwand will instantly shoot it down, even with Flak's luck factored into the equation. With no more air units to deploy, and a strong and heavily marching army coming from Einwand's side, this is essentially checkmate for Endorph.

Brown Desert - End of Day 16

And this is the point where the game ends. Endorph spent the past few turns pushing forward on the northern front with a CO power or two, which led to Einwand's units slightly getting pushed back, but ultimately with the production of a few bombers, Einwand was able to grab the northern front as well.

Flak and Jugger's erratic luck didn't really play a huge factor into this match, and ultimately it was the mobilization and preparation of units which led Einwand to his victory. Endorph did a good job along the northern front, but with pressure being placed on the southern front, as well as a few assaults going unprotected on the northern front, Einwand clinched it in the end.

One of the things I've learned from this LP is that funding may mean a lot in the long run, but it also served as a reminder to something the first Advance Wars tried to drill into our heads in the midst of the campaign. If you can recall Kanbei's Error from the first game, they teach the player two valuable lessons: the first is that a unit is only as valuable as where it is ultimately deployed along the map. The second is what an airport is.

Slur fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 2, 2016

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Lake Battleship, yesssss.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Post-Tournament Exhibition Match 3: Twib vs Slur vs DecoyBadger vs Eeepies - Four Player FFA (Fog On)

If you wanna know, Twib won.

Slur fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 3, 2016

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Well, looking at that game in the AW2 theme it shows properly, not that I can figure out why when looking at it in AW1 doesn't.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Einwand posted:

Well, looking at that game in the AW2 theme it shows properly, not that I can figure out why when looking at it in AW1 doesn't.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I've always had to play in the AW1 theme because it did that poo poo otherwise. :shrug:

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I just decided to edit the first screenshot's post and make it into a full update.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
It shows up fine for me, I can take some screenshots as necessary if that will help.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The map display is wonky sometimes. I can't see map previews in Firefox, it just looks like that, blank with the sprites on top - but it works in Chrome. But once the game has started, there's no problem in Firefox and I can watch replays no prob too.

So try checking in a different browser.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
It works for me when i go Incognito, no idea why.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
Leaving that copter in AA range :ughh:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

chaosrefined posted:

Leaving that copter in AA range :ughh:

:rip: B-Copter, your sacrifice to Nat20's power bar will not be forgotten.

Also, :rip: to the countless infantry that have fallen in the wake of the Boss Game. It's like loving WW1 up in here.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

TheMcD posted:

:rip: B-Copter, your sacrifice to Nat20's power bar will not be forgotten.

Also, :rip: to the countless infantry that have fallen in the wake of the Boss Game. It's like loving WW1 up in here.
WW1 is sort of Advance Wars multiplayer's default state. I'm honestly surprised that the battles in the main tournament were as open as they were. Probably all the S-Rank Category maps.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Team Game and Boss Game are both finished now.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012
As is the Free For All, No Fog. Very enjoyable matches!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

chaosrefined posted:

As is the Free For All, No Fog. Very enjoyable matches!

I'm going to reserve my comments about the team game until after it's shown :D

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I'm going to reserve my comments about the team game until after it's shown :D

I may have unbalanced the game, put it that way!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I can't seem to access the replay for the Dual Strike game. I apologize for procrastinating; an update for the LP should be available soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

A Retrospective - Some Closing Comments And An End To The Thread

I really enjoy Advance Wars. I really enjoyed doing this thread as well, as my first LP on the subforums. However, I don't think I can bring myself to do any more updates for the thread. Considering this is the last major post I am going to make for this LP, I think I might as well go over a few things which I actually managed to learn about the game from this thread, and doing the various commentaries that I have on everybody's games:

Unit and CO bans: When I first issued the banlist for the thread, I was thinking along the lines of how I could make the games more convenient, more entertaining, and less one-sided for the players who were participating in the tournament aspect of this thread. When I banned Nell, it was to minimize any computer-based inputs into each players's skill levels, and I don't regret that decision. I don't regret banning the commonly 5 banned COs either, as Grit would have made chokepoints a game which he would always end out the victor, Colin would ensure that his units would outclass his opponents far too greatly by the mid-game, Sensei would have an automatic infantry advantage and overwhelm with foot soldiers, Kanbei's 130/130 stats and SCOP would lead to points where opponents couldn't attack him, and Hachi would Merchant Union an automatic victory (as we saw in the first exhibition match update).

What I do regret, however, is the banning of black bombs and stealth fighters. Initially, I banned the two because stealth fighters would have such an overwhelming advantage over the board with their ability to cloak themselves from anti-air fire (as well as make things harder for me to screenshot), while black bombs would prevent anybody from setting up a good defensive wall along any given chokepoint, as a good amount of black bombs could dent a wall and make it collapse on top of itself. I then realized why Intelligent Systems built these two units in the first place: anti-air units are too good at taking down air units, and creating chokepoints in Advance Wars is too powerful a strategy. Seeing people use anti-airs to completely remove the air-game in the tournament and in exhibition matches taught me of the former, and seeing chokepoints become almost impossible to break through taught me the latter. If the two units were unbanned, I don't think they'd cause too many problems either due to their costs. I guess Intelligent Systems thought this out far better than I did!

Technical Issues: AWBW erases its games in anywhere from 3 weeks to 1 month after the games are completed. This has led me to push out updates even when I was at my most lazy, giving me a good work ethic and a strong update schedule as the thread continued. The biggest problems that seemed to arise were when AWBW was still on its old hosting, as the replays would constantly break, the site would constantly experience errors like the one you'll see in the OP image, and games would disappear in the middle of downtimes. This caused a lot of frustration for players in the middle of the tournament, but also led to one of the best updates in the thread (which I will be talking about later).

When Amarriner switched the hosting, this thread went way more swimmingly than I could have possibly thought it could have done. I was expecting to experience more Murphy's Law-like situations where I would have had to make some really strange reconstructions of previous events just to get some updates out there into the open. Most infamously, I had JunpeiHyde and Endorph restart their game in the first round of the tournament as their replay broke on the game that they ended out playing on. Thankfully, the both of them were good sports about doing so, and they provided me an update that I used in their match in the first round of the tournament.

As for actually creating screenshots, I put in a rather small amount of effort for doing so. Rather than capture every last screenshot in any given replay, I actually went to the website, used the screenshot feature (when available) to capture the images, and wrote the updates in real time so that I didn't know what was going on in the middle of a game. I wanted to have a sense of genuine surprise going forward into every update so that whenever I wrote something out, I could actually make predictions and think things out in real time as the players in the thread were doing. I received the suggestion multiple times to not do the updates this way, but I stubbornly refused mainly due to laziness and not wanting to know how matches would play out going into writing the updates. I think if I were to do it over again, I would have taken a different approach to the updates, and listened to those few people. I should download a copy of GIMP and practice with it as well: newcomers could have probably used a bit of help knowing what was going on.

Personal Opinions: Beyond the last few commentaries getting a bit tedious due to similar strategies being used in the last few matches, there were a few matches which really caught my eye throughout the tournament. The finals in particular came to mind, as a single charged Victory March, as well as an open path led to what was an even match turning into one of the shortest matches in the tournament, and an opening so simple changing so much in the game in particular. Endorph blocking off JunpeiHyde's airport in the first round with the t-copter gave me a chuckle or two as I was writing about it, as I found that something so ridiculous actually working made so much difference in how the match played out.

I really began enjoying the matches more in round 2, with the matches lasting a bit longer and some more advanced tactics being used down the road. With how fast Paul and Keiya managed to get through their first rounds, I think their matchup was the one I was anticipating the most in round 2. Rachel didn't exactly work out for that round, though, which makes me think: if Intelligent Systems did another Advance Wars in this universe, how would things be better balanced for a more competitive venture between COs? There are various COs who are obviously better in Advance Wars than others, and I believe a lot of the balancing issues between those COs were oddly enough fixed in the least balanced game in the franchise, Dual Strike. However, the Dual Strike mechanic itself just threw all of Intelligent Systems's good ideas out the window in favor of matches which lasted no more than a few turns due to the busted mechanic (which is why I didn't use the Dual Strike format in this tournament).

I was hoping that we would have seen more intense naval and air combat in the LP. Sadly, that was reglegated to battle copters mainly. A part of that is my fault for banning stealths and b-bombs. Another part is on Intelligent Systems for not exactly balancing those units that well in the initial game testing, as I find naval units to be far too expensive, and air units to be far too frail in the advent of anti-airs.

The overuse of Sami made me want to ban her many times over, but I held off on that because I'm nice and compassionate towards machine-gun wielding redheads.

Special Thanks:

• Paul.Power: For inspiring the thread, coming up with the original idea for the thread, and for creating Advance Wars LPs which far outclass my own. If you haven't read those LPs, then go to the archive and check them out.
  • GameroftheGame: For doing the accurate-as-can-be reconstruction of the final parts of the match between Cake Attack and TheMcD in the first round.
  • Endorph: For giving me advice on how to go about doing some of the LP updates whenever I asked, and for providing some help when doing some of the updates later on in the thread. Also, for being a good pal.
  • Einwand: For kicking my rear end a repeated amount of times in some exhibition matches, and get me back into the swing of the game.
  • Cake Attack: For showing up into the thread on such short notice when another participant had to leave.
  • FactsAreUseless: For answering my PMs so swiftly and getting the prize ready for the tournament winner.
  • The Rest of the Tournament Participants: To name them, JunpeiHyde, Kennyman666, Ptarmigans, Keiya, Zemyla, TheMcD, Gnoman, Aston, Monk E, Successful Student, Doctor Reynolds and Anticheese. They put time away in their schedules to actually partake in this LP and leave me with some good material to write about.
  • The Employees of Intelligent Systems and Nintendo: For making and releasing the original games in the series. Where's my 3DS Advance Wars, guys?
  • Amarriner: For maintaining this site out of pocket. I know the code's old, but he's keeping Advance Wars's multiplayer indirectly alive by giving us this client, as well as added in a slew of features to keep the game fresh and interesting.
  • You: For reading this thread. I'm so glad this came out with so many views and such good reception along the way. You guys have been the best!

Either way, I guess that's it from me. Thanks for reading this thread, and I hope to see you guys another time!

Slur fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jul 24, 2016

• Locked thread