Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
I'm in now. Slur sure picked an, um, interesting map. I'm not sure if I made the right CO call, but it should be funny anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

TheMcD posted:

I'm a fan of the battleship in the inland sea. It gives you a strong ranged attack that the opponent can't really touch without using the airport on the other side of the map. Expensive, but might make a good deterrent.

It's got a range of five tiles. Effectively four because of the shoals.

IT HAS NOTHING TO HIT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Picking Sturm just doesn't seem sporting.
he isn't banned or anything. von bolt's d2d and scop are probably stronger on most maps.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

sturm is pretty cool but also kind of one trick and that one trick pays the price of having anemic attacks and basically no CO power

he's the dude who rushes forward to set up a defensive line and is a pain to kick off but he can't really push your poo poo in, either. he's france.

playing sturm is being french.

:france:

he's pretty fun on FOW tho, just random surprise recons everywhere

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Gamerofthegame posted:

playing sturm is being french.

:france:

Fanart please.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

KennyMan666 posted:

Maybe do it in some different way. Like, wait until these two rounds are over too, and take the four that's been knocked out and do a 4-player FFA or a 2v2. Or game with fog, but that requires remembering it was fog when posting the screenshots from the replay.
Hmm, 2v2 could be neat, and then the winning teams from the two 2v2 matches face each other in another 2v2. I'll see how it goes.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Gamerofthegame posted:

It's got a range of five tiles. Effectively four because of the shoals.

IT HAS NOTHING TO HIT
Range of 2-6, actually. When placed next to a shoal, the shoal is the only place it won't be able to hit. It's just one tile short of being able to hit the factory. It's adds a pretty drat decent line of defense, and means any properties within range of it are going to be mine. Built it because I had over forty thousand funds to burn and it's not like I'm going to be building much in terms of other expensive units as Sami.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Now I think about it, there's an interesting advantage to having a battleship in a lake over one in the open seas (on a land/navy/air map, anyway).

See, air generally beats navy because unless you have enough funding for an aircraft carrier, cruisers are your only anti-air naval option and they are at best in a fair fight with B copters thanks to their cost and their middling defence against choppers. But land beats air because AA are much cheaper than cruisers, and it would be suicide to send a B copter up against one at full health. So by having a battleship surrounded by mostly land, you're trading battleship mobility (oh well, it's a battleship: you find a place you want to park it and ideally you'll rarely have to move it) for air units having to cross more potentially hostile terrain to get at it. There's even the added wrinkle here of only one port per lake, so Doctor Reynolds can't build subs or their own battleship for the job.

And there's another leg to this triangle: battleships generally beat land. They can outrange and out-tank rockets and artillery, and nothing else poses a major threat to them. They make for great fire support (as Slur demonstrated in his game against me... uh, if you use your imagination to reconstruct the lost turns...) and are a huge pain to take down (which gives them an edge over, say, powerful but fragile bombers).

The gamble for Kennyman here, though, is can he use that battleship to gain control of the land to the east of the lake (and thus set AA up there) before copters arrive? Doctor Reynolds looks pretty well positioned (then again, everyone looks pretty well positioned at the end of their turn :v:)

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

It's looking pretty bad for me either way, and I have a few theories as to why I'm getting beaten on. I haven't played 1v1 in forever and I'm not sure if I've ever actually played Sami vs. Sami. The LP of the match will be interesting for me too because it might explain how reynolds managed to cover that much ground while I was like "Okay what actually happened?" and shaking my head at the Sami player who built tanks. Going to enjoy watching that rocket moving through plains, two spaces at a time, though.

Chief for me is probably the fact that the factories are so far from each other on this map. I'm used to having 2-3 factories fairly close to each other, which supports my clusters of mechs in front of indirects strategy - but that doesn't work here, and I started building artillery and mechs too late as well as spreading the units I did have too thin to try to capture properties.

But such is life, and in the end Reynolds is probably just a better AW player than me. I only act like I'm actually good at this game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

shaking my head at the Sami player who built tanks
Tanks are still a very useful unit with high movement that can easily destroy rockets and artillery. It's not like being slightly weaker means they're literally unusable or something. The only COs whose weak units are literally unusable IMO are Max's indirects, Drake's air force, and Eagle's navy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Grimm's everything?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

grimm is decent? he likes pretty final destination maps with little terrain and no comm towers, but if he gets first strike in a big engagement he just straight-up wins. Getting 1hkos on infantry with his tanks is a big deal.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

Grimm's everything?

Guess that defense penalty is really painful, huh?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Guess that defense penalty is really painful, huh?
I always thought so, but it's been quite a while since I played AWDS and never really played against humans. If people say he's decent, he's decent, I just never managed to get him work. I know he hates anything that hinders movement and can just fold and collapse on bad weather.
Which is a shame because he seems to play like a not-boring Max.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 17, 2016

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Endorph posted:

Tanks are still a very useful unit with high movement that can easily destroy rockets and artillery.
The reason I didn't understand why tanks were being built was because the only units in play at the time were infantry, and the capturing game was still going on. A recon would have made more sense, or even better, an anti-air. Identical movement to a tank, eats infantry and will later be of use against air units.

'course, me not taking the tanks seriously could have played into why I didn't start building mechs and artillery earlier. On the flip side, that's how I got enough funds to justify a battleship.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

KennyMan666 posted:

The reason I didn't understand why tanks were being built was because the only units in play at the time were infantry, and the capturing game was still going on. A recon would have made more sense, or even better, an anti-air. Identical movement to a tank, eats infantry and will later be of use against air units.
Anti-airs are more expensive and do less to the artillery you're definitely going to build, and recons have their movement demolished by the terrain on the map.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Additionally, Sami recons might not do enough to properly disrupt Sami's infantry with their capture bonus, so maybe that's why Reynolds went straight for the tank option. Recon rushes work best with someone with good stats for them, like Max or Jess or even Grimm, and Sami is better equipped to shrug them off than most with her capture bonus. And if I'm being honest, they also work best in AWDS as opposed to AWBW :v:.

The best unit to fight footsoldiers with isn't so much AA as it is your own footsoldiers. Especially if you're Sami.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 17, 2016

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Trasson posted:

I'm in now. Slur sure picked an, um, interesting map. I'm not sure if I made the right CO call, but it should be funny anyway.

Alright, I started the game. So we've got Olaf vs. Kindle in this leg of the tournament. Should be interesting.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oooh. Whoever is running Olaf has just become my favorite player.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

minus sami vs sami, CO variety has been pretty high.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Endorph posted:

minus sami vs sami, CO variety has been pretty high.

A part of me is tempted to make it so players cannot choose the same CO twice, but I'm not sure how that'd go over with everyone here. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Slur posted:

A part of me is tempted to make it so players cannot choose the same CO twice, but I'm not sure how that'd go over with everyone here. Does anyone have any opinions on this?

Doing it mid-round 1 is not the correct time to make that rule.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

Wouldn't that require the first player to declare what CO they were using and give the other player a chance to do some kind of counterpick, if possible?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Istvun posted:

Doing it mid-round 1 is not the correct time to make that rule.

TheMcD posted:

Wouldn't that require the first player to declare what CO they were using and give the other player a chance to do some kind of counterpick, if possible?

Sorry, I should clarify:

If someone chooses a CO in the first round, they cannot choose that same CO in the second round, and so on.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Slur posted:

Sorry, I should clarify:

If someone chooses a CO in the first round, they cannot choose that same CO in the second round, and so on.

I wondered if you meant that. I don't think that would be too great an idea - the map should dictate the CO you pick, if you want to go against that by picking somebody you just like (like me with Olaf, the smart pick on that map would have probably been Lash), then why not?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Slur posted:

Sorry, I should clarify:

That sounds like it would be really frustrating if you "waste" a CO that's well suited to a given map because you happened to choose them in the previous round. Better to leave it alone and just let the dubious balance that is Advance Wars COs shine.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

variety has already been high enough, i dont know why you'd need to introduce a rule to encourage variety when it's already doing okay

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

I'm glad I got to hear some opinions on the matter. I won't change anything then.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

hey that's my gimmick

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I want someone to rock Sonja, she was always one of my favorites to play despite being terrible (drat you luck :argh:), her SCOP is some unique silliness that isn't really replicated elsewhere.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think they're playing without the fog of war so there's not much chance of that happening.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Tanks do 0% to Battleships apparently. Whoops.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Hey, you might get lucky!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Behold, the reason why battleships like that are cool.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

Hey, you might get lucky!

It's why I made the attack anyway. No B button in AWBW!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

I want someone to rock Sonja, she was always one of my favorites to play despite being terrible (drat you luck :argh:), her SCOP is some unique silliness that isn't really replicated elsewhere.

Sonja isn't even outstanding in FoW. Her gimmicks are increased vision, seeing through forest/reefs and counter attacks. Flip over to Sturm and having recons running around at fullspeed and who's the FoW CO again???

Seeing into forests is cool, but that's also a CO power.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Unless you're Flak!

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If the Finals aren't a combination of Flak and Jugger, you have failed this thread.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

Sonja isn't even outstanding in FoW. Her gimmicks are increased vision, seeing through forest/reefs and counter attacks. Flip over to Sturm and having recons running around at fullspeed and who's the FoW CO again???

Seeing into forests is cool, but that's also a CO power.

Sonja would be at least okayish even outside of FoW if it weren't for her luck rolls, that more than anything is the crushing blow against her viability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Sonja would be at least okayish even outside of FoW if it weren't for her luck rolls, that more than anything is the crushing blow against her viability.

even then that's sturm's thing, being a defensive powerhouse.

Hmmmm...

Doesn't Sonja get kidnapped in AW1? While Sturm runs amuck???? Makes you think!

• Locked thread