Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

rejutka posted:

People know gently caress all because they can just look it up and thus do not bother remembering anything.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. When I first started teaching, 25 years ago, there were basically three sources of information: I could tell the kids the information, they could use text books or one of the reference books in the back of my classroom, or they could go to the library and look up the info there. Now, most of my students carry a reference library with them, in the form of a smartphone. And with all of the news feeds available, we can get up-to-the-minute updates on various topics.

For example, just a couple of weeks ago, it was announced that three new elements were given official status and the process of naming them had begun. 25 years ago, we might not have heard about this until the new textbooks came out. However, last week we were able to watch a video of chemists discussing the implications of the new elements, just days after the announcement.

The tough part is coming up with questions that are "google proof", forcing the kids to do more than just put the question into their phones.

The presence of smartphones and other technology is really changing the way we teach.

Genesplicer fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 5, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

genesplicer posted:

The tough part is coming up with questions that are "google proof", forcing the kids to do more than just put the question into their phones.

The presence of smartphones and other technology is reall changing the way we teach.
Closed (or restricted open) book quizes/tests are about the only way to stop that while assigning almost negligible grade % to homework is about the only way to circumvent that. Which again goes back to not-actually-learning but learning how to find stuff for the moment. Pretty much every question you could possibly ask for everything hs through even low graduate school is google-ble, just depends on how much effort they take into rewriting it as to not appear blatant plagiarism.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

Xaris posted:

Closed (or restricted open) book quizes/tests are about the only way to stop that while assigning almost negligible grade % to homework is about the only way to circumvent that. Which again goes back to not-actually-learning but learning how to find stuff for the moment. Pretty much every question you could possibly ask for everything hs through even low graduate school is google-ble, just depends on how much effort they take into rewriting it as to not appear blatant plagiarism.

The current line of thought is to give them problems to solve where they have to find the information online, then use it in some creative way. Finding information is no longer a huge skill, thanks to google. Using the information is the skill.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

genesplicer posted:

The current line of thought is to give them problems to solve where they have to find the information online, then use it in some creative way. Finding information is no longer a huge skill, thanks to google. Using the information is the skill.

should show them advertising or a news story or a too-good-to-be-true credit card offer and teach them how to read the fine print or otherwise detect bullshit imo

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

genesplicer posted:

That's not necessarily a bad thing. When I first started teaching, 25 years ago, there were basically three sources of information: I could tell the kids the information, they could use text books or one of the reference books in the back of my classroom, or they could go to the library and look up the info there. Now, most of my students carry a reference library with them, in the form of a smartphone. And with all of the news feeds available, we can get up-to-the-minute updates on various topics.

For example, just a couple of weeks ago, it was announced that three new elements were given official status and the process of naming them had begun. 25 years ago, we might not have heard about this until the new textbooks came out. However, last week we were able to watch a video of chemists discussing the implications of the new elements, just days after the announcement.

The presence of smartphones and other technology is really changing the way we teach.

The problem is, it's not wrong. It is, ideally, can look poo poo up. The problem is no-one looks at it like that that. We have a generation just looks poo poo up on the internet. They don't remember anything because why would you bother, I can look poo poo up. I know it as Iconeracy, dunno what you know it as. Explain to me why you want a disposable generation?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

rejutka posted:

The problem is, it's not wrong. It is, ideally, can look poo poo up. The problem is no-one looks at it like that that. We have a generation just looks poo poo up on the internet. They don't remember anything because why would you bother, I can look poo poo up. I know it as Iconeracy, dunno what you know it as. Explain to me why you want a disposable generation?

it is important that we teach our children how to fish for bog ore and make backyard bloomeries, you know just in case industrial society stops working and they need to make some tools. people are far too dependent on manufactured goods, no one knows how to make anything any more!

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Rutibex posted:

it is important that we teach our children how to fish for bog ore and make backyard bloomeries, you know just in case industrial society stops working and they need to make some tools. people are far too dependent on manufactured goods, no one knows how to make anything any more!

Go be a oval office somewhere else. How hard is it to understand people should be able to understand and retain things? In this era, it is piss-easy to understand things because you can just plain look them up? They don't even understand things, what you get is a broken, incohesive thing where, gimme a minute *looks poo poo up* then they don't remember that. Those are disposable people. Why would you put any more effort into raising people who know stuff as opposed to people who can look poo poo up? One is just plain cheaper.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

rejutka posted:

They don't even understand things, what you get is a broken, incohesive thing where, gimme a minute *looks poo poo up* then they don't remember that. Those are disposable people.

Yah, Get rid of all the Lawyers!

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

rejutka posted:

Go be a oval office somewhere else. How hard is it to understand people should be able to understand and retain things? In this era, it is piss-easy to understand things because you can just plain look them up? They don't even understand things, what you get is a broken, incohesive thing where, gimme a minute *looks poo poo up* then they don't remember that. Those are disposable people. Why would you put any more effort into raising people who know stuff as opposed to people who can look poo poo up? One is just plain cheaper.

Well you wrote that its easy to understand things by looking them up and also that people dont understand things because they look them up. Obviously this is a little contradictory, and I think the genreal consensus is that there is a difference between locating information and presenting information in a way that demonstrates comprehension and mastery.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I find that often when I look something up I remember it. Strange I know.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

genesplicer posted:

Sounds like Fizz buzz (ignore the Kata bullshit). nevermind, just read the original

An astounding number of interviewees fail this.

e: to summarize the relation:

quote:

After a fair bit of trial and error I've discovered that people who struggle to code don't just struggle on big problems, or even smallish problems (i.e. write a implementation of a linked list). They struggle with tiny problems.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 5, 2016

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Ocean Book posted:

Well you wrote that its easy to understand things by looking them up and also that people dont understand things because they look them up.

No, no it ain't. :(

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
back in the day it took an elaborate series of mirrors perfectly positioned if i wanted to jack it while taking a poo.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

rejutka posted:

not retaining information you read is called being a moron and welp you're gonna run into problems no matter how you get that information if you're nearing retarded

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Yes, that is my basic position, yes, thank you for agreeing with me, we are both on a losing, horrendous poo poo.-stain of a thing, yes.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Ocean Book posted:

Well you wrote that its easy to understand things by looking them up and also that people dont understand things because they look them up. Obviously this is a little contradictory, and I think the genreal consensus is that there is a difference between locating information and presenting information in a way that demonstrates comprehension and mastery.

not to mention the fact that being able to be creative or spot patterns during problem-sovling requires that you have learned and processed the information first. you can't build off of stuff if you don't know it exists

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

VendaGoat posted:

You mean humans, document, knowledge?

REALLY?!

Lol i mean like imagine life before the internet. People didn't have any way tos tore knowledge or look things up. Man dark times.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I teach kids on a daily basis who have over a decade of math experience and still can't tell the square root of 64 without a calculator.

crotchgobbler
Jul 25, 2007

im an 07 lol

rejutka posted:

Socrates posted:

[Writing] will create forgetfulness in the learners’ souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality.

Literally you right now!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

satanic splash-back posted:

I teach kids on a daily basis who have over a decade of math experience and still can't tell the square root of 64 without a calculator.

:psyduck: it's loving 8, I haven't taken a math class in over 10 years and I know that, what the gently caress

I blame the new math system they teach now. Memorizing multiplication tables is where it's at.

On the other hand Technology is good because people film disasters while they're happening so police and such get first hand evidence, also the public gets to see the footage, which is cool.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
You can have a conversation with someone across the world while taking a poop.

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Nooner posted:

:synpa:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

No content. Dumb move...

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Trash Ops posted:

No content. Dumb move...
it's nooner, he doesn't give a poo poo

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

c'mon genie let nooner do the snipe. its his thing

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Microwaves Mom posted:

You can have a conversation with someone across the world while taking a poop.

Eh you could do that back when people wrote letters. Now the thing is they might accidentally find out in real time because your phone's mic picks up a splosher

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

:psyduck: it's loving 8, I haven't taken a math class in over 10 years and I know that, what the gently caress

well kids that grew up in the 80s and 90s have have more experience with numbers like 8, 16, and 64 cause it was important to know how many bits something had

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
you can jerk it to some tranny in the Philippines while telling her what to do.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

symbolic posted:

i can use Youtube to go from searching In Flames songs to watching the history of fatal NASCAR crashes

what a great world

this is my saturday morning btw

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

electro-smog is real

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

VikingSkull posted:

this is my saturday morning btw
that was my sunday night/monday early morning

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Ape Fist posted:

Bar arguments which keep people talking and sociable all night are now easily solved with a quick google search.

Yaaaay.

The iPhone came out my third year of college and looking back it's actually pretty interesting watching the change. Before then, we'd get drunk and get into arguments about stupid poo poo and the only way to resolve it was to check a computer if you were at someone's house/apartment or just eventually change subjects if you were at a bar.

Then the iPhone came out, and only a few people initially had them. We'd get into the same drunken arguments about stupid poo poo, go on for like 5-10 minutes until somebody with one remembered "oh poo poo! I have google on this!" and we'd google it. It was so novel and fun at the time -- like... we're really living in the future!

Cut to now and you really don't have those same fun stupid drunken arguments anymore 'cause everybody has a smartphone and some dickweed is just going to search for the answer 5 seconds after the question is posed. It's not novel or fun anymore, it's making us retarded and boring.

Fruit-by-the-Foot Fetish
Aug 3, 2012

rejutka posted:

fine tautology, bog-boy

please report promptly to your nearest dump for disposal

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
You think your parents photo albums are bad

Wait until our grand kids get access to our shitposts and emails and Facebook feeds for literally decades

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have like 20k emails in my gmail stretching only back to 2004 and that's some loving insane context for so much stuff

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

rejutka posted:

Try watching an episode of Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader sometime, most of the contestants didn't grow up with smartphones everywhere so your idiotic critique of modern society cannot explain the failure of their memories. Also I like how it's apparently more important to know when Franz Ferdinand was shot than to know that it was what kicked off World War I and why it did, that's totally the more important and relevant thing to a person's full understanding of history to try and retain for sure.

white mans burping
Feb 24, 2015

BigBoss posted:

Think about a hot girl you know. Is she under 35? Thanks to the ubiquity of cameras on phones, there's like a 95% chance that sexy pictures of her exist somewhere.

You can now communicate essential information with people you really don't want to get sucked into a conversation with by using texts.

If you need to know how to do something, you can just look on Youtube for a video on how to do it. This goes for cooking, fixing poo poo, whateve

these arent side effects you idiot these are the main event, the whole loving raison d'etre of technology

jfc you people how do you even remember to breath

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
Every woman is half bald which is hot some of the dudes have become women which is also deece and the drugs are pretty sweet you can inhale pure weed gas now seems fine to me

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
I feel super futuristic carrying around a small black monolith looking thing that has access to the collective knowledge of mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

thanks to texting i can fulfill my girlfriend's need for constant attention without having to be on the phone for literally my entire life

• Locked thread