Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

gary oldmans diary posted:

why is it surgeon general why cant it be surgeon generaless

why isn't it sturgeon general? as though a fish is not equal to a man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
women are so dumb they think a suggestion to not drink if you are at risk of pregnancy is a personal attack and/or somehow diminishes their right of choice

you know it's been years since I've had any serious questions about why I am obsessed with my gay sexuality

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Roberto_Silencio posted:

shut the gently caress up

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Roberto_Silencio posted:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

mdm posted:

women are so dumb they think a suggestion to not drink if you are at risk of pregnancy is a personal attack and/or somehow diminishes their right of choice

you know it's been years since I've had any serious questions about why I am obsessed with my gay sexuality

When I mentioned I felt like it was aimed at people who would keep accidental pregnancies I was told that women's bodies aren't an incubator and that the CDC is run by men so it's trying to oppress women into becoming that. Oh, and also that I should join the sisterhood of feminism "for your own safety". This was angrily snarled at me by imgur folks.

As a woman, I guess I'm so oppressed that I don't even realize it anymore. No wonder my back hurts, getting all this oppressing happening and poo poo. (I am never going to make the feminist cut)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Roberto_Silencio posted:

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Roberto_Silencio posted:

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Roberto_Silencio posted:

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Nooner posted:

i poo poo my pants again :sigh:

i poo poo his pants too

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
who cares just vacuum them out if theyre deformed imho

The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster
I have considered how sexist the CDC is and come to the conclusion... It's not terribly sexist. Hope that helps.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
don't judge me, I'm just speeding up evolution

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Wait until the female gender community hears about this.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
This is almost as sexist as the joke memes made about bernie vs hillary.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Tom Gorman posted:

research related press releases from mayo clinic are the buzzfeed of academic medicine

pass the mayo eyyyyy

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lamebot posted:

pass the mayo eyyyyy

roflcopter :)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I love my fetal alcohol syndrome baby and if you were a real feminist you would too

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
im livin in the fas lane baby

lDDQD
Apr 16, 2006
The plural of "surgeon general" is surgeons general. Which are what this thread is about now. Who among the many surgeons general is your favorite, and why?

lDDQD fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Feb 4, 2016

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Not to get Helldumpy but ArbitraryC has consistently popped up in threads about Nice Guys white knighting them, I'm honestly not surprised he made this thread

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Who voted this thread up from crap?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Normally I'd just assume the OP was speaking ironically but based on past discussions with OP there's an actual possibility that they're being sincere and actually believe the CDC is being sexist by stating facts.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

shame on me for seriousposting in ArbitraryC's feeble troll thread, but I agree with the CDC's recommendations and think their news release has been widely misinterpreted by morons, although it's not hard to see why people are upset about it

Applewhite posted:

Normally I'd just assume the OP was speaking ironically but based on past discussions with OP there's an actual possibility that they're being sincere and actually believe the CDC is being sexist by stating facts.

there's zero chance of that lol

Troutful fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Feb 4, 2016

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i have aids

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder if there's been any studies on how this "offended by facts" approach has affected support of feminism

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Real post incoming, but I don't think people will really misinterpret what the CDC is trying to say. Jezebel is basically in the business of clickbait and I would hope that most users wouldn't just take their articles at face value (like a lot of the Gawker network, buzzfeed, and listicles).

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
who even listens to medical advice anyway

yeah sure ill stop drinking anything more than a pint a day and stop eating sausages and red meat because some egghead said i had a chance of living slightly longer :rolleyes:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Roberto_Silencio posted:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Applewhite posted:

It was honestly just something circulating my facebook last night that I thought was so ridiculous I just had to post it. There are in fact people who genuinely agree with that jezebel article though.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
I'm a drunk gay baby

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Everyone should be shamed for everything because everything is your fault and you should feel terrible about it. The smart choice is to become a sociopath and divorce yourself from empathy.

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
No OP I haven't considered how sexist the CDC is, I hope this answers your question because I didn't read your post

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

ArbitraryC posted:

It was honestly just something circulating my facebook last night that I thought was so ridiculous I just had to post it. There are in fact people who genuinely agree with that jezebel article though.

Thank you for sharing your Facebook feed with GBS.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
I always felt like of course you shouldn't blame a victim that's loving stupid

but on the other hand if you wander into a known active warzone and get shot it's kinda like well you know surely SOME of the responsibility is on you? like consequences for your decisions and whatnot? like if I go into Raqqa and get killed for being a white American isn't that kinda on me just a little bit at least?

is CDC sexist or are they just stating facts? Are the facts sexist?

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001
I think these CDC guidelines are pretty badly shaming retard babies, maybe they should check their privilege

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Roberto_Silencio posted:

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

FishionMailed posted:

is CDC sexist or are they just stating facts? Are the facts sexist?
While i originally intended this thread to be a joke it obviously wasn't funny so who cares; i'll be a bit serious. The beef people had with the anouncement isn't so much victim shaming as the misguided notion that the cdc and mayo clinic were attempting to police women's bodies and behavior by discussing the rise in fetal alcohol syndrome and ways to avoid it. The cdc basically said "hey if you're having risky sex and drinking heavily you might get a disabled baby, there's beens been a spike in cases of this and we should try to avoid it" and then the same kind of people who think doctors telling you to lose weight is sexist bodyshaming got angry about the cdc "judging" their behavior.

I personally thought this was so ridiculous it was funny, but instead it just made for a bad thread and i should feel bad.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

ArbitraryC posted:

While i originally intended this thread to be a joke it obviously wasn't funny so who cares; i'll be a bit serious. The beef people had with the anouncement isn't so much victim shaming as the misguided notion that the cdc and mayo clinic were attempting to police women's bodies and behavior by discussing the rise in fetal alcohol syndrome and ways to avoid it. The cdc basically said "hey if you're having risky sex and drinking heavily you might get a disabled baby, there's beens been a spike in cases of this and we should try to avoid it" and then the same kind of people who think doctors telling you to lose weight is sexist bodyshaming got angry about the cdc "judging" their behavior.

I personally thought this was so ridiculous it was funny, but instead it just made for a bad thread and i should feel bad.

It is ridiculous/funny but there's a significant chunk of people that think that.

That's kinda why I was like well victim blaming is bad but where does personal responsibility begin? How can you be mad at CDC for saying 'risky sex and drinking can lead to birth defects, if you are having kids please be careful?' Like I don't think they really even give a poo poo about your personal decision making, they're just saying.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Fill her cream hole with your drill pole and let her poo poo out them alchy babies imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Didn't the cdc actually say that if you engage in risky behavior like getting wasted and foolin around then you should be on birth control in order to avoid alcoholic babies?

That's slightly more intrusive than just highlighting the risk.

• Locked thread