Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Eh, I'll just kill the idea for now. Thanks for the feedback though, even if it was calling out failings. Especially so, since it helps me fix them.

Speaking of fixing fuckups, I may or may not have gotten a bit of a hardware upgrade so videos will no longer look like:

and will instead look like:

Unfortunately you'll have to deal with the lovely quality a bit longer because I recorded the last of AC2 on the old PS2, but from now on, it'll be on a BC PS3 for the rest of the series.

(Unless I come into a windfall and do the last of the series in ultra hi def emulation on a 2000 dollar super rig)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That is an upgrade. I really like that "neat" look games had when devs could really expend polygons on too much greebling so long at there weren't human models involved because those really look bad without tons of polygons.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

God, but do I hate April Fool's.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

(Unless I come into a windfall and do the last of the series in ultra hi def emulation on a 2000 dollar super rig)

There's some weird interface texture issues that I run into when doing this that I haven't quite been able to work out, but it ends up looking really nice, yeah.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
What am I looking at? Is the joke that armored core is an H-game or something?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

SugarAddict posted:

What am I looking at? Is the joke that armored core is an H-game or something?

Nah, Armored Core anime made by Production I.G who are rather famous for stuff like Ghost in the Shell SAC, FLCL, and whole bunch of other series.
They did also do the cutscenes for Ace Combat 3, something which I either didn't know or had forgotten.

ModeWondershot
Dec 30, 2014

Portu-geezer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

God, but do I hate April Fool's.

I hear you, I want Chargeman Ken back too.

Also, I'm pretty sure people have tried to adapt Armored Core into an anime in the 2000s before, but it never seems to have taken off despite its apparent popularity amongst Japanese gamers.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I can't say I hate today enough. Seriously.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

April Fool's is the worst thing. At least it isn't google's little gmail joke under the send button where the misclick rate must be zero.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Episode 12 - Nine Breaker

Today's guests are Motoh and JaimeTheD once again, hitching a ride on the fame train to the top of the Arena with me, as we fight a series of complete and utter shitbirds.

The Animal posted:

Nine Breaker
Nine Breaker...he's not just another powerful opponent, he is the best of the best. Even though I gave it my all, I still couldn't defeat him.

But I know you can! Please, defeat Nine Breaker in my stead. Here,take this with you.

Ares posted:

-
I've been waiting. The sole purpose of my existence is to defeat you.

Nerves Concord posted:

To Nine Breaker
Congratulations.
You're now ranked number one in the Arena.
As an acknowledgement of this most impressive feat, we hereby bestow upon you the title of "Nine Breaker".

But the battle isn't over.
It can be lonely and boring at the top.

We truly hope a new and powerful opponent will come before you, and that you'll once again demonstrate your skill in battle.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Episode 13 - Part 1 - Leos Klein

I swear to God, if you guys aren't already sick of the Frighteners theme, you will be by the end of this. Thankfully we have the best track in the game to accompany some of my favorite missions, so you win some you lose some I guess.

But as we approach the finale, we have good ol' nine-gear crow along with us for the ride again, who finally made it to Ace Combat 2 in his own mega-series LP thing.

Nell Aulter posted:

Phobos
We've confirmed that Klein is headed for Phobos, one of the moons orbiting the Red Planet. It's believed Klein is headed for Phobos because the Martian Control System is located there.

Ruins of an ancient civilization have been discovered on Phobos previously, but they've remained untouched due to the great number of Disorder units there.

However, given Klein's current power, it's possible that he'll succeed in entering them.

It isn't known why Klein wants to access the control system, but it's believed his true objective lies there.

Boiled Wars Man

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Oh dear. All this talk of calculations and fake ACs leads me to think of another Raven too. :stare:

I swear to God, if he asks us what we wish, or talks to us about humans needing strict supervision, I'm going to scream.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
TL;DR context summary for those of us who got into this series on the PS2? Because all these callbacks are making me see the story in a different light.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

JamieTheD posted:

Oh dear. All this talk of calculations and fake ACs leads me to think of another Raven too. :stare:

I swear to God, if he asks us what we wish, or talks to us about humans needing strict supervision, I'm going to scream.

Leos Klein was a Ninebreaker and thus can't possibly be Nineball.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

TL;DR context summary for those of us who got into this series on the PS2? Because all these callbacks are making me see the story in a different light.

The super compressed version:

67-ish years before this game, humanity was trapped underground while the surface healed itself from the gigantic wars that were raging that nearly destroyed the planet. Humanity was secretly being controlled by a supercomputer that acted through the Corporations and the Ravens to "maintain order".

The main tool of that supercomputer was Hustler One in Nine-Ball, the top arena ranker, which was not an actual person, but a series of mass-produced ACs controlled by it. The Raven from Master of Arena destroyed the true body of Nine-Ball, known as Nine-Ball Seraph, and freed humanity from its control.

Anyways, part 2 should be up shortly, because I'm going to be a little displaced for the rest of the week, so pushing it out now is better than having it sit for a week or whatever.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Episode 13 - Part 2 - Phobos

And for the second part of the big plot finale, we still have nine-gear crow with us, as we get ready to take care of Klein once and for all.

Nell Aulter posted:

Raven
Klein has made it to Phobos.

His most likely target is the information contained within the Martian Control System. What does he gain from this information? What objective does it help him achieve?

Raven, you're the only one capable of finding out. I pray for your safe return.

F
Beatmask

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is it possible to find the Another Age stream? I feel like I was missing something with the references to it.

Also, 'Raven, where will you go? What will you do?' is easiest answered with 'Where the money is' and 'Kill people with a giant robot for the money.'

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Is it possible to find the Another Age stream? I feel like I was missing something with the references to it.

Crow posted a link to the archived stream but I actually just uploaded a version straight to my channel for shits and giggles

Do note that I go through to the special secret bosses past about 43 minutes in so if you don't wanna see those, best to stop about there.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

dis astranagant posted:

Leos Klein was a Ninebreaker and thus can't possibly be Nineball.

Except... We never really know what Leos Klein (Who yes, was the Master of Arena, according to officialdom) was trying to do. And he became exactly the kind of thing that Nine-Ball was. And he spouted much the same rhetoric. ACES explained it quite well, but I'd like to take it a teeny step further. Leos Klein didn't just have a change of heart. For all intents and purposes, he became the being he killed.

Ahhh well, at least that's over, and Ravens can get right back to what they were doing... A return to the old ways indeed! :haw:

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
I get kind of a vibe off of Klein's relationship towards Nineball as I do from, say, Ash in Alien towards the Xenomorph, that whole 'I admire its purity' thing. After nearly a century of being nothing but a hired murderer taking payouts from corporations, knowing he's the one who allowed their proliferation to get even worse, his whole plan reads like he's trying to put things back the way they were. Nineball's clarity of purpose had to seem refreshing after all the poo poo he was made to shovel.

And then you kill him in like five or six minutes because that's how Armored Core works, but still, it's a more nuanced characterization than we get from a lot of the villains in this series.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, it's not like there's anything good about the Raven's 'dream' of living free as mercenaries. The hero of AC2 is a hired gun who happily kills for whoever will pay them without a thought about the consequences. Had it not been for the Frighteners' Rebellion they'd have happily handed the world over to LCC and then likely worked for the inevitable rebels against them, then betrayed them again later when LCC made a sufficiently good offer.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That's the beauty of it, it's all about stacking paper and killing people and making sure the family business doesn't die out.

I get the feeling that Klein was a bit senile or not quite all there given his last lines.

(Also we should talk a bit about V and VD and why they were so disappointing.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

JamieTheD posted:

Except... We never really know what Leos Klein (Who yes, was the Master of Arena, according to officialdom) was trying to do. And he became exactly the kind of thing that Nine-Ball was. And he spouted much the same rhetoric. ACES explained it quite well, but I'd like to take it a teeny step further. Leos Klein didn't just have a change of heart. For all intents and purposes, he became the being he killed.

Quite literally, really. The first time you fight him 'in person' is in an area filled with mines, where a dummy version of himself decked out in a crimson and silver AC is waiting at the end to fight you. That's as close to the ending of Armored Core 1 as you can get without straight up reusing the level design.

Moreover, I didn't mention it in the video, but a lot of his dialogue is pulled straight from the first series, most notably him going "what do you wish", which is what you hear if you kill both Nine-Ball fakes in the Destroy Floating Mines mission in AC1.

Really though, I think the thing with him in the end is that, when he killed Seraph and brought an end to the oversight, I don't think he really knew what he was starting. He was just a kid, super pissed that his family was killed by the top ranked AC pilot, and he wanted revenge. I don't think he signed up to be this whole 'linchpin of a new age of corporate hell' thing, he just wanted and got his revenge, and things got way out of hand because of it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Except that it was already a corporate hell and that Nine-Ball was running it by the seat of its pants or even just looking at the end result and going "Well, I'll go with that.", letting Justice be fielded for example was insane. Leos Klein broke something that was already breaking apart and not fixing things anymore.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Justice?

And, yeah, the 'what is it that you wish?' line here always confused the gently caress out of me as a kid. I just chalked it up as a translation quirk or something back then.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Justice is the orbital weapon that caused most of the damage in the great destruction, Murakumo got their mitts on it, repaired it and tried to use it in the Chrome path of AC1.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's kind of a good question. The Raven has made enough money to survive on forever, at this point. Enough to buy the most powerful parts and assemble any AC they can dream of. Why are they still fighting for the right to keep killing? Why do they need more money?

I just suppose it's left to you to decide.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Night10194 posted:

It's kind of a good question. The Raven has made enough money to survive on forever, at this point. Enough to buy the most powerful parts and assemble any AC they can dream of. Why are they still fighting for the right to keep killing? Why do they need more money?

I just suppose it's left to you to decide.

Why? Well they can't swim in the credits yet, Scrooge McDuck style, thats probably the reason.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Clearly he needs seed money to start his own giant quasi-governmental corporation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

dis astranagant posted:

Clearly he needs seed money to start his own giant quasi-governmental corporation.

You know, that'd make a great villain. You get to the Evil CEO and discover OH poo poo, he's actually the last hyper-Raven and founded his empire on his personal blood money. And still has his robot.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

Night10194 posted:

You know, that'd make a great villain. You get to the Evil CEO and discover OH poo poo, he's actually the last hyper-Raven and founded his empire on his personal blood money. And still has his robot.

And has been continually upgrading said robot with hot prototype tech produced by his corporation, no less.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

IthilionTheBrave posted:

And has been continually upgrading said robot with hot prototype tech produced by his corporation, no less.

Why else would he build the corporation? Needs new parts.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hey guys sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. I've been dealing with some heavy poo poo, but not enough to kill my desire to play through this series for people on the internet. Unfortunately the universe seems to feel otherwise, because I've been dealing with a slew of technical problems, up to and including having my microphone die on me.

I suppose the tldr is that I've been really concerned about my content. I don't think I'm doing the game enough justice, and I'm not content with the quality I've been putting out. And for a series I love as much as this one, feeling like I'm not engaging people enough or putting out good enough content kind of eats me up inside. So while I deal with putting my personal life stuff back in order, I'll be taking a break for a bit to rethink my approach, and write better content and work on my speech so I can at least cut down on dead air and stuttering.

So don't worry, I'll be back to finish this up soon, just need some time to get my affairs fixed and make something I can be proud of instead of fumbling all over myself. At the very least though, I will have Armored Core 2 itself wrapped up with the rest of the road to 100% this week.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Hey, man, it's cool. Real life stuff takes priority over playing giant stompy robots for the internet

Also I dunno, I might just be biased, but I liked what you were putting out :shobon:

Hope everything works out for you in the end.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I really like what you've been putting out. I think I mentioned before, but your playstyle is so much radically different from how I played back as a kid - and better - that honestly seeing you play is like watching an entirely different game from what I remember. And that's awesome.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Hey guys sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. I've been dealing with some heavy poo poo, but not enough to kill my desire to play through this series for people on the internet. Unfortunately the universe seems to feel otherwise, because I've been dealing with a slew of technical problems, up to and including having my microphone die on me.

I suppose the tldr is that I've been really concerned about my content. I don't think I'm doing the game enough justice, and I'm not content with the quality I've been putting out. And for a series I love as much as this one, feeling like I'm not engaging people enough or putting out good enough content kind of eats me up inside. So while I deal with putting my personal life stuff back in order, I'll be taking a break for a bit to rethink my approach, and write better content and work on my speech so I can at least cut down on dead air and stuttering.

So don't worry, I'll be back to finish this up soon, just need some time to get my affairs fixed and make something I can be proud of instead of fumbling all over myself. At the very least though, I will have Armored Core 2 itself wrapped up with the rest of the road to 100% this week.
You're doing fine. If you're trying to judge it by the amount of activity in the thread or thread-views; remember that you're playing a niche giant robotgame that never had a large following, but a small, yet dedicated, cult-following. There aren't going to be many fans coming in completely clueless, but the level of information you're giving us in the Garage videos is fantastic, especially with the visual comparisons to aid in highlighting the differences those colorful numbers can make. You're demonstrating considerable skill at overcoming the game's challenges, and using a good variety of what the game makes available to you in order to show off as much as feasible. It's difficult to include the audience for a game such as this; there are branching paths, but not only do they converge to the same end, but the triggers for them are based on which companies you work for the most, your "reputation" among them being hidden from sight. Also, as I've learned during that one video I guested on, Commentary Is Hard™ :v:

Take your time dealing with your issues. You're giving us free entertainment edutainment, it's only been 15 days, and you're planning to hit the entire field of PS2 games. That's quite a lot. If you need a break, take one. If you feel you must improve, well, go for it, because there's always ways to improve, some obvious, some not-so, but there isn't a need to beat yourself up over it. I've seen other LPers state how unhappy they are at how something's turned out, even when it's great, so you're not alone, but as a handful of others have stated and now also myself, you've been putting out quality.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I like the robot game. I am bad at the robot game. Watching you clown the robot game is fun.

I don't really have much to add to the conversation so I lurk, and I'll keep an eye on the thread.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Seiren posted:

You're doing fine. If you're trying to judge it by the amount of activity in the thread or thread-views; remember that you're playing a niche giant robotgame that never had a large following, but a small, yet dedicated, cult-following. There aren't going to be many fans coming in completely clueless, but the level of information you're giving us in the Garage videos is fantastic, especially with the visual comparisons to aid in highlighting the differences those colorful numbers can make. You're demonstrating considerable skill at overcoming the game's challenges, and using a good variety of what the game makes available to you in order to show off as much as feasible. It's difficult to include the audience for a game such as this; there are branching paths, but not only do they converge to the same end, but the triggers for them are based on which companies you work for the most, your "reputation" among them being hidden from sight. Also, as I've learned during that one video I guested on, Commentary Is Hard™ :v:

Take your time dealing with your issues. You're giving us free entertainment edutainment, it's only been 15 days, and you're planning to hit the entire field of PS2 games. That's quite a lot. If you need a break, take one. If you feel you must improve, well, go for it, because there's always ways to improve, some obvious, some not-so, but there isn't a need to beat yourself up over it. I've seen other LPers state how unhappy they are at how something's turned out, even when it's great, so you're not alone, but as a handful of others have stated and now also myself, you've been putting out quality.

This, but I'm not retyping it to say the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

by vyelkin
Just going to echo the sentiment, really enjoyable LP so far.

• Locked thread