Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Why would you make a claim that's so easy to falsify?

There were 53,023 total incidents of gun violence in the USA in 2015. 4,372 of those incidents involved cops in some way (shooting or getting shot at).

Of those incidents that involved cops, 1140 ended in a cop killing someone (actually not all of these are gun deaths, but the vast majority are). Of those 1140 killed by cops, 303 were black. This would indicate that about 1,162 of the 4,372 incidents of gun violence with cops involved also involved at least one black person who wasn't a cop.

In 2013, there were 5,723 murder victims in the United States, 2,491 of them black.

You are massively more likely as an American of any race to be shot by a fellow citizen than by a cop.
You are bad at statistics, because you fail to take into account that cops are a tiny fraction of the total population, but account for 1/5 of the shooting deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

KING BONG posted:

Economic disaster (Recession)

Civil Rights (Police brutality, systemic racism, and riots)

Cold War 2.0 (Sort of)

Space Race ( I think North Korea just kicked that off. Their test launch wasn't as much about nuclear capabilities as it was of, "Hey, we can independently launch poo poo into space, let's hack the sun!"
The only thing we are missing is a World War. I'm hoping we dont get one and we kinda stick to this World World War Lite thing instead.

It's a pretty big stretch to compare the relatively mild modern versions of these events to the historical ones. Seems like some hyperbolic wishful think for A REVOLUTION on your part.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So far in this thread we have smaller district lines and back off of gun control as suggestions.

Anything else?

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

So far in this thread we have smaller district lines and back off of gun control as suggestions.

Anything else?

a long-term campaign of fighting for low level seats in local, state and municipal office. winning the presidency is great but ultimately to fix the country, somebody is going to have to go into the trenches and kick the tea partiers out of school boards and planning committees across the nation

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

punk rebel ecks posted:

Anything else?

Have Beyonce perform more Malcom X songs at the dem national convention

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"

Inferior Third Season posted:

You are bad at statistics, because you fail to take into account that cops are a tiny fraction of the total population, but account for 1/5 of the shooting deaths.

No, that's a perfectly valid observation, but it's a) not what Troika said, and b) insanely banal.

A person whose job it is to deal with violence and crime on behalf of the community is more likely to shoot someone than Joe Citizen. Wow, holy poo poo.

It didn't even occur to me that the original thesis was that trivial. I doubt there's a first world country in which that isn't true.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Smudgie Buggler posted:

No, that's a perfectly valid observation, but it's a) not what Troika said, and b) insanely banal.

A person whose job it is to deal with violence and crime on behalf of the community is more likely to shoot someone than Joe Citizen. Wow, holy poo poo.

It didn't even occur to me that the original thesis was that trivial. I doubt there's a first world country in which that isn't true.

That's as absurd as saying that the wealthy have most of the money, someone should stop all the crazy talk post haste

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'd actually be surprised if most western European police forces out-homiceded their populations.

Iceland's cops have killed what, like one person? Their total firearms murder rate can't be that high but I bet it's greater than one murder ever.

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 9, 2016

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

a long-term campaign of fighting for low level seats in local, state and municipal office. winning the presidency is great but ultimately to fix the country, somebody is going to have to go into the trenches and kick the tea partiers out of school boards and planning committees across the nation

Curbs. Just sayin. Gotta start somewhere. Most people don't have the chops to even discuss universal healthcare. Perhaps curbs , even segway into drainage/sewer systems that those curbs ultimately feed. Because who likes their personal property flooding. Let the public system handle that excess God wrath.

Publicize God's punishments privitize his blessings.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I'd actually be surprised if most western European police forces out-homiceded their populations.

Iceland's cops have killed what, like one person? Their total firearms murder rate can't be that high but I bet it's greater than one murder ever.

Comparing what goes on in a wealthy monocrhromatic isolated country of 300k versus the US really isn't helpful.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I intended to compare Iceland to other Western European states.. Sorry if that was unclear. If you like I can fish up the stats for police homicide in Western Europe when I'm not phone posting but I was kinda hoping someone would do it for me.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

icantfindaname posted:

So would a more grounded Sanders response be the solution? In other words get a bunch of left leaning apathetic voters to the booths as much as possible?

If so how would such a ground game and cultivating base come into futation?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

NNick posted:

Guns really aren't the issue. There is no 'issue' Democrats can drop that would be a political gain. It would simply move people to vote the other side or not vote at all. Gun control is a policy tent that naturally aligns with Democrats because they have compassion. Democrats receive more money and support for supporting the issue than if they were to abandon it.

That's exactly my point though. Guns aren't an issue in and of themselves but they happen to be one of those areas of contention that tend to distort any argument they become a part of. The rabid obsession that many people have regarding guns makes it a high profile issue that sucks energy and attention away from other debates. One of the side effects of this is that it turns a lot of people off of politics and helps drive down turnout, which in turn tends to favour Republicans.

Of course, while the impact of gun politics on national political debates is probably mostly favorable to Republicans, it's plain to see the Democratic establishment isn't afraid to use it as a wedge in their own primary. And much like the Republicans, the Democrats here use guns as a way to avoid talking about economic issues where they fear they may be out of step with the party's base.

quote:

I think there is a much larger portion of potential voters who are turned off at a youngish age by how corporate both parties are. Democrats are seen as weak - because they capitulate on their values to 'win' elections - most recently on people running away from Obamacare.

The Democratic party is extremely elitist when it needs to be grass rooted funded and ran - particularly at the local level. Many small time mayors, city people, etc. think way too much of themselves. Worse, they seek funds from people (the wealthy) who by in large don't agree with their base. Focusing back on the base is definitely the path of least resistance, but it will have to come from top down because people don't trust the Democratic party.

The Democratic party cannot be realistically expected to lead the charge on this. Political parties, even powerful ones like the Democrats, don't have the capacity to engineer widespread social change.

I think the real test for movements like Black Lives Matter, the Sanderistas and various other groups is to actually lay the foundations of a social movements that won't simply wither away after they fail to achieve their immediate political goals.

People tend to act as though the New Deal and FDR's other policies were nothing more than a pragmatic response to the persistence of the Great Depression. But this overlooks the huge amount of popular organizing and struggle -- some of it stretching back, in one way or another, to the 19th century -- that laid the foundations for the New Deal. There was a huge amount of organizing and struggle that created the intellectual and organizational foundations upon which people could organize their demands for government relief and intervention.

Something similar happened with the Regan "revolution" in the 1980s. Conservatives had been organizing since hte 1950s to take over the Republican Party. Conservative intellectuals had been founding magazines and peddling their arguments in the academy. A huge mass of blue collar whites who were against the civil rights amendments and other social changes had been shaken loose from the Democratic coalition.

The point of these canned history lessons is that organizers outside the Democratic party will need to lay the foundations for the kind of change in party strategy you're advocating. If the Democrats just abandon their alliance with corporate donors and billionaires and they don't have a strong and active grassroots base to support them then they're just going to get slaughtered.

This is why I think the real test of Sanders will be whether the coalition of activists he's helped to build will actually remain intact after he loses. Because the kind of changes they envision are going to take decades of struggle to even be plausible, not a single cathartic and exciting presidential campaign.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Helsing posted:

This is why I think the real test of Sanders will be whether the coalition of activists he's helped to build will actually remain intact after he loses. Because the kind of changes they envision are going to take decades of struggle to even be plausible, not a single cathartic and exciting presidential campaign.

A good post, I clipped some of it to comment on this last piece. Sanders' coalition is what, exactly? Mostly young, somewhat ideologically motivated voters? I'm not sure I know, except there's a massive enthusiasm gap between his supporters and Hillary's. If enthusiasm counts, this might be the start of a lasting movement. On the other hand, chances are when the next iphone is announced most of his peeps will be off to chase the next shiny thing. Remember when OWS was going to change everything?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

The optimistic leftist read on the Sanders campaign is that it's really just the latest manifestation of an underground current of activism that links the Seattle Protests against globalization in 1999, the Dean campaign from 2003-2004, the grassroots surge of enthusiasm for Obama in 2007-2008 and the Occupy protests in 2011. Under this optimistic reading of recent history the Sanders people are building upon these past experiences and successes.

I put this interpretation forward without endorsing it because I don't have any way of knowing if it's plausible or not, it's merely something I've seen other people argue.

It will be interesting to see if some academic comes forward and gives us a detailed analysis and investigation of the Sanders campaign, much in the way that Theda Skocpol and Vanessa Williamson have given us a fairly in depth study of the Tea Party.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The problem with the assault weapon stupidity is that not only does it antagonize gun owners it's plainly stupid policy.

Seriously it's like so loving dumb to anyone with the slightest knowledge of guns it actively discredits gun control in the same way "the internet is a series of tubes" discredited the anti net neutrality crowd.

Only Ted Stevens' analogy made way more sense.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Jarmak posted:

The problem with the assault weapon stupidity is that not only does it antagonize gun owners it's plainly stupid policy.

Seriously it's like so loving dumb to anyone with the slightest knowledge of guns it actively discredits gun control in the same way "the internet is a series of tubes" discredited the anti net neutrality crowd.

Only Ted Stevens' analogy made way more sense.

Making laws that are ignored, and everybody recognizes that they are ignored, like the NYS SAFE Act, does nothing to help the rule of law, but rather makes an entire class of otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals. Funny that the SAFE Act only resulted in a few thousand registered "assault weapons" out of the 1-2 million estimated to exist in NYS. To your point exactly, Andrew Cuomo attempted to outlaw magazines that held more than 7 bullets in the process, effectively rendering useless every single modern sporting rifle in the state. Now, did he do that out of ignorance, or malice? My guess is, the deep thinkers of the administration wanted to keep the existing limit of 10 rounds, but Cuomo, being half the politician his father was, with twice the mouth, arbitrarily declared 7 a better number than 10 and went on tv and had a Howard Dean-esque meltdown about killing deer. Yet here we are, 2+ years later, stuck with the stupid SAFE act that everybody is ignoring, but it's still on the books. He'll continue to get re-elected in NYS because he holds the correct opinions on BLM and Abortion, but that's as much because the Republican party barely exists here any more.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

gobbagool posted:

Making laws that are ignored, and everybody recognizes that they are ignored, like the NYS SAFE Act, does nothing to help the rule of law, but rather makes an entire class of otherwise law abiding citizens into criminals. Funny that the SAFE Act only resulted in a few thousand registered "assault weapons" out of the 1-2 million estimated to exist in NYS. To your point exactly, Andrew Cuomo attempted to outlaw magazines that held more than 7 bullets in the process, effectively rendering useless every single modern sporting rifle in the state. Now, did he do that out of ignorance, or malice? My guess is, the deep thinkers of the administration wanted to keep the existing limit of 10 rounds, but Cuomo, being half the politician his father was, with twice the mouth, arbitrarily declared 7 a better number than 10 and went on tv and had a Howard Dean-esque meltdown about killing deer. Yet here we are, 2+ years later, stuck with the stupid SAFE act that everybody is ignoring, but it's still on the books. He'll continue to get re-elected in NYS because he holds the correct opinions on BLM and Abortion, but that's as much because the Republican party barely exists here any more.

Don't forget the original SAFE act was so incompetently written that it failed to exempt police and military members posessing 'high capacity' magazines in the performance of their duties.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

gobbagool posted:

The worst part is that the mag size bans are actually the most sane of these policies. I can actually understand (though not necessarily agree) with wanting to ban civilian firearms with detachable box magazines. For 10 years we had federal legislation banning firearms on the grounds of things like bayonet lugs and flash suppressors.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jarmak posted:

The worst part is that the mag size bans are actually the most sane of these policies. I can actually understand (though not necessarily agree) with wanting to ban civilian firearms with detachable box magazines. For 10 years we had federal legislation banning firearms on the grounds of things like bayonet lugs and flash suppressors.

Yes, which was one of the most embarrassingly useless federal firearms restrictions ever, and was allowed to sunset with little fanfare because it accomplished nothing .

The AWB is absolutely not what you want to model any effective gun control policy off of, because it was purely about scary looking cosmetics.

Regarding 'box magazines', you do realize that you are appealing to an effective ban on 90% of pistols and rifles developed in the last century, yes? Other than 1800's era tube fed rifles, revolvers, most shotguns, and the rare few break action rifles, the vast majority of firearms use a detachable box magazine.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 9, 2016

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Yes, which was one of the most embarrassingly useless federal firearms restrictions ever, and was allowed to sunset with little fanfare because it accomplished nothing .

The AWB is absolutely not what you want to model any effective gun control policy off of, because it was purely about scary looking cosmetics.

Regarding 'box magazines', you do realize that you are appealing to an effective ban on 90% of pistols and rifles developed in the last century, yes? Other than 1800's era tube fed rifles, revolvers, most shotguns, and the rare few break action rifles, the vast majority of firearms use a detachable box magazine.

yes, I do, I wasn't advocating it, I was simply stating it at least targeted a feature that actually made sense from a "limit mass shooting capability" standpoint.

Though you're over stating a little bit in regards to rifles, that was really a WW2 era advancement not a 1800's era, there's a lot of rifles with fixed box magazines (granted many of those weapons were designed in the 1800s and then used up through WW2 so I guess that's a bit of a wash).

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 9, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

enraged_camel posted:

It would be even more fun if they carried fake flags with Arabic text on them.

Can someone make an arabic gadsen flag please?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Liquid Communism posted:

I wonder when we'll see the first mass killing with a mosin, bayonet affixed. 100% SAFE Act legal!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

gobbagool posted:

I wonder when we'll see the first mass killing with a mosin, bayonet affixed. 100% SAFE Act legal!

We already had a couple shooting up with California-compliant guns last year.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jarmak posted:

yes, I do, I wasn't advocating it, I was simply stating it at least targeted a feature that actually made sense from a "limit mass shooting capability" standpoint.

Though you're over stating a little bit in regards to rifles, that was really a WW2 era advancement not a 1800's era, there's a lot of rifles with fixed box magazines (granted many of those weapons were designed in the 1800s and then used up through WW2 so I guess that's a bit of a wash).

At the end of the day, mass shootings are a terrible thing to base sweeping gun laws on in the first place. They are the rarest of firearms crimes, and are generally committed by perpetrators whose plans are only obvious in hindsight, and for whom only mass confiscation of all privately owned firearms would really stand as a preventative measure. Most of them have clean backgrounds and no reason to be denied on a background check, or obtain their weapons (as the Sandy Hook killer did) via murder and theft.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

At the end of the day, mass shootings are a terrible thing to base sweeping gun laws on in the first place. They are the rarest of firearms crimes, and are generally committed by perpetrators whose plans are only obvious in hindsight, and for whom only mass confiscation of all privately owned firearms would really stand as a preventative measure. Most of them have clean backgrounds and no reason to be denied on a background check, or obtain their weapons (as the Sandy Hook killer did) via murder and theft.

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Liquid Communism posted:

Which sort of makes my earlier point, nobody, even the biggest Andrew Cuomo or Leah Gunn fanboy has ever really thought that any of these gun control measures would ever result in any kind of ADDITIONAL reduction (beyond what was already occurring naturally over time) of gun crime, or absolutely positively would not have prevented ANY of the mass shootings we've had so far. Given that, we can only conclude that the real point of this kind of legislation was purely fan service, and everybody knows it

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I'm not sure why you're arguing with me

I'm not really, just going into detail because not spelling things out when discussing guns even peripherally in D&D is like a bat signal for shitposters.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

D&D is like a bat signal for shitposters.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Now come on, if not for D&D than who else is going to worry about Affirmative Action for Mars, and minimum 25,000 word posts about babby's first communism

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

One of the main selling points of D&D these days is the amount of :qq: it generates on the rest of the forums.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hasn't there been at least one mass shooting where the shooter rolled up with some kind of stupid 100 round mag he bought off the internet that promptly jammed?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Helsing posted:

One of the main selling points of every subforum with active posters these days is the amount of :qq: it generates on the rest of the forums.

fixed

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

*posts unironically about not caring about things that people post about* is what you meant

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

-Troika- posted:

Hasn't there been at least one mass shooting where the shooter rolled up with some kind of stupid 100 round mag he bought off the internet that promptly jammed?

Aurora theater shooting. Got about 20 rounds into his 100 drum on his AR15, jammed so hard he had to lose the gun, and made almost all of his hits with a pump action shotgun and a Glock using multiple 15 round magazines. Colorado Democrats responded by limiting magazine capacity to... 15 rounds. :downsgun: Nobody outside of (maybe) downtown Denver enforces it.

On the topic of the thread though, I think Dems could be focusing harder on Goldwater style conservatives/independents with the Medicaid/care expansion. Pointing out that money for state expansions are federal tax dollars that came from the states in the first place, and that opposition governors are refusing to get that money back in the state when given the chance, is a good point. Not doing enough to save the blue dogs because they wanted to make deep blue holdouts feel good about themselves/stay ideologically pure in the culture war sure has enabled the Republicans to gobble up most seats out there.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Sell a special attachment for assault rifles called an 'aim enhancer' that has some flashing leds or whatever and randomly jiggles the gun a bit, but secretly jams it when it's fired near a school/public place.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rudatron posted:

So to add some class to this debate,I think it's important to remember that fun control it's also a single issue for some voters, so if the dems abandoned it, they could actually end up worse off if the number of pro-gun converts is less than the anti-gun demoralized.

These a reason political coalitions are the way they are, I mean ideally you'd be better off with a direct vote on each issue, but that has it's own problems.

It's not just "converts vs demoralized", you have to figure in the turnout effects on both sides. Gun control doesn't really turn democrats out, but it sure as gently caress turns Republicans out.

The unstated fact here is that there are a lot of what I will term "Sanders Democrats" who are progressive, but on gun control they're somewhere in between "don't care", "realize there's no mileage whatsoever in raising the issue", or "actively support gun rights". Progressive thought isn't a monolith and Vermont isn't the only state with those kind of voters in it.

Unfortunately the mainstream democratic party literally can't stop themselves from touching the third rail. It's just so shiny and that high-voltage electricity crackles so enticingly.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 10, 2016

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Helsing posted:

The Democratic party cannot be realistically expected to lead the charge on this. Political parties, even powerful ones like the Democrats, don't have the capacity to engineer widespread social change.

This might be just semantics - but while it may not be realistic for the party to enact social change - that is the expectation I have coming from the 'far left' of the party. If a party cannot enact such change than it is pointless.

It is pretty clear the base of the new party is 18-34 year old 'democratic' socialists - people who grew up around Obama, Occupy, Tea Party, BLM. If the party alienates these voters through the usual tactics it will completely doom the pillars of their platform. I am also not so sure Sanders will lose - or a lot of that change can happen quickly if Sanders continues to show his political savvy. He likely will lose, but the strength of his coalition within the Democratic party depends a lot on Clinton.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Sanders may, against the odds, manage to secure the nomination. He will still inevitably "lose" a bunch of political battles after he is elected. How well he losses these battles will be the key test. Sometimes a movement is defeated and grows stronger off the defeat, and sometimes a movement is defeated and grows weaker.

quote:

Bad at Losing

I expected Obama to be a better loser, specifically to be better at losing. There were a lot of items on the table, a lot of them weren’t going to happen, but it was important for the new future of liberalism that the Obama team lost them well. And that hasn’t happened.

By losing well, I mean losing in a way that builds a coalition, demonstrates to your allies that you are serious, takes a pound of flesh from your opponents and leaves them with the blame, and convinces those on the fence that it is an important issue for which you have the answers. Lose for the long run; lose in a way that leaves liberal institutions and infrastructure stronger, able to be deployed again at a later date.

Let’s take an example of a lose: immigration. The assimilation of Hispanics into a central part of the United States is a long-term project, one that will go on beyond this Congress and any bill it may have passed. Securing Hispanic votes is central to any theory of an emerging Democratic majority. And it was going to be possible that any bill wouldn’t pass, given how difficult immigration bills were to move in the Bush years.

So this should have been something that was lost well. Here’s my major memory of the Obama administration on immigration:

quote:

Whenever Rep. Luis V. Gutierrez (D-Ill.) and other immigrant-rights advocates asked President Obama how a Democratic administration could preside over the greatest number of deportations in any two-year period in the nation’s history, Obama’s answer was always the same.

Deporting almost 800,000 illegal immigrants might antagonize some Democrats and Latino voters, Obama’s skeptical supporters said the president told them, but stepped-up enforcement was the only way to buy credibility with Republicans and generate bipartisan support for an overhaul of the nation’s immigration laws.

On Saturday, that strategy was in ruins after Senate Democrats could muster only 55 votes in support of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act…

This is losing poorly. It makes major concessions without getting anything in return, conceding both pieces of flesh and the larger narrative to the other side. This unnecessarily splits those who support the Democrats on whether or not to support these actions. It doesn’t name the opponents of the effort to figure out ways of deploying pressure to change things. Without an obvious fight it’s not signaled that it was a priority. And the ultimate problem is that it doesn’t leave the coalition in better shape for the next battle.

This is true of many issues, ranging from unions fighting for the ability to unionize easier to the technology groups fighting for Net Neutrality. Why should these groups be happier with the past two years, even if they thought on day one that they wouldn’t win anything? How are either stronger for the next battle?

Candidate Obama’s chief blogger, Sam Graham-Felsen, recently asked Why is Obama leaving the grass roots on the sidelines? by not engaging those on the unprecedented email list Obama was able to create. I’d go further and ask where are the newer and/or stronger liberal groups that have emerged in the past two years? So many seem demoralized and confused and few new ones seem to exist at all, which is disturbing given the volume of people Democrats had in Congress going into this session.

This is a problem regardless of whether or not you think Obama is a progressive boxed in by failed institutions, a centrist Democratic in awe of Rubinomics who accidently stumbled into the largest downturn since the Great Depression, or a political neophyte who never fought a battle and, as an old-school liberal told Bill Greider “”was rolled by the bankers, then he was rolled by the generals, then he was rolled by the Blue Dogs and other Democrats who had no interest in going along with what he proposed.” Regardless of where the Democrats want to go they need people and institutions to help them get there, and it’s not clear that we are any closer to getting those in place.

In my book, this matters. As Ziad Munson’s ethnography of the Pro-Life movement argued “mobilization occurs when people are drawn into activism through organizational and relational ties, not when they form strong beliefs about abortion.” People aren’t simply acting out unconscious political codes and rules like a processor, and people aren’t simply rational consumers maximizing a matrix of orthogonal political preferences by choosing among competing parties. Politics is a process, and a person’s political habitus is created by engagement in institutions based on their views that in turn change those views and push on the institutions themselves. If we want a dominate liberalism, institutions to engage people need to be grown and nurtured.

As to your more general comments I would suggest that the Democratic party is unlikely to take the lead on the issues you value unless there's a demonstrated benefit in doing so. You need some social movement organizing to clear the way for the risk averse political class to follow, or, alternatively, you need to kick out those risk averse types and replace them with folks who are closer to your own worldview.

Based on history, political parties in liberal capitalist societies like the USA do not tend to take dramatic leadership roles in enacting social change. Whether it was the passage of the New Deal, the Civil Rights Act, or the Reganite move to deregulation and tax cuts, a similar pattern has tended to assert itself: some mixture of intellectual mobilization and grassroots organizing, spread over several years, and only able to seize power after some series of crises ruptures the traditional political system and creates a space for some new social forces to assert themselves.

Recent generations of leftists have seemingly wanted to skip the hard part and just have that magical cathartic moment where Obama gets elected, Wall Street gets occupied, etc. and then everything is fixed and everyone goes home happy. But realistically that's not going to happen. Long periods of struggle will be necessary to change things and expecting the Democratic party to be your ally in that struggle is extremely naive. The Democratic party may be a tool you can utilize but it's controlled by elites who have very little interest in seeing your desired goals enacted. Indeed I suspect many of them would rather wreck the party than let people like you take control of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Helsing posted:

risk averse political class
I think you just nailed my problem with the Democratic Party in four words.

On every issue I care about their stance is mealy-mouthed, NPR-style faux-reasonableness. "Um, well, yes, bi-partisanship and compromise, it's a tough issue, and um, would anyone like to talk about muffins?" Why is it that the only passion I ever see out of anyone with a (D) in front of their name is for some ridiculous suburban yuppy bullshit like banning violent video games?

Just once I want to hear some Trump-esque "I'm going to gently caress them till they love me" policy from a Dem on something I give two shits about.

• Locked thread