Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/04/linkedin-reports-q4-earnings.html

quote:

Shares of LinkedIn plunged as much as 40 percent at the market open Friday, erasing $10 billion of its market capitalization after announcing weaker-than-expected forward guidance the previous evening.

The social media company reported fourth-quarter earnings and revenue that topped analyst estimates Thursday, but shares in the company tanked in after-hours trading. The slide continued into Friday's regular session, with shares on track for their worst daily performance since going public in 2011, amid a slew of analyst downgrades.

The company said Thursday that it saw adjusted earnings of 94 cents per share on $862 million in revenue in its fourth quarter. Analysts had expected LinkedIn to report earnings of about 78 cents per share on $858 million in revenue, according to a consensus estimate from Thomson Reuters.

For the first quarter, LinkedIn said it expects revenue of about $820 million and non-GAAP earnings of about 55 cents per share. Wall Street had on average expected about $868.3 million in revenue and earnings of 75 cents per share for that quarter, according to StreetAccount.

The company's guidance for first-quarter adjusted EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization) was about $190 million — analysts had forecast about $213.9 million, according to StreetAccount.

"Our strategy in 2016 will increasingly focus on a narrower set of high value, high impact initiatives with the goal of strengthening and driving leverage across our entire portfolio of businesses," LinkedIn CEO Jeff Weiner said in prepared remarks. "Our roadmap will be supported by greater emphasis on simplicity, prioritization, and ultimate ROI and investment impact."

CFO Steve Sordello said in his remarks that the guidance in part reflects "continued pressure" in international markets from "current global economic conditions."
The company's focus on sponsored content will impact short-term revenue growth in favor of the long term, he added.

"It looks like 2016 will really be a year of refocus and reinvestment, and it seems like investors might be taking a pause on this stock right now," Neil Doshi, analyst at Mizuho Securities, told CNBC's "Fast Money."

In the final quarter of 2015, LinkedIn saw a 34 percent increase in revenue from $643 million in the year-ago period. Adjusted earnings increased 54 percent from 61 cents in Q4 2014.
The company said it ended the fourth quarter with 414 million members, topping average analyst estimates of 409.7 million, according to StreetAccount.

Shares in the professional social network have now fallen about 49.5 percent so far this year, trending worse than the major U.S. indexes.

Investment Goons, should we buy? Whats the deal, can we blame the millennials or Bernie for this?

My brother is waiting for the stock to bottom before buying, but this is also the guy who did a parlay on Chiefs to win the Super Bowl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Linkedin blows and is completely worthless for business networking

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
whenever i go on my linkedin there is just a ton of connection invites from people i dont know and dont have any connection too. One of the sales guys who used to work in my office was convinced that every girl on Linkedin was a prostitute like it was some kind of craigslist alternative lol

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
No, OP.

There's no reason they'd recover; it's not like a spot of bad news that hosed their share price but they still have good fundamentals + cash flow. There's tons of good stocks you can get at a discount right now because of the general market meltdown, no need to risk money on LinkedIn.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot
the time to buy is when blood is in the streets

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Cuckoo posted:

Hmmm, wrong.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
linkedin sends the most emails

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Jeff Weiner

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
linkedin is still pretty good if you need somewhere to import your professional info from for job apps. and then you can submit your resume and fill out the same forms for the 3rd time manually like normal.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I hope all social sharespace network bullshit goes bust because it is dumb and a bubble and its business culture is almost as insufferable as my posting

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
Buy high sell low, that's how I became a millionaire!

i WAS a billionaire

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
If you think about it, a site you keep up on your own to show potential employers how bad you are at lying on your resume is a terrible idea

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

lorn Wayne posted:

Buy high sell low, that's how I became a millionaire!

the tax benefits are AWESOME

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Parallax Scroll posted:

the tax benefits are AWESOME

Salespeople
Sales never changes.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Buy Netflix instead. Linkedin is like a bad facebook for salesmen trying to peddle their company's products.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

gently caress the ROW posted:

the time to buy is when blood is in the streets

that was a good movie

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Stick to raiding wagons op

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Cuckoo posted:

im straight amazed that it has that kind of revenue. thats kinda amazing when you consider its basically a shittier facebook for people that read cathy comics

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Maybe if putting job postings and advertising on LinkedIn wasn't ridiculously expensive they would fare better.

It was like $500 bucks for me to post a job posting on LinkedIn, thats big change for a small business.

It also doesn't help that LinkedIn is a circle jerk community of sales and marketing people selling their "special sales and marketing techniques" to each other.

"Top 10 Ways to Invigorate Your Brand"

"This One Company Did a Shocking Thing"

"Single Mother Leaves You Speechless and Aroused"

I started my career in marketing but used my skills in programming and graphic design to further my career. None of my connections even mention skills that can actually produce things. It's all, "Good at Teamwork", "Brands", "Social Media", "Leadership"

A better alternative to LinkedIn is MeetUp, where you can actually meet people who have similar skills and ideas, rather than get messages from the latest MLM or Get Rich Quick Scheme.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

Maybe if putting job postings and advertising on LinkedIn wasn't ridiculously expensive they would fare better.

It was like $500 bucks for me to post a job posting on LinkedIn, thats big change for a small business.

It also doesn't help that LinkedIn is a circle jerk community of sales and marketing people selling their "special sales and marketing techniques" to each other.

I started my career in marketing but used my skills in programming and graphic design to further my career. None of my connections even mention skills that can actually produce things. It's all, "Good at Teamwork", "Brands", "Social Media", "Leadership"

A better alternative to LinkedIn is MeetUp, where you can actually meet people who have similar skills and ideas, rather than get messages from the latest MLM or Get Rich Quick Scheme.

geez, a job ad on craigslist is only like 25 bucks and will get you hundreds of applicants for highly technical jobs who barely speak english and don't meet a single one of your listed requirements

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
It's so useful. I love to get daily email reminders that Joe Dipshit from junior high wants to invite me to his network and endorse him in "Unemployed"

Also, "another avenue for those weird, greasy, pushy weirdos from every conference ever to bother me" is exactly what I look for in a business networking solution

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I was born rich and I've never had to work a day in my life, so I am glad that I am rich

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cuckoo posted:

The lack of vetting on it was hilarious and people can claim whatever they want and it's almost impossible to contest it, at least last time I used it.

Sometimes it's just funny though:

Designed by a man who spent half his Linkedin claiming to be a UI expert

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I work in investing and and just checked my suggested connections. Number one is Erik Voorhees, one of the bitcoin Jesusii.

Good job, LinkedIn.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
It's probably time to buy, OP, but please don't. I want LinkedIn to die.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
link in. link on. drop out.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Parallax Scroll posted:

geez, a job ad on craigslist is only like 25 bucks and will get you hundreds of applicants for highly technical jobs who barely speak english and don't meet a single one of your listed requirements

Craigslist is 35 bux now IDIOT

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Nooner posted:

whenever i go on my linkedin there is just a ton of connection invites from people i dont know and dont have any connection too. One of the sales guys who used to work in my office was convinced that every girl on Linkedin was a prostitute like it was some kind of craigslist alternative lol

if you think about it capitalism has made prostitutes of us all

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
If LinkedIn goes tits up, HR people might actually have to do their jobs instead of loving around on business Facebook all drat day.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Seriously though, LinkedIn has cost more people jobs than it's gotten.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Cuckoo posted:

I got my current job through linkedin networking

maybe if you work at mcdonalds or something

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Fried Watermelon posted:

If you are looking to hire on linkedin you don't post an ad, you find qualified people and DM them.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

FishionMailed posted:

No, OP.

There's no reason they'd recover; it's not like a spot of bad news that hosed their share price but they still have good fundamentals + cash flow. There's tons of good stocks you can get at a discount right now because of the general market meltdown, no need to risk money on LinkedIn.

I have some money to play with. What's good out there right now?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
ive had interviews and job offers through LinkedIn, I guess some of you just aren't social (soci@l) media wizards :smugdog: :smugcat:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
So many buzzwords in the op, I glazed over.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

JakeP posted:

I got my current job through linkedin networking

maybe if you work at mcdonalds or something

ive heard ppl say this but the only characters that contact me on there are like dumbass brokers and such desperate for business

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Holy poo poo, some rando person viewed my profile!

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Edgar posted:

Holy poo poo, some rando person viewed my profile!

Your old auto insurance agent has viewed your profile!
Your college acquaintance who can't actually explain what his start-up does has viewed your profile!
Your ex who you blocked on every other form of social media has viewed your profile!

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Why yes I would like to pay 108 dollars per share for something that earns negative dollars and just dropped 43% at the beginning of a historic bear market.

Please funnel hot tar into my rear end with a traffic cone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Social media is a cancer on this earth and it all will burn in time.

• Locked thread