Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
So I picked up some Boars Head beef hotdogs that were on sale since they are normally like nine dollars a pack and i wanted to see what a nine dollar a pack hotdog tasted like. I tried them with mustard and with some homemade chili and mustard. Verdict: delicious!

I think a vastly overlooked aspect of a good dog is the bun. I bought some fresh rolls from the store's bakery and lightly buttered and toasted them before serving.

Oh I cooked the dogs on a heavy pan until they were blistered but right before charred. How does everyone else make or enjoy their hotdogs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

i'll be frank with you op you knocked my weiner out of the ballpark with this thread!

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
i like them boiled or steamed but not in natural casings

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
frank discussion: hotdogs

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE :v:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i like hebrew national usually

the big ones

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
all-beef hotdogs are pro-tier, good job op

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Luvcow posted:

i like them boiled or steamed but not in natural casings

natural casings are the only way to go, friend

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i had a detroit style coney in las vegas once when i was really drunk and enjoyed it alot

it was piled high IIRC

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I serve my hotdogs on a bun half their length with unmelted cheese.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I guess you could say that I dont "get" Dodger Dogs, I mean, they are just long hotdogs :confused:

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
All kindsa doga

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Nooner posted:

I guess you could say that I dont "get" Dodger Dogs, I mean, they are just long hotdogs :confused:

los doyer dogs

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
somewhat relevant

https://youtu.be/y259WQIvBNo?t=37s

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Nathan's is my poison of choice. Good call on the pan-frying; that's what I do too when it's too cold or I can't be bothered to fire up the grill. I'll have to check out Boar's Head someday.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
growing up my mom would boil hot dogs on the stove then we would wrap some white bread around them and eat them I remember bringing this up at school and that's when I found out we were poor, funny how you don't know you are as a kid until someone makes fun of you

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Other Barry
Jun 5, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Chomp8645 posted:

I serve my hotdogs on a bun half their length with unmelted cheese.

I don't think you do. I don't think you're discussing your hot dog preparations in a frank and honest manner, and are instead surreptitiously discussing another matter entirely. And I for one don't appreciate it, mister!

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

Do it ironically posted:

growing up my mom would boil hot dogs on the stove then we would wrap some white bread around them and eat them I remember bringing this up at school and that's when I found out we were poor, funny how you don't know you are as a kid until someone makes fun of you

same experience, also discovering that grilled cheese is not wonderbread and a kraft single microwaved for 30 seconds

wasn't poor but immigrant mom

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

The Cubelodyte posted:

Nathan's is my poison of choice. Good call on the pan-frying; that's what I do too when it's too cold or I can't be bothered to fire up the grill. I'll have to check out Boar's Head someday.

Nathan's are really good, but they stopped making the 1/4 hotdogs which there the loving best.

I like to boil my hotdogs to heat them through, and then chuck em in a pan and fry em in butter in until they are nicely browned on the outside. I call them "boil-fried" hotdogs and they are good. Depending on the buns that I have, I will place them on a wire rack over the pot while the hotdogs are boiling to steam them.

edit: my other favorite way to eat hotdogs is to make what I call "hotdog rice" where you cut up a hotdog and chuck it in the rice-cooker with the rice. If you are really hungry/impatient, season and eat when it's done. But that's a little bland for most people. So instead, fry as many eggs as you want quickly in a pan, pull them out of the pan, and turn the rice and hotdogs into the pan with some butter and soysauce to make hotdog fried rice. Stir the eggs in at the end and serve. It's pretty good.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 5, 2016

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
i just get ballpark and toss them in the microwave when I'm broke and hungry. :shrug:

I'm broke and hungry 99% of the time so i usually just toss some cheap product in the microwave and consume it afterward

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

I like my 'dogs with some chili, a lot of mustard and a slice of american cheese

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Kuato posted:

i just get ballpark and toss them in the microwave when I'm broke and hungry. :shrug:

I'm broke and hungry 99% of the time so i usually just toss some cheap product in the microwave and consume it afterward

The best thing about the boil-frying process is that it will make even really cheap hotdogs pretty tasty. It takes a little longer than the microwave, but not much. If you want steamed buns and don't have a wire rack, depending on the size of your pot and buns, you can just lay them on the edges of the pot. That's what I did.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Anyone else prefer to drink an ice cold coke with their dogs?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Snak posted:

The best thing about the boil-frying process is that it will make even really cheap hotdogs pretty tasty. It takes a little longer than the microwave, but not much. If you want steamed buns and don't have a wire rack, depending on the size of your pot and buns, you can just lay them on the edges of the pot. That's what I did.

have no fear, my pot and buns are both of legendary size

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Mozi posted:

have no fear, my pot and buns are both of legendary size

You know, I paused for a second as I was writing that, but whatever.

You will actually have a more difficult time if both your pot and your buns are large. You wouldn't want your buns falling into the pot!

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
I pan-fried some hotdogs a couple of months ago in bacon grease. Tasted really good. I'm sure my future cardiologist will recognize this as a pivotal moment in my health history when he analyzes the core samples from my arterial plaque.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
bratwursts are better in every way

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
How could you put that into your body, OP? It's shaped like a dick!

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Boars Head hotdogs are great on a grill while Nathans are better for boiling.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FishionMailed posted:

bratwursts are better in every way

Every way except the price tag.

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot

Snak posted:

Every way except the price tag.

yeah but who cares what the poor think?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i like my hotdog with some mustard and a few bits of onions, a cheap an nutritious treat :D

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You know hot dogs get a bad rap? They got a cool shape, they got protein. You like hot dogs right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

FishionMailed posted:

yeah but who cares what the poor think?

This is a hotdog thread :colbert:

Mayo is good on hotdogs.

I am such a gross person.

With mustard, I'm not a complete heathen.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

hob dob

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm so hungry. But I have to eat my delicious leftover Mexican food instead of hotdogs.

First world problems.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol there are a lot of dumbasses out there that dont know how to make a dang hotdog

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Nooner posted:

lol there are a lot of dumbasses out there that dont know how to make a dang hotdog

Do I look like I know what a jpeg is? I just want a picture ofto eat a god-danged hot dog!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Snak posted:

Do I look like I know what a jpeg is? I just want a picture ofto eat a god-danged hot dog!

im also having first world problems cause i brought in lunch today but now i really want a hotdog anfd there is a oobies og ouse type shack just down the street from me....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams

Hotdogs. hotdogs hotdogs hotdogs.

• Locked thread