Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
i made my own sausages last night including bratwurst. i used hog casings fyi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
strongly considered posting a sausage themed thread but looks like op beat beat me to it, very spooky

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I just posted a friend thread due to popular demand. :)

Oops, fry thread.... For friends!

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I just met a hotdog speed eating champion. Was a cool guy who made a lot of money sucking down sausages.

gizmojumpjet
Feb 21, 2006

Fill your bowl to the brim and it will spill. Keep sharpening your knife and it will blunt.
Grimey Drawer

No. 6 posted:

I just met a hotdog speed eating champion. Was a cool guy who made a lot of money sucking down sausages.

Assuming his name was Phil, were you like "hey, Phil, what's up?" or like "hey, Champ, what's up?"

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Name was Joey Chestnut.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Natural casings on hotdogs are great; I love that snap they have when you bite into them. People here complaining about how gross it is to eat natural casing - you are eating the rear end in a top hat already, why not have some intestine with it?

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Roger Craig posted:

Natural casings on hotdogs are great; I love that snap they have when you bite into them. People here complaining about how gross it is to eat natural casing - you are eating the rear end in a top hat already, why not have some intestine with it?

:agreed: not sure I'd want say, a brat, without a casing.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Roger Craig posted:

Natural casings on hotdogs are great; I love that snap they have when you bite into them.

seriously its the best

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

No. 6 posted:

Name was Joey Chestnut.

A true Son of San Jose Im glad the kid who beat him last time was also from SJ

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
This may be a controversial opinion but I love hot links. They are like hot dogs, but spicy, and my costco usually carries them all summer.

Costco is a pretty baller choice for all your sausage needs, tbh. You can go in and get like 6 kinds of sausage/hot dogs, then grab a dog and a dewskie for 1.5 usd on your way out.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNN9nL2vppM

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Capoeira Capybara posted:

This may be a controversial opinion but I love hot links. They are like hot dogs, but spicy, and my costco usually carries them all summer.

Costco is a pretty baller choice for all your sausage needs, tbh. You can go in and get like 6 kinds of sausage/hot dogs, then grab a dog and a dewskie for 1.5 usd on your way out.

Gonna do this today and also stock up on this:

To turn it into this:

And then I'll become this:

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

King of Bees posted:

So I picked up some Boars Head beef hotdogs that were on sale since they are normally like nine dollars a pack and i wanted to see what a nine dollar a pack hotdog tasted like. I tried them with mustard and with some homemade chili and mustard. Verdict: delicious!

I think a vastly overlooked aspect of a good dog is the bun. I bought some fresh rolls from the store's bakery and lightly buttered and toasted them before serving.

Oh I cooked the dogs on a heavy pan until they were blistered but right before charred. How does everyone else make or enjoy their hotdogs?

I should try pan frying how long and how high did you do it? I'm guessing on a gas stove?

I got two high quality dogs left but to me hot dogs taste like hot dogs no matter how you garnish them up.
If you went for too high quality on the beef its just gonna be a burger at that point.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
i dont like hotdogs or hotdog people any more.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

King of Bees posted:

Gonna do this today and also stock up on this:

To turn it into this:

And then I'll become this:

checks out

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Microwaves Mom posted:

I should try pan frying how long and how high did you do it? I'm guessing on a gas stove?

I got two high quality dogs left but to me hot dogs taste like hot dogs no matter how you garnish them up.
If you went for too high quality on the beef its just gonna be a burger at that point.

Doesn't have to be gas. Just use a medium high heat and keep the dogs rolling. Basically you want the dogs to blister and form a crunchy, wrinkled red exterior just short of charring them. A bit of char is fine. Try toasting dem bun buns too, like butter the inside and lay on the pan like a grilled cheese.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And like I said, so that I don't have to worry about heating the hotdogs through while pan frying, I boil them first. I put the hotdogs in water when I put the pot on the stove. Then when the water reaches a boil I take the hotdogs out and put them in the pan. Then you just rolled the hotdogs as needed to evenly brown them the desired amount.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

King of Bees posted:

Doesn't have to be gas. Just use a medium high heat and keep the dogs rolling. Basically you want the dogs to blister and form a crunchy, wrinkled red exterior just short of charring them. A bit of char is fine. Try toasting dem bun buns too, like butter the inside and lay on the pan like a grilled cheese.

nice idea. on the buns. I'll try doing the dogs tomorrow. What kind of pan do you recommend? Can I get away with a stainless steel pan or should I use like the kind i use to fry bacon?

Snak posted:

And like I said, so that I don't have to worry about heating the hotdogs through while pan frying, I boil them first. I put the hotdogs in water when I put the pot on the stove. Then when the water reaches a boil I take the hotdogs out and put them in the pan. Then you just rolled the hotdogs as needed to evenly brown them the desired amount.

These are some good tips! I like grilled hotdogs and for the most part I just boil them here but this sounds like I can make them taste a whole lot better without the grill. Seeing as I live in the city and do not have a grill.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Microwaves Mom posted:

nice idea. on the buns. I'll try doing the dogs tomorrow. What kind of pan do you recommend? Can I get away with a stainless steel pan or should I use like the kind i use to fry bacon?

I mean, I use a teflon pan.

I have used a stainless steel pan i the past and it worked fine. I still use one anytime I plan to deglaze it to make a sauce.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Microwaves Mom posted:

These are some good tips! I like grilled hotdogs and for the most part I just boil them here but this sounds like I can make them taste a whole lot better without the grill. Seeing as I live in the city and do not have a grill.

Serious dog cooking tips itt. Either pan is fine for the whole process. Its a one pan show. Do the buns first. Set them aside. Do the dogs.

Real talk: as a wee shaver a local burger stand long closed did the buttered buns thing for their chili dogs and I never saw it again. I forgot about it until recently when my brother brought it up. Tried it at home for my kids and it's now the household standard.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
buttered buns is good.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry to rehash, but for those who were asking about pan fried dogs, here's a batch we made tonight and what they should look like imo.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

King of Bees posted:

Cool how do you do your Bologna? :chef:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Cool how do you do your Bologna? :chef:

Pickle that poo poo bro

• Locked thread