Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
My dad has been a pretty devout Hindu since long before I was born. He actively does Puja every morning, which is essentially prayer/worship, and it usually lasts over an hour. Super chill guy, not a crazy hippy, has a regular business job, and doesn't really do it for show at all. But he goes to a group of (mostly) white people who are nearly the same way. Anyone else raised like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

my parents are white and practice Middle Eastern religion

that counts right?

Aug 4, 2010

my mum has gotten really into buddhism

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Are you sure your dad is white?

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Yep, raised by a Hindu/ Buddhist dad who was chief psychiatrist at a psychiatric hospital and whiter than white can be. Taught me Yoga and Sanskrit as a kid, but I left it all behind after he died when I was 9.

edit: he was mostly Buddhist, but he paid respect to a lot of Hindu gods, mainly Krishna, Ganesh, Shiva.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Dynastocles posted:

Yep, raised by a Hindu/ Buddhist dad who was chief psychiatrist at a psychiatric hospital and whiter than white can be. Taught me Yoga and Sanskrit as a kid, but I left it all behind after he died when I was 9.

edit: he was mostly Buddhist, but he paid respect to a lot of Hindu gods, mainly Krishna, Ganesh, Shiva.

Nice, this definitely reminds me of my dad. He's Hindu through and through, I don't think there's any Buddhism. He's been to India multiple times, and has had a few gurus. Right now he's into Meher Baba.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
The Secret isn't a religion

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

like eastern orthodox?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
My dad identifies as a "Wikipedia Buddhist", which is to say he's read a few summaries about it on the Internet and thought they sounded vaguely interesting but knows better than to pursue things any further.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

we eat seafood sometimes on eatern so no

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When did you first taste beef op?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
All the major religions are from Asia you dummy.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

rock rock posted:

When did you first taste beef op?

Pretty early on, my dad was pretty chill about it, didn't try to shove it down anyone's throat. He was vegetarian for a while, then he stopped, then started back up again a few years ago.

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

All the major religions are from Asia you dummy.

Yes, we're talking about the areas in which the religions are most prominent in the present day. Eastern religions usually means Non-Abrahamic systems of belief. Here's a wikipedia article about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_religions

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My argument isn't that anthropologists are not idiots that wasted money on a useless degree, it's that white people are dumb including you.

Falun Bong Refugee fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 5, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my friend's mom has a yogi or a guru or w/e

she's got pictures of his feet hung all over their house

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
My whole family is southern baptist and you're family is going to hell.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My parents decided to take up christianity in their 40s. It didn't take.

Dr. Dogballs Jr.
Jun 9, 2014

the angriest sex machine
my mother is part of this loving crazy cult sounding gibberish called eckankar that tries to claim it's an ancient thing started in the east. some rear end in a top hat named paul started a money-grub to take advantage of hippies like a lot of other american "gurus" back then. i went to "satsang" once a month as a little kid, basically worship service, they had a decent youth group. it's bizarre rear end poo poo to think about now that i had anything to do with it, but most of the people i knew were super nice and cool, so they weren't hurting anyone, its just like "this obviously was a con started in the 60's, how did any of you not realize wtf was going on after you sobered up for 10 minutes?" its just a dumb mix of christianity and buddhism, simplified, complete with its own version of saints (eck leaders) and sexist practices

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
My mom practices reiki which is basically eastern faith healing. Apparently it has Buddhist roots so lol at me for thinking this thread didn't apply to me

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
mine are productive members of society not some loving hippies

unlike me

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
My dad is Catholic and my Southern Baptist mom thinks its the same as Hindu. She was crushed the day we finally convinced her that if she cared about what was in the bible she should probably be Eastern Orthodox

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

trapped mouse posted:

My dad has been a pretty devout Hindu since long before I was born. He actively does Puja every morning, which is essentially prayer/worship, and it usually lasts over an hour. Super chill guy, not a crazy hippy, has a regular business job, and doesn't really do it for show at all. But he goes to a group of (mostly) white people who are nearly the same way. Anyone else raised like this?
Does the dad like to rape. Does your dad like to rape, OP? I ask because GBS threads lead me to believe that indians like to rape and hindu is the indian religion.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Toadvine posted:

My mom practices reiki which is basically eastern faith healing. Apparently it has Buddhist roots so lol at me for thinking this thread didn't apply to me
My dad and aunt got into this poo poo sometime in the past decade and it's just a retarded scam that was started in 1922.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

to be fair christianity is a weird eastern cult that practises cannibalism and worships a corpse god

i hear the imperial service is full of them :tinfoil:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Crazy Eastern religion here (well, Eastern Kentucky).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

www posted:

my mum has gotten really into buddhism

I've really gotten into your mum

(sex)

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My mother is an interfaith minister, buys into whatever hippie poo poo is flavour of the month, and I once got into trouble for messing with her magical shaman drum. White as all hell.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
im spiritual

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

a hole-y ghost posted:

Does the dad like to rape. Does your dad like to rape, OP? I ask because GBS threads lead me to believe that indians like to rape and hindu is the indian religion.

indians really really really like to rape, like probably even more than the muslims do, and the muslims straight up keep child sex slaves. its hosed up dude

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
i think my parents are hindu because their house is covered in swastikas

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
I am the true Babaji reincarnate.
hth

Sandusky Kenshin
Jan 24, 2016

I'm spiritual... but not religious. Heh.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only muslims I've ever met were pasty nerd white guys

n3wt
Dec 22, 2005
Wait, isn't hinduism the religion you can't convert to? because if fate/dharma had wanted you to be hindu you'd have been born hindu so converting is to go against the basic principles of hinduism* or something. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

*Not that "christians" follow the basics priciples of anything Christ said...

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

my parents are white and practice Middle Eastern religion

that counts right?

which one?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

dad is Roman Catholic, mom is Protestant

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trapped mouse posted:

cool sleeper cell, op.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

symbolic posted:

dad is Roman Catholic, mom is Protestant

so, which one of those is an eastern religion?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

so, which one of those is an eastern religion?
hence why i said Middle Eastern, though Protestantism grew out of Catholicism in Europe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
yeah they're pretty godless now I have to say

lol jk they're protestants, the Correct religion

• Locked thread