Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

CNN posted:

One person was killed and three others injured when a 565-foot crane collapsed during Friday morning's rush hour in snowy Lower Manhattan, authorities said.

The lone fatality was a man sitting in a parked car. Police identified him as David Wichs, 38, a Manhattan resident.

The three injuries -- two considered serious but not life-threatening -- occurred when pedestrians were hurt by falling debris, Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters.

The crawler crane was being lowered into a secure position, with construction workers keeping pedestrians and traffic away from a busy street near New York Law School, when it hurtled to the ground, de Blasio said.

The crane's manufacturer required that it be secured when winds reached 25 mph, the mayor said.

"You can see how powerful the damage was, but you can also see that it was something of a miracle" there were not more casualties, de Blasio said.

As a precaution, the city immediately ordered the 376 crawler and 53 tower cranes in operation in New York be immediately secured, officials said.

Building inspectors had been at the site of the collapse a day earlier after granting approval for the crane operator to add an extension, bringing the crane to 565 feet, according to de Blasio. The work was found to be in "full compliance."

The impact of the hulking crane may have damaged underground gas mains, and utility inspectors were checking for gas leaks, officials said. A leaking water main was shut down.

some Twitter and Imgur pics:

https://twitter.com/FDNY/status/695611921630941184
https://twitter.com/KVSaint/status/695603674073198592

cranes, man's mortal enemy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
thanks for update

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

watch bush start a loving war

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cantaloupe posted:

thanks for update

woops! mean to say thanks for THE update, my bad there

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I'm the guy that got beaten to the obvious joke

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

Crane style cannot be defeated

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Is this how the machine uprising begins?

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Doc Friday posted:

Is this how the machine uprising begins?
yeah, first with psychopathic cranes, then with nutshots from spastic vending machines a la Maximum Overdrive

FishionMailed
Feb 2, 2014

by zen death robot
Dying while in traffic

lmao that sucks. at least it was probably quick and he probably had like no warning either.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A second crane has hit the Chrysler!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Muslims are really slacking off these days

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

symbolic posted:

yeah, first with psychopathic cranes, then with nutshots from spastic vending machines a la Maximum Overdrive

It took them long enough, quite frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I like to picture the crane operator walking away, hands in pockets, whistling.

• Locked thread