Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Ka0 posted:

If I'm listening correctly, she says "is it OK to shoot? can I shoot?" which is even funnier in my head.
Yeah that's the word they're using for when she does a magic. She shoots explosions :torgue:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Just saw ep 5, I really enjoyed how his party wasn't all "wow hero why can't you be like this guy" when the 'rival' showed up. There's something really endearing about a group of misfits that somehow get along with each other. And them all straight away turning on him was actually kind of sweet in a way.

I like this show.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

Just saw ep 5, I really enjoyed how his party wasn't all "wow hero why can't you be like this guy" when the 'rival' showed up. There's something really endearing about a group of misfits that somehow get along with each other. And them all straight away turning on him was actually kind of sweet in a way.

I like this show.

Echoing this.

Usually this would be the part where the protagonist reflects on whether or not he deserves to have the party he has or if he should treat them better, etc. Instead they just flat out reject the guy. It helps that when it comes to Kazuma's lousy reputation, some of it is misrepresented or misunderstood but he is not really an innocent party in it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Argas posted:

Echoing this.

Usually this would be the part where the protagonist reflects on whether or not he deserves to have the party he has or if he should treat them better, etc. Instead they just flat out reject the guy. It helps that when it comes to Kazuma's lousy reputation, some of it is misrepresented or misunderstood but he is not really an innocent party in it.

That's the thing though. Despite being a bit of an rear end in a top hat he does care about his party and his party appreciates the fact that he puts up with their weirdness.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I watched this show over the past few days. I'm pretty sure I like it, the fantasy parody elements are funny and the hard-labour montage in the first episode was charming. I find the typical anime 'fanservice' moments irritating/creepy though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Roach Warehouse posted:

I watched this show over the past few days. I'm pretty sure I like it, the fantasy parody elements are funny and the hard-labour montage in the first episode was charming. I find the typical anime 'fanservice' moments irritating/creepy though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hunt11 posted:

That's the thing though. Despite being a bit of an rear end in a top hat he does care about his party and his party appreciates the fact that he puts up with their weirdness.

Sure but during the moment where a guy who is clearly better than Kazuma in every way (on paper) makes an offer for them to join him instead of Kazuma, he can only think of them as problematic party members who just won't leave.

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

Roach Warehouse posted:

You must embrace the tity.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Argas posted:

Sure but during the moment where a guy who is clearly better than Kazuma in every way (on paper) makes an offer for them to join him instead of Kazuma, he can only think of them as problematic party members who just won't leave.

Saying that they're all incompetent is not mean, it's stating an objective fact.

Also the guy is probably a shittier adventurer than Kazuma, he's just coasted his way to the top entirely on his weapon, he's useless without it.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Technically Kazuma taking the guys sword and selling it was the right thing to do since the guy was trying to take Kazumas godly relic himself.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Roach Warehouse posted:

Old adtrw is dead, the pretending is over.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Roach Warehouse posted:

As fanservice goes this is waaaaay on the low end. Haven't seen one lovingly rendered cameltoe yet.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Namtab posted:

e: thought this was the chat thread :saddowns:

Jostiband fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 17, 2016

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

l33tc4k30fd00m posted:

You must embrace the tity.

:yeah:

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

I'm really glad I didn't drop this after the first episode.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
So that was episode six. Like a moronic Voltron, the heroes combined to thoroughly humiliate Verdia with the power of joined idiocy! My favourite moment was just a small detail: Darkness missing with her super attack, much to Verdia's surprise (but no one else's) and going red like a signal flare.

While I think they're all doing a great job, Aqua's voice actor is just hitting it out of the park. She's really great at big, cartoony emoting.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That was stupid, gloriously stupid. Poor guy just wanted to be a boss fight, and that is what he got instead?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
This is the best show ever.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Did he steal those two girls' panties in Ep5, or just make them run away by threatening to?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He just threatened to do so.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Namtab posted:

Grimgar thread having 9 pages to this one's 3 is all the evidence we need to the contrary. :v:

Regardless, this show works around its tropes relatively well and if nothing else, stealing the guy's sword as a moment redeems this show in its entirety.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

Emalde posted:

Grimgar thread having 9 pages to this one's 3 is all the evidence we need to the contrary. :v:

It's an action show and there's more to discuss per episode, I wouldn't attribute a higher pagecount or viewship to that.

Reds fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 18, 2016

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

This show owns. So far it's the surprise hit of the season.

Drutten posted:

While I think they're all doing a great job, Aqua's voice actor is just hitting it out of the park. She's really great at big, cartoony emoting.

I was a big fan of Verdia's voice actor this episode too.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Open letter to Crunchyroll: Cutting off the Gospel of Megumin is an injustice that will not stand.

And yeah, Verdia's VA did an excellent job.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Kytrarewn posted:

Open letter to Crunchyroll: Cutting off the Gospel of Megumin is an injustice that will not stand.

And yeah, Verdia's VA did an excellent job.

Didn't someone say the cutoff previews are that way in the original broadcast too?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

I've just started watching this. I'm four episodes in (the explosion training montage was great), and you know what, for a Studio Deen show, this has actually been animated alright.

I think the main standout for me has been the voice acting, and the variety of the types of gags. Its a cool show. I think it and Grimgar make for good companion pieces tonally.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
All the "creepy" webms and gifs so far from the series forced me to hit my friend on the head because she didn't buy into my "like playing D&D with funny idiots" explanation but Megumin and Darkness sold the series to her.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
If it wasnt obvious the reason Aqua wanted the purification job in episode 5 was because her boss was angry at her for running off to help Megumin cast explosion. Also the reason Megumin didnt want to cast explosion during the purification job is she was saving it for the castle :v:

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Iretep posted:

If it wasnt obvious the reason Aqua wanted the purification job in episode 5 was because her boss was angry at her for running off to help Megumin cast explosion. Also the reason Megumin didnt want to cast explosion during the purification job is she was saving it for the castle :v:

Also, Aqua was in the middle of the crocs and I don't think she'd appreciate explosion dropped on her like Darkness would.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
This is also the VA for the newest PreCure.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Emalde posted:

About 70% of that thread is complaining about the animation quality. :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
This show owns.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Blhue posted:

Didn't someone say the cutoff previews are that way in the original broadcast too?

Just confirmed that for myself. In the original TV broadcast, it cuts off at the same place and then goes to a "brand sponsor" message from Kadokawa/Bushiroad which CR had just chopped off the end for some reason or another.

Maybe the full gospels will be a bluray extra feature, along with the RPGMaker game?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I thought I would get sick of Darkness's gimmick, but it is still just as funny as the rest of the show.

This is more a reflection of myself rather than the show, since my brain mostly shuts off when watching something so ridiculous and goofy.

In summary, everything is good and fun, yay anime

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Between this and the Rakugo anime, somehow Deen is killing it this season.

AnacondaHL posted:

In summary, everything is good and fun, yay anime

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
So is this basically this season's Ixion Saga DT? But with skill points in stealing instead of nutshots?

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
This show feels like Working!! to me: Standard characters in a common setting with a dumb plot, but with such an amazing sense of timing that it's loving beautiful.

Kibibit fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 20, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Yeah, I'd say that a lot of the appeal of this show is how well it is directed.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
the whole voice cast is doing a great job too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2EMiLTC9Oc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Man I gotta give this show a try. Also added to the season thread OP. Better late than never.