Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
KonoSuba is like an RPG session where the heroes are supposed to go on a grand adventure and kill the Devil King, only everyone’s just goofing around and nobody really cares about the stupid main quest.

Grimgar, which is the most obvious comparison, is clearly the better show, but KonoSuba's way of using basically the same premise and filling it with alarmingly resourceful idiots is just hilarious. I've been cackling like a moron through the four episodes that have aired (as of this writing), and after each one I always end up looking forward to the next even more. So I think KonoSuba deserves a thread even if there are only three people watching the show.

What's it called? KonoSuba – God’s Blessing on this Wonderful World! (Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!)
Where is it? Crunchyroll has it. Simulcasts on Wednesdays 7:35pm CET.
Who made it? Studio Deen.
How many episodes? 11.
Violence: No gore, just slapstick.
Fan service: Plenty of jiggly bits and naughty gags, as God intended.
Romance: None yet.

Kazuma

MC. Thief. Used to be a hopeless otaku, then he suffered a sudden and embarrassing death. In the afterlife he got to choose between going to heaven (which has no TV) or becoming an adventurer in a parallel world threatened by the Devil King. He chose the second option.

Notable achievements: In the third episode he learns the Steal skill, which he immediately puts to excellent use. He also put some points into Elemental Magic, so now he can fill a glass with water from halfway across the room, which is pretty much what he expected from something as lame as Elemental Magic.

Aqua

Arch Priest. Hasn't really healed anyone yet. Spends most of her skill points on useless party tricks.

Megumin

Crimson Demon Arch Wizard. Will spend all her skill points on Explosion Magic and NOTHING ELSE. On the one hand, her spells are like tactical nukes. On the other, she passes out for the rest of the day after casting one.

Darkness

Crusader. Tank and total masochist. Good hearted and very determined to take all the damage and abuse. Creeps Kazuma out on a daily basis.

Cabbage

The most dangerous encounter yet.

Dullahan

The Devil King’s general. Very annoyed with Megumin, who's been casting Explosion on his spooky castle every day to level up her skill.

Nothing groundbreaking, just solid fun, and that's about it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
A lot of things to love in the four episodes so far, but the standouts are the whole "kill five frogs" quest, how Kozuma's randomized Steal skill seems to be stuck on a perfect roll, and how, when they just got a really epic quest on their hands, Aqua just had to go and do something that wasn't a party trick and ruin everything by clearing it in five seconds.

Darkness creeping out Dullahan was also brilliant, as was the Explosion training montage. And in the next episode, it looks like the group will get their hands on a cursed sword!

Megumin is the best, though Darkness the Masochist Tank isn't far behind.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
The opening is pretty standard, but yeah, the ED is great. It's one of the few I sit through every time.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
The fifth episode was another good one with a lot of stuff to love: The group weaseling their way to clearing the quest just like you would in any pen-and-paper RPG, how they all view the steely eyed hero as a total dork, and how Kazuma's getting a villainous reputation as an unstoppable stealer of panties.

But best of all was Dullahan being really sore that nobody's invading his creepy castle -- like a neglected dungeon boss with hurt feelings showing up at the city gates and throwing a fit. And now it's just another seven long days until the next episode...

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
So that was episode six. Like a moronic Voltron, the heroes combined to thoroughly humiliate Verdia with the power of joined idiocy! My favourite moment was just a small detail: Darkness missing with her super attack, much to Verdia's surprise (but no one else's) and going red like a signal flare.

While I think they're all doing a great job, Aqua's voice actor is just hitting it out of the park. She's really great at big, cartoony emoting.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Episode 7 was pretty quiet for KonoSuba but Darkness was in fine form throughout, with the highlight being her getting off on having her face smooshed into the snow. And once again, Aqua proved surprisingly competent at exactly the wrong time, which is my favourite thing about her. While telegraphed well in advance, the resurrection gag was great.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
So that was episode eight. A bit more lively than the last one, but I sort of miss the tighter gags of the earlier episodes. It's a shame they skipped an entire episode and only referred to it in flashbacks, but of course their time is very limited.

The best moments this time around was the lich's quick aside where we saw Verdia being a total pervert, and how Aqua went on a furious exorcism rampage (sprinkled with party tricks) because evil spirits drank her booze.

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Episode 9! The brothel of dreams was a neat idea, and Kazuma's voice actor did an excellent job throughout -- but this episode really belonged to Darkness and her unfortunate, unstoppable masochist setting. Still, the best gag was Kazuma's sad realization that no matter how much she leveled up or how many skill points she earned, Aqua would never actually get any smarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drutten
Mar 30, 2011
Brilliant show. The second season can't get here fast enough!