Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

X-O posted:

Deadpool made $41.5 million on early Friday estimates. Is on track for $115 million over the 4 day holiday weekend. Those are early estimates but if they hold it'll make it the highest opening weekend for an R rated film of all time passing Matrix Reloaded.

http://deadline.com/2016/02/deadpool-zoolander-2-how-to-be-single-valentines-weekend-box-office-1201699895/

We line in a world were Deadpool will probably have a higher opening weekend than any other X-Men movie. On a fraction of the budget.

I feel like such a dork saying this but i kind of like Ryan Reynolds and have always wanted success for him, I am happy for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

jet sanchEz posted:

I feel like such a dork saying this but i kind of like Ryan Reynolds and have always wanted success for him, I am happy for him.

Why is that dorky? He seems like a cool dude.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I can't decide whether or not the Hugh Jackman mask is the funniest god drat thing ever.

That and using the corpses to spell out Francis are probably the best payoffs to a running gag I've ever seen.

God, how in the gently caress did this movie turn out so good?

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 13, 2016

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Hollismason posted:

I think one of the best visual gags has to be Angel's Boob falling out, then she just dick punches Colossus 30 loving feet , really hoping in the next movie they're a couple

Negasonic really needs to return for the next film.

I also love that Colossus is blocking her boob even from the audience, who by this point has already seen like a dozen breasts and a penis.

I love Boy Scout Colossus :3:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm genuinely shocked. The humor seemed so insular and reference heavy based on the trailers. I thought for sure it'd be critically derided and barely make money.

Always cool when a movie surprises you

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

LORD OF BUTT posted:

(also did anyone else think the CGI for Colossus looked like complete poo poo? The character was absolutely hilarious and got over with me on that alone, but man, that was Scorpion King level janky-looking.)

I think Colossus was made less chrome-y than he is in the comics so the CGI artists didn't have to worry about rendering highly detailed reflections on his skin.

I can't wait to see what sort of cut scenes and alternate takes are on the Blu-Ray/DVD. Watching the trailers it seems like there is a lot that didn't make it into the movie. Like Vanessa's "I've played a lot of roles" line to Ajax Francis or her punching Angel Dust when she is kidnapped.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

I can't decide whether or not the Hugh Jackman mask is the funniest god drat thing ever.

That and using the corpses to spell out Francis are probably the best payoffs to a running gag I've ever seen.

Hugh Jackman mask was p. good.

And the movie turned out well because TJ Miller and the others involved identified how to make a movie like this work. There are very few scenes entirely sapped of comedy, and the ones that get bleak still have jokes, because Deadpool is at its best when the content of the story is dark and grim while the tone of our protagonist only wavers from sarcastic, comedic confidence to seething anger. Despite all of the humor you can find in well-written Deadpool, he's always struck me as a more interesting take on a hero like the Hulk; Deadpool's only genuine-seeming emotion, ever, is when he is angry, or (very occasionally) when he is sentimentally moved by someone/something despite himself. The rest of his personality is functionally just a veneer, or a coping mechanism - at least, that's the vibe I got from reading Cable and Deadpool back-to-back-to-back. It isn't that Deadpool's character or stories have no room for pathos in them, it's that Deadpool himself will not tolerate melodrama without comedy. He's the physical manifestation of "when faced with tragedy, you can either laugh or cry."

It's evident everywhere in the film that Wade Wilson's life is and has been horrific, and the only reason that he isn't a mass murderer with that skill set is for precisely the reason Colossus lays out - Wade is fundamentally heroic, even if he has to repeat a mantra dictating that he is not. Going back and reading some of Daniel Way's Deadpool, it's hard to root for him most times; you really don't want him to succeed a lot, and a lot of what I read makes him pointlessly cruel in the name of a punchline. Movie-Wade opens the narrative, chronologically, having a reputation for going "easy" on prospective targets, and taking bounties/missions/cards/whatever from Weasel that have explicit undertones of heroism. He's still a pretty broken guy (the manner in which he executes his anti-stalker sortie is terrifying), but he isn't hard to root for nor sympathize with.

So we have a compelling protagonist whose worldview influences and colors the entire narrative, up to and including making commentary on that narrative as it is happening because of his fourth-wall awareness, bolstered by very capable supporting characters that play off of his sociopathic tendencies (Colossus as the straight man) or his manic borderline-solipsism (NTW) or his gooey center underneath (Vanessa) or his vitriolic, black-as-gently caress sense of humor (Weasel). A lot of similar movies either have a lot of time spent establishing the villain's motivations, as if they really matter in a superhero film - Ant-Man is fairly guilty of this, and they're the weakest parts of the film - and we tend to, in a first showing, get a story that is basically just a long trailer for a sequel. If this were an MCU joint, it would have been PG-13, Deadpool would have had a "compelling" rival/antagonist, and the entire runtime would have been spent illustrating their origin stories before Samuel L. Jackson appeared post-credits to tease Deadpool 2.

Instead, the movie wisely chooses to just let Ryan Reynolds be awesome and carry the movie, with help from fine acting jobs boosting him up (Baccarin and Miller are really great in this flick, y'all), and spends almost zero time on the ~mysterious organization~ that gave Deadpool his powers, or why Ajax is such an unrelenting douchebag, or whatever. The players involved know that the movie hinges on how much we like and root for Deadpool, nails that part, and then gives us excellent jokes and good action set pieces as garnish.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It was pretty good. Not excellent, not as surprisingly good as Ant-Man, but... it was alright. Would have preferred the insults to be a bit more creative as opposed to just crude - even if TNW does have probably the best put-down to DP for using them.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Samovar posted:

It was pretty good. Not excellent, not as surprisingly good as Ant-Man, but... it was alright. Would have preferred the insults to be a bit more creative as opposed to just crude - even if TNW does have probably the best put-down to DP for using them.

I can agree with this.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Thought the movie was just okay. Better than I expected any Deadpool movie to be. Some of the lines were groan worthy but there were chuckles to be had too. I thought Deadpool worked best when he had Colossus and Warhead to bounce off of - or even his girlfriend/cab driver.

Giving him a steady sidekick in the sequel should work out even better.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Harlock posted:

"Bob!?"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A great script. These were two of my favorite gags in the whole screenplay and I was hoping at least the first would get in there. It's so drat weird, funny and also kind of sweet and sad at the same time.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

MH Knights posted:

I think Colossus was made less chrome-y than he is in the comics so the CGI artists didn't have to worry about rendering highly detailed reflections on his skin.

I can't wait to see what sort of cut scenes and alternate takes are on the Blu-Ray/DVD. Watching the trailers it seems like there is a lot that didn't make it into the movie. Like Vanessa's "I've played a lot of roles" line to Ajax Francis or her punching Angel Dust when she is kidnapped.
This might be one of those rare times when the Unrated DVD might actually be amazing. Most times, at least IMO, the Unrated versions of comedies suck because the "extra stuff" is usually jokes, gags and scenes that were cut specifically because they were LESS funny, impactful, or relevant then the stuff that made it into the film. Like, "oh no we're saying the F word too many times, let's just cut this dialogue sequence that didn't play as well as THIS dialogue sequence" etc. etc.

But Deadpool got run through the ringer by the censors so any cut material will have been cut because it was absolutely gonzo, and not because it was good but not great.

Also, I think the best reaction to a joke was the "You don't have a cat? Then whose sandbox did I just take a poo poo in?" It came out of nowhere and shocked the audience into a real delayed-reaction laugh because it was just so loving random. AND THEY NEVER ANSWER IT!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

AnimeJune posted:

Also, I think the best reaction to a joke was the "You don't have a cat? Then whose sandbox did I just take a poo poo in?" It came out of nowhere and shocked the audience into a real delayed-reaction laugh because it was just so loving random. AND THEY NEVER ANSWER IT!

The silent look shared between Reynolds and the other actor after that line was great too.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Studio Friday estimate - 47.5 million.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Harlock posted:

Like Cable.

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!
Definitely loved it. I had a group of teenagers who somehow snuck in and wouldn't shut the gently caress up so another patron got a manager to kick them out, but other than that the crowd was fine. I think for the next one, i'm not going to watch any trailers. Outside of the flashbacks you really got the entire movie in the trailers and nothing really felt very new to me.

On another note, not into the comics, but if I enjoyed the movie, then I assume the deadpool game will be worth a playthrough?

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Crunkjuice posted:

Definitely loved it. I had a group of teenagers who somehow snuck in and wouldn't shut the gently caress up so another patron got a manager to kick them out, but other than that the crowd was fine. I think for the next one, i'm not going to watch any trailers. Outside of the flashbacks you really got the entire movie in the trailers and nothing really felt very new to me.

On another note, not into the comics, but if I enjoyed the movie, then I assume the deadpool game will be worth a playthrough?

no. the game is loving awful, stay away.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I saw it again last night and I had a young couple repeat every joke in the film, and this old man in front of me was using his phone. So I moved. But the old guy never put down his phone except during the action scenes.

People are scum.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

NecroMonster posted:

no. the game is loving awful, stay away.

You can see the cutscenes on youtube. There are a few good moments. The scenes with Death. The bicycle. The dog. Using thought boxes as a way to get across a big hole. I'm sure there were more.

Edit:

CelticPredator posted:

I saw it again last night and I had a young couple repeat every joke in the film, and this old man in front of me was using his phone. So I moved. But the old guy never put down his phone except during the action scenes.

Good god, I know the script was leaked but still. Did they memorize the leaked script, or did they go to it two many times in the last two days that they memorized it that way?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No, they just repeated the joke as it came. Like during the opening titles-

"Oh lol a BRITISH VILLIAN lol" "LOL a HOT CHICK".

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Were you in my theater, CP? Because yeah, I had the same kind of dude, but at a Thursday night showing.

Plus some dude who would have some sort of weird seizure whenever a joke was told. I'm talking kicking the bar in front of him, flailing around, etc.

The second dude actually left the theater saying "Yeah man, this movie is gonna be the biggest movie in history, gonna outsell Star Wars" :laffo:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jessssussss.

I also had some guy who made HERRR HERRR noises when he laughed. My town has a garbage theater, that's filled with garbage paterons.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
I'm really happy that this movie is doing good because I just saw and it was everything I wanted :allears:

It was weird seeing a bunch of kids sitting near the front row to watch it

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
It surprises the hell out of me how much I enjoyed this! It certainly earns its R rating with the gratuitous violence and nudity, but it fits in with what I would expect out of a Deadpool movie. I had low to medium expectations going in but this certainly passed those big time.

The self-awareness, humor and good use of breaking the fourth wall was a refreshing change of pace (a palette cleanser) to typical superhero movies imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm really happy that this movie is doing good because I just saw and it was everything I wanted :allears:

It was weird seeing a bunch of kids sitting near the front row to watch it

I woulda loved this movie as a kid.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Can we have more Dopinder in Deadpool 2, by the way, he was incredible

Fiberoptic Fable
Sep 6, 2011
Hell Gem

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Can we have more Dopinder in Deadpool 2, by the way, he was incredible

That depends, since he is going to prison for kidnapping and illegal possession of firearms.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Can we talk a moment about how loving MARROW was in this movie?

Okay, maybe it was just some other chick with bone spikes but no gently caress that it was Marrow and I'm geek in out.

Also Bob, Agent of Hydra. He better be in the sequel.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Crunkjuice posted:

Hell yeah, the game rocks. I recommend giving the comics a try too for the record.

Inzombiac posted:

Can we talk a moment about how loving MARROW was in this movie?

Okay, maybe it was just some other chick with bone spikes but no gently caress that it was Marrow and I'm geek in out.

Speaking of characters in MvC games, how come Deadpool never said "Pineapple Surprise!"?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just got done seeing it at an IMAX that was 2/3 full at a noon showing. I have a feeling there's some huge word of mouth going on. I've been getting a lot of texts from people on it since Thursday night.

I'm still trying to decide if "Deadpool stalking over and arguing with the director while everyone else is just confusing seeing him arguing with nothing" would have been too much or perfect cap to the 4th wall stuff. I feel like it was a missed opportunity.

Beach
Dec 13, 2004

No sign of intelligent life on this planet.
I hope we get more of Colossus in the sequel. I know some people were put off by his CGI but I think that is the best the character has ever looked on the screen, and the voice was perfect.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

As I said a while back, avoid the game. It's terribly written and plays like if someone with no hands tried to remake devil may cry. Not with getting, especially since they doubled the price since it was unlisted and rereleased.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The game seems to be what people think about when they say how much they hate Deadpool. Just annoying, unfunny, random bullshit.

I really hate that duel voices poo poo. It's really, really grating.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vince MechMahon posted:

As I said a while back, avoid the game. It's terribly written and plays like if someone with no hands tried to remake devil may cry. Not with getting, especially since they doubled the price since it was unlisted and rereleased.

Counterpoint, don't avoid it, it's good. Or watch some gameplay and make your own mind. The guns can hurt enemies so it's not like DMC.

Random note, there's already been pages of people saying the game is good or bad. I wonder why somebody wouldn't just check it out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Counter point- Daniel Way wrote it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CelticPredator posted:

Counter point- Daniel Way wrote it.

Joe Kelly ghost wrote it, they said it was Way to scare you off.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sounds like bad marketing. And no way that's Joe Kelly.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CelticPredator posted:

Sounds like bad marketing. And no way that's Joe Kelly.

I'm joking, I just think it's a bit silly to say "this unpopular writer wrote it" as a criticism in and of itself. And being a video game, it's a bit different than comics, and I'd assume there were more cooks in the kitchen. Plus the dialogue etc is only part of the experience of a game.

Even if it's not 100% your ideal portrayal of Deadpool, it's a fun romp with fun combat in my book at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think the game had some really funny parts, like being able to continuously hit Wolverine, but the gameplay is pretty repetitive and there is a severe lack of different enemies. Some boss battles are also no fun and a slog.

I'd suggest watching a Let's Play.

I will say that I do kinda hope they describe Cable in the next movie the way they do in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZul4hIqmi4

• Locked thread