Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Shifty Pony posted:

Actually, people not having accounts suffering negative impact is why this idea (which keeps coming up in various forms) keeps getting dogpiled by lawsuits as soon as it goes live.

You see older people are significantly less likely to have a social media account, making this effectively age discrimination which is both illegal and has powerful legal advocacy groups watching for it.

And, yet, young people being 63% less likely to have a credit card isn't age discrimination?

gently caress old people protectionism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korean Barbecue Slut
Aug 6, 2009
Can someone tell me what this Unicorn does - that justifies its valuation?

Okta.com

Funded by the best and smartest in the valley ~~~ just trying to understand how this is worth so much.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

a foolish pianist posted:

This actually seems pretty useful - I've often wanted to travel between a couple of small Michigan airports, but charter flights for just me would be insane. If there were a small-plane rideshare for getting from Detroit to Traverse City, I'd use it (I hate highway driving).

This would be interesting but, as already noted, probably not economical. However, NewLeaf isn't doing that or anything similar. They're chartering aircraft to fly regular, scheduled routes. They are basically a regular airline in every respect except they don't lease, own or operate any airplanes. If that sounds confusing and stupid, it's because it is!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tuxedo Gin posted:

And, yet, young people being 63% less likely to have a credit card isn't age discrimination?

gently caress old people protectionism.

you can get a credit rating without a credit card

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Popular Thug Drink posted:

you can get a credit rating without a credit card

Won't help much; if you're a young person in America your income is probably complete rear end and you aren't paying your student debts due to not being able to afford to. Young people frequently have awful debt to income ratios which wrecks your credit score.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Won't help much; if you're a young person in America your income is probably complete rear end and you aren't paying your student debts due to not being able to afford to. Young people frequently have awful debt to income ratios which wrecks your credit score.

yeah but if you're not spending money at all then how can you build a credit score

renting an apartment and having bills in your name builds credit. your hypothetical twentysomething with no income and student loan debt isn't going to be helped much anyway by assessing their financial solvency via instagram posts

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

renting an apartment and having bills in your name builds credit.

Uh, the vast majority of landlords and utility/"bill" companies do not report unless your payments are delinquent. It would be pretty rare for either to actually help your credit. I've been renting at various places for 13 years and never had my rent show up on my credit report - same with utilities and other bills.

1/10 in America have NO credit. This is mostly young people <30. 15% of Black and hispanic Americans have no credit. So the no credit penalty for things like rental applications (and even some job applications) is absolutely discriminatory against young people, blacks, and hispanics (who are, interestingly enough, the demographics that most landlords would mentally penalize anyway).

skybolt_1
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Shoe

Vape Bag posted:

Can someone tell me what this Unicorn does - that justifies its valuation?

Okta.com

Funded by the best and smartest in the valley ~~~ just trying to understand how this is worth so much.

Basically these guys are in the single sign-on and federated identity management space. The idea is that your end users all launch applications (cloud, usually, sometimes locally hosted) from a central portal site delivered via Okta. Okta builds SAML bridges / interfaces out which tell those applications "Hey, this here is skybolt_1, a user of Evilcorp, Inc., who has these rights and permissions. Give him access" and provided that everything talks to each other over the interface, it magically works, from the end user's standpoint.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

skybolt_1 posted:

Basically these guys are in the single sign-on and federated identity management space. The idea is that your end users all launch applications (cloud, usually, sometimes locally hosted) from a central portal site delivered via Okta. Okta builds SAML bridges / interfaces out which tell those applications "Hey, this here is skybolt_1, a user of Evilcorp, Inc., who has these rights and permissions. Give him access" and provided that everything talks to each other over the interface, it magically works, from the end user's standpoint.

Yeah we use Okta at work, it's way nicer than having a separate password (or worse, the same password) for dozens of external services. Plus if someone leaves then there's only one central place to remove their account.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Aaaaaaaaand Microsoft just bought LinkedIn for $26B.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

neonnoodle posted:

"Using this service requires you to install Windows 10. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I would complain but Linkedin is pretty Microsoft-y already so whatever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Walgreens formally ends Theranos deal.
:sever:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

neonnoodle posted:

I'm glad with yahoo in its death roes Microsoft is stepping up to the plate to buy up dying companies that were a big deal a decade ago

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

neonnoodle posted:

Now they will replace all the lovely aspirational Steve Jobs quotes that make up 90% of LinkedIn posts with Bill Gates ones.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Someone make all the elon musk questions on quora go away.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Elizabeth Holmes is going to do a presentation on Theranos' technology at the annual conference of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry.

quote:

The embattled Theranos founder and CEO, soon to be played by actress Jennifer Lawrence in a movie based on her company’s recent battles, has agreed to present the company’s blood-testing technology at a major medical conference Aug. 1. It’s the first time Holmes will come face to face with her peers — and critics — in the scientific community, after insisting for years that she couldn’t reveal the details of her Edison technology lest rivals copy it.

Holmes can expect a tough audience, especially given the controversy over whether Edison actually works. Last month, the company notified patients and doctors that it was voiding tens of thousands of test results going back two years. But the real blood sport will come after the presentation, when 200 members of the national media will question Holmes about the cornucopia of investigations Theranos faces from the Justice Department, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulatory agencies.
Experts in microfluidics, a key aspect of the technological blood-testing frontier Theranos has staked out, would normally present studies and answer questions from other scientists at the annual conference of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry.

“We’ve been aware of Theranos for some time,” said Molly Polen, a spokeswoman for the association. “We’ve been asking Holmes to speak for a few years now.”

Under fire from all sides, Holmes finally accepted the group’s offer to speak at this year’s conference in Philadelphia.

“This is the place for her to showcase her technology to experts in her field and to determine whether it has validity or not,” Polen said.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So, against the going price for LinkedIn and Candy Crush, was the Star Wars sale to Disney at 4 billion a steal? And it is it the only multi-billion property that will realistically turn a profit after it changes hands?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So, against the going price for LinkedIn and Candy Crush, was the Star Wars sale to Disney at 4 billion a steal? And it is it the only multi-billion property that will realistically turn a profit after it changes hands?

I think the difference there is that Disney just bought the rights to Star Wars, not an entire company with employees and offices and whatnot, as far as I'm aware.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Haha that's enough to fund NASA for 18 months.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I think it was a steal at $4 bil, especially given that Disney knows exactly how to exploit what they bought for an insane amount of money.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

neonnoodle posted:

I swore that you forgot a decimal point, but nope. In what world is LinkedIn worth that much? The ROI has to be pitiful on that sort of outlay. I assume there will be a ton of terms going with that purchase.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Maybe, if you're following the latest trends, you buy materials for a raised bed then fill with bought soil.

Ok - I used to make fun of this as well, until my sis-in-law, who is a legit loving farmhand, saw me growing some turnips in the soil in my garden and grabbed me and was like DID YOU TEST YOUR SOIL, and of course I hadn't, I'd just plopped loving seeds in there. She told me to throw them all out because it's not safe to just eat food grown in whatever soil without making sure there haven't been chemicals leached into it, etc. This is a very good point considering that a lot of agent orange was manufactured in Jersey and there tends to be big-rear end pockets of it left in the soil in NY and NJ. I even knew that last fact but somehow totally forgot and thought, drrrr, seed go in earf, eet food!!!

So the raised soil bed is because the soil is essentially guaranteed safe to use and people can skip all the hassle of testing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(Note: I garden, in the soil that came with my house. I do my best to use organic-sourced fertilizer and, if necessary, fungicides. I'm just under no illusions that it's cost-effective or low-impact.)

Yo bro do some testing on yr soil to make sure yr poo poo is safe to eat.

Johns Hopkins has got you covered

http://www.jhsph.edu/research/cente...ety%20Guide.pdf

Also please keep posting about Elizabeth Holmes because this poo poo is hilarious.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
what's with all the loving mattress startups lately?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

nachos posted:

matresses are loving expensive and nobody knows what makes a mattress good

ripe for disruption

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

nachos posted:

It's a good place to stuff all your cash if you don't want it to go anywhere

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 14, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
are you loving kidding me? you can buy from any number of memory foam suppliers on amazon and you won't pay more than 500 bucks

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Tuxedo Gin posted:

matresses are loving expensive and nobody knows what makes a mattress good

ripe for disruption

there's also a lot of intentional obfuscation by the big brands such as regional model naming to discourage price comparisons

the markup/margin is also significant

so yea ripe for disruption is accurate as hell

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

WampaLord posted:

I think the difference there is that Disney just bought the rights to Star Wars, not an entire company with employees and offices and whatnot, as far as I'm aware.

There's no way that the employees and leased office space makes up for the cost difference between these examples.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

It was all of Lucasfilm, right? Granted, its value is like 95% Star Wars, but even that 5% that is Indiana Jones is probably worth a billion dollars on its own.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Elizabeth Holmes is going to do a presentation on Theranos' technology at the annual conference of the American Association for Clinical Chemistry.

quote:

Holmes can expect a tough audience, especially given the controversy over whether Edison actually works. Last month, the company notified patients and doctors that it was voiding tens of thousands of test results going back two years. But the real blood sport will come after the presentation, when 200 members of the national media will question Holmes about the cornucopia of investigations Theranos faces from the Justice Department, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other regulatory agencies.

Have these people been to a scientific conference? :allears:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Have these people been to a scientific conference? :allears:

"Shouldn't that graph have error bars?"
(sound of machetes being sharpened, or in some cases deliberately dulled)

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Yeah, the scientists are definitely gonna rip her apart worse than the reporters. She'll probably too stupid to understand how much she's being shredded at the conference, though.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does anyone know if this conference is recorded or live streamed or something? I want to watch this so bad. This isn't MBA bullshit hour, this is going to be a room full of experts on this subject and the only way she is going to escape direct and copious making GBS threads on her company's work (or lack thereof) is to say nothing of value at all.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Uh why is she doing this again?

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Charlatans always end up buying into their own bullshit eventually.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hail Mary. It's like every American exceptionalist movie fairy tale. Rugged individual overcomes insurmountable odds to prosper and thrive. She's like Rudy, or the guy in good will hunting or John Nash, just more aggrieved because she's got the government AND shareholders working against her.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

50% chance she's operating under the delusion that some breakthrough test results will come through between now and then and when it doesn't she'll back out last minute.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I swore that you forgot a decimal point, but nope. In what world is LinkedIn worth that much? The ROI has to be pitiful on that sort of outlay. I assume there will be a ton of terms going with that purchase.

LinkedIn is publicly traded. Looks like the market felt it was worth $130/share before Microsoft's offer. Times 118 million shares is about $15 billion.

Microsoft offering about 46% above that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The Star Wars films, like all films, will never technically turn a profit because if they did a whole lot of people—for example, actors—would be owed residuals.