Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
reading paperbacks is cool, but i enjoy audio books when im in the car or at the gym

ive been listening to golden son by pierce brown and the martian by andy weir. the martian is better than the movie i think. golden son is ehhh, decent. share your ipod library hits itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I was recommended The Winds of War, a 46 hour historical fiction set during WWII.

Iain M. Banks books narrated by Peter Kenny are pretty good.

Some narrations are poo poo. Like they couldn't spend the 2 minutes to confirm the pronunciation of a word that comes up frequently in the story; or, they are inconsistent on the pronunciation of a character or place name: unnecessary Dr. Hyde and Mr. Jekyll bullshit.

the pizza police
Oct 8, 2009

justice delivered in 20 minutes or less
audible gave the chimes for free but i never listened to it

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Nothing gets me pumped and running to a good rythem like the dull droning of audio books.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Listened to an inspector rebus audiobook on a road trip a couple years ago.

Would recommend.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Nothing gets me pumped and running to a good rythem like the dull droning of audio books.

please dont recommend this book, as its clearly a piece of poo poo

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I'm listening to THE WHEEL OF TIME by Robert Jordan.

Currently I am getting through the dragon reborn. It is probably my favorite so far, Aiel storyline is pretty sweet.

I hope that Nyneve and Elaine die soon. I'm sick of their boring goddamn boy problem bullshit. I want a Trolloc to come rape them both to death with a stinky horse dick.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dave_Indeed posted:

I hope that Nyneve and Elaine die soon.

hahah oh you sweet summer child. how about instead he adds 3 more characters that are just as annoying for the rest of the entire series?

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

My only regret in audiobook choice is that the Powder Mage Trillogy books don't have enough scenes of the greatest head chef of an army in book history.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BBC is king of the Audio Dramas

Their Hercule Poirot and Sherlock Holmes series are A+, #1 stuff

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Also their Miss Marple stuff

In contrast, Black Library does very, very poor Audio Dramas

The stuff BBC put out in the 90's/00's is better than a lot of movies.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
Masters of Doom is a fun look into the history of iD software, and how Daikatana fell off the rails.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

the only good audio book is a dead audio book imo

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
your imo is bad and you should feel bad, imo.

MiracleWhale
Jun 30, 2015

CowboyAndy posted:

your imo is bad and you should feel bad, imo.

i'm going to record the unabridged version of my imo and release it on audible and it's gonna cost two credits motherfucker

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Perdido Street Station read by John Lee.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uqrlw3LFs0

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I love reading. I have audio books from hundreds of authors.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

MiracleWhale posted:

i'm going to record the unabridged version of my imo and release it on audible and it's gonna cost two credits motherfucker

Have it voiced by Will Wheaton and you've got yourself a sale

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think there's a version of Junkie read by William S. Burroughs on youtube

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Ray Porter is a great reader. I'll listen to almost anything he's read. I'm working through the works of Jonathan Maberry right now. Finished off the Joe Ledger series and am now listening to the Pine Deep trilogy (Pine deep isn't read by Porter). I also like Peter Clines' "14", also read by Porter.

Lord Superchrome
Aug 8, 2012
I can speak on this.
For a larf, Tracy Morgan reading his own autobiography, I Am the New Black - If only for the part where he describes making GBS threads in a pool for revenge
The "Recorded Books - Unabridged" version of Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian is really well done. The narrator is unflinching through all the brutality, and his reading of a few specific lines stuck with me.
I also listened to The Road as an audiobook, now that I think of it. The narrator of that one did a good job of the kid's voice. Papa....
The worst audiobook I've ever heard was Heart of Darkness read by an American dude who attempted all the British accents, and it was distractingly bad.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Frank Muller reading Moby Dick is a god tier audiobook

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
The Black Company audiobook series is really good, it helped me get through a lot of commutes.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Dave_Indeed posted:

Currently I am getting through the dragon reborn. It is probably my favorite so far, Aiel storyline is pretty sweet.

I hope that Nyneve and Elaine die soon. I'm sick of their boring goddamn boy problem bullshit. I want a Trolloc to come rape them both to death with a stinky horse dick.

The audiobook versions are really good. Nynaeve eventually get's better but Elayne never stops being a dumb oval office.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
The Flashman Papers

The books are good and the reader sounds just like the protagonist (a self-deprecating scumbag who rises through polite society and the early 19th century British military through incredible luck).

BondSworeSuccinctly
Oct 27, 2007

Revenge of the Sith by Matthew Stover is great, considerably better than the film in every way.

And Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles read by Frank Muller are a good listen.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dave_Indeed posted:

rand is the dragon and an aiel and he saves the world, egwene becomes the woman archmage and she gavin die in the last book, mat becomes a great general and marries the tsingtsang empress and invents cannons, perrin marries fail and is a werewolf and he also becomes some sort of lord, aragorn dies in the last book too iirc, moranie dies a fake death but comes back and marries the bard who kills like two kings (one was from the french kingdom i think), the princess of england get the french crown too, nynaive marrries aragorn

there, now you dont have to listen to that poo poo

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is the best audiobook series you can get. It's long and good and about the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars. Make sure to get the version that's narrated by Patrick Tull, he's one of the greatest English narrators.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series is the best audiobook series you can get. It's long and good and about the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars. Make sure to get the version that's narrated by Patrick Tull, he's one of the greatest English narrators.

I've wanted to get into this series since I loved the movie so much, glad to hear that the audiobooks are good

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Professor Shark posted:

I've wanted to get into this series since I loved the movie so much, glad to hear that the audiobooks are good

If you loved the Master and Commander, you'll love the audiobooks. I found it useful to google some of the nautical terms used, but it's not necessary. If something is important to the plot, some of the sailors will explain it to Stephen Maturin.

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 8, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

im taking this suggestion, friend. love me some hot naval action and im a sucker for anglo accents

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

If you loved the Master and Commander, you'll love the audiobooks. I found it useful to google some of the nautical terms used, but it's not necessary. If something is important to the plot, some of the sailors will explain it to Stephen Maturin.

No worries, a buddy in the navy got me this:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hogge Wild posted:

rand is the dragon and an aiel and he saves the world, egwene becomes the woman archmage and she gavin die in the last book, mat becomes a great general and marries the tsingtsang empress and invents cannons, perrin marries fail and is a werewolf and he also becomes some sort of lord, aragorn dies in the last book too iirc, moranie dies a fake death but comes back and marries the bard who kills like two kings (one was from the french kingdom i think), the princess of england get the french crown too, nynaive marrries aragorn

there, now you dont have to listen to that poo poo

is that real? Including the books after the guy died? what happens to Lan or whoever the knight who protected the lady was?

I read the first two and thought they were great actually(because I was a retarded 15 year old into fantasy), but I couldn't stand anything after that.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Heard the Godfather ones were good. But I don't read audio books

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Heard the Godfather ones were good. But I don't read audio books

good cause they're meant to be listened to

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Blazing Zero posted:

im taking this suggestion, friend. love me some hot naval action and im a sucker for anglo accents

Professor Shark posted:

No worries, a buddy in the navy got me this:

Nice!

Here's an old and quiet thread about the series: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3393240
Come there to post your opinions or questions about the series when you have started.

Here's another useful site that has translations for the various foreign phrases that the characters use: http://www.agbfinebooks.com/Publications/Perp2004/Home/Perp2004Home.htm
Sometimes when the author uses Latin or French, it means something dirty.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Don Tacorleone posted:

is that real? Including the books after the guy died? what happens to Lan or whoever the knight who protected the lady was?

I read the first two and thought they were great actually(because I was a retarded 15 year old into fantasy), but I couldn't stand anything after that.

Yeah. I was also a fan of the series when I was a retard teen. But series went on and on and on. If I recall correctly, I stopped reading at the 8th book, and started again when the author had died and the other guy had finished the series. I think that I just wanted to find out how it ended, the Game of Thrones series had made me interested in fantasy again and I had time to kill. Lan dies heroically in the end iirc.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Hogge Wild posted:

Yeah. I was also a fan of the series when I was a retard teen. But series went on and on and on. If I recall correctly, I stopped reading at the 8th book, and started again when the author had died and the other guy had finished the series. I think that I just wanted to find out how it ended, the Game of Thrones series had made me interested in fantasy again and I had time to kill. Lan dies heroically in the end iirc.

Nice, thanks. It really felt like they paid the guy by the word. Too bad he died. George RR Martin is going to die before finishing his novels too

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Don Tacorleone posted:

Nice, thanks. It really felt like they paid the guy by the word. Too bad he died. George RR Martin is going to die before finishing his novels too

His wife was his editor, so maybe that explains why she didn't tell him to cut the poo poo out. It could have been a good series, for fantasy that is, if it had been just 3 books instead of 13.

It's a miracle of modern medicine that the fat gently caress hasn't died yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Chris Cazenove does a great read of Johannes Cabal: Necromancer

too bad hes dead now

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 8, 2016

• Locked thread