Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
And I don't mean that we break down the stealth mechanics. No, it's something far darker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
Oh, you poor, poor bastards... I'm so sorry :(

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Wow yes that was some entertaining bad stealth killing. It's just that, again, it's designed for a control pad so you're meant to smoothly weave through the mist as the skull appears and then seamlessly transition to the killing blow. Maybe when you're not checking the menus...

I don't recall if the second weapon execution maybe relates to the grab attack, or holding a direction as you hit the killing blow, but yeah they're good fun.

It's so odd how the game had an excellent atmosphere of an atmosphere but the writing (especially Umah) ruins it all right now. Plus it's astonishing for any game to unashamedly say "we're going to the sewers" partway through a tutorial. Do they expect fist pumps??

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Don't you worry, the game's atmosphere is about to take plunge too. I hate that naming convention.
Gonna disagree on you with the combat - Kain in Defiance is a lot of fun to play once you get the proper Reaver abilities. Of course, he gets the most dickish enemies...

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 8, 2016

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
The Sarafan in this game aren't meant to be the original order. They're basically a result of the big boss guy going "Hey, remember those genocidal warrior-priests who almost completely wiped out the vampires that one time? We're totally gonna do that again." They're Sarafan 2.0

Grimwit
Nov 3, 2012

Those eyes! That hair! You're like a movie star! I must take your picture!
Welp, Alexey, I figured since I had the game on steam (probably came with a game pack) I would suffer along with you guys and install it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the drat game stutter-locks after any length of time playing.

Trying to decide if I want to fix it to play along side you guys is like trying to decide how to get a fire hot enough to brand myself.
Hmmm...

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
A while ago I was planning to do an LP of the first two Blood Omens side by side, but got sidetracked. So, please consider this fanart:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Grimwit posted:

Welp, Alexey, I figured since I had the game on steam (probably came with a game pack) I would suffer along with you guys and install it.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) the drat game stutter-locks after any length of time playing.

Trying to decide if I want to fix it to play along side you guys is like trying to decide how to get a fire hot enough to brand myself.
Hmmm...

If the brand is going on your scrotum, then yes.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Slightly Absurd posted:

This franchise seems like it would've been better served as an animated series. The story, voice acting, and [raziel wise] great design are so good, but it seems like it's all mired in lovely nigh-unplayable game dynamics

Would it?

Someone drew these YEARS ago in a LOK discussion thread in games, I think related to the music? Maybe it was from an LP, I can't remember. The file creation date I have for them is 12/19/2007.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like those are based off this and this, the toon codes from Defiance.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Blood Omen 2 needs a toon code

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

A while ago I was planning to do an LP of the first two Blood Omens side by side, but got sidetracked. So, please consider this fanart:

You got lucky that you got sidetracked
Now, years later, you no longer have to power through BO2 yourself!
(Although the first two thirds of my BO LP are garbage that is almost as bad as BO2)

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I never actually got around to playing BO2, always kind of meant to.

Then I watched the first two videos.

...Alexey, thank you for sacrificing your sanity for us. This game isn't even deliciously over the top the way BO1 was. Even SR's tedious block puzzles aren't as bad as this game is already promising to be. *gets out the popcorn* :allears:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

You got lucky that you got sidetracked
Now, years later, you no longer have to power through BO2 yourself!
(Although the first two thirds of my BO LP are garbage that is almost as bad as BO2)

BO1 has a certain "bad, yet earnest radio drama" vibe going for it.
BO2 is someone's awful "Kain is a tortured, yet still lovable, monster" should-be-fan-wank-but-is-somehow-canon.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Squalitude posted:

It's so odd how the game had an excellent atmosphere of an atmosphere but the writing (especially Umah) ruins it all right now. Plus it's astonishing for any game to unashamedly say "we're going to the sewers" partway through a tutorial. Do they expect fist pumps??

It's interesting to see how inelegantly this game handles the tutorials compared to the other games in the series; BO1 is mostly through Kain's monologue, SR1 is via the Elder God and SR2 is Raziel's monologue. And, contextually it feels right in them - e.g Raziel's thirst for blood being replaced by souls, and being explained both narratively and mechanically in a cohesive fashion.
"The old hunger has left me"
"Your blood-thirst is replaced by a deeper need, etc"
{Press X to Vaccum Souls}

Whereas this is more "Hey, Kain, I know you know how to fight. But do you know how to fight?"
{Press Block to Block}

Most of Umah's dialogue is needlessly repetitious too, like all the info about the Glyph magic/gates which is split into unrelated chunks for some reason.
The most frustrating thing about the game, is that it feels like its on the very cusp of being interesting, with some of the mechanics and story...but it just doesn't quite get there.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

Pesky Splinter posted:

The most frustrating thing about the game, is that it feels like its on the very cusp of being interesting, with some of the mechanics and story...but it just doesn't quite get there.

So it reaches the very cusp, but never quite hits the proper climax, and leaves the player with a horrible case of "unsatisfying game blue balls." :D

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Pesky Splinter posted:

It's interesting to see how inelegantly this game handles the tutorials compared to the other games in the series; BO1 is mostly through Kain's monologue, SR1 is via the Elder God and SR2 is Raziel's monologue. And, contextually it feels right in them - e.g Raziel's thirst for blood being replaced by souls, and being explained both narratively and mechanically in a cohesive fashion.
"The old hunger has left me"
"Your blood-thirst is replaced by a deeper need, etc"
{Press X to Vaccum Souls}

Whereas this is more "Hey, Kain, I know you know how to fight. But do you know how to fight?"
{Press Block to Block}

Most of Umah's dialogue is needlessly repetitious too, like all the info about the Glyph magic/gates which is split into unrelated chunks for some reason.

Exactly

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

DukeofCA posted:

The Sarafan in this game aren't meant to be the original order. They're basically a result of the big boss guy going "Hey, remember those genocidal warrior-priests who almost completely wiped out the vampires that one time? We're totally gonna do that again." They're Sarafan 2.0

I think at this point in the timeline they're actually Sarafan 3.0.

Also, Vorador indeed does the bloodsuck from across the room in the into cinematic to the very first game. It's one of the charming things about this universe. Like, some vampire was goony enough to realize that he was telekinetic enough to never get up to eat again. When Hennig was working on a Star Wars game I was holding out hope for fat goon Jedi, but alas it must remain my own version of the saga.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Well, the way megamanvampire weaponsgifts work in this one, he probably ate a goon. That being said, the whole TK blood drinking is an amazing move that goes a long way to make vampires seem less creepy - removes a lot of sexual innuendo inherent in the archetype.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
He consumed goon's soul

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
And I don't mean a specific soul of a specific goon, I mean goon's soul. All of it

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

I didn't know the lack of vampire biting had a story reason.

I remember hearing that this game takes place in some new timeline created by the other games not that I'd know seeing as how this is the only game in the series that I've played.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Goon's Souls is the worst Souls game.

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

RickVoid posted:

BO1 has a certain "bad, yet earnest radio drama" vibe going for it.
BO2 is someone's awful "Kain is a tortured, yet still lovable, monster" should-be-fan-wank-but-is-somehow-canon.

If I remember right, even though the story presents itself like that, Kain himself is still an unrepentant monster and knows it. He doesn't give a single gently caress and everything is just a step on his path to power.

And even if I'm wrong, I know things are made right in Defiance.

I give credit to Simon Templeman.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Delta Green posted:

If I remember right, even though the story presents itself like that, Kain himself is still an unrepentant monster and knows it. He doesn't give a single gently caress and everything is just a step on his path to power.
One exception leaps to mind and it's probably the most cringeworthy scene in the game. Even Simon Templeman has his limits, apparently.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

anilEhilated posted:

One exception leaps to mind and it's probably the most cringeworthy scene in the game. Even Simon Templeman has his limits, apparently.

One? I can remember a lot of scenes that are beyond redemption by virtue of their aberrant writing, with even Templeman failing to salvage them

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The entire lategame is horrible but the one line still haunts my memory: "You could have been my queen". It's a shame because that scene could have worked with a bit of, well, work. And someone who isn't pants-on-head retarded doing the writing and character designs.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

anilEhilated posted:

The entire lategame is horrible but the one line still haunts my memory: "You could have been my queen". It's a shame because that scene could have worked with a bit of, well, work. And someone who isn't pants-on-head retarded doing the writing and character designs.

And with the fanservice toned SEVERAL notches down.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Guy Fawkes posted:

And with the fanservice toned SEVERAL notches down.

I don't like using this word in the context of boobs, even if that's what it's supposed to mean. Fanservice that does not serve the fans is self-defeating. A "12-year old boys to whom the game is marketed despite being rated M" service, perhaps, but not fanservice
I really do prefer the Soul Reaver 2 fanservice :v:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's definitely true that that's the worst line in the game. I'll gripe more when we get there.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

George posted:

It's definitely true that that's the worst line in the game. I'll gripe more when we get there.

It was a pretty dumb line. Felt the event that preceded it was true to the character, though.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I should make a billionth Dark Souls thread and call it Goon Souls

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Please don't. We can only take so many Dark Souls LP threads. Pretty soon we're going to reach critical mass and the weight of them all will be sufficient to form a Dark Souls singularity that'll obliterate the forums, and Lowtax will be pissed.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

What is going on with that huge rear end pauldron jutting out from Kain? Why is it so far out?
So they need Kain because his face isn't known? Like the skin pale as bone, shirtless, pointy ears and fangs don't scream "I'm a vampire"?

The plot in all LoK games confuse me but this one confuses me in a completely different manner.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
In terms of gameplay, I found BO1, 2 (to an extent) and Defiance to be the most playable of the games in the series. Defiance probably got it right, but I was always impressed with the developers sometimes outright dropping gameplay elements and adding new ones for the sake of experimentation. They did take a lot of different elements from different RPGs at the time which always influenced the general design of the game.

BO2 is a spacial case similar to how Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness was also the black sheep of that series. Despite that, I love the characters, with one of my favourites showing up in the prison later in the game.

I just started viewing from BO1 and I'm almost done with it. I'll catch up with you soon because for some masochistic reason I like this game.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
edit: actually I'm taking out that spoiler, I don't want to ruin that moment for people.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 10, 2016

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

line redacted from sheer horror
poo poo.
Blocked that out.
poo poo.
shitshitshitshit.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 11, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Goddammit, why

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think we need an adult a update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
There will be an update tomorrow, I just never had the time to sit down, edit, and then render the video (everything is recorded and has been since Sunday). 95% of my posting in the last couple of days is phoneposting

• Locked thread